Who Should Be a Future Legendary?

On 22 March 2018 at 11:35 PM, Poimagic said:

This. I want more oc’s at least then people won’t complain about characters they hate getting legendaries since these characters are new. :p

I think people would complain either way, especially considering that the OCs we have now aren't very well developed, plus the story is moving at a snail's pace.

I personally don't care about the OCs unless it's Alfonse, Sharena, Veronica or Bruno. I'd much rather have the Legendary Heroes be actual characters. Mind you, I'll be happier once Marth gets a legenday alt - he should've been first in line, or if the Ike favouritism is really that unstoppable, second in line.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the legendary heroes could be actual characters, that well aren't already in the game maybe?  Hundreds left to add.  Along with all the historical mythological or unplayable characters from the games.  I don't think there is any excuse to just give an alt.  

7 hours ago, Lewyn said:

Well the legendary heroes could be actual characters, that well aren't already in the game maybe?  Hundreds left to add.  Along with all the historical mythological or unplayable characters from the games.  I don't think there is any excuse to just give an alt.  

Money, that is all the excuse they need. That being said FEH is actually much less vicious about alts as they are about any common gacha tropes , but as people touch this genre first eith FEH, people will claim how vicious FEH is anyway. 

18 hours ago, DraceEmpressa said:

Money, that is all the excuse they need. That being said FEH is actually much less vicious about alts as they are about any common gacha tropes , but as people touch this genre first eith FEH, people will claim how vicious FEH is anyway. 

That's the thing, myself and many players only play Heroes and haven't touched any other gacha games (and don't plan to either).  So for us, seeing a bunch of alts instead of getting more new characters from the rich and huge universe of Fire Emblem is very offputting.  I think we got that Thracia preview not only to satisfy fans of that game only, but to appease all the many complaining about alts taking over the game that soon a banner with all new characters will be coming.  

Myself, I've never understood the alt fascination.  I love Eirika, do I care for a new hero alt?  Nope.  I love Celica, was I happy with Fallen Celica, nope.  Regardless of what character one is a fan of, even your very favorite why do you need them in a million different costumes.  Isn't it much more exciting to get a new character?  I guess it is this whole waifu/husbando culture that over worships certain characters.  So they'd rather have 100 alts more than anything else, if that is their 'waifu'.  

42 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

Myself, I've never understood the alt fascination.  I love Eirika, do I care for a new hero alt?  Nope.  I love Celica, was I happy with Fallen Celica, nope.  Regardless of what character one is a fan of, even your very favorite why do you need them in a million different costumes.  Isn't it much more exciting to get a new character?  I guess it is this whole waifu/husbando culture that over worships certain characters.  So they'd rather have 100 alts more than anything else, if that is their 'waifu'.

I’m going to refer you back to the “because money” reason. They could’ve had Knoll be the Gleipnir-wielder on Sacred Memories or had possessed Mareeta on Fallen Heroes. They didn’t do either because, aside from Eirika and Celica both being far more popular and recognizable, they want to make sure that each banner has at least one character that they (IS) know people will eat up. IS / Nintendo are always going to prioritize their bottom line at the end of the day.

2 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

I’m going to refer you back to the “because money” reason. They could’ve had Knoll be the Gleipnir-wielder on Sacred Memories or had possessed Mareeta on Fallen Heroes. They didn’t do either because, aside from Eirika and Celica both being far more popular and recognizable, they want to make sure that each banner has at least one character that they (IS) know people will eat up. IS / Nintendo are always going to prioritize their bottom line at the end of the day.

Then we the playerbase are to blame.  Again which is why I don't understand why apparently the majority want a million copies of Robin, Lucina, Lyn, Ike whatever over actually having new heroes.  I'm upset that IS is doing this, but if that is what makes money they don't deserve the blame.  They are giving the people what they want, which is really disappointingly, alt after alt.

Can someone please explain what the appeal of having so many versions of a character already in the game is?  Why said person would prefer that over a new character, of which there are so many prominent important and popular ones left to add?  I don't get it.  

45 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

Then we the playerbase are to blame.  Again which is why I don't understand why apparently the majority want a million copies of Robin, Lucina, Lyn, Ike whatever over actually having new heroes.  I'm upset that IS is doing this, but if that is what makes money they don't deserve the blame.  They are giving the people what they want, which is really disappointingly, alt after alt.

Can someone please explain what the appeal of having so many versions of a character already in the game is?  Why said person would prefer that over a new character, of which there are so many prominent important and popular ones left to add?  I don't get it.  

Probably is just the appeal of seeing their favorite characters in multiple circunstances and having different dialogue related to these circunstances.

This makes me think in Lancer!Artoria, that actually looks a bit different from the usual Saber!Artoria because of the lore related to her weapons.

Edited by Troykv

1 hour ago, Lewyn said:

Why get new characters you don't like when you could get more of your favorites?

1 hour ago, Arthur97 said:

Why get new characters you don't like when you could get more of your favorites?

So you only like 5 characters in the entire series?  There isn't a single character that hasn't been released that you would like to be in the game?  

23 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

So you only like 5 characters in the entire series?  There isn't a single character that hasn't been released that you would like to be in the game?  

A few (I'd like most Awakening characters added, but only a few make the must have list and one will almost certainly be a GHB), but for the most part I'm good. Sumia is the only real big one left. So, yeah, bring on the alts.

It's important to remember that a unit is more than just their character. It's also their stats, their skills, their weapon type, their movement type, and more. It doesn't matter how much I like male Morgan (my son, after all) if he's just another red infantry mage with basically the same statline as two existing ones. It could be literally any character in the franchise, but if they were a red infantry mage with low 30s attack and 34 speed, then I would not go out of my way to summon for them, let alone spend money on them.

People value the different aspects of what makes a unit differently. It's not as if the actual character holds no meaning to me - it totally does. But for me, it takes a back seat to actual utility - i.e. does this unit make my barracks meaningfully stronger? Others here are interested mostly in who the character is, to the extent of sending home characters they don't like, and that's totally valid too. Just don't act as if that's the only thing that determines whether a unit is desirable.

Now, that in itself has little to do with alts. But the pertinent point here is that IS has shown themselves to be generally unwilling to deviate from the source material when it comes to weapon and movement types (with a few exceptions such as Caeda, Palla and Raven). They're far more willing to put "out-there" combinations on alts. The result is that alts tend to fill much more interesting niches than base units, therefore making them more valuable from a pragmatic viewpoint.

As I said before, I would take infantry Knoll over infantry mage Eirika, but I would take horse mage anyone over infantry Knoll. If IS had shown any willingness to put Knoll on a horse, then sure, I'd totally take him over horse Eirika. Likewise, I currently have minimal interest in Leif because he will almost inevitably be yet another infantry sword. I'd take him over an alt infantry sword such as buff Ike, but I'm also far happier with my horse Chrom than I would be with foot Leif.

P.S. I'd be totally fine with IS making a horse, or better yet, wyvern Leif, but I assume that'd piss off some of the purists. Again, totally valid viewpoints either way, but take the good with the bad: if they're stuck with an oversaturated archetype and you insist on sticking close to the source material, then understand that makes them less desirable, less profitable, and thus a lesser priority to be added to the game.

P.P.S. I'm totally onboard with the idea of grey dragon Robin, that'd be great to me because it's something new and interesting. If it was yet another infantry tome Robin, zzzzzzz. I know a lot of people want Legendary Marth, and if he's a grey breath unit, I'd totally be onboard with that too. If he's just holding another slightly powercreeped Falchion variant, then no thanks, I'd rather them add someone else entirely.

Edited by Humanoid

3 hours ago, Lewyn said:

The same reason why alternate costumes exist in other games and why alternative versions of the same character may exist in collectable card games, especially those based existing works. Gacha games are basically collectable card games in a digital format.

It took the Pokémon TCG 9 months to release all 150 non-Mew first-generation Pokémon (I think) in the U.S., and they already had a non-promotional alternate-version character released by the first expansion. How many people do you remember complaining that Pikachu got an alt card before Articuno got a card? Are you even old enough to remember the release of the Pokémon TCG?

There's also the fact that certain weapon-movement combinations are rare (tome armor, tome flier, breath flier) or non-existent (dagger armor, dagger cavalry, dagger flier, staff armor, breath cavalry) in the main series games, and alternative versions of characters give them the opportunity to add them into the game.

For me, I wouldn't mind Azura with her Diva outfit from Warriors to be the Legendary Warrior of Water. It really makes sense for her to be that. 

But Marth deserves more attention. He's kind of the face of FE since it was introduced in the West. Though idk what element he could be...

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

There's also the fact that certain weapon-movement combinations are rare (tome armor, tome flier, breath flier) or non-existent (dagger armor, dagger cavalry, dagger flier, staff armor, breath cavalry) in the main series games, and alternative versions of characters give them the opportunity to add them into the game.

Could we not make a case for Yukimura?

I don't buy it.  Those strange never before done in main series weapon/movement combinations could be done (and has been done) in seasonal banners, that is what they are there for.  I don't have problem with seasonals being alts that is what they are supposed to be.  However new hero banners should actually be new heroes.  Legendary banner should introduce OCs, or non playable powerful characters from main games.  I mean how lame is it that we only got one new hero in February (Hardin), and looks like we will get one new hero in March (Morgan)?  

Speaking of Pokemon, which I've never played, isn't the point to catch them all?  As in all the different pokemon?  With Fire Emblem heroes isn't the point to collect all the characters?  New characters are more exciting additions, particularly since we usually get some story tidbits and such through them also, than old characters in different costumes.  

Thracia banner, thou art a beacon of light in the darkness.  

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

I guess? Since we put Nowi on a broom after all...

Yeah well there's no broom flying Nowi in the games that I know of so I'm not sure how that compares.

Yukimura is not riding a horse but he's riding a 4-legged contraption of sorts and I see how that could earn him a part of the cavalry class in hero. No need for seasonal variant.  

If he's added, this is sort of what I feel actually makes the most sense for him.

5 hours ago, Humanoid said:

It's important to remember that a unit is more than just their character. It's also their stats, their skills, their weapon type, their movement type, and more. It doesn't matter how much I like male Morgan (my son, after all) if he's just another red infantry mage with basically the same statline as two existing ones. It could be literally any character in the franchise, but if they were a red infantry mage with low 30s attack and 34 speed, then I would not go out of my way to summon for them, let alone spend money on them.

People value the different aspects of what makes a unit differently. It's not as if the actual character holds no meaning to me - it totally does. But for me, it takes a back seat to actual utility - i.e. does this unit make my barracks meaningfully stronger? Others here are interested mostly in who the character is, to the extent of sending home characters they don't like, and that's totally valid too. Just don't act as if that's the only thing that determines whether a unit is desirable.

Now, that in itself has little to do with alts. But the pertinent point here is that IS has shown themselves to be generally unwilling to deviate from the source material when it comes to weapon and movement types (with a few exceptions such as Caeda, Palla and Raven). They're far more willing to put "out-there" combinations on alts. The result is that alts tend to fill much more interesting niches than base units, therefore making them more valuable from a pragmatic viewpoint.

As I said before, I would take infantry Knoll over infantry mage Eirika, but I would take horse mage anyone over infantry Knoll. If IS had shown any willingness to put Knoll on a horse, then sure, I'd totally take him over horse Eirika. Likewise, I currently have minimal interest in Leif because he will almost inevitably be yet another infantry sword. I'd take him over an alt infantry sword such as buff Ike, but I'm also far happier with my horse Chrom than I would be with foot Leif.

P.S. I'd be totally fine with IS making a horse, or better yet, wyvern Leif, but I assume that'd piss off some of the purists. Again, totally valid viewpoints either way, but take the good with the bad: if they're stuck with an oversaturated archetype and you insist on sticking close to the source material, then understand that makes them less desirable, less profitable, and thus a lesser priority to be added to the game.

P.P.S. I'm totally onboard with the idea of grey dragon Robin, that'd be great to me because it's something new and interesting. If it was yet another infantry tome Robin, zzzzzzz. I know a lot of people want Legendary Marth, and if he's a grey breath unit, I'd totally be onboard with that too. If he's just holding another slightly powercreeped Falchion variant, then no thanks, I'd rather them add someone else entirely.

1. Shiida and Palla used swords in the first game.

2.Leif got a horse on promotion in FE4, so there'd be nothing strange about giving him one here.

Edited by Jotari

52 minutes ago, Jotari said:

1. Shiida and Palla used swords in the first game.

2.Leif got a horse on promotion in FE4, so there'd be nothing strange about giving him one here.

Didn't know that, but I'll be happy if it happens. Looks like he can use just about any weapon too so I'd be doubly happy if he didn't use a sword or lance, even though the chances are virtually nil.

3 hours ago, Lewyn said:

I don't buy it.  Those strange never before done in main series weapon/movement combinations could be done (and has been done) in seasonal banners, that is what they are there for.  I don't have problem with seasonals being alts that is what they are supposed to be.  However new hero banners should actually be new heroes.  Legendary banner should introduce OCs, or non playable powerful characters from main games.  I mean how lame is it that we only got one new hero in February (Hardin), and looks like we will get one new hero in March (Morgan)?  

Speaking of Pokemon, which I've never played, isn't the point to catch them all?  As in all the different pokemon?  With Fire Emblem heroes isn't the point to collect all the characters?  New characters are more exciting additions, particularly since we usually get some story tidbits and such through them also, than old characters in different costumes.  

Thracia banner, thou art a beacon of light in the darkness.  

12 hours ago, Lewyn said:

That's the thing, myself and many players only play Heroes and haven't touched any other gacha games (and don't plan to either).  So for us, seeing a bunch of alts instead of getting more new characters from the rich and huge universe of Fire Emblem is very offputting.  I think we got that Thracia preview not only to satisfy fans of that game only, but to appease all the many complaining about alts taking over the game that soon a banner with all new characters will be coming.  

You don't like alts, that's fine. Continously stating that  alts shouldn't be a thing, that's not fine. as there will be people would enjoy it. People are not telling you to liking alts as well, they are telling you to suck it up. 

If they were to introduce new character, what's the odds of people liking them? Granted, people seems to like any OC not Surtr, but you can't exactly tell that they'd sell at once. There are people who will roll units they don't even like for usability, and why don't make them more selling by making an alt of a character that is already popular? 

In a way, alts can also seen for a way whose units that is beyond salvation even with refinement. Henry for example. OG Henry is crap. Halloween Henry is very good.  Not everyone have the patience of building their unsalvagable  biases from scratch, when they could get better alt to start building with.  If you stick to your unsalvagable biases, you cannot proceed thus cannot get orbs for rolling even fodders.  good if your bias is a high tier unit from begin with. If not? 

I personally don't care how many alts my biases would get. But I personally would care how usable they are and would constantly sent feedback, wanting better, usable alt of my biases. I'm an example of quality over quantity person, but there are also quantity over quality people who just want their bias to get more alts. 

Also, Fallen Robin isn't Robin. he states it himself he's Grima.  Similarly, it's all but stated Gen 2 Lewyn is actually Forseti . They might be the same body, but  is different soul thus personality. 

Even Pokemon is a good example of the types of gaming, particularly XY. Your four friends each represent a reason/playstyle, and you, the player, can be anything you want. 

The rival of the gender you didn't choose is the competitive battler style. They built their team to beat anyone's ass including yours, makes sure the team have the best IV, their starter have advantage against yours,  etc etc. 

Trevor represent the side stuffs, like the casino in Gen 1, Contest in gen 3 and 4, Musical in BW, Film in BW2, Amie in XY, Refresh and Mantine Surfing in SM. 

Tierno represent catch them all type. Which in IRL players could breach to regional differences if they are that determined. 

Shauna represent the  main story. She's all about making memories and grew up together with her Pokemon, keeping the same team  almost no matter what. 

And even then, all 5 get along well meaning there is no wrong or right way to play. 

That's generally speaking although there are people who are mixes of the types.

How all of this related to arguments about alts, you ask?

When applied to FEH, competitive players are the ones who benefit the most from alts. they have unique skills and movement/weapon as well nice stats, because of their usablity. Collector type may find the other side of the character's from other lines the alts says. And people who are into waifu/husbando stuff enjoy what alts of their husbando says when tapped. 

My personal preference is that future Legendary Heroes continue to be either Heroes OCs like Fjorm and Gunnthra, or already-existing/future Lords/main characters within the main series of Fire Emblem titles like Ike and Ephraim.