Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I like that Gatrie is there twice.

Sorry about that mixup there. Just imagine I wrote Brom. Because Brom is already Gatrie but worse, which by extension makes Brom also Ike but worse.

Edited by BrightBow

• Replies 176.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Sorry about that mixup there. Just imagine I wrote Brom. Because Brom is already Gatrie but worse, which makes Brom by extension also Ike but worse.

Brom has something that Gatrie and Ike could never hope to match, however.

He is funny. And in my book, being funny >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> being an objectively good unit.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Brom has something that Gatrie and Ike could never hope to match, however.

He is funny. And in my book, being funny >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> being an objectively good unit.

Oh absolutely.

But it would be nice if units also had more tangible gameplay perks, though.

I mean, that's the great tragedy of Ruby. You invest so much to get her out of her initial rut, and you just end up with a mediocre pile of stats with no qualities that allow her to go beyond that.
Like, Elbert got Provoke to manipulate enemy AI. Arthur got the amazing Desperation and the shockingly flexible Hurry. Ward is also a mediocre pile of stats, but he also has Robust, so if he takes a heavy hit, at least he faces no risk to actually get crippled.

Edited by BrightBow

Okay the enemies here are a little ridiculous. Do we really need that many guys?

22 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I still cannot believe Volo turned out to be a good person.

Meanwhile: “I won’t look into Hilda’s character at all because I don’t like her now!” 😜

I mean she’s not actually a good person, but...

22 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Fair warning, the "Ambush spawns" are not actual ambush spawns. They won't immediately move after they show up. Just a reminder.

That’s not entirely true, the paladins from behind Ladislava and the enemies that spawn from the fort are both ambush spawns.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

That’s not entirely true, the paladins from behind Ladislava and the enemies that spawn from the fort are both ambush spawns.

I was referring to the ones that act like they're a big ambush specifically (when you pass a certain point).

Apologies for not being clear while trying to describe something in case you had forgotten.

10 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Ward is also a mediocre pile of stats, but he also has Robust, so if he takes a heavy hit, at least he faces no risk to actually get crippled.

Come now, don't sell Ward short. Aside from Robust, he also has Guard, which is immensely useful in a few situations; he has a great shielding rate with the best shield type in the game and good hitrates with spears, and he's endgame ready from the beginning of the game, which certainly counts for something. His availability is iffy, much like Reese's, but still, I would not compare him to Ruby, the guy's way more useful than her without any investment required. I struggle to justify deploying Ruby after she promotes and recruits her dad, because after that she's just a mediocre rider with no niches of her own.

9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Meanwhile: “I won’t look into Hilda’s character at all because I don’t like her now!” 😜

I mean she’s not actually a good person, but...

Looking into her only made her worse! I didn't even know about the whole slave business until someone else pointed it out!

Edited by Saint Rubenio

9 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Ward is also a mediocre pile of stats, but he also has Robust, so if he takes a heavy hit, at least he faces no risk to actually get crippled.

Like Ruben said, Ward is quite good, particularly because of Guard with MShields on a cav! He's basically always useful, and the only time I've ever undeployed him was in my ranked attempt while I was trying to build other units' weapon skills.

1 minute ago, Spara said:

Like Ruben said, Ward is quite good, particularly because of Guard with MShields on a cav! He's basically always useful, and the only time I've ever undeployed him was in my ranked attempt while I was trying to build other units' weapon skills.

For the longest time I didn't even know he could be undeployed lol. But even after I found out, in my last run the only time I benched him was for 11-1. I needed the room for infantry that could climb cliffs faster. Beyond that, he was in every map, because he was genuinely good enough to earn his spot even going into the lategame.

...And the beard. How could I go into a map without the beard?

16 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I was referring to the ones that act like they're a big ambush specifically (when you pass a certain point).

Apologies for not being clear while trying to describe something in case you had forgotten.

Acheron’s squad? Their problem is the sheer number of enemies, especially powerful paladins, but I made it work without a divine pulse.

You don’t need to word anything vaguely though, I’ve played this game 10+ times. 👀

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Acheron’s squad? Their problem is the sheer number of enemies, especially powerful paladins, but I made it work without a divine pulse.

You don’t need to word anything vaguely though, I’ve played this game 10+ times. 👀

I should bow then?

(Has played 5 times total)

49 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Mostly because in FE it is a rather foolproof assumption.

Funnily enough, i think the "edgy" part of the edgy swordman just moved on to other units starting since Sacred Stones and the characters that are in the "Navarre archtype" are no longer edgy. 

Even Lon'qu, who you'd think would be the edgy swordman, isn't actually edgy. He's just traumatized.

I think the only exception would be Felix.

Edited by Armagon

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Gotta say, I know this is just going to sound like Boomer Ruben at it again, but I kinda sorta agree with Brightbow on this one. It's a similar case to Path of Radiance for me. I see endless praise for the story and characters. Mind, I don't think this is unwarranted - they're pretty good, even if I do find them to be rather overrated. But when the time comes to talk about the gameplay, people say very little. "It's good", "it's fine I like it" or "I enjoy customizing my favorite characters." I don't think I've ever seen anyone truly praising Three Houses's map design or mechanic design. Quite the opposite, I've seen even big fans of the game who admit that things like the monastery and the maps aren't all that great, in hindsight.

Time to go a bit to bat for Path of Radiance here, as it does have some solid map design (some particularly notable duds as well, but what game doesn't?), the issue is far more with mechanics that can be easily broken latter into the game (most notably the BEXP mechanics and some broken combos like double Earth supports, and Wrath-Resolve), and not having a satisfying difficulty setting for how trivial the latter game becomes thanks to those mechanics. Sorry that I am not going more in depth, but I felt the need too comment on Armagon's comments a bit as well.

53 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I don't mean to imply that all gameplay discussion is like this but like, ok, let's look at Genealogy. Why do people like Genealogy? It's usually because of the story. But when talking about the gameplay, there's not actually a whole lot. People say they like the big maps because it matches with the story and whatnot but the map design isn't really discussed. At least among the people who like the game, the people who don't like the game will rip into the maps any day of the week but we're not talking about them.

Genealogy's map design isn't discussed because the map complaint people have is just big=bad. Discussing the good aspects of the map size is just going to be drowned out by BIG=BAD, so why talk about the way that makes strategic concerns a part of how you face a map, whereas most Fire Emblems its only really tactical concerns (honestly the question of whether a terrain type is sufficient to anchor my flank and for how long is a question that has only come up in Genealogy, and because of the size of the map, and enemy formations), or the way maps can shift in feel between castles, like at the end of chapter 9 where the inbound wyverna force you to mount a defense of your multiple taken castles, and the question of how many resources to allocate to each, etc.. Plus one of the better aspect of Genealogy is the way it merges gameplay elements and story together, which makes it difficult to disentangle the two.

SoV, where even fans of it acknowledge that the maps are a meme. But why do people like the game? Probably because of the story and characters. Or they like the traditional RPG aspects.

And once again people being able to make easy jokes about the map design being a jokes stifles that conversation. When MAP DESIGN=JOKE  you don't get talk about the places where it did have brilliant map design, like the way Act two functions as an effective gameplay tutorial, the Fire Emblem Gaiden/Echoes equivalent to Mario 1-1 (although why they had that be act 2 instead of act 1 is kinda silly...). There isn't much talk about how perfectly the turnwheel numbers were designed for players that avoided all possible optional encounters either, but I think that is more down to me being one of the only people I know that tried something like that in this game (as there are a lot of optional encounters that take effort to avoid...).

Thracia fans like Fatigue because "it forces you to use different units each time" even though everyone is totally fine with using the same units in other Fire Emblem games but shhhhhh.

And different isn't necessarily bad. The faigue of valuable units is just another resource to manage, which is more interesting than the item management that a lot of Fire Emblems have lying around...

1 minute ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Discussing the good aspects of the map size is just going to be drowned out by BIG=BAD

I literally said we weren't talking about the people who think big=bad.

3 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

And once again people being able to make easy jokes about the map design being a jokes stifles that conversation.

I disagree, you can discuss and still make jokes.

4 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

like the way Act two functions as an effective gameplay tutorial,

Wait why is Act 2 the effective gameplay tutorial and not Act 1?

23 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I should bow then?

(Has played 5 times total)

Puny mortal. This is my fourteenth play through.

10 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Can I just say that I'm the person who benched Ward in Berwick? 

Good. Always bench Jagens (I think he’s the Jagen).

5 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Random thought: Persona 5 has a PS3 port. Which the PS4 port built upon.

It seems to make no sense that a Switch port is impossible.

Maybe give it time.

But I'd rather a Steam port. The biggest tragedy: SRW games on Steam, but sadly that does have region-lock.

Just now, Armagon said:

Wait why is Act 2 the effective gameplay tutorial and not Act 1?

Who knows, but if you look at the Act 2 maps, its really clear that it is, as each is teaching a fairly clear and understandable lesson through the gameplay...

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

I literally said we weren't talking about the people who think big=bad.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

I disagree, you can discuss and still make jokes.

Odd as this sounds, good discussions generally need good faith opposition to really get off the ground. When the sides are a brick wall and an echo chamber, its not conductive to that kind of in depth discussion, unless you have someone with the dedication to just write out an essay.