Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

For its worth, they did had that plot point that due to Richter being possessed/dark-succumbed, the Belmonts couldn't use the whip for quite a while. Which led to the Morris family holding it (Bloodlines, Portrait of Ruin) in the interim.

And yet, no surprise b/c Castlevania timeline is mostly an afterthought, Soleil Belmont's Game Boy possession didn't result in the whip getting handed over. I don't think it's until Portrait of Ruin that they canonized Castlevania: Bloodlines, because at the time, Bloodlines -called "Vampire Killer" in Japan without Akumajo Dracula- was marketed as being separate from Castlevania.

Although, a difference is that Soleil possibly never used the Vampire Killer, while Richter had it during his possession. You could say that is what contaminated things.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Tales has multiplayer????????

If you have extra controllers, other people can take control of the other characters in battle.

Of course, the non-first players are stuck not being able to do anything outside of battle. And who wants to be stuck with the mage or the healer? Casting spells isn't very fun.

In principle, I can see how it could be great if you had fellow players and both of you controlled physical fighters, maybe you could stunlock a boss with a precise alternation of arts. But in practice, how often has Tales been played multiplayer? It's no big loss to me.

• Replies 176.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

pWe3fxk.png

lol

11 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Although i imagine that last part is just a bit of fanservice

game soon out on PC then i shall see. Although i heard Ys 9 is connected quite a bit to other games, more than the rest of the series

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And yet, no surprise b/c Castlevania timeline is mostly an afterthought, Soleil Belmont's Game Boy possession didn't result in the whip getting handed over. I don't think it's until Portrait of Ruin Of course, the non-first players are stuck not being able to do anything outside of battle. And who wants to be stuck with the mage or the healer? Casting spells isn't very fun.

In principle, I can see how it could be great if you had fellow players and both of you controlled physical fighters, maybe you could stunlock a boss with a precise alternation of arts. But in practice, how often has Tales been played multiplayer? It's no big loss to me.

This isnt true at all. Mages are fine when you consider another human player can actually protect them, much unlike the AI. 

I've played as Estelle in Vesperia, Milla in Xillia and Xillia 2, and Zelos/Kratos in Symphonia, and I've had 0 issues getting spells off. 

Human players can support eachother, which the AI cannot so as they usually stand in the way and simply hardly participate. 

For example: Flynn has a skill called S spell area, which makes any magic casted when close to him go off right away. Two players can make this crazy awesome, whereas AI cannot. Flynn also has a skill where he takes half an allies damage for them, also great with two players.

Yuri can give the whole team OVL lvl 3, which players can end a fight in a few seconds with.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And yet, no surprise b/c Castlevania timeline is mostly an afterthought, Soleil Belmont's Game Boy possession didn't result in the whip getting handed over. I don't think it's until Portrait of Ruin that they canonized Castlevania: Bloodlines, because at the time, Bloodlines -called "Vampire Killer" in Japan without Akumajo Dracula- was marketed as being separate from Castlevania.

Although, a difference is that Soleil possibly never used the Vampire Killer, while Richter had it during his possession. You could say that is what contaminated things.

It was considered a side-game, not its own thing altogether. I guess they wanted to go the obvious route and add the Dracula novel into Castlevania's continuity. To wit, it's telling that after Richter the Belmonts' time with the whip was practically over. After him it wasn't until Julius two centuries later, and then he himself is training a successor outside the family in that novel that takes place after Dawn of Sorrow, effectively ending the legacy of the Belmonts as vampire killers. Since Julius himself doesn't seem to have children or grandchildren.

Well, Julius has a younger sister who may have continued the bloodline, but her canonicity status is questionable.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

This isnt true at all. Mages are fine when you consider another human player can actually protect them, much unlike the AI. 

I've played as Estelle in Vesperia, Milla in Xillia and Xillia 2, and Zelos/Kratos in Symphonia, and I've had 0 issues getting spells off. 

Human players can support eachother, which the AI cannot so as they usually stand in the way and simply hardly participate. 

For example: Flynn has a skill called S spell area, which makes any magic casted when close to him go off right away. Two players can make this crazy awesome, whereas AI cannot. Flynn also has a skill where he takes half an allies damage for them, also great with two players.

Yuri can give the whole team OVL lvl 3, which players can end a fight in a few seconds with.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

As I said, in principle, it could be fun. But how often are you going to get 2-4 JRPG gamers together in the same room, and do it frequently enough that it'd last an entire time-devouring Tales game? 

It was considered a side-game, not its own thing altogether.

*Sees the Japanese name for the Castlevania Adventure games is Dracula Densetsu

I see what you mean. Darn it that English blurs the difference.

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But in practice, how often has Tales been played multiplayer? It's no big loss to me.

I don't think most people even realized if i'm gonna be completely honest.

Multiplayer never comes to mind when thinking about JRPGs. Unless it's an MMO, but MMOs are their own beast.

Reminds me of the SNES FF's that also let you play multiplayer if you plug a second controller. I know at least FFVI let you do that.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As I said, in principle, it could be fun. But how often are you going to get 2-4 JRPG gamers together in the same room, and do it frequently enough that it'd last an entire time-devouring Tales game? 

That doesn't mean its poorly designed, though. 

Multiplayer just adds another layer of options, which says they were willing to put the effort in. 

Reminds me of the SNES FF's that also let you play multiplayer if you plug a second controller. I know at least FFVI let you do that.

You can do this in V and IX as well.

1 hour ago, Robert Stewart said:

Hrm

So does getting Enid's promotion in Berwick rely entirely on getting lucky with her magic growth?

Well, not exactly.

Due to bracketing, she would be guaranteed her first magic point at level 11, her second at level 16 and her third at level 21.
Assuming she takes the magic potion, she would be guaranteed to have the required 5 points of magic at level 16.

Edited by BrightBow

43 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Not sure why you can even hire them. They are literally the last opponents before the boss.

Marlena absolutely destroys the boss, especially if you miss Theodel's PRF. In that case, she fucking ORKOs Adelaide. It's kinda nuts.

34 minutes ago, Benice said:

What'd I miss?

Has anyone started 0 yet?

Ruben finished Awakening, and his review was one page ago, page 2236. He spent most of the late mid game and entire late game soloing maps and cleared like a third of the game in an hour or two or something.

Panne.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Ruben finished Awakening, and his review was one page ago, page 2236. He spent most of the late mid game and entire late game soloing maps and cleared like a third of the game in an hour or two or something.

Panne.

Panne.