Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Just now, DragonFlames said:

since you're not getting any EXP or skill EXP out of them (

I honestly don't remember that being the case. Could be, but i doubt it, since i have a memory of lvling up there

I could be wrong tho

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Namely, the raids and hunts. They feel a little bit unnecessary, to be honest, since you're not getting any EXP or skill EXP out of them (seemingly, this is the part I'm unsure about), and especially the raids always seem to happen at the most inopportune moments, too, interrupting the flow of things a little. Like, I'd be in the middle of exploring a dungeon, and then it's "hey, by the way, your village is about to get rekt. Pls halp!"
I don't wanna skip them, either, even if they may be optional, because I feel compelled to do them the second they show up. xD
I will say, however, that actually PLAYING them is fun, because the combat is fun. It just doesn't feel very rewarding to do them, is all.

Ateleast in Ys 8 they fit the setting and story content isn't locked behind them...

Unlike Ys 9 where they made it a core part of the game and you have to do them to advance <.<

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

6 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

How many levels did you get

Everyone got one except for Tita who got three, but the main highlight for me was 34 time sepith.

I honestly don't remember that being the case. Could be, but i doubt it, since i have a memory of lvling up there

I seem to recall leveling at least one skill in one of 'em, but so much stuff happens that I might be wrong, that's why I'm kinda confused. xD

Ateleast in Ys 8 they fit the setting

That's true! They at least have that purpose!

Unlike Ys 9 where they made it a core part of the game and you have to do them to advance <.<

Oh boy!
Though that might actually be better, since, like I said, the mechanic itself is a blast! Also, the music is great
Except when Paro is like "Dogi Squad doing bad!" or something similar. That always stresses me out. xD
It's just that it doesn't feel rewarding enough. And if your reward is progress, then that might be a little better than the (seemingly) almost nothing in Ys 8.
Because so far, the raids I liked the most were the ones that happened as part of the story!

Edited by DragonFlames

5 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Also, the music is great

not the case in Ys 9 sadly. Unless you are using Music mod which is PC only

6 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

It's just that it doesn't feel rewarding enough.

The s rank rewards are legit tho. Like real legit

Just now, Shrimperor said:

not the case in Ys 9 sadly. Unless you are using Music mod which is PC only

Dangit!

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

The s rank rewards are legit tho. Like real legit

I got all A-ranks so far.
Well, one of 'em was S! Which did get me an achievement, which is neat.
But I'm a straight-A guy, apparently. XD

Dangit!

Ys 8 is the last Falcom game with good sountrack, and even it has that bleh final boss track

after that we head into the Chicken and Bee Era of Falcom BGM

Edited by Shrimperor

*Goes into the final battle, finally facing the eponymous foe myself*

*Dies just before dealing the last shot to the first phase*

*Has to restart back at the save station a little distance away*

*Checks LPs to see if there is any free health after phase one, sees that there is, but it's minimal*

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I already know how to fight it, but "survive the first phase, die in the second" is looming in my mind as a possible outcome, despite phase two reading like the easier half. And after Samus Returns, I can't help but be paranoid I'll be shut out of finishing another Metroid by a late/final boss.

My prediction was accurate.

😔

Only one try I made, it's normal to fail first time on a boss, particularly the last. -I know. 

I think I knew too much and not enough for this fight. I had been misled into thinking one attack was particularly bad and took evasive maneuver for it when I thought the boss was preparing to use it. The problem is I was mistaking every long windup the boss made for that attack, when very very often it wasn't it, and the attack the boss actually used would fry me (I still failed to consistently dodge the expected attack anyhow!).  And it really does look like phase two is easier as well, if not that much shorter.

Can I get gud enough to win the whole fight then? Maybe. I actually would've triggered the phase transition had the boss not deflected some of my shots for no apparent good reason- does it have invincibility around its eyes? I don't understand why the hits didn't register.

But, my morale has plummeted, and I'm not sure if feel like giving it another go at all. Simply meeting the infamous creature in their game of origin, a game of my childhood I knew very well but very rarely played, filled me with awe and dread.

Well then, I'll say I'm done with Metroid Prime, as utterly defeatist as it is. I don't need perfect resolution, I've experienced 98% of it. The game isn't flawless (needs more music for one), and I still prefer 2D Metroid, but it was good, I can see why people have revered it as a GoAT.

I'm not sure if I'd rush to buy Metroid Prime 4 in 2035, but if Nintendo ports the Trilogy to Switch (I don't feel like buying it on my Wii U, though I could), I'll purchase it. I'll replay Prime 1 on on the new Normal difficulty, it'll be too easy the vast majority of the time, but it ought to assure I can see the ending. 

33 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I gotta remember that present Dana can't transform, while past Dana can. xD

There is a reason for this that's eventually stated.

I do love Dana's transforming. Were she to ever show up in a crossover or other game in some capacity, I'd be majorly disappointed if she couldn't.

This youtube comment is on point:

Adol approaching Bosses
- Music starts -

Bosses: "wait why do I hear Boss music......"

Edited by Shrimperor

8 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Ys 8 is the last Falcom game with good sountrack, and even it has that bleh final boss track

My only gripe with the music so far is actually that I wish Giasburn had a different boss theme. xD
Everything else has been pretty on point!

8 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

after that we head into the Chicken and Bee Era of Falcom BGM

Chickens and Bees, eh?
Is that what they're callin' it now? xD

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

There is a reason for this that's eventually stated.

I see!

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I do love Dana's transforming. Were she to ever show up in a crossover or other game in some capacity, I'd be majorly disappointed if she couldn't.

Yeah definitely!
It is the same reason I was a little sad Arnice's transformations were relegated to her special attack in Warriors All-Stars, and even then, it's only the starting one. Any of the others I showed off per screenshots on the previous page sadly do not make an appearance. Same with her weapon transformations. The Hammer appears in her Hero Skill, but the Crossbow and Daggers (as well as the second form of her sword) are all missing.

Doesn't stop her from having the single most creative and fun sword-based moveset in any Warriors game I've played, but still. It is a bit of a shame that they didn't emphasize that part of Nights of Azure's gameplay a little more.

not saying that Ys 9 and Black Hole 3-5 don't have any bangers, they do, but they have a much higher amount of garbage

It says a lot when Compile Heart did that one boss I really liked from CS3 more justice than CS3 itself.
Especially in the music department.

This youtube comment is on point:

lul

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Chickens and Bees, eh?

note: Mind bleach might be needed after listening to this shit

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Especially in the music department.

imagine going from one of the best jrpg composers ever to being a shitshow

Edited by Shrimperor

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

🐔🐔🐔🐔

Falcom composer be like:

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

imagine going from one of the best jrpg composers ever to being a shitshow

Falcom should've kept Yuzo Koshiro on board.
That man is a damn legend.

Also, the mind bleach you wanted. XD

Falcom should've kept Yuzo Koshiro on board

Falcom are being super cheap. We know the numbers they are paying now to have shit in their games...

So fucking low

Also, the mind bleach you wanted. XD

Thank you my dear student XD

Edited by Shrimperor

Just now, Shrimperor said:

Falcom are being super cheap. We know the numbers they are paying now to have shit in their games...

Ooof.

"Hey, unpaid intern! We need some music, so... uh, here, have some instruments!"
"'Kay!"

Thank you my dear student XD

I aim to please! xD

17 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

"Hey, unpaid intern! We need some music, so... uh, here, have some instruments!"

not an intern

they are outsourcing

and only pay like 100$ per track

Edited by Shrimperor

43 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I actually like it ngl, even though it sounds like chickens

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I hate you so much. Do what you want. Either way I know we won't agree on anything. We never do.

I hope Apollo kicks your ass again.

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

fucking love this Series

Ys fans when the boss they killed several games ago shows up again

Rick-Dalton-Pointing-Is-a-New-Meme-Becau

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

HuvCFMm.jpg

Falcom ripped itself off. xD

They ripped Xenogears off too but shhhhhhh /s

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

Ys 8 takes it a step further however and made you play in the ancient society itself and experience it while it was alive. That floored me so much when i was playing Ys 8. it was honestly amazing. I can't think of any other game that had that tbh.

We would've gotten that in Xenogears Episode III but Square Enix said lmao.

Life is pain.

59 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well then, I'll say I'm done with Metroid Prime, as utterly defeatist as it is. I don't need perfect resolution

Damn. But you know what, I can relate. The same thing happened to me in Hades, except it's even worse there because it's a roguelike. Eventually I just grinded up God Mode but that burned me out of the game.

4 minutes ago, WraithReborn said:

It’s strange having all this free time again, something I really haven’t had in over half a decade.

Any books you've read lately that you enjoyed?

35 minutes ago, Armagon said:

We would've gotten that in Xenogears Episode III but Square Enix said lmao.

Life is pain.

Technically speaking "Square Enix" didn't exist yet when Monolith Soft was founded, and Square actually said "we'd like to continue Xenogears but this Final Fantasy movie is more important." Doesn't Torna count as an ancient society you get to experience while it's alive?