Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Chapter 8 is a really cool chapter concept.

Unfortunately, the enemies are too weak and the map is too small for it to really be pulled off effectively, since by the time reinforcements show up from the bottom and start moving towards you the player should be long gone. They had such an easy fix for this, Astram’s squad is right there, with a recruitable character the player would want to avoid fighting and dialogue that openly suggests that they’ll move! But instead they just… stand there! And the agency in this chapter pretty much evaporates, because your squad can be past the bridge when the reinforcements would get there. And if someone is gonna respond to this with the words “On higher difficulties”, maybe I should have picked maniac then.

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Haitaka, no!

Stop being epic! I want to drop you and use new units, but every run you are even better!

12 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

never had any troubles with desmume tbh

Neither have I. At least not the version I use. Until the day it craps itself and randomly stops saving like VBA, I'll keep using it.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Chapter 8 is a really cool chapter concept.

Unfortunately, the enemies are too weak and the map is too small for it to really be pulled off effectively, since by the time reinforcements show up from the bottom and start moving towards you the player should be long gone.

The time limit seems generous enough in hard.

That changes in the higher difficulties.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

They had such an easy fix for this, Astram’s squad is right there, with a recruitable character the player would want to avoid fighting and dialogue that openly suggests that they’ll move! But instead they just… stand there! And the agency in this chapter pretty much evaporates, because your squad can be past the bridge when the reinforcements would get there. And if someone is gonna respond to this with the words “On higher difficulties”, maybe I should have picked maniac then.

Maniac might've been too much for you.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That changes in the higher difficulties.

Maniac might've been too much for you.

Sounds preferable to every map being boring.

43 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Equipment? This ain't Xenoblade! lol

Actually, I was thinking something closer to SRWOGSEFE's Assist Characters, which looking at Armagon's screenshots from before seems as though it was carried over to and improved in PXZ with its Solo Units. One attack skill, one random chance passive (which it looks like PXZ turned into a second command instead), and a stat boost.

I liked the Assist Characters, since it let there be a pleasantly unusually large group of heroes actively participating in battles, without actually having more than four active fighters at once and a main cast limited to 10 units. And this in turn helped justify having so many people around chatting during dialogue moments, which is fundamentally SRW insofar as I've experienced it.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Sounds like Sooks is in the classic problem of "hard is too easy but higher difficulty would be too much".

10 minutes ago, Sooks said:

And if someone is gonna respond to this with the words “On higher difficulties”, maybe I should have picked maniac then.

I mean...this is one of my favorite maps sooo.

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

Well, I tried MelonDS. And encountered visual glitches in the first couple minutes, one of which affected the entire map so…

Starting to think DSFE does not want to be emulated.

For the record, the game i ran the trial on was Endless Frontier. Only issue i ran into was the audio and even then, it wasn't too bad.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Square has been porting some of its old niche stuff recently. And this has included Saga Frontier 1 and Legend of Mana- both PS1 titles. So I can see CC as being part of this continued effort

And as far as i know, Chrono Cross hasn't had any rerelases on modern platforms yet whereas Chrono Trigger is at least on PC.

The real surprise in this run is being Selena, though. That girl's getting some mad stats. I never would've expected it.

19 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Huh... My first time in New Mystery, hard seemed pretty fair. Though I suppose you are more experienced with the series than I was back then.

...Also, the save states.

16 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Sounds like Sooks is in the classic problem of "hard is too easy but higher difficulty would be too much".

Could be. NMotE difficulties have to be handled with care, because the jump is rather big.

16 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

I mean...this is one of my favorite maps sooo.

Mine, too. It's so intense in the higher difficulties.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

...Also, the save states.

I’ve barely needed them.

Although I used a lot of them in chapter 8, because Kris kept getting crits and stealing kills from other units! I just want to train more than just him!

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

It's so intense in the higher difficulties.

Pain.

I don’t feel like redoing everything though.

21 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Would it be too much though? The only argument I’ve heard for that is ambush spawns but, well, save states.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Huh... My first time in New Mystery, hard seemed pretty fair.

I'd say this, minus the *ambushed and chopped into carpaccio* stuff, that the same was true of the difficulty level. At times, with my mostly top-tiers team, it was on the easier side at certain points, but I don't think it ever became for any prolonged period a case of "mindlessly eradicate everything on the enemy phase* bad.

My only broken unit, or unit who is broken at this point in the game, is Kris.

...but Kris kind of counts as a whole team of broken units because he can one round literally everything, barely takes any damage and has a ton of HP, and thanks to promoting he now has 1-2 range.

Oh my God

OH MY GOD

I DIDN'T FORGET THAT KUMAGERA HAS COUNTERMAGIC

I ACTUALLY BEAT CHAPTER 14 IN ONE TRY

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH I'M SO HAPPY

Oh and Keaton is here. I guess I could hand him over to Camilla and get Velouria? I mean... I've never even seen Velouria. Maybe it's about time. Not that i have room for Velouria, the team's bursting at the seams as it is.

8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Would it be too much though? The only argument I’ve heard for that is ambush spawns but, well, save states.

I honestly would've thought so. The gap really is quite broad, but if you're really finding it so easy in hard difficulty...

40 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

The Camilla we get in Ch10 in Conquest is actually promoted at lvl10 (Her internal level is 15.)

Another dumb question, but could you explain the "internal level"? I never understood how it calculated EXP.

@Saint Rubenio did you ever have problems with the audio on DeSmuME? I downloaded the version you said works great and the audio is very glitchy, don’t know how to fix that but there are settings for it.

Oh and Keaton is here. I guess I could hand him over to Camilla and get Velouria? I mean... I've never even seen Velouria. Maybe it's about time. Not that i have room for Velouria, the team's bursting at the seams as it is.

Careful Ruben, Camilla!Velouria is the meta, and you wouldn’t want to do anything so boring 😛

I honestly would've thought so. The gap really is quite broad, but if you're really finding it so easy in hard difficulty...

I can try a couple prologue maps on it, I guess.

4 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Another dumb question, but could you explain the "internal level"? I never understood how it calculated EXP.

Internal level is the level that's used for exp calculations. 

Before Promotion all units level = internal level.

After promotion it depends on when they promote. Those who promote at lvl 10 will have an iternal level of 15 iirc, while those who promote at 20 will have lvl21 internal after promotion.

Edited by Father Shrimpas

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Starting to think DSFE does not want to be emulated.

That's just mean to ye, F.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

And as far as i know, Chrono Cross hasn't had any rerelases on modern platforms yet whereas Chrono Trigger is at least on PC.

I mean, technically you can play on 3DS but that's not modern now.

Might as well get the Guntermap out of the way too.

@Saint Rubenio did you ever have problems with the audio on DeSmuME? I downloaded the version you said works great and the audio is very glitchy, don’t know how to fix that but there are settings for it.

Ah yeah, I know what you mean. Change Synchronization mode to Synchronous and Synchronizer Method to "P" if they're not set to that already. And don't forget what I told you earlier about Soft Rasterizer if the graphics look all wrong.

Careful Ruben, Camilla!Velouria is the meta, and you wouldn’t want to do anything so boring 😛

I am almost 100% not using her.

I can try a couple prologue maps on it, I guess.

Give it a shot. I know it would hurt to reset the entire game, but if you're really not having a good time... Try it out, at least.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Give it a shot. I know it would hurt to reset the entire game, but if you're really not having a good time... Try it out, at least.

Well I guess in a reset, he can go for the treasures in the caves. The main part i think would be too much in maniac would be that one arc (chapter 15-20). That part gets pretty tough. Chapter 19 and 15 in particular are ones I have to really focus on no matter how many times I play. Then again, I guess you can say the same for most conquest maps. 

26 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Mine, too. It's so intense in the higher difficulties.

Such a well made chapter. I thibk it even does story integration well.  It has that escape map vibe, with the prepromotes, silver lance generals, and having to manage the bottom bridge while running to the top. Choke strats help, but can't be relied on fully since Astram gang. I feel like my unit positioning really matters. Of course, Bord hammer actually is kind of epic against them, now that he actually has growths.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah yeah, I know what you mean. Change Synchronization mode to Synchronous and Synchronizer Method to "P" if they're not set to that already.

Woah, that worked perfectly. Thanks.

And don't forget what I told you earlier about Soft Rasterizer if the graphics look all wrong.

It automatically came with that on, it even says Soft Rasterizer in big white letters whenever I open fe12, I think it wants me to know that.

I mean, what would hurt more than redoing this is playing through an entire game while bored, so we’ll see. I don’t have to commit to restarting If I find it too hard anyway.

Edited by Sooks

Dangit, I accidentally left Azura in range of the enemy. Stupid useless girl.

3 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Well I guess in a reset, he can go for the treasures in the caves. The main part i think would be too much in maniac would be that one arc (chapter 15-20). That part gets pretty tough. Chapter 19 and 15 in particular are ones I have to really focus on no matter how many times I play. Then again, I guess you can say the same for most conquest maps.

True, Sooks does have Conquest experience. Perhaps we shouldn't have underestimated him.

3 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Such a well made chapter. I thibk it even does story integration well.  It has that escape map vibe, with the prepromotes, silver lance generals, and having to manage the bottom bridge while running to the top. Choke strats help, but can't be relied on fully since Astram gang. I feel like my unit positioning really matters. Of course, Bord hammer actually is kind of epic against them, now that he actually has growths.

All of this is true.

Woah, that worked perfectly. Thanks.

You're welcome. So how's the emulator? Better, worse, or is it too soon to tell?

It automatically came with that on, it even says Soft Rasterizer in big white letters whenever I open fe12, I think it wants me to know that.

Hahah, yeah. Soft Rasterizer fixes a whole bunch of graphical issues (the big one for me being DSFE maps, they're all broken without Soft Rasterizer - literally broken, there's uneven gaps between the tiles), but in my experience, it tanks the performance when paired with upscaling. Of course, upscaling only matters with 3D games, which DSFE is not. Yeah, I know the battle models are ugly enough to look 3D, but they're not, they're sprites.

I mean, what would hurt more than redoing this is playing through an entire game while bored, so we’ll see. I don’t have to commit to restarting If I find it too hard anyway.

That is quite true. You have three save slots, after all.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

True, Sooks does have Conquest experience. Perhaps we shouldn't have underestimated him.

I do love me some Conquest.

Although I haven’t touched lunatic, but it sounds like it’s not that different until the very end. And Conquest Hard is plenty hard anyway.

You're welcome. So how's the emulator? Better, worse, or is it too soon to tell?

I haven’t used it yet since I wanted a break from New Mystery. I just booted it up to see if it was working after the standard DeSmuME gave up twice. Apparently it doesn’t like recruitment, it first gave up when I recruited Roger and then when I recruited Jeorge. And New Mystery is not the game to not like recruiting in.

I did get a really cool glitched version of Together We Ride out of it, though.

Hahah, yeah. Soft Rasterizer fixes a whole bunch of graphical issues (the big one for me being DSFE maps, they're all broken without Soft Rasterizer - literally broken, there's uneven gaps between the tiles), but in my experience, it tanks the performance when paired with upscaling. Of course, upscaling only matters with 3D games, which DSFE is not. Yeah, I know the battle models are ugly enough to look 3D, but they're not, they're sprites.

Oh, so don’t upscale fe12. Okay.

That is quite true. You have three save slots, after all.

I get three more if I’m too lazy to export my save from the old DeSmuME to the new one.

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah man, I definitely wouldn't have had that playing SD on my DS.

No wonder you speak in favour of it?

(Then again I don't exactly mess with the emulators like that, not familiar with them at all)