• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Even someone who hates JRPGs should recognize that Trails in the Sky has more depth than literally Earthbound.

Just now, Shrimpresident said:

Aside from Emotions thing, Omori literally has the most basic jrpg type gameplay

Oh yeah, I'm not denying that, just... I guess Trails really does get good after 50 hours, because during the bit that I played it was also ultra basic JRPG, with a couple bells and whistles that, at least in the earlygame, did absolutely nothing.

Eh. You seemed to like the story at least a bit, Shrimpy. I am satisfied. I never did say the gameplay was anything other than standard fare JRPG.

1 hour ago, Shrimpresident said:

Most unbelievable part of the game: Sunny's parents not doing anything for 4 years

I am pretty sure even 90s murica had therapists 😛

Yeah that can be said about many games, but not many tske place irl

I think there's something hinting at that though.

Spoiler

When in the dark photo album recollection part, you can see Sunny's mother on a couch. If you speak to her, she says "I lost my only Daughter. I won't lose my only son as well". To me, this hints that she's extremely scared someone will realize he committed murder and would take him away from her, so sending him out to a therapist and him admitting what he has done and what's happened could lead to child services. His father is also never ever mentioned from what I recall, so he's probably left or dead. Hence why the mother lives in this shoddy environment as she doesn't have the money to support two kids and a house alone. But she probably overworks to be able to give a home that's safer and richer to her son so he can forget his old life, hoping that he'll recover from that change and that she'll be able to give him the life she wanted him to have, despite not seeing the obvious thing she actually needed, especially since she's never there to see it. Anyways, that's my theory on the matter of his parents.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You like Banner Saga gameplay. 

Banner saga gameplay good

Sky gameplay bad

2 minutes ago, Lorneus said:
Spoiler

To me, this hints that she's extremely scared someone will realize he committed murder and would take him away from her, so sending him out to a therapist and him admitting what he has done and what's happened could lead to child services.

Spoiler

If she realized he did, then so probably would've the police or any authority that exists there.

Unless they didn't do any forensics, which is even more unbelievable. But that's thinking too deep so i will just go with shitty parents excuse.

Although... is there no compulsory education in murica? Wouldn't the school have called the authorities on Sunny's ass anyway?

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

never did say the gameplay was anything other than standard fare JRPG

Not just the gameplay, but i will talk about that later. There's one thing it does better than your usual jrpgs..later

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Well, Banner Saga has interesting gameplay and is not a JRPG in the slightest. I don't see how it's a counterpoint XD

Or maybe you just wanted to take the occasion to spark a fight? XP

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Banner Saga gameplay unironically slower than FE4 and PoR gameplay combined.

Hmm... it's true the animations and the added defense system can have combats take more time, but I never felt it went against the game really. It might just be because I'm bad at strategy games and ended up always feeling in danger though XD

https://images2.imgbox.com/5f/aa/AunuXSFj_o.png

Great, now I'm beating people up with music.

Also, what's with the percussion bullying, Vandal Hearts 2? 0/10 worst game ever

1 minute ago, Awakened_06_ said:

Banner saga gameplay good

Sky gameplay bad

https://images2.imgbox.com/2a/b4/KyLGx5yT_o.png

Someone speaking my language in the den of Trails, at last.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Banner Saga gameplay unironically slower than FE4 and PoR gameplay combined.

Yes, Armagon, we know you disagree with me. It's your middle name, after all.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

https://images2.imgbox.com/5f/aa/AunuXSFj_o.png

Great, now I'm beating people up with music.

Also, what's with the percussion bullying, Vandal Hearts 2? 0/10 worst game ever

This is amazing. Also, I must give it to them that I've rarely seen maracas made out of steel. It must be exhausting if it's heavy steel that gives 36 atk to shake them like a madman for an entire song XD

2 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

Not just the gameplay, but i will talk about that later.

Damnit.

Well, I guess we still agree about FE.

1 minute ago, Lorneus said:

Well, Banner Saga has interesting gameplay and is not a JRPG in the slightest. I don't see how it's a counterpoint XD

Or maybe you just wanted to take the occasion to spark a fight? XP

Of course he did. It's always about fighting me with this guy.

Hmm... it's true the animations and the added defense system can have combats take more time, but I never felt it went against the game really. It might just be because I'm bad at strategy games and ended up always feeling in danger though XD

Ah, a fellow Banner Saga player, I see. You do seem to have better-than-average taste for this thread.

3 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:
  Reveal hidden contents

If she realized he did, then so probably would've the police or any authority that exists there.

Unless they didn't do any forensics, which is even more unbelievable. But that's thinking too deep so i will just go with shitty parents excuse.

Although... is there no compulsory education in murica? Wouldn't the school have called the authorities on Sunny's ass anyway?

Spoiler

Hmm, perhaps. When I thought about this point, I thought "if the mother, the son and like everyone around says it's a suicide and the police doesn't really care that much, then maybe it could've been skipped by" but I may have been too influenced by a webcomic I read recently which had a similar situation and seemed to hold police in bad regards.

For school... yeah, I guess so. I'm not certain if it's supposed to be set in America, but with the names, most likely. Though it could be simply an imaginary country with rules set from various places. I think Hikkikomoris actually are or were a thing in Japan, though I'm not certain what the rulings are about those, like if they need specific reasons to not be forced by authorities to go to school or anything.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah, a fellow Banner Saga player, I see. You do seem to have better-than-average taste for this thread.

Haha, I didn't play it that much yet honestly. Started it at the wrong time. Though, I've read about Ludin on this thread and agree on that point. He's a freaking monster XD But I really quite liked it and plan to continue it in the future 😃 And are you sure about that? Most of my favorite games are JRPGs XP

10 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

This is amazing.

That's Vandal Hearts 2 for ya. Amazing is the word.

10 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

Also, I must give it to them that I've rarely seen maracas made out of steel. It must be exhausting if it's heavy steel that gives 36 atk to shake them like a madman for an entire song XD

I can't wait to whack an enemy and see what sound they make. I really hope they make the proper sound of maracas, that'd be hilarious.

4 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

Cosmo best taste

Well... Uh...

Cosmo is a likeable person with opinions that exist.

4 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:

And Kyouma!

Not all of S;G, but HYUUUUUUHAHAHA

True enough. Kyouma is too precious for this world. And also too stupid, like hot damn, how is he still alive.

Haha, I didn't play it that much yet honestly. Started it at the wrong time.

Ahh, too bad. Well, do consider picking it back up when you have the opportunity. They're great games if you're not named Armagon.

And are you sure about that? Most of my favorite games are JRPGs XP

I mean, I think that applies to most people here.

I really don’t like the (Omori spoilers)

Spoiler

“Sunny’s parents” theory for Omori because it completely undermines the entire plot and struggle if it was someone other than Sunny and Basil who really pulled everything together. Like yes, they would still have guilt and stuff to cope with just from what happened even if not all of it was their fault now but they’re still literally 12 while these people are grown adults who did nothing good, so a ton of the blame would be shifted to them. Which is probably more realistic, yes, but it pretty much removes 90% of blame and agency from Sunny and Basil to the “bad parents” boogeyman, which undermines not only the themes of the game but the complexity of the story and conflict itself if you get to the end and realize it was Anankos all along. I will be very disappointed if that is confirmed one day.

Just my two cents.

32 minutes ago, Shrimpresident said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

It’s actually heavily implied that Faraway town has trash emergency services considering the ending where Sunny moved away with something following behind him. The sirens play, signaling Basil’s death… except we know from the main route that this happened the previous night, and nothing happens until the next morning.

There is compulsory education in America, but you can legally drop out once you’re 16, which Sunny presumably did. He was probably homeschooled until then.

17 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, I think that applies to most people here.

He says like he doesn’t have a standard gameplay RPG among his favorites.

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I really don’t like the (Omori spoilers)

Reveal hidden contents

“Sunny’s parents” theory for Omori because it completely undermines the entire plot and struggle if it was someone other than Sunny and Basil who really pulled everything together. Like yes, they would still have guilt and stuff to cope with just from what happened even if not all of it was their fault now but they’re still literally 12 while these people are grown adults who did nothing good, so a ton of the blame would be shifted to them. Which is probably more realistic, yes, but it pretty much removes 90% of blame and agency from Sunny and Basil to the “bad parents” boogeyman, which undermines not only the themes of the game but the complexity of the story and conflict itself if you get to the end and realize it was Anankos all along. I will be very disappointed if that is confirmed one day.

Just my two cents.

I hardly think it undermines it.

Spoiler

To me, Basil's "sorry" is mostly about not being able to accept Sunny for what he did, as if the person having pushed his sister was someone else all along, which is what, in part, causes this dichotomy in Sunny's mind with Omori. He wants to dissociate from his act, and his Best friend enables him to do so, which breaks him. To me, whether Basil had the idea to do the cover up suicide or not has no impact on the story. He still participated in the act and enabled Sunny so his apology is understandable from his point of view, and Sunny's struggle is as well. Like, the murder and cover up to me are very good plot elements that come to surprise you more or less depending on what you were able to infer before, and can understandably have damaged their relationship forever, but how they treated the situation is ultimately what's at the crux of the emotional drama here to me. And even then, they knew abotu hat they did and lied about it, so they still have the blame, even if enabled by a parent. 

8 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

Hide contents

To me, Basil's "sorry" is mostly about not being able to accept Sunny for what he did, as if the person having pushed his sister was someone else all along, which is what, in part, causes this dichotomy in Sunny's mind with Omori. He wants to dissociate from his act, and his Best friend enables him to do so, which breaks him. To me, whether Basil had the idea to do the cover up suicide or not has no impact on the story. He still participated in the act and enabled Sunny so his apology is understandable from his point of view, and Sunny's struggle is as well. Like, the murder and cover up to me are very good plot elements that come to surprise you more or less depending on what you were able to infer before, and can understandably have damaged their relationship forever, but how they treated the situation is ultimately what's at the crux of the emotional drama here to me. And even then, they knew abotu hat they did and lied about it, so they still have the blame, even if enabled by a parent. 

Spoiler

Oh yeah, I’m not saying Sunny and Basil have absolutely nothing to feel guilty about if the parents covered it up, I just feel like that makes the plot hit way less hard. 

I just remembered something relevant for this thread.

I once did a FE7 randomized playthrough.

In FE7, Ninian says Tee hee once.

My randomizer replaced Ninian by Bartre.

Bartre is now an official teehee-er.

14 minutes ago, Sooks said:

He says like he doesn’t have a standard gameplay RPG among his favorites.

Yeah. One.

4 minutes ago, Lorneus said:

Hide contents

This is a pretty good take. Just a couple of things...

Spoiler

I believe that deluding himself into thinking Sunny was blameless in the whole affair was entirely Basil's shtick. Sunny's Something more clearly represents that he's fully aware of what he did, but chooses to shut it out and pretend it never happened because the truth is too painful to fact. It's Basil that lied to himself and pretended there was this evil entity that tried to take his friend away from him. It's a subtle difference, but an important one, I believe.

And I think Basil coming up with the idea to cover it up does have some importance. Sunny was in shock and made no attempts to cover anything up until Basil more or less dragged him into it. He would probably have just sat next to his sister's body until their parents returned. However, consider this from Basil's perspective. He was completely alone in the world, aside from his ailing grandmother. The fact that he knew how to tie a noose and even came up with the idea to hang the body at the age of 12 is... interesting, to say the least. When Mari died, Basil's first reaction was probably "they're going to take my only friend away from me," and so he panicked and reacted like a child would - hide what happened so mom and dad don't get angry.

Further supporting this idea is the fact that, unless they work their issues out, Basil commits suicide when Sunny moves away. It's essentially the same idea. All those years, the only reason he kept going was that he thought at some point Sunny would come and save him. And then he hears that he's going to lose Sunny for good, and this time, he can't do anything to stop it. He can't bear the idea of being alone, so he ends it all before going through that.

Also, manslaughter* I know it's a bit of a nitpick, but we keep tossing the word "murder" around when Sunny had zero intention to kill his sister.

9 hours ago, FlyingKitsune said:

Started playing MGS3D and I got caught on the first few soldiers... on easy mode. Considering this is my first game, I hope I'll improve sooner rather than later.

Oof...

8 hours ago, Lorneus said:

You could always reincarnate members to pursue their cycle of suffering.

Hm...

Then again, I don't want to name any of y'all after a literal rat anyways, so...

7 hours ago, Dayni said:

Watch Steve Jobs become a mainstay

I named Steve Jobs that because then I can make a funni joke when he inevitably perishes.

7 hours ago, Dayni said:

Ah yes, my first catch from my first one too.

Nice.

6 hours ago, Julizan said:

appreciated 😆

Hey, nice to see ya!

6 hours ago, Julizan said:

Though you gave me the exact opposing element.

I am electric after all.

If Julizan 1 perishes in the Nuzlocke, I shall name another Electric Pokemon after you.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

How do people even format it to be like this?

https://lingojam.com/ZalgoText

https://eeemo.net/

Either of these work.

'Morning, all!

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

This is a pretty good take. Just a couple of things...

Reveal hidden contents

I believe that deluding himself into thinking Sunny was blameless in the whole affair was entirely Basil's shtick. Sunny's Something more clearly represents that he's fully aware of what he did, but chooses to shut it out and pretend it never happened because the truth is too painful to fact. It's Basil that lied to himself and pretended there was this evil entity that tried to take his friend away from him. It's a subtle difference, but an important one, I believe.

And I think Basil coming up with the idea to cover it up does have some importance. Sunny was in shock and made no attempts to cover anything up until Basil more or less dragged him into it. He would probably have just sat next to his sister's body until their parents returned. However, consider this from Basil's perspective. He was completely alone in the world, aside from his ailing grandmother. The fact that he knew how to tie a noose and even came up with the idea to hang the body at the age of 12 is... interesting, to say the least. When Mari died, Basil's first reaction was probably "they're going to take my only friend away from me," and so he panicked and reacted like a child would - hide what happened so mom and dad don't get angry.

Further supporting this idea is the fact that, unless they work their issues out, Basil commits suicide when Sunny moves away. It's essentially the same idea. All those years, the only reason he kept going was that he thought at some point Sunny would come and save him. And then he hears that he's going to lose Sunny for good, and this time, he can't do anything to stop it. He can't bear the idea of being alone, so he ends it all before going through that.

Also, manslaughter* I know it's a bit of a nitpick, but we keep tossing the word "murder" around when Sunny had zero intention to kill his sister.

Spoiler

Hmm. Yeah, I understand your point here. The distinction is pretty subtle indeed because even when you dissociate from an act, you are fully aware it happened, but you don't necessarily try to bury it from your memory either. 

And yeah, I like the further elements for Basil. I was always a bit more concentrated on the Sunny side of things (heh, as if anything was positive there) and don't think I went that far into thinking for his psyche, but they're definitely points I find quite logical and interesting with what was presented.