Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Against my better judgment, considering my track record, I've spent the afternoon playing Mario Party 6 with my friend.

I spent most of the game leading in stars and coins both, while my friend got pounded repeatedly and ended up with 1 star.

Then I landed on chance time and we swapped stars.

Then I landed on chance time again in the final turn and he swapped stars with an AI.

The result is that I went from consistently first for 20 turns to last and we were both defeated by two normal difficulty AIs.

Thanks, Kaga.

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

54 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ys fans when the boss they killed several games ago shows up again

Rick-Dalton-Pointing-Is-a-New-Meme-Becau

basically 

ioGivP0.png

10 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Let the Square bashing begin! Xd

I said this multipe times before, but i never could get into any of their games

Edited by Shrimperor

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

We would've gotten that in Xenogears Episode III but Square Enix said lmao.

Life is pain.

You say this, but you said also once before we'll likely never Episode III even now, because it'd be too depressing.

Ys VIII does show it can be worked around, if paired with a later-day story which ends happily. And someone already indirectly pointed out, Torna ends bittersweet/sad, but it was fine because then it changes the title screen to reflect the future hope of XC2 proper.

4 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Doesn't Torna count as an ancient society you get to experience while it's alive?

It does, but Torna is Xenogears Episode IV, not III to be nitpicky. For it to be III, it'd have to be... actually, I don't think XC2 has a true Episode III. It jumps from Episode II (or I? IDK) to Episodes IV and V.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

Damn. But you know what, I can relate. The same thing happened to me in Hades, except it's even worse there because it's a roguelike. Eventually I just grinded up God Mode but that burned me out of the game.

I mean I would give the fight another try or three before throwing in the towel for good, but death respawns me five minutes away. And I'd have to jump back up through the room of infinitely spawning Metroids. This is waaaaaaay easier than it sounds, only one or two of the leeches is likely to bother you at any time if you keep moving, they don't deal that much damage, and can be easily shaken off or instantly destroyed.

But, I'm never going to not feel uneasy about having Metroids in the same room as me in Prime. The prospect of one sneaking up on me and latching on is unnerving no matter how strong Samus is. I don't have this problem with 2D Metroid at all, the difference in perspective is everything.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer
I'm not actually sure if the furthest past of XC2 is any one particular Xenogears episode, or a hodgepodge of several of them.

8 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I said this multipe times before, but i never could get into any of their games

Nah, its fair, Their games dont really cater to all audiences.

4 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Nah, its fair, Their games dont really cater to all audiences.

true

But someone who is into JRPGs as much as i am should theoretically love their games

56 minutes ago, Benice said:

Any books you've read lately that you enjoyed?

Lots, I just finished Steinbeck’s The Winter of Our Discontent, which ironically is tonally similar to how I’m feeling right now. I think I’m going insane!

Edited by WraithReborn

19 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

But someone who is into JRPGs as much as i am should theoretically love their games

Well, for the Enix side of things, Dragon Quest is the grandfather of turn-based JRPGs, and while it make some modernizing changes, it remains quite traditional. This can be a turnoff, as it invented the genre, and that defines the franchise, but since what it invented is now so very commonplace, it might have a lack of distinctive, interesting identity to some.

As for the Square, Final Fantasy is almost as vintage JRPG as DQ, although the modern entries if anything experiment too much. KH and TWEWY are acquired tastes, Mana took a plunge from which it has never recovered after either Trials or Legends of Mana, SaGa is very very niche, and stuff like Bravely and Octopath might try too hard to be a neoclassical revival of the 16-bit era.

And for both companies, many of their greatest hits are now very old games. Age can readily drag them down. I say this after having watched snippets of an LP of the Super Famicom version of the legendary Trials of Mana (aka "Seiken Dentetsu 3"), it looks unplayable compared to the modern remake. Action RPG or turn-based, choose one!

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

27 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

true

That doesnt mean you will appreciate the gameplay or characters. 

What if you want more Gameplay

But Ys 9 said

''MOAR TRAILS!''

3NcKQ6K.png

My biggest complaint about the game so far

Classic Ys amounts of gameplay content

Trails levels of story

why

i just want to bash bosses in the head

The gameplay:Story ratio is way to low

Edited by Shrimperor

Oh my god. SC almost made me cry.

Well, almost as in I faintly felt like it, I am a strange being that has never really taken to crying, especially not over anything fictitious. So SC has done a fantastic job. Chapter 4 was a little slow in the beginning and surprisingly short, but those scenes near the end were top notch.

4gKyFam.jpg

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

That will take decades to complete, lul.

Props, though.

17 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

i just want to bash bosses in the head

The gameplay:Story ratio is way to low

And this is why, for all the whining over the littlest things that fans can do, sometimes one does have to look at something other than critic reviews, which is what I tend to stick with nowadays. Almost no "professional" review is going to comment on stuff like this, they have to keep the reviews digestible for a mass audience and can't afford to get lost in the minutiae and detailed comparisons.

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Oh my god. SC almost made me cry.

knew it ❤️

chapter 4 is great, and soon you're approaching the real stuff

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And this is why, for all the whining over the littlest things that fans can do, sometimes one does have to look at something other than critic reviews, which is what I tend to stick with nowadays. Almost no "professional" review is going to comment on stuff like this, they have to keep the reviews digestible for a mass audience and can't afford to get lost in the minutiae and detailed comparisons.

yeah i get you

And when a critical reviewer goes against the flow he gets gang'd on by everyone

16 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Well, almost as in I faintly felt like it, I am a strange being that has never really taken to crying, especially not over anything fictitious

I felt like I was reading my own words there. Now I'm looking forward to you playing Omori even more.

17 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

knew it ❤️

chapter 4 is great, and soon you're approaching the real stuff

That wasn’t even the real stuff?

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I felt like I was reading my own words there. Now I'm looking forward to you playing Omori even more.

I can’t refuse a challenge

One thing I forgot to mention yesterday is that the bastard who made Lonely Mirror managed to sneak a Reunion at Dawn-like map past me. Two units alone on a map, reinforced by allies from previous maps after some turns pass.

...except the random person who made this hack is, embarrassingly enough, way better at it than IntSys, so the map isn't a horrible pile of softlocking shit, and is instead a rather fun, if slightly RNG-reliant, take on the concept. Oh, and you break out thieves from a prison to serve as fodder only for them to steal the boss's dracoshield. That was hilarious.

What I'm trying to say is, FE bad, fangames good.

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

nope

Not at all

Boy you are in for a wild ride

You are basically a Trails villain, every time something impressive happens you go “this? Pft, this is nothing!”

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

FE bad

FE_fan.txt

28 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Well, almost as in I faintly felt like it, I am a strange being that has never really taken to crying, especially not over anything fictitious.

I used to think that, too.

Then I played Tales of Xillia 2.
Then I experienced the Conquest Route of Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2 (thanks, Shrimpy and Armagon. xD)
And then, more recently (as in, last year), Blue Reflection happened.

All three of them still stand as the only games that I have played to have ever made me openly weep.

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

The only Square Enix games I absolutely love are Bravely Default, and Bravely Second.
I do like Final Fantasy X and XII, and I didn't dislike XIII (in fact, I found it quite fun), but by and large, when it comes to JRPGs (which is admittedly about the only genre I extensively play), they are not my first choice, either.
So you're definitely not entirely alone there.

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Wow Ruben, you really dont like FE.

Well, I am a FE fan. That's to be expected, isn't it?

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

FE_fan.txt

You aren't a real FE fan until you start giving the title of "best FE" to games that aren't even FE.

Incidentally, you must play B. Saga.

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

I used to think that, too.

Then I played Tales of Xillia 2.
Then I experienced the Conquest Route of Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2 (thanks, Shrimpy and Armagon. xD)
And then, more recently (as in, last year), Blue Reflection happened.

All three of them still stand as the only games that I have played to have ever made me openly weep.

Hey, I have a game for you, you probably haven't heard of it the last 17 times I brought it up--

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hey, I have a game for you, you probably haven't heard of it the last 17 times I brought it up--

Omori?
It does sound interesting from how you described it, so I might take a look at it, provided it's available on a platform I have!
It's just that my backlog is... a little extensive, so I might take a bit to get to it! xD

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You aren't a real FE fan until you start giving the title of "best FE" to games that aren't even FE.

Then I am one of the realest FE fans around. XD
Devil Survivor 2 and Stella Glow are, to me, better SRPGs than any FE I've played so far.

Edited by DragonFlames