Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Wait so Berwick has supports? What is that system like?

There is not much to say about it. Unlike TearRing Saga before and even the recent Vestaria Saga, support bonuses do not improve based on story events. It's just the same static bonus from the first map up to the final one.
Which is pretty strange, but I guess they just didn't get to implement a system like that for Berwick.

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

Which Tellius did best as well. They don't have be standing next to each other. Just on the same chapter together.

Well, PoR. I will say that RD probably has my favorite or second favorite support system gameplay wise, though.

I wish that PoR only had one one-note character, but what can you do. Then again, I can just kill them off so that there IS only one! Bigbrain!

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

There is not much to say about it. Unlike TearRing Saga before and even the recent Vestaria Saga, support bonuses do not improve based on story events. It's just the same static bonus from the first map up to the final one.
Which is pretty strange, but I guess they just didn't get to implement a system like that for Berwick.

Considering FE did the switch as well, maybe it was part of that "Don't step on Nintendo's toes, they already sued you twice over the similarities already". So back to Thracia style static supports. I mean, Berwick was going to have pegasi, but also ditched them. So... who knows...

Just now, Benice said:

Well, PoR. I will say that RD probably has my favorite or second favorite support system gameplay wise, though.

You mean the one that doesn't exist? 😛 

1 minute ago, Benice said:

wish that PoR only had one one-note character, but what can you do. Then again, I can just kill them off so that there IS only one! Bigbrain!

I will never understand why you dislike PoR's cast so much. Gameplay, sure. But PoR has one of the most inoffensive casts in the series, barring Kieran.

If Radiant Dawn had actual support conversations, that game's support system would be literally perfect imo.
In Three Houses, as much as I like that game, it never felt like higher support ranks had any actual impact. And in Echoes, only a few (read: one (Alm/Faye)) support had any meaningful effect on unit performance.

I also liked the affinity system, not gonna lie. Changed how units worked depending on who supported who. Was neat!

Edited by DragonFlames

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

If Radiant Dawn had actual support conversations, that game's support system would be literally perfect imo.
In Three Houses, as much as I like that game, it never felt like higher support ranks had any actual impact. And in Echoes, only a few (read: one (Alm/Faye)) support had any meaningful effect on unit performance.

Agreed.

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Considering FE did the switch as well, maybe it was part of that "Don't step on Nintendo's toes, they already sued you twice over the similarities already". So back to Thracia style static supports. I mean, Berwick was going to have pegasi, but also ditched them. So... who knows...

Which is sad, since it’s the perfect chance to implement something better instead...

4 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

From pure gameplay prespective, not writing, Fates did it best

Attack/Guard stance >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bonuses

Congratulations on having the correct opinion!

Like I (think I?) said before though, I don’t know if that really counts as a support system.

Edited by Sooks

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

What do you mean? If anything Berwick is more like how supports were in Mystery And Thracia.

TearRing Saga had a different system where supports were created or improved based on story events. Like how Kate and Zieg start out with no support bonus, but develop a powerful one as their relationship develops as the story progresses. It's not something you grind for. It's just something that happens at specific points in the story if certain conditions are meet.

In Berwick Saga, characters still have their arcs and develop their relationships. But it has no effect whatsoever on support boni. They are entirely static.

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

You mean the one that doesn't exist? 😛 

Nah, I liked the way they grew quickly and provided meaningful bonuses. Sometimes.

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I will never understand why you dislike PoR's cast so much.

PoR is growing on me...If only to the point that I'd rather play it than Three Houses. Mostly because TH makes me furious, but it's still something.

But the cast is just rather hit-or-miss. You get really interesting characters like Tormod, simple but nice characters like Oscar, but you also have Mia, Ilyana, Devdan, Nephenee, Largo, Keiran, Gatrie, etc., etc. I don't mind some one-note characters, (I like Devdan a fair bit) but there a few too many for my tastes.

But to me, where PoR actually does well is the worldbuilding. It and RD are the only FEs to do a good job with it, and I applaud that.

4 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

@Benice Not that there's anything wrong with disliking it. I just don't understand why. Nothing wrong with having that opinion, of course.

There damn well is something wrong with it since my opinons just cause problems.

Just now, BrightBow said:

What do you mean? If anything Berwick is more like how supports were in Mystery And Thracia.

TearRing Saga had a different system where supports were created or improved based on story events. Like how Kate and Zieg start out with no support bonus, but develop a powerful one as their relationship develops as the story progresses. It's not something you grind for. It's just something that happens at specific points in the story if certain conditions are meet.

In Berwick Saga, characters still have their arcs and develop their relationships. But it has no effect whatsoever on support boni. They are entirely static.

Precisely that. In FE support bonuses were static. Just like how TearRing implemented a system where they changed, so did FE when they added support ranks. Nintendo sued Kaga because of how similar TearRing was to FE. So with FE sticking to having support bonuses change, Kaga likely didn't want to risk it, and returned to static support bonuses. Didn't matter if there was still a difference of how they activated (optional support convos vs story events), what mattered was that the system was similar enough.

Which is also likely Kaga did changes like ditching pegasi for Berwick.

Nintendo still tried to sue Kaga again over Berwick. The request was denied, but they still tried.

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

If only to the point that I'd rather play it than Three Houses. Mostly because TH makes me furious, but it's still something.

I thought TH was just boring..?

Nah, I liked the way they grew quickly and provided meaningful bonuses. Sometimes.

I mean the lack of actual conversations. 😛

But the cast is just rather hit-or-miss. You get really interesting characters like Tormod, simple but nice characters like Oscar, but you also have Mia, Ilyana, Devdan, Nephenee, Largo, Keiran, Gatrie, etc., etc. I don't mind some one-note characters, (I like Devdan a fair bit) but there a few too many for my tastes.

Ilyana, Mia, and Neph are all one-note? Well, to each their own.

But to me, where PoR actually does well is the worldbuilding. It and RD are the only FEs to do a good job with it, and I applaud that.

happy Tellius fan noises

There damn well is something wrong with it since my opinons just cause problems.

Nah, man. There's not a thing you're doing with your opinions to cause any problems at all.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Precisely that. In FE support bonuses were static. Just like how TearRing implemented a system where they changed, so did FE when they added support ranks. Nintendo sued Kaga because of how similar TearRing was to FE. So with FE sticking to having support bonuses change, Kaga likely didn't want to risk it, and returned to static support bonuses. Didn't matter if there was still a difference of how they activated (optional support convos vs story events), what mattered was that the system was similar enough.

Tear Ring Saga is a year older then FE6, though. So obviously Kaga wouldn't be copying FE6 by simply keeping a system of TRS.

Edited by BrightBow

I've also gotten back into Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires a little.
It's a bit of a shame that the game lacks a bit of substance, but dang if it isn't fun kicking ass with characters you create yourself.
And the character creation thingy is actually pretty good in that game.

Mostly because TH makes me furious, but it's still something.

Until a few weeks ago, Fates did this to me.
Now that has become apathy. You'll get there, too, I'm sure.

Just now, DragonFlames said:

I've also gotten back into Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires a little.
It's a bit of a shame that the game lacks a bit of substance, but dang if it isn't fun kicking ass with characters you create yourself.
And the character creation thingy is actually pretty good in that game.

Is that the one you recommended to me a while back? I may need to check that out.

Attack stance kinda fell off because of how much better defense stance is in Conquest, I stopped really using in like midgame.

@Benice there aren’t any problems here, people are just talking

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Is that the one you recommended to me a while back? I may need to check that out.

The one I recommended to you was the mainline Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends (for being the one I know is on Switch xD). The Empires games are spin-offs, and Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires is on Switch... but Japan only, sadly.

Edited by DragonFlames

4 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Tear Ring Saga is a year older then FE6, though. So obviously he wouldn't be copying FE6 by simply keeping a system of TRS.

Other way around. TRS 2001, BB 2002.

BB was in development at the time, likely. Even before if we consider Maiden of Darkness. Even then, it wouldn't matter. Corporation can sue over the smallest things. The fact that when Kaga won the first lawsuit their response was to sue again shows how frivolous they can be.

4 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

@ SRW pros

don't some SRW games have units with abilities similiar to attack and def stance, that need to charge or something like that?

If it's what I think it is, yeah, SRW has the Support system. Support Attack/Defend. This is something practically every units has access to. No need to charge.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Gotta say, it's really rough how Christine and Ward don't have the tiniest support bonus.
Meanwhile Ruby and Clifford, despite their relationship being equally bad, still support each other.

But yeah, the reason is probably because support bonus growth isn't a thing in this game. Ruby and Clifford have a support bonus because they can eventually reconcile. But Ward and Christine can never reconcile over the course of the game, so they don't have a support bonus.
Still, it feels depressing.

Edited by BrightBow