• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Just now, DragonFlames said:

I have no money to spend, no ingredients to cook with for the upcoming cooking contest, no gifts to give, no tools to break rocks and such to get rid of them/get materials...
I have a bunch of twigs, rocks, and herbs though! Maybe I should just sell all of that. But since I know this game has crafting (which I can't do yet - or I can, and I just missed it for some reason), I assume all of that stuff is better off in my storage box for those purposes.

And I think that time passing stuff is throwing me off. I think Atelier games, particularly the Arland ones, have conditioned me that an in-game clock means panic mode.

The game does start off a bit slow. But what I do usually is sell all the items I have to buy turnip seeds. You can buy a bunch of them for pretty cheap. Plant as many as possible. Harvest and sell them. Repeat until you get a sizable amount of money. The money you put in to planting them will always be much less than what you get for selling them. If you have turnips already, then sell them all. RF4 opens up quite a bit more once you start having more funds to use.

Don't worry about having nothing for the cooking contest. The most I ever have is a regular turnip. You can basically ignore it and there's no penalty. It's a contest that happens annually.

Complete requests. You'll see farming tools at Bado's store. Don't buy them. You'll get them for free as you complete the requests that Eliza gives you. Once you get tools like an axe and hammer, you can get all the material stone and lumber (essential items for getting cooking tools, a forge, crafting table, furniture, farm expansion, room expansion, etc.) that you need. You'll also get a fishing pole for free once you complete a certain request. Fish sell for good prices, so sell those until you have the tools to make dishes that sell for even more.

Have you been to Yokmir Forest yet? If not, that's a great place to go farm materials, level up your character and weapon skills, get other items, etc. for you to sell, even before defeating the boss and progressing the story. Sell everything you get from that. You don't have either a crafting table or forge yet (and won't for a little while), so you don't need those material yet anyway.

The day-night cycle means nothing basically. You can speed up time by sleeping or ignore sleeping altogether and nothing bad will happen. If you choose to not sleep, the only negative (that I know of) is that your sleep skill won't rise anymore. I don't think that has much of an effect on the gameplay, so I wouldn't worry about it.

At first, you'll only be able to complete one or two requests a day. That does in fact get higher as you increase your prince rank, so you won't be locked into that limit forever.

I think that's everything that will help you for now. Like I said, it starts a bit slow, but once you get some momentum from crop sales, you'll start being able to craft, forge, cook, etc. with relative ease. Pink turnips in particular are amazing because an entire field of them harvested can net you almost 30000 gold in one shipment.

14 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

And I think that time passing stuff is throwing me off. I think Atelier games, particularly the Arland ones, have conditioned me that an in-game clock means panic mode. Three in-game days in and I'm already panicking. I think that's a new record. XD

No reason to panic, no Rune Factory has ever had a real deadline (barring marriage to 4 of the wives in RF2), it's merely to represent the passing of time. This isn't like some of the older Story of Seasons, where the game either ended at a certain time- the SNES original, Save the Homeland, or A Wonderful Life (which ends when you die of old age), nor 64 where you got judged based on your farm's prosperity after 2 & 1/2 years but could continue playing afterwards. The absence of time constraints means you can relax, though it might've been a detriment to any notion of story in the past RF games, not that it had to be.

9 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

The game does start off a bit slow. But what I do usually is sell all the items I have to buy turnip seeds. You can buy a bunch of them for pretty cheap. Plant as many as possible. Harvest and sell them. Repeat until you get a sizable amount of money. The money you put in to planting them will always be much less than what you get for selling them. If you have turnips already, then sell them all. RF4 opens up quite a bit more once you start having more funds to use.

Don't worry about having nothing for the cooking contest. The most I ever have is a regular turnip. You can basically ignore it and there's no penalty. It's a contest that happens annually.

Complete requests. You'll see farming tools at Bado's store. Don't buy them. You'll get them for free as you complete the requests that Eliza gives you. Once you get tools like an axe and hammer, you can get all the material stone and lumber (essential items for getting cooking tools, a forge, crafting table, furniture, farm expansion, room expansion, etc.) that you need. You'll also get a fishing pole for free once you complete a certain request. Fish sell for good prices, so sell those until you have the tools to make dishes that sell for even more.

Have you been to Yokmir Forest yet? If not, that's a great place to go farm materials, level up your character and weapon skills, get other items, etc. for you to sell, even before defeating the boss and progressing the story. Sell everything you get from that. You don't have either a crafting table or forge yet (and won't for a little while), so you don't need those material yet anyway.

The day-night cycle means nothing basically. You can speed up time by sleeping or ignore sleeping altogether and nothing bad will happen. If you choose to not sleep, the only negative (that I know of) is that your sleep skill won't rise anymore. I don't think that has much of an effect on the gameplay, so I wouldn't worry about it.

At first, you'll only be able to complete one or two requests a day. That does in fact get higher as you increase your prince rank, so you won't be locked into that limit forever.

I think that's everything that will help you for now. Like I said, it starts a bit slow, but once you get some momentum from crop sales, you'll start being able to craft, forge, cook, etc. with relative ease. Pink turnips in particular are amazing because an entire field of them harvested can net you almost 30000 gold in one shipment.

Okay, so I can just sell everything that I find except maybe the equipment (i.e. some shoes) I got from a few monsters I fought. And I don't need to worry about missing out on something this early on.
That helps a LOT. Thank you! ^^

One more question: Can I ask more than one person to join me for exploration or will the first person I ask leave the party if I ask another one?
For example, if I have Forte with me and ask Xiao Pai, will Forte leave or will I have both of them with me?

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

No reason to panic, no Rune Factory has ever had a real deadline (barring marriage to 4 of the wives in RF2), it's merely to represent the passing of time. This isn't like some of the older Story of Seasons, where the game either ended at a certain time- the SNES original, Save the Homeland, or A Wonderful Life (which ends when you die of old age), nor 64 where you got judged based on your farm's prosperity after 2 & 1/2 years but could continue playing afterwards. The absence of time constraints means you can relax, though it might've been a detriment to any notion of story in the past RF games, not that it had to be.

So it's more like modern Atelier than older Atelier in that regard.
Good to know! Thank you! ^^

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I am also lacking money in lulua atm. Can't even upgrade weapons/Armor

When in doubt, quests are nearly infinetly repeatable. Just choose the ones that are the easiest for you to do that yield the most money.
Since you're under no pressure to progress in Lulua, stopping to focus on quests and synthesis has no detriments.

And speaking of synthesis: there are traits you can put on items that increase the price when you sell it, so you can look for those when you make stuff and then sell it for good money.

Edited by DragonFlames

weirdly catchy tbh xD

7 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

When in doubt, quests are nearly infinetly repeatable. Just choose the ones that are the easiest for you to do that yield the most money.
Since you're under no pressure to progress in Lulua, stopping to focus on quests and synthesis has no detriments.

And speaking of synthesis: there are traits you can put on items that increase the price when you sell it, so you can look for those when you make stuff and then sell it for good money.

I know umu

i just don't like repeating quests too much

weirdly catchy tbh xD

Agreed! I love that theme.

Atelier Meruru has one of the best standard battle themes in the series, in my opinion. Along with Atelier Sophie (though this game is a special case, because the battle music changes depending on how strong you are compared to your enemies).

I know umu

i just don't like repeating quests too much

That's understandable.
I usually just do them when it's convenient. For example, if a quest asks me to bring materials or items I have in abundance or if it's something I can easily make right at that moment.

Edited by DragonFlames

629794782465753108.png?v=1

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I usually just do them when it's convenient. For example, if a quest asks me to bring materials or items I have in abundance or if it's something I can easily make right at that moment.

yeah those i do often

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

For example, if a quest asks me to bring materials or items I have in abundance or if it's something I can easily make right at that moment.

Sadly, quests like these are usually the least rewarding. :dry:

Just now, Shrimperor said:

What the heck?

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Sadly, quests like these are usually the least rewarding. :dry:

Depends. Sometimes you're in luck and they give you more money than a harder quest would.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

yeah those i do often

Another way to make money is an accessory that I honestly don't remember if you can make it already or not.
It increases either EXP or Money gain from battles depending on how you synthesize it. It should be called Fate Talisman.

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

Depends. Sometimes you're in luck and they give you more money than a harder quest would.

So true! That's just from what I noticed with questing, is anything really hard usually has the best rewards. (Except FFXII, that game has it backwards as hell.)

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

What the heck?

Spoiler

Falcom DLC costumes becoming more of a meme every game

297945837470744576.png?v=1

Another way to make money is an accessory that I honestly don't remember if you can make it already or not.
It increases either EXP or Money gain from battles depending on how you synthesize it. It should be called Fate Talisman.

I don't think i can create those yet

Just now, DragonFlames said:

Okay, so I can just sell everything that I find except maybe the equipment (i.e. some shoes) I got from a few monsters I fought. And I don't need to worry about missing out on something this early on.
That helps a LOT. Thank you! ^^

Np. If you're more focused on the farming, crafting, forging, etc., life sim aspects right now, you don't really need that equipment yet anyway. You'll eventually be able to craft any armor and weapons you need (better farming tools as well) from the item drops you get. Or get more equipment from item drops as well.

Nope. The game goes on endlessly, so any festivals you skip should (someone correct me if I'm wrong) happen next year as well. Also, some festivals won't happen at all until the next in-game year(s) happen(s).

One more question: Can I ask more than one person to join me for exploration or will the first person I ask leave the party if I ask another one?
For example, if I have Forte with me and ask Xiao Pai, will Forte leave or will I have both of them with me?

IIRC, you can have two at a time, and they leave at the end of the "day" automatically as you're starting out with the game. As you raise their friendship points however, they will stay longer, even overnight if you get it high enough, I think. People who know better than me, please correct me where I'm wrong.

I haven't actually tried it much tbh. A lot of my time in the game has been spent doing stuff like farming, chatting, forging, cooking, crafting, etc. This time around I'm actually progressing the story into Act 2 and further on, so I will probably make use of the party system more as the difficulty increases. The most I've ever done is bring a single member with me, usually Forte since she's good in combat.

--------

This is actually a good place to look for specific tips if you're curious about something specific. It's way more detailed and has accurate info about the game. And can give you a better idea of what you can and can't do than I'm able to tbh. https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/635388-rune-factory-4/68399954

Page 2 in particular has great money making ideas beyond what I've already told you. The link is about the 3DS version in particular, but almost all of it still applies to Special.

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

wat?

Yesterday's forcecast: 33 °C and sunny

Currently: 26 °C and light rain

I left work and went to the lake for nothing... absolutely nothing.

Well, back home I'm doing a bit more shopping for my (videogame merchandise) atelier.

I know it's a bad hobby, but some people like to collect glasses as decorations whilst I collect figurines and dolls.

Still better than to waste money on gachas.

4 hours ago, Wraith said:

I know where Armagon's next holiday is going to be. 

That and also the new Godzilla Museum that's opening up. Where you can zipline into Godzilla's mouth.

3 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

On that note, I accidentally gave Forte the bread she gives you. I didn't mean to do that, I accidentally left town, she appeared, gave me some bread and left again, so I went back into town with the bread still in my hand and talked to her, which ended up giving her the thing.

Yeah, gifting and talking have the same button so be sure you aren't holding anything (note: this is different from equipping something) before talking to someone. Also, if you throw something and someone is in the way and it hits them, it'll count as a gift. So don't accidentally throw trash at them haha.

45 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

, no tools to break rocks and such to get rid of them/get materials...

Wait, how do you not have your hammer yet? Pretty sure they give you that early on. Maybe try talking to the mailbox next to your house? Sometimes important items are given to you after completing requests.

45 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

. But since I know this game has crafting (which I can't do yet - or I can, and I just missed it for some reason), I assume all of that stuff is better off in my storage box for those purposes.

What you can craft depends on the workshop. A crafting table let's you craft accessories and equipment, a forge lets you craft weapons, a chemist set lets you craft medicine and then there are various kitchens that allow you to make different types of foods. You'll be able to expand your room several times so don't worry about running out of room.

To be able to obtain these, go to the Orders board and take the respective tests. There's no penalty for failing. After you complete them, you can buy what you need from the clinic, accesories shop and restaurant, provided you have enough money and materials.

21 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Up to two can join you. Keep in mind that any party members will leave after 19:00. The exception is monster partners, they'll stay with you regardless (and monsters are honestly more viable to have in your party)

9 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Now this is epic.

Speaking of Hajimare news, I read that the mode where everyone is here will have a gacha-like mechanic.

>Me, a Xenoblade 2 player

d37_1.jpg

2 minutes ago, Julian Teehee said:

I know it's a bad hobby, but some people like to collect glasses as decorations whilst I collect figurines and dolls.

I wouldn't say it's bad at all! In fact, i'd say the opposite, that's it's really neat! Investing in something you love is never dumb.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Speaking of Hajimare news, I read that the mode where everyone is here will have a gacha-like mechanic.

Yeah we were just talking about in on the Falcord lol

on one hand, i am not exactly fond of the idea

on the other had, if they cut out needless filler and nostalgia bait with it, then all for the better

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

So true! That's just from what I noticed with questing, is anything really hard usually has the best rewards. (Except FFXII, that game has it backwards as hell.)

Yeah, FFXII's sidequests were... a little odd, it's true. XD
Atelier quests are usually randomized, so you might get two quests that ask for the same item, but one gives you 500 cole (the currency in that series) as a reward, the other drops a thousand on you.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I don't think i can create those yet

Then the best tip I can give you to get money is synthesize some stuff and look for the traits that increase the sale price.
Sadly, I don't remember in which chapter the Fate Talisman unlocks, and if it's a plot-relevant unlock or not.

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Np. If you're more focused on the farming, crafting, forging, etc., life sim aspects right now, you don't really need that equipment yet anyway. You'll eventually be able to craft any armor and weapons you need (better farming tools as well) from the item drops you get. Or get more equipment from item drops as well.

Very nice!

5 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Nope. The game goes on endlessly, so any festivals you skip should (someone correct me if I'm wrong) happen next year as well. Also, some festivals won't happen at all until the next in-game year(s) happen(s).

Also very nice!

Yeah, gifting and talking have the same button so be sure you aren't holding anything (note: this is different from equipping something) before talking to someone. Also, if you throw something and someone is in the way and it hits them, it'll count as a gift. So don't accidentally throw trash at them haha.

Oh wow. XD
Yeah, I'll be careful of that!

Wait, how do you not have your hammer yet? Pretty sure they give you that early on. Maybe try talking to the mailbox next to your house? Sometimes important items are given to you after completing requests.

I'm only on day 4 or something (I got my storage box) (and yes, I panicked on day freaking 4, I'm sorry XD), so I'm assuming I'll get something like that later on.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

What you can craft depends on the workshop. A crafting table let's you craft accessories and equipment, a forge lets you craft weapons, a chemist set lets you craft medicine and then there are various kitchens that allow you to make different types of foods. You'll be able to expand your room several times so don't worry about running out of room.

To be able to obtain these, go to the Orders board and take the respective tests. There's no penalty for failing. After you complete them, you can buy what you need from the clinic, accesories shop and restaurant, provided you have enough money and materials.

Ah, that's neat!

I took the beginner's cook test and noticed that I could do it over and over again when I failed (initially, I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be doing, so I accidentally answered the questions wrong). That's something I like, because it means you're not wasting any Prince Points.

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Up to two can join you. Keep in mind that any party members will leave after 19:00. The exception is monster partners, they'll stay with you regardless (and monsters are honestly more viable to have in your party)

Okay, got it!
I assume monster recruiting will come later, as well?

Thanks for the help, you two! 😊

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Urgh.

Fire Emblem PoR: over 200$, wow. Even the manual is over 100$! Maybe it's time to sell a copy? Same with Pokémon Emerald, which is also over 120$ now.

Edited by lightcosmo

7 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

on one hand, i am not exactly fond of the idea

on the other had, if they cut out needless filler and nostalgia bait with it, then all for the better

I have to see how it's handled but I will say it does make sense, given the sheer amount of characters in the Corridor.

But it's also exclusively just for the Corridor a.k.a the fanservice mode so even if it isn't handled well, it's not like I can get too mad at it.

Okay, got it!
I assume monster recruiting will come later, as well?

Once you build your first barn, you can begin recruiting monsters. For the most part, it's dependent on your level but giving them homemade food will also increase the chances (other way around actually, your level increases the chances of the food working). You can also recruit boss monsters but you need a specific crop for that and each boss has a different crop they like. 

Edited by Armagon

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Once you build your first barn, you can begin recruiting monsters. For the most part, it's dependent on your level but giving them homemade food will also increase the chances (other way around actually, your level increases the chances of the food working). You can also recruit boss monsters but you need a specific crop for that and each boss has a different crop they like. 

I see, I see.
Thanks!

20 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I wouldn't say it's bad at all! In fact, i'd say the opposite, that's it's really neat! Investing in something you love is never dumb.

It's true, but it's a very costly hobby considering figures can cost up to multiple hundres of €/ $ depending what you want in which quality.

200 € for one figure is like buying a decent PS4.

Speaking of figures nendo Haru just came home!

2v5kQfs.jpg

Fire Emblem PoR: over 200$, wow. Even the manual is over 100$! Maybe it's time to sell a copy? Same with Pokémon Emerald, which is also over 120$ now.

Damn, I would have got the tripled price right now than when I sold the game three years ago.

Still I made more than 100% profit from this game.

Edited by Julian Teehee

42 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I'm only on day 4 or something (I got my storage box) (and yes, I panicked on day freaking 4, I'm sorry XD), so I'm assuming I'll get something like that later on.

That’s understandable. Ngl, with everything you can do in RF, it can be a bit overwhelming to start off. But completing the requests in the request box is definitely a good place to start to get the tools you’re looking for. You should have them in about a week of in-game time (which you can speed up if you want to) if you make sure to complete a request every day.

44 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Wow. I can’t imagine selling a game that rare (or one that I enjoy enough), but it’s nice for the people selling it if they need some quick cash.

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

That’s understandable. Ngl, with everything you can do in RF, it can be a bit overwhelming to start off. But completing the requests in the request box is definitely a good place to start to get the tools you’re looking for. You should have them in about a week of in-game time (which you can speed up if you want to) if you make sure to complete a request every day.

Alright! Thank you for the tips!