• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

21 minutes ago, Sooks said:

”Unbiased” but Josette gets a 10 or he riots.

Sooks gets it.

21 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Even i can admit that characters i hate are hot

Nice.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Larentia is just so well designed for a flier. Helps also that she's the only one. Really good balance there, I wish IntSys copied Berwick in this regard.

Well, they did remove the bow weakness on wyvern in Radiant Dawn.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

To be fair, Faye does become a lot stronger as she goes, particularly after promotion. Ruby, though... Yeah, Ruby's really just a challenge unit with the reward of permanently unlocking one of the best units in the game. Ruby herself has very little longterm potential. Heck, there's a prepromote later on that's just Ruby but with a personal spear, better skills and high m shield level at base. Oof.

Faye has much better sword rank then Kramer. Being capped at 30 sword until level 15 really hurts him. Which is important because if you can't take a hit, you at least want to make sure your attacks actually land. Kramer might technically have more bulk, but he is still likely going to die in two hits. And unlike Faye, he will stay dead.

I do like all of Kramer's abilities conceptually, but the fact that they are all activation based makes him the very definition of unreliable.
Climber is technically not activation based, but all it does is to allow you to keep your avoid on cliff tiles. So it's another skill that might not actually make a difference if luck is not on your side.

Edited by BrightBow

1 hour ago, Shrimpolaris said:

We were robbed

Then again there's no guarantee Falcom would do it well considering how badly written CS2's war was

We were robbed the minute they decided to make CS. 

The Chapter 8 old men mission is done. The map went quite smoothly at the start, though around turn 10 it did begin to get complicated. I thought I could've cleared the map without a single reload, but Elbert's shaky accuracy ruined that plan. Several more reloads followed. Done by turn 16 with almost all the enemies slain, with Ruby getting her promotion afterwards. (Feels somewhat hypocritical of Ward to be lecturing to Clifford about parenthood I will say.) Perceval walked away with +2 Spd so Adept is now usable by him, and +1 Mag was nice too.

Chapter 9... are they asking me to field Arthur? Or is his dad the spy Reese is being told to get into contact with? And why is there that single chest on this map? Like Three Houses, chests in Berwick Saga seem to exist for only one reason- tradition. The problem, is that chests are few and kinda random. Admittedly, Berwick isn't being as inorganic with its chest placement as 3H, and no chest keys means Thieves have reason to exist. But having to bring Thaddy for one chest is pretty stupid, even if he can possibly maybe find three additional items to Steal. And is there supposed to be no indication if you got Esteban to 5 happiness in time for this map? Because I'm fairly certain he should be happy enough.

Even if I have to lug Adel, Axel, Arthur, Esteban, and Thaddy here, atop of the vulnerable baggage of Izerna and Aegina (b/c that Gigas Knight), this map couldn't possibly be the worst in Berwick Saga. Reduced to just Reese (lol), Ward, and three units of my choosing for the bulk of my offense (probably Elbert and Kramer for Arrowsbane, and Clifford seems good), I would still be all right. Since despite the ballistae, the many archers, the Jousting Supporter Quartet, the Raze priest, the Gigas Knight, every other enemy and the NPCs here, this map has one thing that hopefully shall absolve it of difficulty. That being, no turn limit. For the first time in forever a main mission doesn't have me against rushing the clock, and being able to turtle ought to melt away the challenge. I can butcher every imp here and then free the engineers when it's all over.

Oh, and I got an event with Weiss, so I take it Sylvis's bonus mission will be unlocking after I'm done with the engineering operation. The sense of Berwickian decline has been growing and growing for a number of chapters. I will say that destroying this bridge feels insignificant due to a gameplay decision- the massive shoals. I get why the shoals exist for gameplay, but they ought to have a zeroed-Avoid penalty like cliffs, to give a little more reason why Raze couldn't cross so easily via the river shallows.

---

Happy birthday @GuardianSing🎂

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

So honestly, i don't know if i agree. I see where you're coming from but good emotional impact is not mutually tied to how serious the story is. Because laughter and happiness is also an emotion and if a story succeeds at doing that, then it's just as effective as a story that makes me ponder the nature of life.

Just wanted to say I'm with you in the Happy Story camp, on the hill opposite of the Shrimpy-Sooks-Rubenio suffering mountain. Sure I play SMT, but eh, it's mostly superficial macrocosmic stuff to me. I complained last year that NEO TWEWY had an overly schmaltzy ending, but speaking seriously, I'd rather take that over something that leaves me melancholic. 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it.

7 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You keep bringing this up when on the subject of videogame preferences I'm at odds with everyone except Sooks, and Sooks already tried this out and didn't like it.

I trust your judgment, Ruben.

---

Happy birthday @GuardianSing!

Happy birthday @GuardianSing! Hope you have a great day!

5 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it.

Yes you can!

2 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

qb6kwfnvwop81.png

Who’s the one on the left?

7 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do

Good luck!

6Rl4YF8.jpg

7th gym down, 1 more to go!

Man, the 7th gym was a Sob. A water gym on rain (which you can't perma dispell. If you use your own weather ability after the 5-8 turns run out Rain returns), with both Kingra and (Mega) Gyarados in it was wew boi. The gym set up toxic spikes and Stones with tankier mons, too. And then there was the Gym gimmick with Type adaptation (Pokemon types were changed to be like the same type as the two top attacks of each pokemon. I had to think my attack order before the battle to get the types i wanted xD)....

One of the hardest gyms i ever faced, and pretty sure the hardest Water one. Fuck that Kingdra with his Berserker like crits. In one of my tries he got like 4 damn crits in a row. And he probably had swift swim with how he outsped everyone in my Party...

A Magic Swordmaster would be more apt then lol.

Without 420 i am sure i couldn't have won, as with Type adaptation gimmick i was able to make him Water/Grass for the Gym, which was hella useful.

Hariyama and Purgly are now in the bench, replaced by Cradily and Electrivire. However the Party is ever changing and dunno who will stay and who will be replaced. I moved Quacker from mixed attacker to full Physical. Metagross with Mega Evolution got alot better. Frosslass is super speedy and has a hella good type coverage, not to mention Will-o-Wisp is always good. Doggo is a good special sweeper, but she isn't one shotting stuff and needs alot of setup now, not to mention Fire as a type is kinda...meh. Will probably see if i can replace Doggo with another special sweeper, preferbly a Dragon. Quacker is also close to hitting the bench.

Special mention to the one side quest where only Ice and Fairy pokemon were allowed so i had to go with Frosslass and a bunch of lvl30 peeps to clear it. Had to use every ability to the max to clear (with blacking out like 3-4 times, too). Hail + Fross' Hail evasion + Aura veil were life savers there.

Edited by Shrimpolaris

@GuardianSing Happy birthday to you, Quetzal! Here's to many more birthdays going forward!

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

”Unbiased” but Josette gets a 10 or he riots.

I would join the riots. Blue Jessie deserves the world.

3 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Well, they did remove the bow weakness on wyvern in Radiant Dawn.

Ah yes, you mean that brilliant move that contributed to Haar being the most broken and mindless unit in the game.

3 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Faye has much better sword rank then Kramer. Being capped at 30 sword until level 15 really hurts him. Which is important because if you can't take a hit, you at least want to make sure your attacks actually land. Kramer might technically have more bulk, but he is still likely going to die in two hits. And unlike Faye, he will stay dead.

I do like all of Kramer's abilities conceptually, but the fact that they are all activation based makes him the very definition of unreliable.
Climber is technically not activation based, but all it does is to allow you to keep your avoid on cliff tiles. So it's another skill that might not actually make a difference if luck is not on your side.

Yes, this is true. Kramer is... fine, but he's rather uninspired, especially in the game he is. Though I will say, Arrowbane is one of those rare RNG-based skills that's still pretty amazing.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The Chapter 8 old men mission is done. The map went quite smoothly at the start, though around turn 10 it did begin to get complicated. I thought I could've cleared the map without a single reload, but Elbert's shaky accuracy ruined that plan. Several more reloads followed. Done by turn 16 with almost all the enemies slain, with Ruby getting her promotion afterwards. Perceval walked away with +2 Spd so Adept is now usable by him, and +1 Mag was nice too.

Way to go! Chapter 8 Ruby promotion is pretty all right. Those are some pretty awesome gains for Perceval, too.

(Feels somewhat hypocritical of Ward to be lecturing to Clifford about parenthood I will say.) 

I personally believe that's what makes it brilliant. On some level, even if he's too proud, cowardly and/or preoccupied with other matters to admit it, he knows he fucked up badly. In Ruby and Clifford, he sees a similar situation to his own with his daughter, except Ruby hasn't completely lost all faith and respect for her father just yet. That's why Ward goes to such lengths to beat (literally!) some sense into Clifford. He wants to save Clifford from ending up like himself, he wants Clifford to do what he didn't do and salvage his relationship with the person that matters the most to him.

Chapter 9... are they asking me to field Arthur? Or is his dad the spy Reese is being told to get into contact with? And why is there that single chest on this map? Like Three Houses, chests in Berwick Saga seem to exist for only one reason- tradition. The problem, is that chests are few and kinda random. Admittedly, Berwick isn't being as inorganic with its chest placement as 3H, and no chest keys means Thieves have reason to exist. But having to bring Thaddy for one chest is pretty stupid, even if he can possibly maybe find three additional items to Steal. And is there supposed to be no indication if you got Esteban to 5 happiness in time for this map? Because I'm fairly certain he should be happy enough.

Yes, do field Arthur if you can.

I'll admit, this is the most annoyingly pointless chest in the game. It contains a big pile of money, which you really want, but there's very little use for a thief in this specific map otherwise. The gate can easily be broken with weapons. Could've just put that money on Grauve or something. Maybe even make it a reward for saving all of the engineers.

The indication for Esteban's happiness comes when you start the map. A certain person will appear on the map that wouldn't otherwise.

Even if I have to lug Adel, Axel, Arthur, Esteban, and Thaddy here, atop of the vulnerable baggage of Izerna and Aegina (b/c that Gigas Knight), this map couldn't possibly be the worst in Berwick Saga. Reduced to just Reese (lol), Ward, and three units of my choosing for the bulk of my offense (probably Elbert and Kramer for Arrowsbane, and Clifford seems good), I would still be all right. Since despite the ballistae, the many archers, the Jousting Supporter Quartet, the Raze priest, the Gigas Knight, every other enemy and the NPCs here, this map has one thing that hopefully shall absolve it of difficulty. That being, no turn limit. For the first time in forever a main mission doesn't have me against rushing the clock, and being able to turtle ought to melt away the challenge. I can butcher every imp here and then free the engineers when it's all over.

Not only is this a main mission that doesn't make you rush against the clock, it's the main mission that always takes me the longest. I tend to take my time with the clean up here. Luckily, the map doesn't end until Reese speaks to the head engineer, so you get your say on when to wrap things up.

Oh, and I got an event with Weiss, so I take it Sylvis's bonus mission will be unlocking after I'm done with the engineering operation. The sense of Berwickian decline has been growing and growing for a number of chapters.

Weiss's event marks the unlocking of Sylvis's mission, yes. Good catch!

I will say that destroying this bridge feels insignificant due to a gameplay decision- the massive shoals. I get why the shoals exist for gameplay, but they ought to have a zeroed-Avoid penalty like cliffs, to give a little more reason why Raze couldn't cross so easily via the river shallows.

I suppose the implication here is that the shallows could only be crossed by light units and small brigades of cavalry. Moving a whole ass army through in a timely manner would be extremely difficult, with the supply convoys and the ballistae - and this last bit is supported by the gameplay, as your own ballistician cannot cross the shoals. In addition, defending against an army that's trudging through river shallows would be a far easier task for Veria, and would incur heavy losses for Raze.

That'd be my best explanation.

2 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

I trust your judgment, Ruben.

Of course, you should. Just sayin', maybe not the right endorsement to get folks here to play the game when Sooks is already out of the equation.

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I thought height loss happened when you were old.

I mean, she's 21. Not many years till she's an ancient hag by anime standards.