• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

The opposite, actually! We missed you! ❤️

I wasn't gone for that long but I appreciate the sentiment haha.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

"Meanwhile" is a pretty unfair word to use here, considering Kaga was one of the first directors to want to continue his work in a different company, and it was the precedent set by the Emblem Saga case that allowed others to pull stunts like these in the future. Nintendo then endeavored to beat him to the ground and erase him from history, but the damage was done.

Takahashi, just like Igarashi with Bloodstained or Inafune with Mighty no 9, for a couple more examples, may not have had the same luck had Kaga not fought a war with Nintendo all those years ago, is all I'm saying.

That is true but all of the other spiritual succesors still like, have a completely different title. Kaga was forced to change it from Emblem Saga to TearRing Saga and other devs do differentiate as well. Mighty No. 9 isn't called Mega No. 9, Bloodstained isn't called Castleventure, for instance.

Takahashi can just slap Xeno on to anything and get away with it, to the point that even Wikipedia groups Xeno under one series despite it being technically three different IPs. Other devs acknowledge Xeno as being one series. Hell, Xenoblade was supposed to be "Monado" and Iwata straight-up changed the title to Xenoblade to "honor Takahashi's previous works". I feel like other devs who have worked on IPs held by a company before moving on and making their own similar thing don't get the same treatment. As in, if you were to interview Iga, he'd be "the man behind several Castlevania titles, as well as the creator of the Bloodstained series". Interviewing Inafune and he's "the creator of Mega Man, as well as the creator of Mighty No.9".

I actually do wonder how Takahashi got the special treatment relatively. Several designs in Xenosaga are straight-up just ripped and subtly changed from Xenogears. Monolith Soft doesn't even own KOS-MOS anymore yet all they gotta do is simply ask to use her (pretty sure) (Monolith Soft also gets to celebrate the works they don't own anymore, tho I don't think it that'd infringe on anything in the first place). Only other spiritual successor I can think of that used a very similar name is Yooka-Laylee.....and even then, there are no word connections to Banjo-Kazooie, it's just the naming convention that's similar.

That is basically what I'm saying here. Like I memed about it but I really do wonder why Takahashi gets away with it relatively more than anybody else.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

That is true but all of the other spiritual succesors still like, have a completely different title. Kaga was forced to change it from Emblem Saga to TearRing Saga and other devs do differentiate as well. Mighty No. 9 isn't called Mega No. 9, Bloodstained isn't called Castleventure, for instance.

Takahashi can just slap Xeno on to anything and get away with it, to the point that even Wikipedia groups Xeno under one series despite it being technically three different IPs. Other devs acknowledge Xeno as being one series. Hell, Xenoblade was supposed to be "Monado" and Iwata straight-up changed the title to Xenoblade to "honor Takahashi's previous works". I feel like other devs who have worked on IPs held by a company before moving on and making their own similar thing don't get the same treatment. As in, if you were to interview Iga, he'd be "the man behind several Castlevania titles, as well as the creator of the Bloodstained series". Interviewing Inafune and he's "the creator of Mega Man, as well as the creator of Mighty No.9".

I actually do wonder how Takahashi got the special treatment relatively. Several designs in Xenosaga are straight-up just ripped and subtly changed from Xenogears. Monolith Soft doesn't even own KOS-MOS anymore yet all they gotta do is simply ask to use her (pretty sure) (Monolith Soft also gets to celebrate the works they don't own anymore, tho I don't think it that'd infringe on anything in the first place). Only other spiritual successor I can think of that used a very similar name is Yooka-Laylee.....and even then, there are no word connections to Banjo-Kazooie, it's just the naming convention that's similar.

Oh...

Huh. How odd.

Just now, Armagon said:

That is basically what I'm saying here. Like I memed about it but I really do wonder why Takahashi gets away with it relatively more than anybody else.

He has dirt on everyone. Everyone.

...Or ties with the Yakuza. Or both!

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh...

Huh. How odd.

Like c'mon bro, these are actually the same character

Citan2.png

Jin.png

They actually share the same last name.

Fei.png

Abel.png

Come on bro, how do you get away with this? That's just a younger version of the character above but from a different game. Runan or whatever his name was is basically a recolored Leif but at least his game had a different name. I'd show more but I gotta return to work in a bit.

7 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Ninty power?

Takahashi was doing this years before Monolith Soft was bought by Nintendo. I'd say that Nintendo is the reason why people see Xeno as one series but considering it was Iwata that changed Monado to Xenoblade, i think it's fair to assume Xeno was seen as one series even before then.

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Like c'mon bro, these are actually the same character

Citan2.png

Jin.png

Yeah, I can confirm.

Really dig the steampunk glasses, by the way. Dapper.

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Runan or whatever his name was is basically a recolored Leif but at least his game had a different name.

Fun fact about that: Originally, in Emblem Saga, Runan had the standard blue hair of all FE lords. When the legal storm came, Kaga changed his hair color to brown to further distance TearRing from Fire Emblem... And ended up making him look like HD Leif instead. Accident or cheeky middle finger at Nintendo? Who knows.

It should be noted Xenosaga came after the Nintendo vs Kaga lawsuit, as well. Though Takahashi left Square around the same time Kaga left IS. He just didn't made a game as soon as Kaga did. Though the difference was quite close (2001 vs 2002).

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Another thing to note would be Square would likely not have react the same as Nintendo would've. So maybe Takahashi would've fared better regardless.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It should be noted Xenosaga came after the Nintendo vs Kaga lawsuit, as well. Though Takahashi left Square around the same time Kaga left IS. He just didn't made a game as soon as Kaga did. Though the difference was quite close (2001 vs 2002).

Given the timing, it's possible they left Takahashi alone so they could focus on their ongoing campaign against Kaga, especially since they were failing initially. Of course, this is pretty shaky. I would expect a behemoth like Nintendo to be able to wage multiple legal wars even back then. Still, it would explain why Takahashi was ignored and allowed to thrive while Kaga was bullied for a long time until he was forcefully removed from the pages of history.

...Well, it sounds dramatic when I word it that way, but that's not to say Kaga's fate is tragic or anything, though. At this point in time, Kaga seems like a perfectly content man, enjoying his retirement while building a massive passion project mostly by and for himself, unaffected by the troubles of the past. It appears his only worry right now is passing away before he can wrap up the Vestaria series. I believe he went on record once saying, straight up, "I can't die before I finish Vestaria." I truly hope he doesn't, it seems to be very important to him - and hey, if it's only going to keep getting better, like VS2 compared to VS1, I'd definitely want to see the rest of the games, too!

6 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I don't like the current weather. To think it's only going to get hotter.

I still say this song should've also played in the other desert map.

Another thing to note would be Square would not react the same as Nintendo would've. So maybe Takahashi would've fared better regardless.

Fair point as well.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Given the timing, it's possible they left Takahashi alone so they could focus on their ongoing campaign against Kaga, especially since they were failing initially. Of course, this is pretty shaky. I would expect a behemoth like Nintendo to be able to wage multiple legal wars even back then. Still, it would explain why Takahashi was ignored and allowed to thrive while Kaga was bullied for a long time until he was forcefully removed from the pages of history.

Eh, why would Nintendo go after Takahashi?

8 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Eh, why would Nintendo go after Takahashi?

I don't know the man's history. Since you brought him up, I assumed he did something similar to Kaga?

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I don't know the man's history. Since you brought him up, I assumed he did something similar to Kaga?

No, the thing is, he wasn't a Nintendo employee. He was a Squaresoft employee. So no way Nintendo could've sue him back in 2001-2002 when they did with Kaga.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

No, the thing is, he wasn't a Nintendo employee. He was a Squaresoft employee. So no way Nintendo could've sue him back in 2001-2002 when they did with Kaga.

Ahhh right. That explains it, then. Square probably didn't have the same resources, nor anything to gain from a legal war with Takahashi the way Nintendo did with Kaga.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Ahhh right. That explains it, then. Square probably didn't have the same resources, nor anything to gain from a legal war with Takahashi the way Nintendo did with Kaga.

Though like I said, it was moot since the Nintendo vs Kaga legal battle happened first, before Takahashi made his own quasi-spiritual successor.

49 missions cleared in 30. Which means the next should have a boss with over half-a-million regenerating HP, a damaging-halving Distortion Field, and Guard & Potential 9 to layer on additional Armor and damage reduction.

To think I've fought as many battles as there are in OGs2. Some of which were Extra/DLC and hardly deserve to count as real battles though. (I don't think Relic battles count in that total?) I'm not surprisingly fatigued yet either.

Irm was the first character to reach Ace status for me. I see he retains his immutable OGverse bonus, which actually makes him one of the worst characters to rush towards Ace status with. Having cheap Love (b/c philanderer, his "love" is cheap) does you no good if you haven't unlocked the Spirit yet! Masa and Kyo are following fairly close behind.

The last mission I completed was Koji's prerequisites battle for his upgrade to Mazinger Z, which has provided me with the game's first Combination Attack. The next battle I tackle before finally clearing out the one Key mission available right now force deploys Amuro and El's Progenitor (who disappointed me by whiffing a mid-80s% hit on his very first action). Sounds like it might get the primal Gundam protagonist into a better machine, which I hope it does, because the Gundam is sorely lacking in this game, I could sneeze with more than 4300 Attack. While I will have to reserve judgement until the flashier & ultimate Mobile Suits appear, I am not impressed by them. The Supers seem more appealing to me. Gundams might look better in 3D than they do in 2D if I continue unseriously musing about them.

30 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Really dig the steampunk glasses, by the way. Dapper.

Citan would be perhaps one Xeno character you might somewhat like. First impression of him- a slightly eccentric old man with a wife and young daughter who happens to be a small rural village's doctor and a tinkerer with machines. Second impression- a talented martial artist. The truth- a 3rd class citizen from the evil empire who rose up and became an elite officer, left the empire, and then trained in swordsmanship under an old man of about 500 years of age. And he happens to be the uber-top-secret confidant of the not-evil emperor of the evil empire too. In terms of plot importance, while he is a distant third, he does nonetheless occupy a not-insignificant narrative role among the playable heroes.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sounds like it might get the primal Gundam protagonist into a better machine, which I hope it does, because the Gundam is sorely lacking in this game, I could sneeze with more than 4300 Attack. While I will have to reserve judgement until the flashier & ultimate Mobile Suits appear, I am not impressed by them. The Supers seem more appealing to me. Gundams might look better in 3D than they do in 2D if I continue unseriously musing about them.

Ah yes, an interesting decision to make him begin with the RX-78 in this game... well, technically, since it's not the same one. But well, there's the story reason for it. But yeah, he'll get his usual upgrades later on. Two of them in fact, unless you have the DLC 1 package, which makes it three instead.

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Citan would be perhaps one Xeno character you might somewhat like. First impression of him- a slightly eccentric old man with a wife and young daughter who happens to be a small rural village's doctor and a tinkerer with machines. Second impression- a talented martial artist. The truth- a 3rd class citizen from the evil empire who rose up and became an elite officer, left the empire, and then trained in swordsmanship under an old man of about 500 years of age. And he happens to be the uber-top-secret confidant of the not-evil emperor of the evil empire too. In terms of plot importance, while he is a distant third, he does nonetheless occupy a not-insignificant narrative role among the playable heroes.

I just checked the wiki. He's 29 years old. Twenty frigging nine.

In what twisted, devoid of logic, anti-natural, fucked-up universe does 29 count as an old m-- Oh right, it's anime. I almost forgot. Makes sense, then!

Yeah, that does sound like a character I'd enjoy, indeed.

21 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Can't wait to become an old man myself in two weeks time.

Think on the bright side, you'll be Sanger's age! (Or at least his age at the start of OG1, during OGs2.5, it caught my attention that one villain said a flashback conversation they had during OG1 was two years ago.)

And I'm with you, just not quite so soon.

27 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Ah yes, an interesting decision to make him begin with the RX-78 in this game... well, technically, since it's not the same one. But well, there's the story reason for it. But yeah, he'll get his usual upgrades later on. Two of them in fact, unless you have the DLC 1 package, which makes it three instead.

Question on Amuro in general- how loved is he within the Gundam fanbase?

Char, judging from: Sunrise's choice to etch him into a wall of their new office building, the Char GameCube, Char starring the new McDonalds advertisement, and Elzam; all suggest to me that Char is the supreme cultic figure of the Gundam franchise.

If Char is the uncreated eternal omnipotent being who existed before the universe formed and in fact created the universe, is Amuro the creator of the planet Earth and its sacred space colonies? Or, is the very first Gundam protagonist more of a national or local deity? How big is the fame-popularity-fanbase gap between the Greatest Being One Can Possibly Imagine, and his heroic opponent?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Question on Amuro in general- how loved is he within the Gundam fanbase?

Char, judging from: Sunrise's choice to etch him into a wall of their new office building, the Char GameCube, Char starring the new McDonalds advertisement, and Elzam; all suggest to me that Char is the supreme cultic figure of the Gundam franchise.

If Char is the uncreated eternal omnipotent being who existed before the universe formed and in fact created the universe, is Amuro the creator of the planet Earth and its sacred space colonies? Or, is the very first Gundam protagonist more of a national or local deity? How big is the fame-popularity-fanbase gap between the Greatest Being One Can Possibly Imagine, and his heroic opponent?

Oh, he's very popular. Though I can't really tell you much. Just that he's bound to be more popular in Japan proper than outside.

Edited by Acacia Sgt