Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

40 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

That said, the Kevin that for me first comes to mind is Trials of Mana's Kevin.

Same, the awkward kid was my first ToM main character pick.

39 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

And the Kevin that comes to my mind first is the dude from FE9 who is commonly known by his other name, Kieran.
Yes, they changed him to Kevin for the German version. Who the heck knows why.

I thought I saw once something that stated that there was a fad in your country for giving children English names decades ago. Which in retrospect came to be regarded as a curse on those kids as they grew up, because the names were so weirdly not-German.

16 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Who can forget the Dreadlords One, Two, Three, Four... etc.

I think you might be able to argue it works for the Deadlords. They are "manufactured" from corpses/captured people, lacking individual identities, they are weapons, not people.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...And Gonzales. Gonzales is best boy, I've got to admit. Also, Garcia. But that's about it, as far as I can remember...

Isn't Iago the Spanish version of John? So you've a crappy Fates villain too.

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That's Juan.

I'm a Juan, incidentally.

Not a name yet used in FE... for better or worse.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

Not really. Iago isn't super rare, but it isn't that common.

That being said, yeah. That's another one for the pile. Though I believe Iago is a Shakespeare reference.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

That's Juan.

You just know they'd use it for a first chapter brigand.

19 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Presumably something better though.

Manuel(a) : "God is with us."

Miguel(a) : "Who's like God?"

It's debatable. Miguela is fucking weird name though. Here, if someone wants the feminine of Miguel, they use Michelle.

Edited by Maof06

Just now, Maof06 said:

It's debatable. Miguela is fucking weird name though. Here, if someone wants the feminine of Miguel, they use Michelle. Thank God I was born a guy.

Never underestimate Spanish to just tuck A at the end of words to make/mark them feminine.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

That's Juan.

*Doublechecks*

Oh, it's James/Jacob, wasn't sure which "J" name it was.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That being said, yeah. That's another one for the pile. Though I believe Iago is a Shakespeare reference.

Masked Staff Savant Sorcerer's Japanese name is Macbeth, so he is doubly Shakespearean.

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Still, a good point. And not just in FE.

I think Japan just isn't too fond of Spain. I mean, did you know that Don Flamenco, the Spanish rep in Punch Out, is the only character that has an infinite combo? The man can be beaten faster than Glass Joe, it's so embarrassing. You can call it a coincidence, but that's way too many coincidences, when you count all the brigands with Spanish names...

Oh, it's James/Jacob, wasn't sure which "J" name it was.

Definitely James, considering Jacobo is a thing.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

I think Japan just isn't too fond of Spain.

Let's see...

Spanish and Portuguese missionaries tried to Catholicize Japan.

Many Japanese who fled the Tokugawa Shogunate took residency in Spain.

I wonder why...

Let's see...

I wonder why...

Yes, I can see why they wouldn't be too happy with my country... Sheesh.

Fire Emblem has just been Japan playing out their nationalist fantasies this whole time. What do ya know?

8 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

It's debatable. Miguela is fucking weird name though. Here, if someone wants the feminine of Miguel, they use Michelle.

I heard that Manuela is sexual slang in some Latin American countries and so they changed it because of that.

Edited by Sooks

There were likely other factors involved in that, but still.

The Dutch took advantage and managed to be the only power that could trade with Japan during their isolation precisely because they promised not to try to proselyte them.

Just now, Sooks said:

I heard that Manuela is sexual slang in some Latin American countries and so they changed it because of that.

And that's why I think it's ridiculous.

52 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...What's with European localizations and changing people's names to the most hilariously common names in existence? What's next, an armor knight called Joe?

You mean like when NoA changed the name of the mysterious hermit from the desert to "Stefan"?

Anyway, it was Kevin in the Japanese version. Same with Stella, Elite and the Sehnsucht.
Now how come they reverted some names back to the Japanese ones when they were clearly adapting the NoA translation, I have no idea. But it at least means that the original source material was involved in some way, so the quality likely benefitted from it.

The German translation of PoR also has Bronze weapons, as well as the Thunder Sword. Which seemed really random to me at the time, since it's obviously was using Wind. But it became a lot more interesting once I learned that the Thunder Sword was THE magic sword of Fire Emblem. So this might not be such a random decision.

I most certainly would like to know more about the localization process of the German version.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

I think Japan just isn't too fond of Spain. I mean, did you know that Don Flamenco, the Spanish rep in Punch OUt, is the only character that has an infinite combo? The man can be beaten faster than Glass Joe, it's so embarrassing.

Kaga did say that Kingdom of Thracia is based Spain. Not sure whether it is a good thing or not, because it does gets some favoritism, but at the same time it's absolutely barren and unfit for human life.

Sylvando from Dragon Quest XI is also the best written character in the game if you ask me. Flamboyant, but not a total stereotype, he actually has a touch of good development and is well-rounded overall.

I think it's the Spanish who ruined the delicate missionary efforts the Portuguese began. The Portuguese priests stuck to converting the samurai class, going for a top-down approach. The Spanish tried converting the peasants first, which made Christianity suspect, because peasants were treated horribly by Sengoku warlords if they showed the slightest sign of resistance. The change from Nobunaga to Hideyoshi and Ieyasu were factors beyond Catholicism's control too.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

And that's why I think it's ridiculous.

Oh. Ridiculous like they shouldn’t have changed it?

Just now, BrightBow said:

You mean like when NoA changed the name of the mysterious hermit from the desert to "Stefan"?

What was he originally?

...Soanvalcke. Yeah, definitely sounds more... hermit-ish.

Kaga did say that Kingdom of Thracia is based Spain.

...actually? That makes a ton of sense. Oh yeah, a ton of sense indeed. Also, that's super cool.

Not sure whether it is a good thing or not, because it does gets some favoritism, but at the same time it's absolutely barren and unfit for human life.

I mean, have you seen the amount of desert scenes in movies that were actually recorded in Almeria? Southern Spain actually does kinda look like South Thracia.

57 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Mist is German for 'crap'

It's "manure". Technically that's still crap, of course. But more a specific kind of crap.

Unless we are talking about the curse, which in terms of intensity would probably be the equivalent of something "dang", "drad" or whatever.
Most certainly not the same intensity as a good old Scheißdreck.

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

More importantly, it emphasizes his connection as a descendant of Soan. Also known as Altina's mount.
fe10-asheras-three-heroes.png

Poor Soan just doesn't play much of a role.
That being said... if Sothe dies in PoR, he merely retreats. Probably because he was to play an important role in Radiant Dawn. But the same is actually true for Stefan. So maybe he was actually meant to play a bigger role, just like Sothe.
Though his conversation with Yune is most certainly memorable either way.

Edited by BrightBow

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I think it's the Spanish who ruined the delicate missionary efforts the Portuguese began. The Portuguese priests stuck to converting the samurai class, going for a top-down approach. The Spanish tried converting the peasants first, which made Christianity suspect, because peasants were treated horribly by Sengoku warlords if they showed the slightest sign of resistance. The change from Nobunaga to Hideyoshi and Ieyasu were factors beyond Catholicism's control too.

Maybe, but it's more like some liked it that it was a full package with gunpowder, cannons, and stuff. Once they began producing their own, it also weakened Western influence in the area.

True. If Christianity could even gain a foothold at all was thanks to Nobunaga. And that they began at Kyushu, who was far away enough at the time. If Nobunaga wasn't at war with the Ikko-Ikki and other Buddhist Warrior Monk sects, things might've been different. It's also telling that they didn't forgot that, so Christianity got even more ire afterwards.

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...actually? That makes a ton of sense. Oh yeah, a ton of sense indeed. Also, that's super cool.

This old interview:

https://garmtranslations.wordpress.com/2019/02/13/fire-emblem-genealogy-of-the-holy-war-fan-special-roundtable-discussion/

Heuga: You do get the feeling that the outfits worn within each country have some unifying elements to them.

Kaga’s comment: I did take that into consideration.
Grannvale was based on Germany, Agustria on France, Thracia on Romance countries like Spain, and Silesse on Scandinavian countries like Sweden. Isaach was based on Central Asia, while Verdane was based on barbarian nations, such as Persia².
Thracia was modeled after Spain, while Leonster, in the north, was modeled after Italy. That’s why Leonster appears more highly-civilised and polished in comparison.

How is Spain less civilized than Italy Kaga? Renaissance Italy preceded Golden Age Spain, and later Spain owned a slew of Italian possessions. It should be the other way around, although Italianate culture was more widespread in Europe for centuries than Spanish culture ever was.

The 2 footnote says Kaga might be referring to how the Greeks saw Persia during the Greco-Persian wars. Actual Persia (modern Iran) was far from barbaric.

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, have you seen the amount of desert scenes in movies that were actually recorded in Almeria? Southern Spain actually does kinda look like South Thracia.

I have not. Though I did read something that said the fabled La Mancha of the Novel Which Needs No Introduction is a wasteland, the most unlikely of all places in Iberia to ever produce a single knight of any renown- which is intentional as a form of satire.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

All this German talk has me remembering a joke from CrossCode. 

2021011920065500-AD0B3B2F03800567E0E43C7

2021011920070700-AD0B3B2F03800567E0E43C7

2021011920071500-AD0B3B2F03800567E0E43C7

She doesn't get it because she's French and he's German.

I mean, i didn't get it either until i looked it up. In hindsight, it was obvious.

35 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

They do seem fond of it, it's true!

And if we want to take it to the next level, the subtitles of the Xenosaga games are all directly taken from Nietzsche's philosophical concepts and books.

24 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

Miguela is fucking weird name though.

Makes more sense in Spanish speaking countries.

We straight up have Spanish versions of English names as shown with the aforementioned John -> Juan. Another famous example is Mary -> Maria although i do feel like the name Maria has become it's own thing as opposed to just the Spanish version of Mary.

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'm sorry, i ain't even pronouncing that. Stefan it is.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Jeez all the new quartz here are so expensive. Are we sure this is a game that doesn’t encourage grinding?

You can turn quartz into money.

But this is kinda discouraged in the series until the Crossbell games doubled the exchange rate and then Cold Steel made a whole separate category for sepith that can be turned into money.