Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Know something ironic? I recently took to playing through Super Nintendo games I could knock over in a couple hours. For some reason my list of 22 games I've played through included Battletoads in Battlemanics (didn't seem like such a bad idea after Contra III and Super Ghouls and Ghosts). My thumb now has a callous from operating the d-pad on the turbo tunnel and the tracktors.

• Replies 176.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Know something ironic? I recently took to playing through Super Nintendo games I could knock over in a couple hours. For some reason my list of 22 games I've played through included Battletoads in Battlemanics (didn't seem like such a bad idea after Contra III and Super Ghouls and Ghosts). My thumb now has a callous from operating the d-pad on the turbo tunnel and the tracktors.

At least it's not Mario Party 1. That one just straight up gave people carpal tunnel.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

At least it's not Mario Party 1. That one just straight up gave people carpal tunnel.

True, I also have memories of that nightmarish rotation of control sticks. Still what was supposed to be a couple hours ended up being three days of practice to scrape out a win. The sad thing is by the end I could do the first half of the game on one life, only to have a stack of deaths in the Dark Queens "snake pit". Her terminology. Not mine. Rare knew what they were doing.

15 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

True, I also have memories of that nightmarish rotation of control sticks. Still what was supposed to be a couple hours ended up being three days of practice to scrape out a win. The sad thing is by the end I could do the first half of the game on one life, only to have a stack of deaths in the Dark Queens "snake pit". Her terminology. Not mine. Rare knew what they were doing.

24 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Fun fact, Nintendo would be threatened with a lawsuit over the damage those Mario Party rotating control stick minigames did to peoples palm, and were pressured into a settlement requiring them to offer protective gloves to any customer with the game that requested them.

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

He isn't bad right now, I get his age and naive sense of loyalty throwing him out of these unusual times, and it is getting a laugh out of me. It's for his own sake I want to see him move past it. And you imply he'll be getting that, which is good.

The way i read it that's a big part of why his character growth is on the better end of FFIX. Not saying it's amazing or perfect at all, just good enough for what they where going for.

He decides to "man up" per se. I won't spoil any of it of course, but hopefully it proves itself to you at least.

2 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Fun fact, Nintendo would be threatened with a lawsuit over the damage those Mario Party rotating control stick minigames did to peoples palm, and were pressured into a settlement requiring them to offer protective gloves to any customer with the game that requested them.

That an a recommended way to do so was to spin the stick with your palm. I'm kinda relieved I never got an N64 and thus avoided this.

Truly the 90s were a different time.

3 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

The question is why did people use their palms? i use my thumb and can complete Tug O war, Cast aways, and Pedal Power just fine. (i think those are all the control stick spinning games?)

7 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

The question is why did people use their palms? i use my thumb and can complete Tug O war, Cast aways, and Pedal Power just fine. (i think those are all the control stick spinning games?)

As someone that did so, it was because it was a lot faster, and you might need that against a human, and  Pedal Power has some tight timing without it. Plus doing it the thumb way could easily get you blisters anyway...the N64 thumb stick was a cruel creation.

29 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

As someone that did so, it was because it was a lot faster, and you might need that against a human, and  Pedal Power has some tight timing without it. Plus doing it the thumb way could easily get you blisters anyway...the N64 thumb stick was a cruel creation.

Really? I never felt that way. Huh, I mean sure stretching your thumbs after a while can be a slight pain, but in my case, it's almost always like that with a controller.

My fingers can barely reach all the buttons on the PS4 controller comfortably. Same goes for a Switch pro controller, they are just uncomfortable for me, as i have tiny hands and fingers. XD

2 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

My thumb now has a callous from operating the d-pad on the turbo tunnel and the tracktors.

I decided to watch an LP of the infamous Battletoads once.

First, where are the guns shown on the game's cover? All I saw was a boring stick being swung around. Second, I looked forward that most supremely nefarious segment, it didn't seem so bad at first, but it kept going on, and on, and on, and definitely didn't give you enough time to react to what lay ahead.

I offer you my praise for completing that.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

That an a recommended way to do so was to spin the stick with your palm. I'm kinda relieved I never got an N64 and thus avoided this.

Truly the 90s were a different time.

I had a 64, but the sole MP I had for it was Mario Party 3, which I think might be regarded by some as the greatest game in the entire franchise. My cursed games were Superman 64 and Quest 64.

Nintendo needs to bundle and port the oldest of these, leaving out DS, 3DS, and whichever demand the Wii Remote. -Except then there would be no reason to buy the latest MP ever again.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Ya know

the more i think about it, the more i can't bring it in me to accept the A ending lmao.

Like yeah between A and C, A ending is better and makes the most sense. 

But when you get to Asgard's Gates and see the whole experiment stuff and get a whiff of what they are doing, and you realise in A ending you get a ''Scepter of Wisdom'' from them...

I just think Yggdra has one more Massacre in her xD

You also hear this sick battle theme only during D ending.

Edited by Shrimperor

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Nintendo needs to bundle and port the oldest of these, leaving out DS, 3DS, and whichever demand the Wii Remote. -Except then there would be no reason to buy the latest MP ever again.

Or bring the stronger elements of each into said next MP game alongside newer minigames/maps to justify it being a new title intentionally calling back to prior titles. 25th anniversary maybe?

20 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

*Picks the A Ending*

*In the Throne Room of the Borderless World*

Chancellor Vizier von Magistrate- "Your Majesty Empress Queen Duchess Marchioness Countess Viscountess Baroness Lady La Pucelle the housing crisis across your realm is growing by the day! Have you seen the streets outside your palace recently? The homeless population is surging."

Yggdra- "I shall see the problem addressed at once! But do tell me Vizier my Chancellor, what are the causes behind the homelessness?"

Chancellor Vizier- "Poverty is the root cause Your Majesty. The sources of which are socioeconomic inequalities, the minimum wage is too low in certain regions, causing the manufacturers to relocate there to maximize their profit margins and leave other places bereft of jobs. Cities have ceased to be livable for the masses as well, grand and inspiring architecture goes up, but the commoners can't afford it, yet the landlords of the expensive apartment continue to own though empty, waiting for at last when a rich person will purchase one as a status symbol, though they visit the particular city but one month a year. We also need to talk about mental health, nobody in this great country thinks they can speak of it in the open without humiliation. We need to a committee to investigate which communities have been affected by redlining... Your Majesty are you listening?"

Yggdra- "Yes Chancellor MacQuaestor!! Continue on!"

Chancellor Vizier- "MacQuaestor?! MacQuaestor is the Treasurer, Your Majesty. But to get back to discrimination... Your Majesty?"

Yggdra- *Clenches the top of the Specter of Wisdom tightly* "I'm listening. Carry... on, von Praetor." *Hand clenching specter shakes* "This is so dull. I need to do something, anything."

Chancellor Vizier- "Your Majes-ahhhhhhh!" *Watches as the Specter of Wisdom is tossed through a stained glass window behind his behind.*

Yggdra- "Affordable housing is a calamity affecting the entire world you say General? Then fine!" *Draws ceremonial sword sheathed at her side and points it centimeters from the Chancellor's nose* "I myself once was without a house, 'twas not that long ago. I sympathize with my people's plight. Let them know that Princess Yggdra La Pucelle stands with them! I declare war on homeless!"

Chancellor Vizier- (Princess? Does she not realize what year it is? What is going on in her head? Maybe I should start planning a coup and use royal insanity as my cover story.) "My Empress, how do you intend to wage war on a state of human existence? Trickle-down economics cannot not be fought on a battlefield. -Huggghhh!" *Chokes*

Yggdra- *Grabbed Chancellor by the neck with her open hand* "Do you listen to yourself? Landlords and uncontrolled capitalists are largely to blame for homelessness you say? Then all I must I do is bring them to knell or to their graves, and then redistribute the property and wealth according. A world without poverty is a beautiful world, I shall bring it forth no matter the cost."

Chancellor Vizier- *Still choking* "But Y-Y-Yggdra, you, Universa-al Ruler, are the largest landowner on the globe." *Wheeze*

Yggdra- "Oh, I am? I wasn't aware of that. I know! I shall give what I can away to the poorest, and to the nobler of the thieves, they keenly understand the reallocation of wealth. But that will not be enough, to assure an end to homelessness forever more, I will have to wage my crusade against conspicuous consumption. Now where is where Milanor right now? I'll pay anything for his services again. *Lets go of the Chancellor as an afterthought* "And thank you my dearest Vizier!" *Turns around and without realizing it swings her jeweled sword across his neck, a little blood splatters on her dress. Then starts singing.* "...Form your Unions. Let's march let's march! Let a moneyed blood water our furrows!"☺️

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Your Majesty Empress Queen Duchess Marchioness Countess Viscountess Baroness Lady La Pucelle

Lmaaaaaaao xD

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Chancellor Vizier- "Poverty is the root cause Your Majesty. The sources of which are socioeconomic inequalities, the minimum wage is too low in certain regions, causing the manufacturers to relocate there to maximize their profit margins and leave other places bereft of jobs. Cities have ceased to be livable for the masses as well, grand and inspiring architecture goes up, but the commoners can't afford it, yet the landlords of the expensive apartment continue to own though empty, waiting for at last when a rich person will purchase one as a status symbol, though they visit the particular city but one month a year. We also need to talk about mental health, nobody in this great country thinks they can speak of it in the open without humiliation. We need to a committee to investigate which communities have been affected by redlining... Your Majesty are you listening?"

2irl4me

Especially since i was on apartment hunt myself not so long ago and only got one through connections...

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Yggdra- *Grabbed Chancellor by the neck with her open hand* "Do you listen to yourself? Landlords and uncontrolled capitalists are largely to blame for homelessness you say? Then all I must I do is bring them to knell or to their graves, and then redistribute the property and wealth according. A world without poverty is a beautiful world, I shall bring it forth no matter the cost."

After the war she should use Problems to solve Swords, not Swords to solve Problems XD

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Yggdra- "Oh, I am? I wasn't aware of that. I know! I shall give what I can away to the poorest, and to the nobler of the thieves, they keenly understand the reallocation of wealth. But that will not be enough, to assure an end to homelessness forever more, I will have to wage my crusade against conspicuous consumption. Now where is where Milanor right now? I'll pay anything for his services again. *Lets go of the Chancellor as an afterthought* "And thank you my dearest Vizier!" *Turns around and without realizing it swings her jeweled sword across his neck, a little blood splatters on her dress. Then starts singing.* "...Form your Unions. Let's march let's march! Let a moneyed blood water our furrows!"☺️

Tbf, the name of the game was just asking for a communist parody lmao

7 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

2irl4me

Especially since i was on apartment hunt myself not so long ago and only got one through connections...

My apologies!

I was trying to emphasize that some problems are beyond simple solutions. I had some awareness of what has led to the current American housing crisis, and so picked that.

Long story short- This is why FEs almost never show us what happens after peace is established. It's too complicated, boring, and would leave us the players wanting for another invasion or cult plot to spring up so we could see some action again. 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I had some awareness of what has led to the current American housing crisis, and so picked that

In Berlin it's so bad, enough signatures were collected for a  expropriation vote to take place

Edited by Shrimperor

I've reached the 15 hour mark in Atelier Sophie and i gotta say: while i don't agree with the assessment that this is the worst of the modern Atelier titles, i can understand why most Atelier fans feel this way towards the game. The big thing i'm noticing is that Atelier Sophie has the weakest cast out of all the titles i've played. Atelier Totori and Atelier Shallie similarly had weak casts but those games were sequels and had the privilege of being able to fall back on returning characters (seriously, Shallie before the returning characters are introduced vs after the returning characters are introduced is like night and day). Sophie, being the first in it's sub-series, lacks that privilege so the characters i'm seeing are what i'm gonna get.

And depending on how things go, this could negatively impact Atelier Firis and Atelier Lydie & Sulle. If those games end up having weak casts as well, the returning characters won't really help.

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Element: Light or Ice (it's their fundamental nature vs. their ultimate Special Attack's element). Light might be oversaturated with the DLC characters, but it does make weaving in Guillo's full arsenal easier, add you have to do is add some sparkles of light.

I have a better idea: give Guillo Poppiswap-lite. You won't be able to change his Battle Skills and Blade Arts and the secondary effects of his Specials but what you can do is change his element. Going by your concept, if Guillo's specials are all gonna be different elements, making his Blade element just one won't be enough.

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Blade Heart-to-Heart:

• Not sure what to do for the topic. Perhaps a "What is Guillo?" because of how eccentric they are. But that feels like I'm lingering excessively on Guillo's mystique. Something not about anything related to Guillo itself would be better.
  • No matter what the topic is, I want Mythra to show up. Her Torna self was confrontational, and while her maingame personality has matured past that, I'd like it to resurface here for one minute. Milly was "Shelter Girl" because Guillo joked she had been raised in a bomb shelter, Shining Arrows makes for explosions raining from above- Mythra is "Bomber Girl".

If Mythra is to show up no matter what, perhaps a conversation between the two could be reminiscent of that and Guillo and Milly's actual relationship. We could see a return of "the half-wit's witless half" haha.

The only problem is that this would fit more with Mythra's Torna personality rather than her main game personality.

3 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Ya know

the more i think about it, the more i can't bring it in me to accept the A ending lmao.

Like yeah between A and C, A ending is better and makes the most sense. 

But when you get to Asgard's Gates and see the whole experiment stuff and get a whiff of what they are doing, and you realise in A ending you get a ''Scepter of Wisdom'' from them...

A shame A ending is the canon one, heh.

That or accept that Yggdra fails, since the 7 Magi are still around in Riviera, which is chronologically after. Or just ignore Riviera altogether. XD

Me I wonder what'll happen to Grant, he hasn't shown up yet.

Netflix Castlevania: Here's your answer

So yeah, I watched the final season. Let's spoil all of it! (EVERYTHING INSIDE'S SEASON 4. SKIP UNLESS YOU'VE SEEN IT/DON'T CARE)

Spoiler

First off, before I continue, I just want to confirm that there is a DeNasty, just that they made then Greta. I just wanted to go with a fuck you Grant there.

A part of me is a bit down on the fact that everything around the forgemasters gets cordoned off from the main plot and disappears halfway through with a tiny piece in the finale, the fallout for Targoviste is never fully resolved (with the protags leaving right by the end after the royals were caught dead and the one named character there supporting them died), Styria never got enough of a place set for their ending (like underutilisation of Morana and Striga and how they just walk out of the show isn't a bad idea in and of itself but they should have had a bit more time up to it or how Hector's own planning advances quite quickly)..

As for the finale (an epilogue episode if there ever was one, with the animation budget to match), it somewhat drags and gives us multiple characters being alive who probably shouldn't be (Trevor, Drac and Lisa all turn out to live), Issac literally doesn't show up while Lenore and Hector just have a brief scene that could have been put anywhere after Episode 6, as well as giving Alucard a partner (no matter how implied) at the end with little to no buildup. I also do not like Varny. Like, at all. Fuck Varny. Also, St. Germain came back and then pretty ended up in the shit when he said, I quote "God is now standing right in front of you. And soon, very, very, soon... he's going to have sex again.". Rest in noise.

Another part of me does appreciate the return of Targoviste, the resolution of the main trio's arcs, Issac's and arguably St. Germain's, the fight scenes still have a good choreographic flow (Just.... just watch the Berserk reference fight, even a partial piece here) and enough going on throughout, the arc around the town of DeNasty and having to bring them to "safety", which plays into the plan of the finale actually worked for me, Ratko was cool and I wish he'd gotten more time to shine, the Underground was actually pretty nice in showing how they were unprepared for an actual conflict and how much the poor preparation risked the people's lives when Ratko and Varny broke in, just some examples. Ultimately the final season didn't work out, but hey it's not bad, I just see what I felt it missed. To be honest I feel there was more material with this show, for a season worth? Maybe.

Edited by Dayni

So i finished Trails the 3rd, and it was as amazing as the other 2 ofc!

Anyway, thought id give my thoughts as to which characters i thought were good and bad, tier wise. Feel free to agree/disagree, i am a rookie after all!

Spoiler

There won't be an S tier as i don't believe there are any totally dominant characters in this game.

A tier

Joshua - Amazing DPS/Crafts, being forced to use time quartz isn't really a bad thing. AT delay is a game changer, Dual Strike is bonkers, Evil Eye is busted, you really can't go wrong with his crafts. And his S-Crafts are decent i'd say.

Kevin - I underestimated Kevin at first... that was a mistake. He can kinda mold his role to what you need, which is great. His ATS is pretty good overall, his weapons are very good. His crafts are also very good, not sure if they're on Joshua's level but still pretty good. The superstar of his crafts is the one that gives CP to any ally in range. I can't say how many times this saved me! His S Crafts are great, and Grail Sphere is downright busted.

Kloe - Her damage output is among the highest. She has great flexibility with her spell list, and can back that up well. Her crafts are great, lowering STR and DEF is a lifesaver and Impede can be used in a pinch when needed. Both of her S Crafts are amazing imo. Her weapons are also very above average. Wouldn't have won 80% of the fights without her.

Richard - His crafts... lol. They are broken. All of em. He doesn't need much else to function, really. His ATS is alright when enemies resist physical damage, though. S craft isn't impressive as his crafts give free turns and thus you should be spending it there.

B Tier

Estelle - I would put her in top but she kinda falls short of having something that REALLY stood out. Her stats are all around good enough to fulfill the "jack of all trades" role. Her Crafts are amazing, which is why i was considering top. Her S crafts are great for the HP absorbing effect which can help her take a few extra hits. Her quartz flexibility is amazing. Sadly, she can't compete with Joshua and Richard in Physical, or Kloe in magic hence her being here instead.

Schera - AT Advance... that is all. Jokes aside, her ATS is pretty good and her above average range stops the annoying explosion effect from screwing her. Decent enough flexibility in quartz, although i feel like the wind ones are lacking a bit, and lowering her good ATS doesn't support her character. As for crafts... well just stick with AT Advance. S crafts... see the former.

Renne - Her offence is amazing, and the ability to flat out kill anything makes leveling/grinding easier by alot. Pretty good ATS/ amazing quartz flexibility. Her few crafts she has are strong, and Blood Circle in specific is amazing as it allows proper positioning for strategy. S craft can wipe the field of mobs easily.

Anelace - God i'm glad i gave her a chance. The weapon she gets from her door is too good to pass on! Her arts capabilities aren't great, but she doesn't need em. Her crafts are great! The suction ability can allow for comboes with magic, and help get the enemy away from fragile teammates. she can AT delay, and dish out a ton of damage. her S craft kinda stinks, though.

Ries - She has alot of the good tools to be great. She can do alot of things... but for an offence unit, her crafts aren't amazing. Her selling point is her 50% hp healing/revival/CP heal. She doesn't need to get close like Shera and deals alot of damage though. Meh S craft i think though.

C tier - 

Agate - His offence is one of the best... at base. He has issues going turns and hitting a bit. But when he does... watch out. ATS is a waste of his turn, he hardly deals damage... ever. His crafts... now this is where he shines. First Wild Rage is amazing. At base it seems risky but pair it with Earth Guard/Grail Sphere and you get 150 CP for free. His Flare Edge knocks enemies away which is fantastic for team support. His AT delay skill is decent. His impede skill is really good, though. His S crafts are amazing as well.

Tita - Her range is really really nice to have. She builds CP like no one else. Sadly... Her stats aren't great. Her HP leaves much to be desired... and her ATS is meh. Her defence game isn't great. Her Crafts are great. Status and HP heal? Yes please! Pretty good S crafts.

Zin - If not for his distend ability this guy wouldn't be here. his crafts as a general are pretty handy. But if you are fighting enemies that resist physical damage... he isn't too helpful. His S crafts are kinda a poor use of his CP imo. 

Olivier - He doesn't stand out as an arts user like Kloe, but has a bit more bulk. Sadly i find the offence much more useful, and his weapons don't support what he's good at like Kloe's. His Crafts are alright, not impressive. Good Quartz setup though! S crafts are okay. All in all, go with Kloe imo.

Julia - Her offence on both ends is below par, which hurts a bit. Her defensive game HOWEVER, that is amazing! Able to block two attacks and get a free turn? Hell yeah! Boost allies STR and SPD? not bad! Sadly the spd is only 10% which stinks. Other than that, she doesn't really stand out too much.

Vander - He was alright, i guess. His crafts are decent, his STR is great, allowing for high damage, but Agate is better suited imo. Quartz slots aren't preffered either.

D tier

Josette - Her overall gameplay is kinda lacking. Her Offence isn't great, her ATS isn't amazing... at all. Her crafts are alright, 100% Faint is decent. The DEF -30% would be good... had Kloe not had the same thing with 20% str attached. Other than that, she's just meh. Her S craft gets decent... at the end of the game!