• Replies 177.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Alright folks, help me pick the next Fire Emblem game I'm going to play. What would be the next logical step to take in my Fire Emblem journey?

And Ruben, don't say Kaga

3 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

In all fairness I played most of 3H during lockdown.

Three Houses does seem like the perfect game for that event with how many things there are to do in it.

Edited by Edelguardiansing

2 minutes ago, Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων said:

Which ones did you play already?

Awakening, all the Fates games, Blazing Blade, Shadows of Valentia, and of course TH Verdant Wind.

Lot of options still.

2 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Awakening, all the Fates games, Blazing Blade, Shadows of Valentia, and of course TH Verdant Wind.

Hmm

Well, you could go for the Binding Blade/FE6 to complete the Elibe games. Even if i really really hate FE6

FE8 is a good short chill one, and one of the better ones story wise.

My persona rec tho would be either FE4 + FE5, or FE9+FE10

16 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Alright folks, help me pick the next Fire Emblem game I'm going to play. What would be the next logical step to take in my Fire Emblem journey?

Gotta go with Kaga

On a more serious note, Genealogy of the Holy War would be an interesting one to put somewhere in the middle of Three Houses, as a lot of people see it as a source of inspiration for Three Houses...

6 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Lot of options still.

Although Binding Blade is another obvious hole in your repertoire there, as you have already played its prequel, which on the English release really sets up the story of FE6 (note the base English ending was a difficult to unlock easter egg in the Japanese version). Although seeing as it is the hardest of the GBA games, I do see an argument for you playing the easiest of the GBA games before, AKA Sacred Stones, plus it is an interesting one to play close to Gaiden/Shadows of Valentia, as it is one of the few FE games that tries to iterates on some of the many interesting ideas Gaiden brought to the franchise...

2 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

Wait when did CT have an anime anything?

Since 1996. It's from a promotional OVA that was broadcasted in a V-Jump Festival. It was followed by a manga that would be published too at V-Jump until 1998.

There's also the anime cutscenes that were added to the game since the PSX port, if it matters.

36 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Gotta go with Kaga

On a more serious note, Genealogy of the Holy War would be an interesting one to put somewhere in the middle of Three Houses, as a lot of people see it as a source of inspiration for Three Houses...

Genealogy is still Kaga, though.

1 hour ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Three Houses does seem like the perfect game for that event with how many things there are to do in it.

Nah, switch out from FE. Try out Zone of Enders Fist of Mars instead.

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

the martial Artes you get while Armatized are so sluggish

Hmm... I dont remember that happening.

1 hour ago, Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων said:

Even if i really really hate FE6

Based Shrimpy.

You know what can suck. Stumble across the minefield that is the Pinochet Coup discussion... when it's done on the day itself and thus it butts heads with the other 9/11 tragedy involving the US. I began reading in spite of myself and it's like... ugh...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων said:

Hmm

Well, you could go for the Binding Blade/FE6 to complete the Elibe games. Even if i really really hate FE6

FE8 is a good short chill one, and one of the better ones story wise.

The Telius games are definitely ones I should play sooner than later seeing as they house the character that got me into Fire Emblem in the first place.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Gotta go with Kaga

Genealogy piqued my interest when I played it for a small bit for being a game that actually uses dates, just like Three Houses. And Thracia both terrifies and excites me as another game that continues the use of dates but also has a reputation for being super difficult.

Though perhaps after what was a fairly easy run of Three Houses, a super difficult game is in order.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Although Binding Blade is another obvious hole in your repertoire there, as you have already played its prequel, which on the English release really sets up the story of FE6 (note the base English ending was a difficult to unlock easter egg in the Japanese version). Although seeing as it is the hardest of the GBA games, I do see an argument for you playing the easiest of the GBA games before, AKA Sacred Stones, plus it is an interesting one to play close to Gaiden/Shadows of Valentia, as it is one of the few FE games that tries to iterates on some of the many interesting ideas Gaiden brought to the franchise...

Binding Blade was on my mind as well though part of me wants to do it much later because as it stands I never have actually beaten FE7, just gotten through a decent portion of it, and since I'd like to play these two games in quick succession, I'd rather wait until the memories of FE7 are not as fresh.

These are all very interesting suggestions and I can't wait to play all of these games, but it seems Sacred Stones is a consistent answer, which makes sense also considering Ruben's recent posts about it.

Also I just got this tweet out of nowhere on my feed, so clearly the universe agrees.

20220911210802-1.jpg

I don't know what she's complaining about.

However, I am totally perplexed by the long-haired wind seraph guy. I thought I glimpsed him in the opening sequence, and rechecking...

20220911222640-1.jpg

Right there after showcasing all the heroes except Alisha, who directly follows him. Implication- a hero. Looks pretty calm and chill here too.

And yet...

20220911223043-1.jpg

...not in the hero ensemble pic. Looks like for a brief half-second during the opening that short-green-haired guy is the playable wind seraph, sooooo... long-white not playable then?

And...

20220911223449-2.jpg

...after a montage of presumably important NPCs, he shows up again. The look in his eyes screams villain, the same as ingame. His first impression is awfully antagonistic as well. Although he has a "I'm a free spirit, I don't care what you do, just don't get in my way, because if you do, you're f***ing dead" personality judging from that debut. Which doesn't mean he has to be truly evil, he might stand a slim chance of a being a later game final recruit when he finally respects what the heroes are capable of.

I'm perplexed. I probably wouldn't be so were it not for one thing- he's shirtless. Honestly, I didn't think he looked like he's my type, and his merciless rogue could've-killed-the-hero behavior is unattractive. Despite the turnoffs, the bod kept my attention, thinking how happily odd it would be to have a Tales male playable who by default looked like this.

If he is a villain, well I think this might be the first case for me of my hormones committing treason against my brain and justice.

---

As for Miss Earth Seraph, she came along easier than I thought. Edna almost instantly jumped to best character in ToZ so far. This cynical, smart, serious, and manipulative earth-elemental little lady (the second I've encountered this year) soon had me smiling with laughter. Not sure why, her demeanor simply works for me.😄

2 hours ago, Αυτοκράτορας των Γαρίδων said:

I thought your persona wreck would be watching a submarine torpedo a cargo ship laden with all the physical copies of Ps 3-5 in the world into the Marianas Trench.

43 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

You know what can suck. Stumble across the minefield that is the Pinochet Coup discussion... when it's done on the day itself and thus it butts heads with the other 9/11 tragedy involving the US. I began reading in spite of myself and it's like... ugh...

What discussion is there to be had? The US was in the wrong, and the US didn't care it was wrong b/c Cold War and the old Roosevelt Corollary to the Monroe Doctrine. Allende didn't deserve to be overthrown, anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

What discussion is there to be had? The US was in the wrong, and the US didn't care it was wrong b/c Cold War and the old Roosevelt Corollary to the Monroe Doctrine. Allende didn't deserve to be overthrown, anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.

Because a lot of people either still don't know, or outright refuse to believe it still.

Also, it becomes touchy to them for the country to be criticized today of all days, even if it couldn't be helped for both events to have the same anniversary.

Also, the tact or lack of from either side.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

8 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Also, it becomes touchy to them for the country to be criticized today of all days, even if it couldn't be helped for both events to have the same anniversary.

Would it even be the same anniversary if we operated on a lunisolar or a lunar calendar instead of a solar one? Anniversaries, being units of time, are an artificial construct. I'd just keep that in mind for something like this. It ain't Israeli Independence and Nakba Days, wherein the events are two sides of a single coin.

But then, you're dealing with less chill, less removed, and not as wide perspectives I would think.

26 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Despite the turnoffs, the bod kept my attention, thinking how happily odd it would be to have a Tales male playable who by default looked like this.

He's playable in Berseria iirc. So there you go.

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Would it even be the same anniversary if we operated on a lunisolar or a lunar calendar instead of a solar one? Anniversaries, being units of time, are an artificial construct. I'd just keep that in mind for something like this. It ain't Israeli Independence and Nakba Days, wherein the events are two sides of a single coin.

But then, you're dealing with less chill, less removed, and not as wide perspectives I would think.

I'd say yes, since I feel we'd end up with the same amount of time to determine a year, thus same day no matter the calendar. Since they all depend on fixed points. How long it takes for Earth to orbit the Sun, and around its own axis. Unless, of course, we never considered either event as a measurement of time.

34 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Nah, switch out from FE. Try out Zone of Enders Fist of Mars instead.

Funnily enough it has been on my mind enough for me to pick it up again, and have been trying a run where instead of using the super powered Interactive Attack System (IAS, where when you engage in combat you either pay a targeting minigame to see if you hit/crit, or a dodging minigame to see if enemies hit you), I am trying it with raw percentages, which is funny, as seeing 50 hit isn't that unusual, and the high accuracy sniper character usually has hit rates in the 80-90s...

49 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

And Thracia both terrifies and excites me as another game that continues the use of dates but also has a reputation for being super difficult.

Thracia's difficulty is a bit deceptive, I would rather describe it as aggressively unfriendly to blind play. As one of my favorite comments about the game described it, it is like a game that was never intended to be played for the first time. Once you understand the fascinating, and weird way Thracia plays, and thinks, it isn't all that hard.

5 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Ka--

Fine, go and play Tellius so you can tell me how amazing the story is.

3 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Binding Blade was on my mind as well though part of me wants to do it much later because as it stands I never have actually beaten FE7, just gotten through a decent portion of it, and since I'd like to play these two games in quick succession, I'd rather wait until the memories of FE7 are not as fresh.

Not to worry, FE7 is a horrible prequel. The two games barely have anything to do with each other and 7 contradicts 6 on more than one occassion. You'd be fine.

These are all very interesting suggestions and I can't wait to play all of these games, but it seems Sacred Stones is a consistent answer, which makes sense also considering Ruben's recent posts about it.

Moulder Emblem it is, then!

Use Moulder.

Also I just got this tweet out of nowhere on my feed, so clearly the universe agrees.

Oh for sure! It's always interesting to have an alternate take on a game where you play as a villain.

3 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Hilda is great, though.

Telling a bandit boss he is a goat fucker is most certainly a way to make an entrance.

"Let's leave the boys to diddle their gravy givers."

I still use that one sometimes. It's great.

KEK

T89ol6ny o

Maximum respect for this guy. Also met an unironic XC2 elitist

8 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You know, all memes aside, I don't think people really stop to consider how silly Gheb is. Just this random-ass fatso who is unbelievably shitty for no reason is given command of the so-called "jewel of Grado's fortifications." What's this guy's story? Where does he come from? Why was he given this post? Did it happen before or after the whole mess started? What is the reason for him being so shitty? Tell me more, Sacred Stones.

Dude is a fucking one-off boss, why does it even matter?

Anyway. It's finally done.

XcfC5I3J_o.png

God, why is Syrene so hot?

Ngl team Binks here. He's wall-eyed, he has green chest hair and he's not obscenely unpleasant for absolutely no reason like Gheb is.

But Gheb gave us memes, so he is the correct choice. Even Cap says so

5 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Sacred Stones, always

https://i.redd.it/9o3t3pfsr3f61.png

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Not to worry, FE7 is a horrible prequel. The two games barely have anything to do with each other and 7 contradicts 6 on more than one occassion. You'd be fine.

At least FE7 was trying to tell an even remotely original story

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Allende was a commie. That alone is reason enough for him to be overthrown.

29 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ka--

Fine, go and play Tellius so you can tell me how amazing the story is.

Heh. Sorry, but I'd like to be able to do a post about the cultural inspirations of Fire Emblem sooner than later.

And at the very least I think it'd be interesting to play FE4 and 5 to see what carried over from those games into Kaga.

30 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

See that's the thing, I want to play these games back to back because I want to make fun of it.

31 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh for sure! It's always interesting to have an alternate take on a game where you play as a villain.

My crusade against sexism didn't find much resistance in Three Houses, however Hilda did tip me off a bit, not because she was a poor female character but because she radiated big cis woman energy.

It's harmless though. I think that's the point, how assumptious she is about gender roles and how silly it is.

I thought it was going to be Manuela but I suppose the sassy pigtailed character trope tradition had to be continued.

28 minutes ago, Punished06 said:

Sacred Stones, always

https://i.redd.it/9o3t3pfsr3f61.png

I can't wait to see how this side game explains the lore behind the Fire Emblem Awakening bride DLC

No seriously, my first real impressions of Eirika came from that DLC. I am all too eager to get rid of it.