Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

14 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Also, if memory serves, there are a few speed booster sequence breaks in Fusion. But as I dont run it nearly as often, I dont really know the guts of the game like I do ZM.

Idk if Fusion truly has sequence breaks considering it's the only 2D Metroid with a story told in-game.

• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Here's a hot take: Estelle should've been Trails' Adol and Trails games are about her Travels across Zemuria, just like how Ys games are Adol's travelouges across the world.

No harems, no bonding, no school, no bullshit, and her bracer job would allow her to travel around, and you can still have a great cast ala Ys 7 and 8.

Tl;Dr: instead of Ys getting Trailsfied, Trails should've gotten Ys'fied instead

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Is that Estelle in Cold Steel graphics? 🤔

Yeah

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Idk if Fusion truly has sequence breaks considering it's the only 2D Metroid with a story told in-game.

If only I could remember!

My dislike for the mechanics of Fusion tend to push me away from playing it as often.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

YMMV

What?

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

it's definitely the slower kind of storytelling approach where it spends time on the characters first and then reveals the big plot. Personally, this is how i prefer stories to be told.

Eh, it depends, I suppose. There's definitely some slower stories that I quite love. It's probably the super lighthearted tone that rubs me the wrong way. Although there are also some lighthearted stories I enjoy... Ah, who the fuck knows. It's too early to tell, anyway. I'm having fun with the story, at any rate. It has plenty of funny moments, at least.

I'm just hoping the MS Solar crew will show up again. Carla and the Cap'n were both awesome. Heck, more awesome than anyone in the actual CrossWorlds!

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Just head north up the mountain until you reach Bergen Village. That's where the first main dungeon and it's where the fun truly begins.

Oh no, I know I'll probably progress if I follow the path. I'm just abit  onfused about my overarching goal. Like, beyond just "recover memories by playing a MMORPG" and this quest of the ancients thing, I didn't quite get where the game (the game in the game, not the game itself) is supposed to be headed. Maybe I just didn't listen enough.

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Here's a hot take: Estelle should've been Trails' Adol and Trails games are about her Travels across Zemuria, just like how Ys games are Adol's travelouges across the world.

And they both have that one game where they aren't the protag......except Estelle actually shows up in Sky 3rd.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

My dislike for the mechanics of Fusion tend to push me away from playing it as often.

It's...... it's the same mechanics.

Spoiler

That scene on the airship with Olivier basically confirms that it was his guess Mueller mentioned earlier. And they want someone to intervene… Cassius, probably.

Also Ys 9 is so Trailsfied i feel like it shouldn't be anyone's first Ys game honestly, especially if the story is going the direction i think it's going...

You need the whole series to understand and appreciate what's happening...

Edited by Shrimperor

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It's...... it's the same mechanics.

Thats actually not true. 

Wall jumping: in ZM, Samus can WJ off the initial wall, infinitely. Fusion you can't cause the horizontal boost when doing a WJ.

Bomb Jumps: ZM you can go on any angle and any height, Fusion its impossible to do so.

The Flare when shooting a charged shot in Fusion doesnt exist in ZM. 

Theres more of course.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What?

Your mileage may vary.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'm just hoping the MS Solar crew will show up again. Carla and the Cap'n were both awesome.

They do, don't worry. 

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh no, I know I'll probably progress if I follow the path. I'm just abit  onfused about my overarching goal. Like, beyond just "recover memories by playing a MMORPG" and this quest of the ancients thing, I didn't quite get where the game (the game in the game, not the game itself) is supposed to be headed. Maybe I just didn't listen enough.

So the tl;dr of what was given in the beginning of the game is that this ancient supercivilization left behind this sort of system. One day humanity came along and turned that system into CrossWorlds and the more people play, the more of the system is unlocked.

It's a pretty unique take on the whole "anime MMO" trope since the "game world" is on a real physical place and the development of the game is tied to just how much of the system they're able to unlock. 

5 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Thats actually not true. 

Wall jumping: in ZM, Samus can WJ off the initial wall, infinitely. Fusion you can't cause the horizontal boost when doing a WJ.

Bomb Jumps: ZM you can go on any angle and any height, Fusion its impossible to do so.

The Flare when shooting a charged shot in Fusion doesnt exist in ZM. 

Theres more of course.

I see. I played the two games back to back and they felt pretty identical to me.

Okay, now chapter 4 has actually officially started! That was a long chapter intro.

Schera is still forced, but an actual reason was given this time, so eh. I brought Olivier and Kloe along, as usual.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Your mileage may vary.

They make acronyms for the most random things, I swear...

They do, don't worry. 

Excellent.

So the tl;dr of what was given in the beginning of the game is that this ancient supercivilization left behind this sort of system. One day humanity came along and turned that system into CrossWorlds and the more people play, the more of the system is unlocked.

It's a pretty unique take on the whole "anime MMO" trope since the "game world" is on a real physical place and the development of the game is tied to just how much of the system they're able to unlock. 

It is original, at least. Still not entirely sold on it, but I like all the self-aware jokes they've made with it.

Completely unrelated, but can I just say Sergey rocks that turtleneck? Cause he really does. He kinda looks like an older version of one of the main characters of my childhood show, a fact which I appreciate.

Still don't trust him, though. I know absolutely nothing about him, his motivations or his goals. And he's awful at his job. When will I get to cuss at that shitstain Apollo?

Edited by Saint Rubenio

57 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Zero Mission has an endgame picture for a 15% or less completion run in hard mode, which requires Sequence breaks if im not remembering wrong.

Hence the "outside of Zero Mission" remark. ZM was made with hardcore Metroid fanatics in mind, so it seems to me, but not exactly any other game. Super Metroid was made before sequence breaking was a known thing and likely by mistake invented it, Fusion winks at 'breaking with the secret message, but tries to rein it in. And everything else seems outright opposed to it.

30 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I don't.

Or was that introduced in the Wii version

It's automatically obtained upon getting the Morph Ball Bombs back. It wasn't in the GC version. Should mean double bomb jumps are now not required, since you can spring up plant the bomb in midair, and jump again, no need to plant one bomb on the ground and fractions of a second later plant a second bomb with perfect timing.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I see. I played the two games back to back and they felt pretty identical to me.

Same for me. But again, I'm a casual Metroid fan, the minutiae like wall jumps don't matter.

@Shrimperor Mappa's extremely faithful

https://i.redd.it/rt4jafcuv6a71.jpg

This looks like a comedy movie poster, fuck me, I can't take it anymore

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's two people that have changed their profile picture to Rook. Maybe I should join in and change to my favorite Banner Saga character, Onef.

Why?

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Anyway, good luck and don't make too many bad choices.

I know that you just want me to fuck so you can laugh at me

Edited by Maof06

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

He's the One?

Banner Saga spoilers:

Spoiler

He's a backstabbing piece of shit.

Edited by Maof06

37 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Still not entirely sold on it, but I like all the self-aware jokes they've made with it.

Fair and honestly, i'm not too much of a fan of the "anime MMO" genre as well, mainly when there's stakes involved. Because it's way too easy to just go "if you die in the game, you die in real life" shtick. Even Digimon is going that route in their upcoming game from what i hear.

CrossCode does actually have legitimate stakes but i won't say anything. I'll let you find that out on your own.

40 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

When will I get to cuss at that shitstain Apollo?

Just headcanon that Lea already is but because she can't speak save for a few preselect words, nobody ever finds out.

What Lea wants to say: "oh great, here comes the green shitter. Time to pound his ass into the pavement."

What Lea can actually say: "Lea!"

This is how she gets past the censors.

42 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And everything else seems outright opposed to it.

Yep. Now granted, this is a remake but the linearity of Samus Returns prevents it from being sequence break'd.

Actually, even if it wasn't linear, you wouldn't be able to, thanks to the vital Aeion abilities. Would not be surprised if Dread is also anti-sequence break.

43 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

t's automatically obtained upon getting the Morph Ball Bombs back. It wasn't in the GC version. Should mean double bomb jumps are now not required, since you can spring up plant the bomb in midair, and jump again, no need to plant one bomb on the ground and fractions of a second later plant a second bomb with perfect timing.

I see.

9 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

Why?

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

He's the One?

He has a funny mustache and used a generic portrait. I’m pretty sure that’s why.

Oh yeah @Maof06 good luck with Banner Saga 2, make sure to grab the one and only death I got in that one so I can feel better about myself.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

When you play em enough times, you need to know these things! Xd

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Same for me. But again, I'm a casual Metroid fan, the minutiae like wall jumps don't matter.

Neither of you utelise wall jumping to its max potential? 

I mean i wall jump but it becomes moot once you get the Space Jump so eh.

Were it as easy as 3D Mario's technique of the same name, maybe I would. But Samus's rendition requires inputs that I'm not so good with. I think. I know wall jumps in some games not Metroid in the past been the source of frustrations -but annoyingly I can't remember what games they were. I do recall Young Link's Break the Targets was difficult for me.

E55eb6uXEAMH2dm?format=png&name=small

E55eb7eX0AEEOex?format=png&name=small

E55eb9DWYAMjLJK?format=png&name=small

22 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But Samus's rendition requires inputs that I'm not so good with.

I think they're at their easiest in Samus Returns at least.