Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Just completed Nina's paralogue. I decided to go for her because, on a second check, I realized I actually didn't have room for another unit in chapter 14. Sophie had just been pushed out of sight after all the paraloguing and I forgot about her lol. So I opted to grab Nina, reclass her to mage or diviner (not sure which yet) and replace Nyx, because Nyx has grown horrendously.

The western side was a piece of cake. Daniela and Nichol went on a mission alongside Ingrid and Niles to get the shining bow before the thief could cut the corner. Thanks to Savage Blow and Nichol's +1 move, Daniela was able to just barely kill him before being stopped by the knights and fighters. Then they turned around and just left, as fast as they came. Easy. Daniela even nabbed some 12 experience from a Nichol heal. I still don't get why that happens...

...The other side though, hoo boy that was hell. That was too close. The mage + outlaw pairs were absolutely brutal, and my units weren't up to par. Even general Arthur was no good, because the shining bows doubled him for massive damage. At two different points I considered letting Nyx die - once, I made a mistake and left her in range of ranged enemies. Thankfully, I remembered just in time Haitaka had Swap. What would I do without that man.

Then, I considered sacrificing her to distract the last remaining mage/outlaw pair, because they one-rounded half the army. Ended up figuring out a strat that didn't require her sacrifice, and she went into the safety of Haitaka's pocket after swapping him out of his javelin. Then I had Esmeralda swap Sophie out of Peri's lance. This made sure everyone was safe... except for Effie, who was standing right at the front with a javelin and a guard stance. Thankfully, she landed it and killed the outlaw before he could double her, saving herself and the run.

I even had to use a freeze charge to reach the money thief. I don't know if it was worth it, but... Money's just too good in this game. That's my first freeze staff gone, actually. I know, I know, you must save every single staff in the game for the lategame, but... Look, I don't want to be resetting every map for a friggin' staff.

37 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Chapter 7 was very… okay. I had to burn three uses of the rescue staff to get the thieves I wanted, I hope I don’t need those later.

Ehhhhh there is one situation where you'll need a use.

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I’ve ignored every cave except the one in the last map because a person in a random house said a fire dragon lived there, so I sent Roderick close to it and one spawned and one rounded him that same turn. Then I loaded a save state and forgot about it.

For what it's worth, it's possible to spawn the dragon without actually getting in his range.

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

So, the caves always have something good then?

Could be. Without spoiling you, there's also an Arms Scroll and Talisman in future caves. And that's it, actually. Only four caves with items.

---

OMG, OMG

https://github.com/voiddp/AE_quest_collabo_chrono_cross

An Another Eden collaboration with Chrono Cross!?

AHHHHHHHHHH

10 Consejos de moda que necesitas seguir y te serán muy útiles si estás  gordito - Tv y Farandula

I…don’t even know what year…I’m in anymore…*Wraith takes a long swig from his half empty whisky bottle*

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

https://github.com/voiddp/AE_quest_collabo_chrono_cross

*The whisky bottle falls from Wraith’s limp fingers, shattering on the floor*

22 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

Jagen's missing his right eye in the thumbnail. Abel's missing his left too. Now that I've noticed, I can't unsee it.

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Considering the rumors of a Chrono Cross remaster coming next month, I wonder if this will also be a tie-in.

So Excited Atlantis GIF - So Excited Atlantis Excited - Descubre & Comparte  GIFs

I don't know much about Chrono Cross. Just that people consider it worse than Chrono Trigger, and apparently there's a lot of playable characters? But I'm not so sure about that last thing.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

I don't know much about Chrono Cross. Just that people consider it worse than Chrono Trigger, and apparently there's a lot of playable characters? But I'm not so sure about that last thing.

Oh, yes, Cross has around 45 playable characters. Originally this wasn't planned that way, but then they decided to have a large cast for an RPG.

18 minutes ago, WraithReborn said:

*The whisky bottle falls from Wraith’s limp fingers, shattering on the floor*

I knew I heard Lacrimosa playing for some reason!

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The latter's definitely true. Didn't get all that far into it myself though, so I reserve judgement. But it wouldn't be hard for it to be worse considering imo CT's the best JRPG of it's era.

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh, yes, Cross has around 45 playable characters. Originally this wasn't planned that way, but then they decided to have a large cast for an RPG.

Well, you know what that means, we need an FE hack with the CC cast.

Edited by Dayni

19 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

AHHHHHHHHHH

Relish the nostalgia blast, may the writing around it be good.

Enjoy you coming fight with... Lynx? FATE? The Dragon God? Time Devourer? -Not sure which they'll be picking

12 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Considering the rumors of a Chrono Cross remaster coming next month, I wonder if this will also be a tie-in.

Square has been porting some of its old niche stuff recently. And this has included Saga Frontier 1 and Legend of Mana- both PS1 titles. So I can see CC as being part of this continued effort.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I don't know much about Chrono Cross. Just that people consider it worse than Chrono Trigger

Whilst I don't mean to bash those who enjoy it, I can say that in my case, it CC was less than CT. Felt a little directionless, lifeless, and the experimental battle system didn't exactly stick the landing.

Nonetheless, some of the criticism is not so fair, namely the "This isn't Chrono Trigger 2!!!!!!!!!!" whining. CC needs to be appreciated, somewhat at least, on its own terms.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

and apparently there's a lot of playable characters?

Including:

• Some duck-turnip humanoid thing
  • A purely plant sentient creature
  • An alien with a space helmet
  • A fairy
  • A dog
  • A newly hatched dragon
  • A skeleton jester
  • An exorcist luchador
  • A cool-looking old lady priestess
  • An old man with a cane
  • A shapeshifter who lives between dimensions
  • A man who suddenly gets infected with mushroom spores and becomes a Funguy
  • A voodoo doll
  • A rabbit girl
  • A hippie-dressed doctor
  • An entertainer whose appearance is kinda rockstar-ish, in a glamorous but not effeminate way.
  • A cyborg ninja
  • A lame wannabe hero with a French accent
  • The somehow-ended-up-in-time-warp mother (in child form) of the playable cavewoman of Chrono Trigger.
  • A magician who greatly resembles the antihero of Chrono Trigger.
  • Oh and this fisher beastman boy:

deba2dc5c5eb63d2b112ea5952244f44.jpg

The colored pencil-esque aesthetic of the game isn't bad on the whole -I like it actually- but here... not so much.

Look on the bright side, you can't accuse the game of consisting of the same-old pretty anime girls and boys with the token graybeard.

I'd just say, most of them are fine as character concepts. Just, not all needed to be actual playable characters. Then again, I'm a bit biased because the decision to have a large cast meant making a big change to the game. Mainly...

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

A magician who greatly resembles the antihero of Chrono Trigger.

This guy wouldn't just resemble the antihero. He was going to be the antihero. Basically like how it was in Radical Dreamers, it'd be the same in Chrono Cross. However, when they decided to add all the playable characters, they thought he'd eclipse them, thus he was cut. The character model was kept, and simply a new character was made to use it. Quite a bummer.

But then the DS port of Chrono Trigger adds an implication the two may be one and the same after all...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Just feel like linking this.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

A man who suddenly gets infected with mushroom spores and becomes a Funguy

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

An exorcist luchador

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The somehow-ended-up-in-time-warp mother (in child form) of the playable cavewoman of Chrono Trigger.

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

A hippie-dressed doctor

Man, CC is nuts.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

This theme has always felt so weird to me. It's great for the first like 15 seconds, and then it becomes awful until it loops back to that starting part.

We really do disagree on this huh? (Much as this cover's straight up worse imo)

Then again, I still rate RD's music below 3H, so maybe I'm not the first port of call on FE music.

1 minute ago, WraithReborn said:

The first thing I think looking at the name of the first track is "how capricious"

This obviously is me looking at the title, because yeah this is not how I'd describe the track.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

This guy wouldn't just resemble the antihero. He was going to be the antihero. Basically like how it was in Radical Dreamers, it'd be the same in Chrono Cross. However, when they decided to add all the playable characters, they thought he'd eclipse them, thus he was cut. The character model was kept, and simply a new character was made to use it. Quite a bummer.

Spoiler

RIP Janus

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

But then the DS port of Chrono Trigger adds an implication the two may be one and the same after all...

Spoiler

Was this in the post-game place?

I do not remember this for sure, payed years ago.

Hide contents

When you fight the bonus boss and unlock the new ending, actually. But yeah, it mostly seems to confirm in connecting the two characters after all.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I'd just say, most of them are fine as character concepts. Just, not all needed to be actual playable characters. Then again, I'm a bit biased because the decision to have a large cast meant making a big change to the game. Mainly...

True. Slashing the cast to, oh maybe 2 per elemental color, and making the rest into some kind of equipment could've been better.

This guy wouldn't just resemble the antihero. He was going to be antihero. Basically like how it was in Radical Dreamers, it'd be the same in Chrono Cross. However, when they decided to add all the playable characters, they thought he'd eclipse them, thus he was cut.

I'm aware of this, I wish Scyther had returned in full.

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

Yes. Complete the three interconnected vortexes, unlocked by finishing the Ocean Palace IIRC, the portals with actuals dungeons, as opposed to the two that are basically one big fetch quest.

Finishing all three of the vortexes, unlocks a new boss accessible from the End of Time, which gives the new ending.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

Yes. Complete the three interconnected vortexes, unlocked by finishing the Ocean Palace IIRC, the portals with actuals dungeons, as opposed to the two that are basically one big fetch quest.

Finishing all three of the vortexes, unlocks a new boss accessible from the End of Time, which gives the new ending.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

When you fight the bonus boss and unlock the new ending, actually. But yeah, it mostly seems to confirm in connecting the two characters after all.

I suspected, just wanting to confirm it was there.

(And of course you take a swing at the other new dungeon IO :P)

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

True. Slashing the cast to, oh maybe 2 per elemental color, and making the rest into some kind of equipment could've been better.

Equipment? This ain't Xenoblade! lol

But ultimately, they make El Nido a more lively place. Most have sidequests that would be fine staying, just giving some other reward than having the characters join. Others have story significance so it's fine to be just NPC tagalongs or at most, temporal party members. But yeah, a more smaller party would've been more ideal perhaps.

22 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Relish the nostalgia blast, may the writing around it be good.

Enjoy you coming fight with... Lynx? FATE? The Dragon God? Time Devourer? -Not sure which they'll be picking

Wraith’s highly educated and sophisticated response to this supposed announcement:

Ah, I love DeSmuME. It’s okay, it’s not like I needed to play the game anyway.

…This glitched version of Together We Ride actually sounds really cool, not gonna lie. Woah.

15 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Ah, I love DeSmuME. It’s okay, it’s not like I needed to play the game anyway.

…This glitched version of Together We Ride actually sounds really cool, not gonna lie. Woah.

Oof.

For the record, this is the version of Desmume that I've always used. It's old, but it allows upscaling, and for me at least, it has always worked like a charm. Maybe you could check it out, see what happens?