Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Next impression of the main mission in Chapter 9, this is going to take a while. Might not be able to save all the Engineers based on how the RNG goes, there is simply no way I can kill the aggressive archer before turn.... 70? Bringing Marcel wasn't a bad idea, but I'm now concerned he'll run out of Large Leather Shields much too soon, assuming enemy Canto abuse doesn't kill him first. Or that the ballistae never get in range for Elbert to Provoke them.

And for Esteban's stuff, the evil half-sister feels so cartoonish that I can't take the drama seriously. While the Pascanion ...should've been a gun. An infamous prototype backfiring doesn't feel right as a bow. Bows can backfire -apparently, modern archer lingo for when a bow limb break is "blowing up"- and harm the user. As I had read about an instance where the bow broke and lodged itself deep in an archer's foot and shattered a bone. But, this particular instance was a footbow.:

Spoiler

The-Foot-Bow-1-1024x769.png

Not exactly representative of normal archery, given the increased force load they can handle making them more dangerous. Apparently a modern compound bow can take sustain 70 pounds/32 kilograms of draw weight, while a footbow can go up to 325 pounds/148 kilograms. Historically, it's been claimed that premodern bows could travel a distance of up to 900 yards/823 meters. (The modern distance record using footbows is 2028 yards/1854.4 meters.)

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I personally believe that's what makes it brilliant. On some level, even if he's too proud, cowardly and/or preoccupied with other matters to admit it, he knows he fucked up badly. In Ruby and Clifford, he sees a similar situation to his own with his daughter, except Ruby hasn't completely lost all faith and respect for her father just yet. That's why Ward goes to such lengths to beat (literally!) some sense into Clifford. He wants to save Clifford from ending up like himself, he wants Clifford to do what he didn't do and salvage his relationship with the person that matters the most to him.

What I found notable was that both Elbert talking to Christine and Ward speaking with Clifford used the same expression- "You can't/It's hard to make amends with a grave".

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

full immunity is waaaay too broken.

Wait till CS III, friend. Fie's concealing wind might wanna be something you avoid using when applicable.

Edited by lightcosmo

It took 25 years but we finally have an Atelier game where the final boss is God

FO0zrryVIAkCEoF?format=jpg&name=large

Even though this is just possession

FO0zrrWVIAQbY2L?format=jpg&name=large

The game's OP spoils this tbf.

Anyways the game doesn't actually end immediately after this (this is a trend with the Mysterious games) but i will definitely be finishing it tomorrow.

13 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'll say, I do enjoy when stories are bold about killing off characters, but I understand where you're coming from as well.

There are times when i can respect it but there's a difference between me respecting the balls the author had to do that and me actually liking that.

Like famous example: the ending of Stone Ocean. Almost the entire cast dies in one fell swoop (they reincarnate later). I respect Araki for doing that. I do not like it.

On that same token tho, i respect Araki for killing off Jonathan at the end of Phantom Blood and i actually like that scene.

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Just wanted to say I'm with you in the Happy Story camp, on the hill opposite of the Shrimpy-Sooks-Rubenio suffering mountain. Sure I play SMT, but eh, it's mostly superficial macrocosmic stuff to me.

Yeah and like, i enjoy the Gunvolt games and both main timeline games have had pretty bittersweet endings but that hasn't stopped me from enjoying them.

That being said, Gunvolt 3 better end on a happy note. I did not wait seven years just to see Gunvolt suffer a third time. If i do not get my happy Gunvolt ending, i will actually become the Joker.

Edited by Armagon

Got Pokemon White 2 on my 3ds. :

I can even put in 'mons that'd normally be super hard to get thanks to PKSM!

Finally started RF5.

First impressions are that it's very obvious that Marvelous doesn't know their way around 3D games, despite this not being the first 3D RF entry. It's doesn't run particularly smooth, nor do the environments look detailed. At the end of the day, it doesn't mean much because RF isn't the kind of game that needs either. Still noticeable.

I wasn't keen on moving to 3D from the top-down 2D in the first place, and the movement, farming, etc. so far has pretty much confirmed that I'm still not gonna like it as much as the top-down style. Farming feels clunkier than it needs to, most notably. It's what it is. I guess they figured that they couldn't release a 2D farming game at a full $60 or something, idk.

Aaaaanyway. Nitpicks out of the way, it's already nailing the super-pleasant, cozy vibe I expect from RF. Not much else to say beyond that as I've hardly just started. Some of the characters catch my attention more than others, but I'd need to see more of all of them to get a better picture of who they are. Murakumo top-tier bro energy though, for sure. Ryker top-tier husband lack of energy. Margaret top tier I wish I could marry energy.

From booting up the game, one thing I liked was the inclusion of voice commentaries from the JP VA's about the game. Very nice touch. I'll need to listen to all of them sometime.

Spoiler

QYwYj704_o.jpg

WZZvfHS9_o.jpg

Marvelous really did have to tease the RF4 fans, didn't they?

Spoiler

erbtFMja_o.jpg

F7ZtUp7q_o.jpg

kjsflakfkladsjfd

hi there~

xZ173IyP_o.jpg

WTN6c7HV_o.jpg

The best kind of fanservice.

For scientific purposes.

Spoiler

hNF8TXJl_o.png

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Farming feels clunkier than it needs to, most notably. It's what it is.

Yeah same. I do like that you can hold the button to keep going along the same column but it definitely doesn't feel as smooth.

You can turn off Farm Camera tho so that it doesn't jarringly make it top down every time you enter the vicinity. 

5 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

For scientific purposes.

Nice.

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

Do you mean the credits theme? I mean, yes, it has some harmonica in it but that’s a bit of coincidence…

Ah, I'm safe!

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

It’s basically like me and that one Yakuza comment section!

Nice.

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

How did this even come up?

People were discussing a popularity poll from Japan on Falcom characters. Some chap I don't recognize was in first*, followed by another chap I don't recognize (Maybe Adol?), followed by Estelle.

*Apparently it was Rean? It didn't LOOK like Rean, but the lad who posted it says it was.

ZixDfgC.jpg

This was followed by a poll on the most popular songs, those being Silver Will, something from Ys II, and Hoshi No Arika (FC).

Then some chap said:

"The best version of Hoshi no Arika is that damn harmonica one in SC though

That damn scene just melts you"
And... Yeah, that's it. Prolly me being paranoid.
4 hours ago, Sooks said:

Not so fast Benice, she’s not relevant or important in Sky 3rd.

Truly the waifu of dreams.

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

I mean, I’d say that if you have to watch any Trails game it should be FC, but if you’ve put that much time in…

Yeah, I figure that that'd have been a good idea. 'Specially since the tutorials are kinda useless...

3 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Upon hearing this again, it sounds like music from a Sonic game.

Estelle takes Sonic's power and races to bonk everyone before the world can be infected by degeneracy. Olivier is the final boss.

Trails to Azure doesn't have a release date yet but is expected to release next March.

Oh, that's not too bad.

Trails from Zero releases six months from now, assuming you aren't distracted by Xenoblade 3 at the time. 

Yup, I... Don't know which I'll play first. Of all of the Trails games, I know the least about Zero, so I probably wouldn't be able to get spoiled about that. 3 is a pretty safe bet for enjoyment, but I don't know if I'll be able to finish XB2 and several other hundred-hour games. And after playing the beginning of Lost Judgment, I absolutely intend to purchase and play both Judgment and Lost Judgment... Gah, and Like A Dragon's sequel will likely be announced soon...

If RGG announces an Ishin localization, I'm gonna drown in the amount of games I need to play...

Not that I'm inclined to tell you what to do with your money, of course.

Of course not, that's my job to do that to everyone else!

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

Unless you want to watch her fighting specifically…

Eh, clearing the game with her would be nice. I doubt any of the playthroughs on the internet ever used Josette meaningfully.

Then again, game journalists said that the most brokenly OP class in LAD was bad, so maybe they think Josette is god-tier in the gameplay.

Edited by Benice

5 minutes ago, Benice said:

People were discussing a popularity poll from Japan on Falcom characters. Some chap I don't recognize was in first*, followed by another chap I don't recognize (Maybe Adol?), followed by Estelle.

*Apparently it was Rean? It didn't LOOK like Rean, but the lad who posted it says it was.

ZixDfgC.jpg

Yes, the Katakana does say Riin Shubarutsaa... or Rean Schwarzer.

Yes, second place is Adol.

Adol should've bumped Rean out of first place.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

9 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yes, do field Arthur if you can.

I'll admit, this is the most annoyingly pointless chest in the game. It contains a big pile of money, which you really want, but there's very little use for a thief in this specific map otherwise. The gate can easily be broken with weapons. Could've just put that money on Grauve or something. Maybe even make it a reward for saving all of the engineers.

The indication for Esteban's happiness comes when you start the map. A certain person will appear on the map that wouldn't otherwise.

Actually things will play out the same in regards to Esteban, as long as he was deployed in chapter 6.
You will only see after the map is over if the requirement was meet.

I think Thaddy contributes just fine as a support unit. Provoke is a great tool to manipulate enemy AI, after all.
It's more Czene who struggles. Her main utility is Watchful, which is extremely situational. Yet somehow she is expected to be deployed often enough to reach level 10.
She is better at setting up captures then Thaddy is, due to better knife rank, Adept potentially pushing the RNG in your favor and the fact that she does not have the Critical skill.
Of course you'd need a Bolt Knife first.

Forgotten Land might have the huge stage area (like A Hat In Time) as I was hoping for, but everything else is superb.

You can see on the little graphic details like a detailed map in a theme park how much love was put into this game.

Even the music is very unique for having like no remixes which is not Kirby-likish (Block Ball excluded).

So far this game is amazing!

6 hours ago, Benice said:

ZixDfgC.jpg

Wait, what? What did Rean do to get first place? And why are Alisa and Rufus anywhere at all on this list? And Emma??? Why is Lloyd 6th? And no Kevin? Truly the worst timeline.

6 hours ago, Benice said:

Then some chap said:

"The best version of Hoshi no Arika is that damn harmonica one in SC though

That damn scene just melts you"

And... Yeah, that's it. Prolly me being paranoid.

OHHHHHH

Yeah, really don’t worry about it. It’s a kino scene, but it doesn’t mean anything like that.

9 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

Marvelous really did have to tease the RF4 fans, didn't they?

Reveal hidden contents

erbtFMja_o.jpg

F7ZtUp7q_o.jpg

kjsflakfkladsjfd

hi there~

xZ173IyP_o.jpg

WTN6c7HV_o.jpg

The best kind of fanservice.

Wait a minute...

Is Margaret... an elf?

9 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

For scientific purposes.

Of course. Remember, this is you

656dEuto_o.png

23 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I suppose that's true, but I find that ultra lighthearted, low stakes stories tend to just... not do that for me either. There are a number of exclusively lighthearted stories that have made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, but come to think of it, they all have in common that they're short and sweet. When the lighthearted story gets too long, for the most part I just get bored of watching characters prance around in their perfect little world where nothing ever happens other than forced humor. I know this is kind of a sweeping statement. These things aren't an exact science, I'm doing what I can here.

Of course, ultra edgy stories where everything just goes wrong for the sake of it don't exactly do it for me, either, believe it or not. No better example than Berserk, the world-acclaimed manga. I didn't like Berserk at all at first, because everything was just misery, misery and more misery and Guts was a complete asshole of a protagonist for seemingly no better reason than "haha manga dark". I hated his guts (heh) and it greatly dampened my enjoyment of the story until Golden Age came around and it stopped trying so hard to be dark and instead focused on having a plot and development. Then Golden Age ended and it just... sort of became very average until I got bored and stopped. Didn't help that the translation I was reading was garbage, but I digress.

...See, the problem is that I'm kind of erratic in my preferences and also complete shit at explaining myself, so it looks like all I like is suffering, grim and gore in stories when that's not true either. I think what it all comes down to is: I find that when stories lean on the darker side, it makes the happier moments more impactful and earned. Thus, a sort of middle ground that's darker for longer, but utilizes its light wisely, is best for me personally. I hope I'm making sense here.

18 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Just wanted to say I'm with you in the Happy Story camp, on the hill opposite of the Shrimpy-Sooks-Rubenio suffering mountain. Sure I play SMT, but eh, it's mostly superficial macrocosmic stuff to me. I complained last year that NEO TWEWY had an overly schmaltzy ending, but speaking seriously, I'd rather take that over something that leaves me melancholic. 

On 3/26/2022 at 9:47 AM, Armagon said:

Ngl this is the sort of mindset i had when i was younger I am aware we are around the same age.  As i got older, i've grown to appreciate the simple stuff more.

So honestly, i don't know if i agree. I see where you're coming from but good emotional impact is not mutually tied to how serious the story is. Because laughter and happiness is also an emotion and if a story succeeds at doing that, then it's just as effective as a story that makes me ponder the nature of life.  

I just want to say that I like both.

hOpkLKR.jpg

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

Like famous example: the ending of Stone Ocean. Almost the entire cast dies in one fell swoop (they reincarnate later). I respect Araki for doing that. I do not like it.

Why tho? It's the best part of Stone Ocean

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

On that same token tho, i respect Araki for killing off Jonathan at the end of Phantom Blood and i actually like that scene.

https://i.redd.it/9x058x4ffyi31.png

9 hours ago, FlyingKitsune said:

Got Pokemon White 2 on my 3ds. :]

Using TWiLightMenu?

7 hours ago, Benice said:

If RGG announces an Ishin localization, I'm gonna drown in the amount of games I need to play...

You know that won't happen, Benice. Give up your dreams and die.

On a related note, I unearthed my ps2. If all goes well, I think I can run the original Yakuza 2. And I won't have to spend a cent

7 hours ago, Benice said:

Apparently it was Rean? It didn't LOOK like Rean, but the lad who posted it says it was.

ZixDfgC.jpg

The king takes his rightful place

MTrOTck.png

also,

>Renne

>15th place

VXuIvbh.png

19 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

Wait a minute...

Is Margaret... an elf?

Ayep.

VXuIvbh.png

Remember, this is you

656dEuto_o.png

Why, yes. Yes it is.

I just want to say that I like both.

hOpkLKR.jpg

Based.

Edited by twilitfalchion

19 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Ayep.

Damn, I must not have paid much attention to her. Is it time for me to channel my inner Aragorn?

T11fOxh.jpg

15 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Why

why why why why why

10 minutes ago, Elina said:

Agreed…

10 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Thirding that why...

The joke has already been made. They could have bumped Loewe to the 15th place. But they didn't. Now they will have to bear the consequences. That was the story they started...

Also, I'm a Berserk fan. You should have expected as much.

Cxbojf8.png

6 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

The joke has already been made. They could have bumped Loewe to the 15th place. But they didn't. Now they will have to bear the consequences. That was the story they started...

What, you don’t like Renne?

Also she’s like 13 and LIGHTCHAO DO NOT OPEN THIS

Spoiler

her backstory… why 06