• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Pain. Suffering even. Agony if you will.

8iL8Cta.jpg

Just now, Armagon said:

Oh wait, the next arc is Bohemian Rhapsody

...What on earth is this show?

1 minute ago, Benice said:

...What on earth is this show?

JoJo.

Remember, Araki is a big, big, big fan of music. 90% of the Stands are named after bands, albums and artists. Several characters also take naming inspiration from those as well (Dio, for example, is named after Ronnie James Dio).

Bohemian Rhapsody is a Stand that has the ability to bring to life literally all of fiction and it traps you into a role in whatever story it caught you in (bad news depending on the context).

31 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Which might be the worst kind of bad. Since really really bad can be entertaining in a schadenfreude sense, undramatic mediocrity is just bland. 

Although I will give ToZ the benefit of the doubt, I can't let others' impressions cloud my own personal judgement. Zestiria won't be bad until it is, if ever. 

At the least, well I'm sure the cast and story can't be as lacking as Graces. Which is the epitome of a slow-burn bummer IMO

Yeah ofc dont let my opinion tell you how to enjoy the game! 

Graces gameplay is god awful, let alone the storyline.

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

A bizarre adventure.

Apparently so.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Several characters also take naming inspiration from those as well (Dio, for example, is named after Ronnie James Dio).

Damn, I can't wait until the Nathalie Portman's Shaved Head stand drops.

...I really do need to watch this show at some point.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Bohemian Rhapsody is a Stand that has the ability to bring to life literally all of fiction and it traps you into a role in whatever story it caught you in (bad news depending on the context).

Please tell me that Kaga isn't its master...

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Graces gameplay is god awful, let alone the storyline.

Graces is on the grindy side with all those titles, but I'm in the camp that the gameplay was relatively good.

The A-Artes B-Artes system was nice, and I did like the abolishing of TP in favor of quick-regenerating CC. Zestiria also joining the no-TP camp is a positive for me, since having to worry about keeping stocked on Orange Gels, setting the AI to 50% TP retention and watching the spellcasters run up and poke things when they hit the threshold, wasn't fun. For the physical characters too TP was limiting, because combo fun demands Artes spam, otherwise it's the same boring basic two-four hit combo again and again with the occasional Arte tossed in.

20 hours ago, ping said:

For male characters, yes.

Link goes to the "getting damaged" sound of a Baldur's Gate character.

I shall resist making the obvious joke.

Sadly, the image did not load for me.

17 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Strangely relevant as I just got back from a ren fair.

13 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

I see you got to the lair of Those who Wub Wub in the dark.

Taking Magic Missile to a whole other level

Oh yeah, the music was a massive tonal shift.

It is cool that they tried out a new style, but also what the fuck.

I planned on beating the game today but I got a henna tattoo on my left hand that I need to keep dormant until before I go to sleep so I'll have to save it for tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Sadly, the image did not load for me.

Yeah, I forgot that the fandom wikis don't like hotlinking. It was supposed to be an audio file.
https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Imoen#Quotes - "Damage" sound effect.

Spoiler

In case you can't open it - I meant that female video game characters getting injured in combat often sound like they're currently in a rather different physical activity. And I have to say, I absolutely love the counterexample in Dark Souls that @BrightBow pointed out.

5 hours ago, Benice said:

Please tell me that Kaga isn't its master...

Just realised how much of a dice roll that would be.

4 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Oh yeah, the music was a massive tonal shift.

It is cool that they tried out a new style, but also what the fuck.

Probably would have been easier to take if it was in FE:Mars.

4 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

I planned on beating the game today but I got a henna tattoo on my left hand that I need to keep dormant until before I go to sleep so I'll have to save it for tomorrow.

Looking up, I saw that henna tattoos are temporary. Why did you go for it?

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

...You know i just now realized he's not there.

I've always gotten the feeling Ubisoft Milan just aren't big Josh fans. Both joshes had like, five minutes of availability in the first game and were complete afterthoughts, and now they appear to have straight up been removed in favor of the devs' edgy OC.

Frankly, I can't say I'll be the one crying over their graves. Edgy looks like the funniest character.

Oh yeah baby let's goooooooooooo

I am astonished.

Do not speak the cursed words into existence.

ngl if there's someone who might do the koopalings right, it's these guys. Imagine Ludwig just pulling a piano out of his ass and murdering things with notes, or the other guy shoving his balls in people's faces. Now that'd be something.

1 hour ago, Punished Dayni said:

Probably would have been easier to take if it was in FE:Mars.

But M

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Graces is on the grindy side with all those titles, but I'm in the camp that the gameplay was relatively good.

The A-Artes B-Artes system was nice, and I did like the abolishing of TP in favor of quick-regenerating CC. Zestiria also joining the no-TP camp is a positive for me, since having to worry about keeping stocked on Orange Gels, setting the AI to 50% TP retention and watching the spellcasters run up and poke things when they hit the threshold, wasn't fun. For the physical characters too TP was limiting, because combo fun demands Artes spam, otherwise it's the same boring basic two-four hit combo again and again with the occasional Arte tossed in.

The way Graces handled attack resistance made it's combat annoying, without going with the right attack off the bat, you were guaranteed interuppted otherwise. And moving costing the player CC if they wanted to free move was also really annoying imo. 

The difference in the ability to use overlimit was severely scewed. See in Xillia/Vesperia/Abyss Overlimit was actually reasonable to aquire and the reward was amazing. Graces gutted this and made it the opposite of fun to use in battle.

Curious, how do you legit run out of TP in XIllia?

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I've always gotten the feeling Ubisoft Milan just aren't big Josh fans. Both joshes had like, five minutes of availability in the first game and were complete afterthoughts

The rule being no new recruits until after the midboss of each world really hurt Yoshi. At least Rabbid Yoshi had a full world.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

or the other guy shoving his balls in people's faces

Interesting choice of words.

That moment when you have to repalette two characters' portraits because the devs didn't account for dark-skinned people when making combat sprites. So annoying.

Anyway. I've spent two hours making combat palettes. Everyone's done now. Whew.

BB78x6qa_o.png

Also, hat's finished, I'd say. Hats really do make everything better. Look at him, he looks so much cooler now. I'll keep the bald

25 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The rule being no new recruits until after the midboss of each world really hurt Yoshi. At least Rabbid Yoshi had a full world.

> Sequel appears to have every character either be there from the start or join super early. By the time of (what looks to be) the first boss, everyone is already on the team.

> Yoshi is cut from the sequel.

Being Yoshi is suffering.

25 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Interesting choice of words.

Ain't it now?

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That moment when you have to repalette two characters' portraits because the devs didn't account for dark-skinned people when making combat sprites. So annoying.

Anyway. I've spent two hours making combat palettes. Everyone's done now. Whew.

BB78x6qa_o.png

Also, hat's finished, I'd say. Hats really do make everything better. Look at him, he looks so much cooler now. I'll keep the bald

You made that? If so, it looks pretty good so far!

FcNlGdvWYAEqVrZ?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FcNlK1UWQAEbjUv?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FcNlLumWYAEeq7K?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Magneto don't mess around.

15 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Sequel appears to have every character either be there from the start or join super early. By the time of (what looks to be) the first boss, everyone is already on the team.

>Super early join times for everyone

>Massive customization

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Fine Ubisoft. You get $60. Just this once.

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Curious, how do you legit run out of TP in XIllia?

I never did, though I am fairly conservative with TP usage. I pretty much never used Orange and Pineapple Gels outside of bosses, set everyone to 50% TP retention, and didn't use too many Artes with whichever physical character I was controlling. I also routinely rotated the two characters in reserve, usually swapping out someone whenever they leveled up.

I don't dislike MP/TP entirely. However, I believe it works better in turn-based RPGs, when things become more realtime it becomes more of a hinderance if it doesn't regenerate fast enough, if at all.

• I'm reminded of how Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia opted to make MP automatically replenish really fast, which made Shanoa much more fun than her predecessors and her successor Miriel. What's the point to Soma having access to like 100 enemy souls when he can run out of MP to use them in a half-minute and has to wait like five minutes to get it all back? 
  • Not dissimilarly, I preferred A Link Between Worlds opting for quick-replenishing stamina over the old green magic meter of ALttP-OoT-MM-WW.
  • Xenoblade making basic attack automatic removes button-mashing tedium, and paired with a lack of an MP mechanic means all you have to actively press for is Arts, and you can use those without the concern of running out of some kind of magic points. Final Fantasy XII with vaguely similar gameplay by contrast to XB retained a concept of MP and it was a mistake for that system IMO.

The way Graces handled attack resistance made it's combat annoying, without going with the right attack off the bat, you were guaranteed interuppted otherwise. And moving costing the player CC if they wanted to free move was also really annoying imo. 

The bolded did make the combat a little stiffer than Abyss, but it wasn't a huge deal. I got used to it. CC is restored fast anyhow.

As for enemies being difficult to stagger, other than the aura barriers, I don't remember it too much. Not to say I didn't dislike it, I think I vaguely remember what you're saying, but it's been quite a while.

The difference in the ability to use overlimit was severely scewed. See in Xillia/Vesperia/Abyss Overlimit was actually reasonable to aquire and the reward was amazing. Graces gutted this and made it the opposite of fun to use in battle.

I completely forget how Overlimit worked in any of those games. When I have it, I'll pop it for a Mystic Arte right away against a boss, if I don't have it, I don't think a single thought about any intricacies of building it up or whatnot. 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer