Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Just now, Sooks said:

Make a thread then.

Maybe I should. I'm afraid I'll come across as too combative, though. I know full well I tend to, when it comes to this game.

Plus, it's late and I don't really feel like it at the moment.

• Replies 180.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

No but you see, when we do it it's fine because our waifus are objectively better

Smh mentioning characters from a game, stop being obsessive.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Maybe I should. I'm afraid I'll come across as too combative, though. I know full well I tend to, when it comes to this game.

Plus, it's late and I don't really feel like it at the moment.

Why be afraid? They’re strangers on the internet. And curiosity is hardly combative.

It would be a more efficient way of not “ranting at a wall” or whatever you said.

If you want to, of course.

Edited by Sooks

unknown.png?width=769&height=432

What the fuck, there can be four enemies? There's never been four enemies before.

24 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

But when the time comes to talk about the gameplay, people say very little. "It's good", "it's fine I like it" or "I enjoy customizing my favorite characters." I don't think I've ever seen anyone truly praising Three Houses's map design or mechanic design.

Don't tell anyone i said this but this is gameplay discussion for most Fire Emblem games. Because what constitutes as "good map design" or "good mechanic design" is so different for everyone. I don't mean to imply that all gameplay discussion is like this but like, ok, let's look at Genealogy. Why do people like Genealogy? It's usually because of the story. But when talking about the gameplay, there's not actually a whole lot. People say they like the big maps because it matches with the story and whatnot but the map design isn't really discussed. At least among the people who like the game, the people who don't like the game will rip into the maps any day of the week but we're not talking about them.

SoV, where even fans of it acknowledge that the maps are a meme. But why do people like the game? Probably because of the story and characters. Or they like the traditional RPG aspects.

GBA FE? Peak "i just think it's neat".

Thracia fans like Fatigue because "it forces you to use different units each time" even though everyone is totally fine with using the same units in other Fire Emblem games but shhhhhh.

Hell even with KagaSaga, you kinda see that just less so because they're obscure as fuck. From what @Spara has posted about Holy Sword here, his posts about the gameplay have usually been just how wild everything is.

I think the only game that has actually had "good map design" or "mechanics" be the forefront of it's gameplay discussion is Conquest. Mainly because gameplay is like the thing that hard carries that game.

So honestly, i don't really see your point or BrightBow's point. Fire Emblem as a series is pretty much built around personal experience, it's like Pokemon in that sense. Or....any game really. Anything really.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

Okay, I think I'll finally start Vestaria now. And see if I can do an LP out of it...

Godspeed.

20 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ehhhh I have to disagree there. When I first played it, I really liked it, but the weak gameplay began to drag it down really hard in the later stages. And on my replays, this fatal flaw only increased my dislike for the game further and further.

I'm not even sure how it could have a good start. The game looks like most of it's textures are placeholders, something that's far from ready to be sold in stores. And the protagonist is Byleth "Ain't Nepotism a Bitch" Eisner, who is the beloved teacher of every single important personality in the game world despite being a level 1 unit.

This seems like a game that can only really grow on you. That you might start to like despite it's flaws and it's terrible first impression. But if it actually gets worse over time...? Yeah...

Edited by BrightBow

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Hell even with KagaSaga, you kinda see that just less so because they're obscure as fuck. From what @Spara has posted about Holy Sword here, his posts about the gameplay have usually been just how wild everything is.

We're just twice as loud to make up for it 😛

Though I do think KagaSaga largely has great maps, it's no stranger to total stinkers, mainly in TRS (looking at you Map 32). HSoS has only one really bad map I can think of, a couple boring ones, and the rest are at worst really cool concepts that could use a touch up in execution. 

Also, I dunno about CQ being the only one, Berwick stans like me won't shut up about its map design. But I see your point. 

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Thracia fans like Fatigue because "it forces you to use different units each time" even though everyone is totally fine with using the same units in other Fire Emblem games but shhhhhh.

I like games where I can't use the same single team, at least, or barring that, one where I kinda have to leverage using the whole cast. Building a single team of stacked units isn't very fun for me, and is why I usually put GBA and Awakening/3H so low, though I have a distaste for GBA for other reasons. 

14 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Okay, I think I'll finally start Vestaria now. And see if I can do an LP out of it...

I will kill you if you dislike it.

I mean, I hope you enjoy it!

Why be afraid? They’re strangers on the internet. And curiosity is hardly combative.

It would be more efficient instead of “ranting at a wall” or whatever you said.

If you want to, of course.

Eh... Fair enough, but I worry that it will devolve into a fight between people of opposing opinions. You know, like it always does in this thread. Still, maybe I'll do it at some point. I don't think it's possible to change my mind about Three Houses at this point, but I'd like to know what people see in it, beyond just "story and characters good."

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Don't tell anyone i said this but this is gameplay discussion for most Fire Emblem games. Because what constitutes as "good map design" or "good mechanic design" is so different for everyone. I don't mean to imply that all gameplay discussion is like this but like, ok, let's look at Genealogy. Why do people like Genealogy? It's usually because of the story. But when talking about the gameplay, there's not actually a whole lot. People say they like the big maps because it matches with the story and whatnot but the map design isn't really discussed. At least among the people who like the game, the people who don't like the game will rip into the maps any day of the week but we're not talking about them.

SoV, where even fans of it acknowledge that the maps are a meme. But why do people like the game? Probably because of the story and characters. Or they like the traditional RPG aspects.

GBA FE? Peak "i just think it's neat".

I think the only game that has actually had "good map design" or "mechanics" be the forefront of it's gameplay discussion is Conquest. Mainly because gameplay is like the thing that hard carries that game.

So honestly, i don't really see your point or BrightBow's point. Fire Emblem as a series is pretty much built around personal experience, it's like Pokemon in that sense. Or....any game really. Anything really.

You know, that's not a bad point. Good gameplay is as subjective as any other aspect. Maybe I should just get my head out of my own butt.

...I'm just really worried the next FE will be Three Houses 2. Is that so bad? I don't want to be like Shrimpy, but with FE instead...

Just one tidbit: About everyone being totally fine with using the same units in FEs that aren't Thracia... I don't think that's the case. People just accept it because there's no other choice in most FEs, but if it was possible, I think people would really appreciate it if more games encourages having broader teams like Thracia does.

8 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I'm not even sure how it could have a good start. The game looks like most of it's textures are placeholders and the protagonist is Byleth "Ain't Nepotism a Bitch" Eisner, who is the beloved teacher of every single important personality in the game despite being a level 1 unit.

This seems like a game that can only really grow on you. That you might start to like despite it's flaws, despite it's first impression being so terrible.

Honestly? I genuinely enjoyed the customization aspect of the unit building, and the monastery was cool to explore at first. Of course, eventually both of those mechanics proved to be double-edged swords and came back to cut me in the worst possible ways, but... For what it's worth, I truly did like the game at first.

As for Byleth and the graphics, well, I think my Conquest impressions proved well enough that I couldn't care less if a game's story or graphics are bad. Sure, I'll diss them endlessly, but if the gameplay is good I'll ignore those flaws a thousand times over. Exhibit 1: New Mystery. Listed as my favorite FE. I think the story of that game is utter trash, with only like, a few supports to redeem it. I also think that, while I don't hate the DS visuals as much as everyone else, the battle animations are awful and the HUD is a huge step-down from Shadow Dragon's beautiful, ornate HUD. But I don't care. The game is good.

Heck, if the story's bad enough I might even consider it a good thing. Conquest was so utterly ridiculous in every possible way that I couldn't help but love its unabashed incompetence. It's the The Room of FEs, and Garon is Tommy Wiseau.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Eh... Fair enough, but I worry that it will devolve into a fight between people of opposing opinions. You know, like it always does in this thread.

Bound to be better takes than some of the ones over here.

4 minutes ago, Spara said:

I like games where I can't use the same single team, at least, or barring that, one where I kinda have to leverage using the whole cast. Building a single team of stacked units isn't very fun for me, and is why I usually put GBA and Awakening/3H so low, though I have a distaste for GBA for other reasons. 

Yeah, that's fair, i mainly just brought up Fatigue as an example, since that's like the main reason i see people like it.

Even though i think most people don't have an issue with using the same team over and over again.

FB_IMG_1616710537424.jpg?width=675&height=676

7 minutes ago, Spara said:

Berwick stans like me won't shut up about its map design.

That is true but there's also only eight Berwick stans in the whole world.

..I'm just really worried the next FE will be Three Houses 2. Is that so bad?

I mean honestly, i don't want it to be Three Houses 2 either. We've had three games with route splits in a row, even if one of them was a remake. Bring back traditional story structure please.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Just one tidbit: About everyone being totally fine with using the same units in FEs that aren't Thracia... I don't think that's the case. People just accept it because there's no other choice in most FEs, but if it was possible, I think people would really appreciate it if more games encourages having broader teams like Thracia does.

No you definitely have the choice in other FEs, people just choose not to. Usually.

I was a little surprised to see the ending Adventure Time: Pirate of the Enchiridion pretty much had a very quick climax. It sorta made sense, but there was no actual final boss moment in it.

Course, there's the fact it's a non-canon game to the show that tries to fit itself in by not taking any undoable actions, but there being no last ditch effort to stop the heroes definitely felt off.

(Wanting to talk about anything too anti-boomer, I know)

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Hah! I... don't usually use half these guys once I can avoid doing so... I don't think I've ever even use Caineghis because Giffca's class has a funny name, and I prefer the humor of my idiot brain.

Though you will see me try to use Leonardo every single run 'cuz I'm a simp for blonde archers but hey

Even though i think most people don't have an issue with using the same team over and over again.

Just now, Armagon said:

No you definitely have the choice in other FEs, people just choose not to. Usually.

I am an exception here. One of the reasons I find FE so much fun to replay is that I can make my teams look different every run. Now, of course, I have some favorites that I tend to use more often, but I've used most units in the FEs I've played. For reference, I'm pretty sure the only units I've never used in FE6 are Rutger and Clarine. In FE8 I think I've used everyone at one point or another. In TRS, I think it's only Verna and Vega left at this point. Nobody in Berwick Saga, even Volo had his chance. So on, so forth.

Besides, what I meant wasn't that. What I was saying was that I like it when FEs encourage using different teams in the same run. Like, instead of just benching 50 units and keeping the same 14 the entire way through. Thracia encourages switching things up, and that's nice.

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I will kill you if you dislike it.

I mean, I hope you enjoy it!

Too bad I can't apparently say the same thing about SRW to you.

Anyway, that was the plan, but my mom called me over to help her set-up the new oven she bought. Now it's time to eat. So Vestaria time got delayed I'm afraid.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

Too bad I can't apparently say the same thing about SRW to you.

One of these days, I'll give you the pleasure.

Maybe.

Don't count on it.

Mechas aren't really my thing.

But maybe.

I cleared Rhea’s paralogue and a quest battle, si now that my break is finished it’s time for chapter 16. Byleth and Ferdinand certified for wyvern lord, while Caspar certified for war master.

For reference, I'm pretty sure the only units I've never used in FE6 are Rutger and Clarine. In FE8 I think I've used everyone at one point or another. In TRS, I think it's only Verna and Vega left at this point.

Gee, i wonder why.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Thracia encourages switching things up, and that's nice.

Well i think it's less that Thracia encourages you and more that it forces you but i guess i can see why that would be nice for some people.

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

In TRS, I think it's only Verna and Vega left at this point.

You haven't used 3rd Prettiest Pegasus and Mr. Map 37 Cheese yet? Damn, you gotta change that. 

See, this is why I need to return to my first run and try out other units for the endgame. I had a ton of options to work with, even if I picked mostly OP options first time.

As for "Oh we only use one team", this is something I was pretty good at avoiding honestly. Even if I tend to use fixed units constantly because the thought of Level 1 lords just causes me to have a mental freeze of fear. Even with 3H (Just an easy recent enough example) I made a point of focusing on the Faculty in SS (That run had of course had it's final map to arguably spoil it, but eh), so I don't think it's exactly gone from me.

And yeah, that point about Thracia forcing versatility vs. what much of the complaining has been about where people are too willing to use their favourites is a feather for Thracia, but I don't think it's necessarily as restrictive as some will put it.

Just now, Sooks said:

I cleared Rhea’s paralogue and a quest battle, si now that my break is finished it’s time for chapter 16. Byleth and Ferdinand certified for wyvern lord, while Caspar certified for war master.

Fair warning, the "Ambush spawns" are not actual ambush spawns. They won't immediately move after they show up. Just a reminder.

I was planning on popping on TRS, but it didn't occur. Alas I suppose.

Gee, i wonder why.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Nobody in Berwick Saga, even Volo had his chance

I still cannot believe Volo turned out to be a good person.

Well i think it's less that Thracia encourages you and more that it forces you but i guess i can see why that would be nice for some people.

I do think Berwick Saga does it better. It doesn't force you to use multiple teams, but due to stats and levelling up being relatively unimportant in comparison to FE, you can definitely get away with it if you so wish. I've had runs where I used a big bunch of units, and at no point was I left wishing I hadn't.

Just now, Spara said:

You haven't used 3rd Prettiest Pegasus and Mr. Map 37 Cheese yet? Damn, you gotta change that. 

Verna is quite pretty, but all the leather on Sierra makes me feel certain things that all those puny peggie knights cannot match. As for Vega... C'mon, surely you jest! Have you forgotten who you're speaking to?

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

As for Vega... C'mon, surely you jest! Have you forgotten who you're speaking to?

I mean, yeah, but watching all the dragons whiff and kill each other is well worth it. 

Also Kaga edgelords aren't that bad, considering how Volo is a good boy, Haldyn is a dork, and Asuram... if you want to call him an edgelord. But who wouldn't be pissed after catching an incurable terminal illness? Though he is also a good guy, and I wouldn't call him an edgelord because of how he is around people like Sjarta. Most people just see a long, dark-haired male swordmaster and go "edgelord."

Oh, and speaking of Asuram... His HSoS portrait is so different from the one in VS1, it's funny. Ravinia and Lagniel also got super different portraits.

Spoiler

plasticsurgeryemblem.png

1 minute ago, Spara said:

Also Kaga edgelords aren't that bad, considering how Volo is a good boy, Haldyn is a dork, and Asuram... if you want to call him an edgelord. But who wouldn't be pissed after catching an incurable terminal illness? Though he is also a good guy, and I wouldn't call him an edgelord because of how he is around people like Sjarta. Most people just see a long, dark-haired male swordmaster and go "edgelord."

I'll admit, I am guilty of this. Mostly because in FE it is a rather foolproof assumption. Haldyn was the first to prove it incorrect, though.

Wysosdsu o

Fun fact: I pulled him out of the bench 10 chapters into the game after this line, simply because I enjoyed it so much. Had to train him on the spot so he could keep up. The guy deserved it.

After seeing Haldyn, I shouldn't have been so surprised when Volo turned out to be a wonderful person who is just shy.

1 minute ago, Spara said:

Oh, and speaking of Asuram... His HSoS portrait is so different from the one in VS1, it's funny. Ravinia and Lagniel also got super different portraits.

Hide contents

plasticsurgeryemblem.png

Ravinia just looks weird in HSoS, but man, Lagniel got one hell of an improvement. He actually looks like something now!

29 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah, that's fair, i mainly just brought up Fatigue as an example, since that's like the main reason i see people like it.

Well, the issue here is that most of the cast of Radiant Dawn is virtually interchangeable.

If you use Gatrie, you are using Ike but worse. If you use Mia, you are using Ike but worse. If you are using Boyd, you are using Ike but worse. If you are using Gatrie, you are using Ike but worse. If you are using Oscar, you are using Haar but worse. If you are using Rolf, you are using Shinon but worse, but also Ike but worse because being an archer in this game makes you no different from anyone else who has access to ranged weapons.

Edited by BrightBow

3 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Well, the issue here is that most of the cast of Radiant Dawn is virtually interchangeable.

If you use Gatrie, you are using Ike but worse. If you use Mia, you are using Ike but worse. If you are using Boyd, you are using Ike but worse. If you are using Gatrie, you are using Ike but worse. If you are using Oscar, you are using Haar but worse. If you are using Rolf, you are using Shinon but worse, but also Ike but worse because being an archer in this game makes you no different from anyone else who has access to ranged weapons.

I like that Gatrie is there twice.