Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

This old interview:

https://garmtranslations.wordpress.com/2019/02/13/fire-emblem-genealogy-of-the-holy-war-fan-special-roundtable-discussion/

Heuga: You do get the feeling that the outfits worn within each country have some unifying elements to them.

Kaga’s comment: I did take that into consideration.
Grannvale was based on Germany, Agustria on France, Thracia on Romance countries like Spain, and Silesse on Scandinavian countries like Sweden. Isaach was based on Central Asia, while Verdane was based on barbarian nations, such as Persia².
Thracia was modeled after Spain, while Leonster, in the north, was modeled after Italy. That’s why Leonster appears more highly-civilised and polished in comparison.

...Okay, that's less cool.

But, eh. We get to claim Travant and Hannibal. I'd say we still come out on top.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

This old interview:

https://garmtranslations.wordpress.com/2019/02/13/fire-emblem-genealogy-of-the-holy-war-fan-special-roundtable-discussion/

Heuga: You do get the feeling that the outfits worn within each country have some unifying elements to them.

Kaga’s comment: I did take that into consideration.
Grannvale was based on Germany, Agustria on France, Thracia on Romance countries like Spain, and Silesse on Scandinavian countries like Sweden. Isaach was based on Central Asia, while Verdane was based on barbarian nations, such as Persia².
Thracia was modeled after Spain, while Leonster, in the north, was modeled after Italy. That’s why Leonster appears more highly-civilised and polished in comparison.

Lenster is based on Italy? Yet it still has the Lanzenritter.

And of course there are the Schwarze Rosen.

Also, the names of the replacement units in Shadow Dragon were simply German words too. Starting with Eins, Zwei, Drei...etc. You know, like the Dark Warlords.

So the German localization simply translated them into Japanese, at least as far as I could tell. So it starts with Ichi, Ni, San... etc.

Edited by BrightBow

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

@Saint Rubenio screw Schera, I have found a new character who you will love HzQgfwU.jpg

This generic lackey who will probably never be seen again!

Oh God the heart symbol.

Rais, more like Right. Right about everything.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh God the heart symbol.

Rais, more like Right. Right about everything.

I have successfully converted Ruben to Trails.

Just played Cold Steel 3 demo. I didn't really understand the combat system, but it looked cool at first.

More importantly, I finally found out who's the character in Eclipse's pfp.

Still, I think the single weirdest thing about the German localizations is that they decided to get creative with the promoted class names of Eliwood, Hector and Lyn in what was otherwise clearly a very straight translation of the English script.

Eliwood is Edelman (Noble Man) and Hector is Herrscher (Ruler).
As for Lyn, her case is really weird. She became Meister. Which would be Master but... it's the masculine form. And keep in mind, the German translation genders ALL the class names. Bogenschützin, Rittmeisterin, etc... So that a class that is exclusive to a specific female character is using the masculine form is... strange.

On a side note, Rittmeister is most certainly a cooler and less overused title then Paladin.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

what did our boy do now?

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

What?

Spoiler

The butler of Duke Dunan took out a sizeable amount of money and was like “please, let us have the penthouse” and Joshua said yEs BuT yOu CaN kEeP tHe MoNeY.

Joshua plz 

7 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Lyn was a boy all along

Now I could of course theorize that they weren't aware that the class was for a female character. Since unlike other classes, there is no second version of it. And of course her previous class "Lord" is also masculine.
...that being said, considering this is the part where they decided to go beyond doing a paint by numbers English to German translation, I would have guessed that they understood the context in which those particular text strings are actually used in-game.

Edited by BrightBow

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:
Spoiler

The butler of Duke Dunan took out a sizeable amount of money and was like “please, let us have the penthouse” and Joshua said yEs BuT yOu CaN kEeP tHe MoNeY.

Joshua plz 

Spoiler

That's my boi.