Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

FOw51M7WQAkx9WR?format=jpg&name=medium

What do you mean in the FALL????????????????

This Netflix deal is objectively the worst thing that has happened to JoJo. Deadass dropping a batch of 12 episodes worldwide in December, waited until Japanese TVs finished play catch up to announce the next batch of 12 episodes and said they are coming in the Fall. They could've just released the episodes weekly, you know, like they've always done but no, Netflix wanted to be special. Well they are indeed special, as they didn't just take the hype out of the sails, they fucking obliterated it. 

I am going to raze Netflix to the ground.

8 hours ago, Sooks said:

I meaaaaan if it was just a Cold Steel anime I would have, but North Ambria is an interesting setting. I always wanted the salt stuff to get explored more.

So fun fact Sooks, the events of the anime get covered in CS3 as it had already happened by then.

Which is why this anime is pointless and i don't think any amount of OCs will change that.

Genuinely trying to figure out what the point of this anime is.

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yes, Octopath Traveler and Mother 3 are first and second.

Third one's Omori, of course. I've gushed enough about that one.

Fourth one's Live a Live. Its uniqueness overshadows the flaws it has. I'm hoping the remake will do away with at least some of those, though!

Fifth one's LISA: The Painful. That's right, there's more than four, I lied. Lisa is one hell of an experience, and I'd be remiss if I omitted it.

Those are all the ones that come to mind.

Ah so Ruben has a suffer fetish, i see.

Also you're still lying, as Kaga games are technically RPGs, so there's more than five.

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I was a shallow Luigi fan as a kid, so they passed me by in favor of M&L. That is not to say I didn't play them. I played all three of the OG ones in fact, but well... I called Super my favorite just because it had playable Luigi in it and no other reason. Didn't help matters that I could barely play 64 because the emulator sucked balls. I distinctly remember Toad Town looking like an ocean of glitches you could hardly see through.

As for today, well... JRPG isn't a genre I enjoy all that much, and Paper Mario simply doesn't seem outstanding enough to get through to me. I've safer bets to put my money and time on. Ironically Super would probably still be my favorite nowadays, simply by virtue of not being a JRPG and having a plot that's not super lighthearted lol. And hey, even if it's no longer an absolute requirement, I still appreciate playable Loogi in my adulthood.

How can you not love this!?:

908c721c87c8bb6116b6ac13d882d5a0.png

8d28f353af8c198206ecd516b3e13414.png

Just now, The Roger The Paladin said:

I'd make some joke about it being you. But I can tell the players have different names and aren't Medic. So it checks out.

But... But I'm not medic either. Look at the bottom left corner! I'm a pyro!

Just now, The Roger The Paladin said:

I'm still really partial to the original and Bowser's inside story. A bit ambivalent on Partners in Time. I prefer BP to having Bros Items.

Bowser's Inside Story passed me by as well, but for far more unfortunate reasons: It did not work properly on my emulator at the time. GBA emulation was solid even back then, and PiT was fine, but BiS just refused. I recall it having a guaranteed crash really early on, nothing to be done about it.

Of course, then Dream Team came out during the year of Luigi, gave Luigi the spotlight and that was all kid me needed. I still enjoyed it when I returned to it recently-ish, but... It definitely drags on too much for its own good.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Ah so Ruben has a suffer fetish, i see.

If you knew Live a Live, you'd be bolding it too.

And hey, it's not my fault stories can't manage the same level of emotional impact when they're ultra lighthearted. In fact, those tend to be rather insipid. Not all the time, there are some lighthearted tales I enjoy, but a lot of the time they tend to just not do anything for me.

Also you're still lying, as Kaga games are technically RPGs, so there's more than five.

You just say that to spite me, but you know full well what I mean.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

How can you not love this!?:

908c721c87c8bb6116b6ac13d882d5a0.png

8d28f353af8c198206ecd516b3e13414.png

I don't think I made it this far. I only have faint memories of the first dragon and this one area with a time limit you have to escape from? Though that may've been a Youtube video I watched once, I dunno.

Besides, this seems like the kind of thing that'd get a chuckle out of adult me, but do absolutely nothing for kid me. So even if I did make it, I probably wouldn't remember it. I mean, I completely forgot the nerd frog from Super, and I 100% saw it, because I remember the pixel area and getting as far as the Count's castle.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I don't think I made it this far. I only have faint memories of the first dragon and this one area with a time limit you have to escape from? Though that may've been a Youtube video I watched once, I dunno.

Besides, this seems like the kind of thing that'd get a chuckle out of adult me, but do absolutely nothing for kid me. So even if I did make it, I probably wouldn't remember it. I mean, I completely forgot the nerd frog from Super, and I 100% saw it, because I remember the pixel area and getting as far as the Count's castle.

Fracktail is before Francis, though... XD

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Fracktail is before Francis, though... XD

I mean, I also played way less Thousand Year Door lol. The promise of Loogi kept me going with Super, and I'm pretty sure the only reason I didn't finish the game was because I heard I'd lose control of Luigi at the end. Yeah, I was that neurotic as a child. TYD, though... Yeah, I dropped that one rather quick. I didn't like the atmosphere and the set pieces as much as in 64, and it had no playable Loogi like 64, not to mention I took issue with a perceived Loogi disrespect. So I made it further in 64. Maybe. I don't know, my memories of these games aren't too clear.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Surely you at least remember the part about having to work for Rubees as a gerbil!

Ahh... no. Not even the faintest memory. Sorry.

Super Paper Mario has more worldbuilding than the majority of Fire Emblem games. Like so:

Pixls in gameplay: "In Super Paper Mario, the Pixls help Mario, Princess Peach, Bowser and Luigi by giving them special moves, like picking up items or enemies and throwing them, serving as explosives, or even acting as a floating platform for Mario and the others to ride on."

Pixls in lore:

C8xKuAp.png

(Note that basically none of this is mentioned in the main plot)

-------------------------------

I severely underestimated fighting Don and Kyle, by which I mean I didn't actually lose but had to use a dozen recovery items. Afterwards I played Campanella's trivia game, in which I got every question right on normal difficulty. Hopefully he won't ask any silly questions like "what color are Estelle's shoelaces?" on harder difficulties.

Spoiler

Given that I've fought almost every significant battle-capable character up to this point, and that I'm on a replica of the Glorious, I'd be surprised if the remaining Enforcers didn't show up.

Star Door 13 requires 400 battles, which I should reach by the time I find the last Star Door since I'm roughly at 310 now. Every other door with a battle requirement has been an "exposition" door, so I wonder what this one will be about...

14 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Who is Greg Chun?

He voices Ike, Ephraim, Lukas, and Eldigan. He is also a music composer and read a cheesecake recipe.

11 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So fun fact Sooks, the events of the anime get covered in CS3 as it had already happened by then.

Which is why this anime is pointless and i don't think any amount of OCs will change that.

Genuinely trying to figure out what the point of this anime is.

There should be an Ouroboros slice of life anime, where the Enforcers argue over mundane things like what to watch on TV or what pizza to order. Campanella ends up "accidentally" ordering five pineapple pizzas.

1 minute ago, Lightchao42 said:

He voices Ike, Ephraim, Lukas, and Eldigan.

Ah, so Heroes.

Never mind, he also voiced Lukas in Echoes. That makes him okay.

1 minute ago, Lightchao42 said:

He is also a music composer and read a cheesecake recipe.

Okay that's amazing.

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And hey, it's not my fault stories can't manage the same level of emotional impact when they're ultra lighthearted. In fact, those tend to be rather insipid. Not all the time, there are some lighthearted tales I enjoy, but a lot of the time they tend to just not do anything for me.

Ngl this is the sort of mindset i had when i was younger I am aware we are around the same age.  As i got older, i've grown to appreciate the simple stuff more.

So honestly, i don't know if i agree. I see where you're coming from but good emotional impact is not mutually tied to how serious the story is. Because laughter and happiness is also an emotion and if a story succeeds at doing that, then it's just as effective as a story that makes me ponder the nature of life.

9 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Campanella ends up "accidentally" ordering five pineapple pizzas.

Truly he is the physical incarnation of evil.

Edited by Armagon

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

But... But I'm not medic either. Look at the bottom left corner! I'm a pyro!

I assumed it was someone else taking the screencaps.

15 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You're thinking of Thousand Year Door. This guy was the first boss in Super. He has a hilarious meltdown when Dimentio interferes with his operating system.
As for Mimi and the Rubees... how do you manage to not remember being forced into slavery? I only played that section once back when the game came out and I remember it. I've kind of bypassed it every time since because I discovered the code for the vault stays the same.

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ngl this is the sort of mindset i had when i was younger I am aware we are around the same age.  As i got older, i've grown to appreciate the simple stuff more.

Soooo you're just calling me childish now? Thanks, I hate you very much too, Armagon.

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So honestly, i don't know if i agree. I see where you're coming from but good emotional impact is not mutually tied to how serious the story is. Because laughter and happiness is also an emotion and if a story succeeds at doing that, then it's just as effective as a story that makes me ponder the nature of life.

I suppose that's true, but I find that ultra lighthearted, low stakes stories tend to just... not do that for me either. There are a number of exclusively lighthearted stories that have made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, but come to think of it, they all have in common that they're short and sweet. When the lighthearted story gets too long, for the most part I just get bored of watching characters prance around in their perfect little world where nothing ever happens other than forced humor. I know this is kind of a sweeping statement. These things aren't an exact science, I'm doing what I can here.

Of course, ultra edgy stories where everything just goes wrong for the sake of it don't exactly do it for me, either, believe it or not. No better example than Berserk, the world-acclaimed manga. I didn't like Berserk at all at first, because everything was just misery, misery and more misery and Guts was a complete asshole of a protagonist for seemingly no better reason than "haha manga dark". I hated his guts (heh) and it greatly dampened my enjoyment of the story until Golden Age came around and it stopped trying so hard to be dark and instead focused on having a plot and development. Then Golden Age ended and it just... sort of became very average until I got bored and stopped. Didn't help that the translation I was reading was garbage, but I digress.

...See, the problem is that I'm kind of erratic in my preferences and also complete shit at explaining myself, so it looks like all I like is suffering, grim and gore in stories when that's not true either. I think what it all comes down to is: I find that when stories lean on the darker side, it makes the happier moments more impactful and earned. Thus, a sort of middle ground that's darker for longer, but utilizes its light wisely, is best for me personally. I hope I'm making sense here.

20 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

I assumed it was someone else taking the screencaps.

Bahahahahahahahaha! Oh, but that's amazing.

Nah, my favorite class is Medic, but I don't just play as Medic. That was years ago. For the last few years, I've branched out and started to play everyone. Though Medic is still my go-to class when it's time to get serious. I'm a really shitty Demoman and Engineer, a merely passable Scout, Soldier and Heavy, kind of decent at Pyro and Spy and quite possibly the worst Sniper in existence. Medic's the only one I'd say I'm at least somewhat "good" at.

This guy was the first boss in Super. He has a hilarious meltdown when Dimentio interferes with his operating system. As for Mimi and the Rubees... how do you manage to not remember being forced into slavery?

...Oh.

Well, there goes my entire argument.

Haha, ah...

I only played that section once back when the game came out and I remember it. I've kind of bypassed it every time since because I discovered the code for the vault stays the same.

Now that you've said the words "code for the vault", some faint semblance of a memory comes to my mind, but... Ahh, man, it's been way too long since I played this game.

22 hours ago, Armagon said:

I will say tho that the TMS cast > P5 cast. Once again, TMS reigns supreme.

…And madness claims yet another victim. Will its charnel claws never cease in gorging on the flesh of innocence?

Edited by WraithReborn

I think what it all comes down to is: I find that when stories lean on the darker side, it makes the happier moments more impactful and earned. Thus, a sort of middle ground that's darker for longer, but utilizes its light wisely, is best for me personally. I hope I'm making sense here.

I fully understand this point.

No better example than Berserk, the world-acclaimed manga. I didn't like Berserk at all at first, because everything was just misery, misery and more misery and Guts was a complete asshole of a protagonist for seemingly no better reason than "haha manga dark". I hated his guts (heh) and it greatly dampened my enjoyment of the story until Golden Age came around and it stopped trying so hard to be dark and instead focused on having a plot and development.

Ngl i think this is where my distaste for suffering stories comes from. Not from Berserk specifically, i've never read it but my experience with suffer usually boiled down to "lets make things as miserable as possible" and more often than not, it involved killing off characters just cause. And i'm not saying death can't be used well but if you ask me, the suffering is better when it's not something physical. Suffering = death is just the easy way out imo.

Of course, even then, i'd rather the story not beat me over the head with it. I like my suffering when it's an element of the story but not like, the point, you know? It's like horror in that sense.

Like Xenoblade 2 definitely has suffering in it but i wouldn't classify it as a suffering story.

I fully understand this point.

Thank you.

Ngl i think this is where my distaste for suffering stories comes from. Not from Berserk specifically, i've never read it but my experience with suffer usually boiled down to "lets make things as miserable as possible" and more often than not, it involved killing off characters just cause. And i'm not saying death can't be used well but if you ask me, the suffering is better when it's not something physical. Suffering = death is just the easy way out imo.

Of course, even then, i'd rather the story not beat me over the head with it. I like my suffering when it's an element of the story but not like, the point, you know? It's like horror in that sense.

Like Xenoblade 2 definitely has suffering in it but i wouldn't classify it as a suffering story.

You make fair points as well. I'll say, I do enjoy when stories are bold about killing off characters, but I understand where you're coming from as well.

Ultimately, preferences do be like that.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's rather counterintuitive, but Larentia isn't the one you want to keep Gomez from reaching the village - it's Faramir. With his light movement penalties and Celerity, he can reach the village before Gomez, and he'll be more than a match for the good brigand, provided you deal with the wyvern. Larentia cannot sit her mount on the house, and she's not strong enough to contest against Gomez.

Good to know for a subsequent run. And yeah, I saw the issue with Larentia. Her fragility really makes the flight melee immunity necessary for her. An arrow weakness ala typical FE would've been overkill as a countermeasure against her.

Way to go! I hope you remembered to have the scale forged into a shield. A ? icon appears on top of the village when you get it, so it's not too obscure or anything, I'm simply asking just in case.

I noticed that. The villager at the start of the mission made me think the village give me something to use against the dragon, I must've misread it. Still got the shield though.

Er... No, actually, this is wrong. You can use blades and shields together lol.

My error. I must've subconsciously assumed that blades were larger and heavier swords requiring two hands to hold, which would be why they get a subcategory separate from plain old (one-handed) swords. It doesn't help that all five of the other blade users can't use shields; Sherpa and his Brymranger blade being particularly big (which would explain the -50 Avoid).

"Upgrade to her father" looooool

They were clever, Clifford is tied to Ruby, Faramir to Faye. Kramer and Sylvis have nobody attached to them. It's almost as if they were saying "Yeah, we know Ruby and Faye are mediocre, while Kramer is Arrowsbane/10 and Sylvis is a goddess, so we'll force you to use the scrubs to permanently unlock units that are better than them".

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

This led to these beautiful images.

https://images2.imgbox.com/ed/80/ypURhtIR_o.jpg

😄

That'd be one heckuva closeup as the sign slams into your face.

This led to these beautiful images.

https://images2.imgbox.com/ed/80/ypURhtIR_o.jpghttps://images2.imgbox.com/4f/a2/s0Yl7USz_o.jpg

It's spreading, everyone.

The 99% of players who've never heard of Berwick Saga are going to be very confused.

43 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Good to know for a subsequent run. And yeah, I saw the issue with Larentia. Her fragility really makes the flight melee immunity necessary for her. An arrow weakness ala typical FE would've been overkill as a countermeasure against her.

Larentia is just so well designed for a flier. Helps also that she's the only one. Really good balance there, I wish IntSys copied Berwick in this regard.

They were clever, Clifford is tied to Ruby, Faramir to Faye. Kramer and Sylvis have nobody attached to them. It's almost as if they were saying "Yeah, we know Ruby and Faye are mediocre, while Kramer is Arrowsbane/10 and Sylvis is a goddess, so we'll force you to use the scrubs to permanently unlock units that are better than them".

To be fair, Faye does become a lot stronger as she goes, particularly after promotion. Ruby, though... Yeah, Ruby's really just a challenge unit with the reward of permanently unlocking one of the best units in the game. Ruby herself has very little longterm potential. Heck, there's a prepromote later on that's just Ruby but with a personal spear, better skills and high m shield level at base. Oof.

😄

That'd be one heckuva closeup as the sign slams into your face.

Play Berwick Saga.

Or else.

28 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

The 99% of players who've never heard of Berwick Saga are going to be very confused.

Anime signs are common in this game. Most will dismiss it as just that.

I did go into a community server yesterday, before heading to bed. It only had one person in it. He read the sign and went "fair enough." Then we exchanged game recommendations. He recommended me one called Ultrakill. It looks like a fast-paced fun shooter.

It was nice.

Recently I've been working on Mystery of the Emblem. Book 2 is progressing nicely. By which I mean Hardin's reign is over. I've also learned a) they nerfed the hell out of Merric by making the various changes they made in New Mystery and b) Why the series started doing distinct caps for classes. (Ok, I already knew that but it's reinforced it)

oF7m67sb_t.jpg

17 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Sprays on weapons, sprays on walls and floors... yep, that was TF2, haha.

Unfortunate that you can no longer spray the walls in public servers, but at least full color objectors are still a thing.

11 hours ago, Benice said:

Coming soon to a theater near you: Shrimpy rates the butts of every Trails character

...is there demand?

4 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Truuuuuuueeeeee.

We were robbed

Then again there's no guarantee Falcom would do it well considering how badly written CS2's war was