Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

31 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

True. Ironically Three Houses was the one game with a system best suited for this. It even had a greenhouse for a little farming, even. Just change the mission-structure with a traversable world map, and a continent could work. Just make more use of warping magic to explain everything being traversable so quickly.

True, 3H would've been the best FE by far so far for the idea.

As for the greenhouse, that remind me of one idea I've had. That the Farm Emblem player's little farm becomes a test field for advancements in agriculture. Such a concept is more Early Modern in origin than Medieval, but so are war academies. The protagonist, perhaps not at home, develops new farming techniques and improves the crops of their family's aristocratic manorial estate. Those improvements -enacted by either a sibling or parent of the protagonist who doesn't fight- then once the big harvest comes in, provide gameplay benefits that help in the big battles that advance the story. 

...Medieval Europe was built on land, agriculture was wealth. Kings were cash poor yet land rich and so paid their loyal elite in fiefs, from which produce would be produced, and thus in kind or currency revenues for the crown would be obtained. The aristocracy derived their prosperity from agriculture, albeit agriculture assigned to serfs and peasants, so that the nobles could focus on fighting and governing as was their duty and living the fabulous life as was their privilege. Merchants and the trades could create concentrated wealth without a direct reliance on farming (although leather demands cows and wine demands vineyards), but the majority of the population were farmers.

It is because of this historical reality, that I take an unusual interest in the potentialities of Farm Emblem. The cornerstone of premodern economies goes underexplored as is, despite it being how the many blue blood knights of FE could train for combat and not worry about going hungry.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 177k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Hide contents

how did a book mentioning the 13 factories get out into publication like that? Did they not have a problem with it?

Spoiler

From a meta standpoint at least, because the books appeared in the pre-Trails games of The Legend of Heroes, and were kept as-is.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:
  Reveal hidden contents

From a meta standpoint at least, because the books appeared in the pre-Trails games of The Legend of Heroes, and were kept as-is.

Spoiler

You mean the Doll Knight series appeared in the earlier games? Huh. Didn’t know that.

Did it have any plot relevance to those?

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:
  Hide contents

You mean the Doll Knight series appeared in the earlier games? Huh. Didn’t know that.

Did it have any plot relevance to those?

Spoiler

Not that I'm aware of.

Saw Thor: Love and Thunder. A friend of mine put it perfectly: "it was like putting Ragnarok and Dark World into a blender".

Still better than Dark World tho obviously.

3 hours ago, Shrimpy said:

Those who know me will know how much i love Dual MCs, and if this delivers...oh boy!

I really look forward to discussing them with you (the whole cast really), they are so good!

I just gotta wait cause I'm hours and hours ahead of you haha.

Also Ai sucks with Birdie...which is weird because Ai Origami seems fine lol. Birdie Ai never used buffs or heals right, while Origami kept using the evasion buff right kek

Interesting. Can't say I've run into any AI problems, they've always been very confident. Also helps that you can swap at any time too but yeah, party AI is working out fine.

2 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

-tweet-

True.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Good luck with ever emulating XCX then! Pray the eventual sequel changes things!😛 (And it should, a lot will have happened since XCX.)

I think if Shrimpy gets used to Kevesi class cooldowns, he should be fine with X. 

Okay, did more Thieve's Guild stuff and went to do the next step of the Main/Daedric quest. I think I might actually finish up the Thieves' Guild stuff before long. I intend to do both it and the Dark Brotherhood stuff before finishing up the main questline. In fact, DLC stuff aside, I want to leave the main questline for last, which means also doing the Civil War, which I haven't touched yet either. Though I also want to skip Season Unending. But that's for next time.

Also, I had an NPC suddenly die. No idea how it happened, I just got the announcement via Courier when an NPC with raised disposition dies and you get something of the inheritance. More weirdly since it was Torbjorn Shatter-Shield who isn't tied to any sudden death scripts... his wife does, and sure enough was still alive (though not long for the world since I did that optional part of Mourning Never Comes). Since it was just so random, I just used the Console Commands to revive him. Still, weird that it happened to begin with...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

These are certainly the kind of crossovers I can get behind.

Never got to saw it on TV itself, I don't think they had the episode for airing by the time I saw seeing this on TV... or the rights to air it somehow... or I simply missed it in some grand coincidence. But well, at least it's up there to see.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I’d rather this be done with pretty much any other member of Class VII, but it’s still cool to see. Plus at least she has one of the best designs in Trails. Well, in Cold Steel 2 anyway.

Edited by Sooks

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Good luck with ever emulating XCX then!

Hah!

Although afaik and fom what i've seen XCX combat is really fast, so it shouldn't be a problem

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

I just gotta wait cause I'm hours and hours ahead of you haha.

Hours and hours sounds like i could catch up in a day while i will probably need a week xD

Btw, you also playin on hard, right?

Also i wish sometime later they add in the Difficulty options ala XBC2 back

Edited by Shrimpy

9 hours ago, Sooks said:

Hey, in Lightchao’s defense, this write up is only of the first third of the game. Garon doesn’t show up until act 2, because the writers had to save some interesting characters and plot points for the later sections.

Hmph. I will forgive Lightchao this time. But this better not happen again!

9 hours ago, Sooks said:

Now that I think about it, this is what Trails is doing with him being a portraitless, voice actor-less NPC. They’re setting him up to become the villain…! Factory Worker Garon is the grandmaster confirmed!

Was there ever any doubt? Garon is going to take over Trailslandia. Such is his fate. To rule the entire world absolutely.

6 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Ah, but there is something you haven't considered: Pyra and Mythra can use Garon as a spirit, granting them his power and by your definition, making them perfect beings.

Heresy. I will murder them. I will save Garon.

6 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

On the other hand, Mario can use Garon too, giving Garon his iconicness. After all, there's probably not a single person who doesn't know Mario. He's that famous.

Imagine Loogi fused with Garon. He would do what Dimentio could not...

6 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

@Saint Rubenio I finally witnessed the Garon T-posing cutscene, are ya happy now?

Yes.

I think I've said this before, but the more I play Fates the more convinced that the plot only works because Xander is too dumb to breathe.

He sees the King laughing maniacally and yelling about how he's going to destroy the entire world and still Xander's like "He's just stressed, give him a weak and he'll be fine"

The feeling when you realize that Xander had been walking on a straight line towards Garon the entire scene is magical. His T-Posingness was clearly within his field of view the entire time, and the good princeling only reacted when Leo pointed him out. And then the camera does a ridiculous zoom out from Garon, because Fates is amazing.

This scene is the gift that keeps on giving. You could dissect it five times and find as many dumb details tucked away in corners that you hadn't noticed. It's wonderful, wonderful! Peak Fates, as far as I'm concerned.

7 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

With every new Marvel movie I watch I appreciate The Batman more.

Meanwhile it's the first MCU movie outside Spiderman I've watched since Endgame.

Haven't gotten into the shows either so I don't have that weight over this specifically.

6 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I can see it working if the dungeons worked SoV style, and time instead of passing continually, it worked on a "time period" system where dungeon delving advances the clock X number of hours no matter how many you spend in there in game-time.

Zone of the Enders - Fist of Mars is another Sci-Fi SRPG. It plays practically like SRW, though... because it was developed by Winkysoft.

Pretty good choice for keeping time progression in exploration.

Will battles account for time moving then?

I think I've said this before, but the more I play Fates the more convinced that the plot only works because Xander is too dumb to breathe.

He sees the King laughing maniacally and yelling about how he's going to destroy the entire world and still Xander's like "He's just stressed, give him a weak and he'll be fine"

Xander's idiocy: it is known.

8 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

Enemy phasing holy blood characters: a bad time.

He's back! In the description he says he's wanting to branch out, hope it works for him.

2 hours ago, Shrimpy said:

Btw, you also playin on hard, right?

Nah, Normal. It's my first playthrough and I didn't want to go Hard on a game I didn't fully understand yet (the Xenoblade experience is getting my ass kicked in places I shouldn't on my first run).

Edited by Armagon

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Nah, Normal. It's my first playthrough and I didn't want to go Hard on a game I didn't fully understand yet (the Xenoblade experience is getting my ass kicked in places I shouldn't on my first run).

I am definitely getting my ass kicked by UMs much more than other Xenoblades i feel xD

Also gotta get used to party switching. Why did that take em 3 games to implement xD

Not really talked about but for a JRPG, Xenoblade 3 plays it's mixed bathhouse scene completely straight. No one has sex on the mind because they've been conditioned to just fight fight fight. Noah, Lanz and Eunie are able to have a perfectly normal conversation while in the nude cause for everyone, there's nothing embarrassing about being seen nude.

Even as someone who generally doesn't mind fanservice, this was honestly incredibly refreshing.

28 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

am definitely getting my ass kicked by UMs much more than other Xenoblades i feel xD

Oh yeah those bastards are tough in this game. Probably cause Elites exist now so UMs have to be even tougher.

Getting ganged up on in the early game is also a death sentence it feels like.

Anyways I forgot to respond to this

Although afaik and fom what i've seen XCX combat is really fast, so it shouldn't be a problem

Yeah and as I've mentioned, Xenoblade 3's flow (to me) feels like this sweet spot between X's flow (not with Overdrive) and 2's flow if I had to describe it.

Game just in general has a lot of X's DNA, from classes (Full Metal Jaguar is literally in this game) to the world exploration and best of all, the sidequests but it's also like Torna where every character has unique input on each sidequest. Course I'm for now gonna give X the victory margin here because of how much those quests can really impact the world and how many of them exist and co-exist in branches.

I know what I'm gonna build in Minecraft. The mod adds colored planks, so I'm going to make a floating phantom ship to live in. Which will be green. Because of course. Maybe I'll send pics when it's closer to completion

I got admitted into UCF so that's pretty neat.

What isn't pretty neat is trying to figure out this NID shit, i can't seem to get it from my records despite putting in the correct credentials. Why you can't just make a UCF account normally like a normal person is beyond me and i'm gonna have to wait until Monday to sort this out.

Classes start on the 22nd btw so i only have a few weeks to register for orientation.

UCF i promise you it does not need to be this deep.

39 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Xenoblade 3 plays it's mixed bathhouse scene completely straight.

Oh yeah i wanted to mention this yesterday

Then again, XB2 bath scene was kinda the same, even if it was girls only there.

40 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Getting ganged up on in the early game is also a death sentence it feels like.

Yup. More than 3 or so i have to be careful

6 and more might as well await the respawn if you can't run away xD

45 minutes ago, Armagon said:

classes

Speaking about that

Noah sucks as an evasion tank lol.

15 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

Then again, XB2 bath scene was kinda the same, even if it was girls only there.

I suppose. But 2 did have a "nice bod" moment there which is hot tbf whereas 3's wasn't even acknowledging is what I'm trying to say.

16 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

and more might as well await the respawn if you can't run away xD

Hold down minus for a few seconds to bring up the prompt to respawn at the nearest landmark. Battles don't game over unless the whole party goes down since revives work differently so waiting for the respawn isn't as fast.

17 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

Noah sucks as an evasion tank lol.

Yeah some characters are better in certain classes than others.

But I think you can make all of them work. Don't ask me how to uncap them btw, I've only just now uncapped Zephyr. It's through certain sidequests (side stories it seems like) and I've only found one so far.

18 minutes ago, Shrimpy said:

Congrats!!!

Thanks! Taking that next step soon.

2 hours ago, Awoken Dayni said:

Will battles account for time moving then?

That could be an interesting idea. Farming sims usually make a point of the passing of the seasons, making that affect the maps could add to the relevance of the cycle of nature.

However, how this idea is implemented and how frequently matters. It obviously shouldn't really affect indoor maps, and I think it would be better if a few battles were forced to take place in a specific season. Do all seasons affect all battles, or would only one or two seasons usually affect a battlefield? What effects are these? Does a river dry up in the summer? Does the river freeze over in the winter? It would be a bad idea if winter was always snow that caused a movement penalty, it would make winter wars either more tedious if you wanna go fast/normal speed, if perhaps beneficial for players who like turtling. Effects that are a little more creative could be spring alpine snowmelt leading to river flooding, or summer or fall being thunderstorm/hurricane season, which renders flier units impaired. Do we include fantasy effects, like LoZ Oracle of Seasons's petrified mushrooms that can only be removed in autumn?

Someone make me Farm Emblem pls.😆

50 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Not really talked about but for a JRPG, Xenoblade 3 plays it's mixed bathhouse scene completely straight. No one has sex on the mind because they've been conditioned to just fight fight fight. Noah, Lanz and Eunie are able to have a perfectly normal conversation while in the nude cause for everyone, there's nothing embarrassing about being seen nude.

Thank you for telling me I won't have to skip it!😀 I'm not exactly fond of pervy bath scenes (unless they're, ya know😄), particularly in the frequently encountered scenario where the MC is actually innocent but accused of being a perv. 

24 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Classes start on the 22nd btw so i only have a few weeks to register for orientation.

Ah the challenges of school!

Enjoy XC3 while you still have the free time!

Popped on Neo TWEWY for a bit to get back on the last couple of things to finish the game.

Black Cat Set is is fun to work with, shame I still need to get some other pins and I suspect they mightn't be enough to overcome the superboss.

58 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I got admitted into UCF so that's pretty neat.

What isn't pretty neat is trying to figure out this NID shit, i can't seem to get it from my records despite putting in the correct credentials. Why you can't just make a UCF account normally like a normal person is beyond me and i'm gonna have to wait until Monday to sort this out.

Great job Armagon! What's your area of study?

As for registration being a pain in the hole at times, I can commiserate with the fun of academic beuracracy. Though I can't say I have as much of an experience myself for some reasons that are pretty distinct to where and when I was entering third level

28 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That could be an interesting idea. Farming sims usually make a point of the passing of the seasons, making that affect the maps could add to the relevance of the cycle of nature.

However, how this idea is implemented and how frequently matters. It obviously shouldn't really affect indoor maps, and I think it would be better if a few battles were forced to take place in a specific season. Do all seasons affect all battles, or would only one or two seasons usually affect a battlefield? What effects are these? Does a river dry up in the summer? Does the river freeze over in the winter? It would be a bad idea if winter was always snow that caused a movement penalty, it would make winter wars either more tedious if you wanna go fast/normal speed, if perhaps beneficial for players who like turtling. Effects that are a little more creative could be spring alpine snowmelt leading to river flooding, or summer or fall being thunderstorm/hurricane season, which renders flier units impaired. Do we include fantasy effects, like LoZ Oracle of Seasons's petrified mushrooms that can only be removed in autumn?

It could be some maps don't differ too much outside certain seasons or even specific periods within seasons, like an area that generally has a cold snap early in spring could have snow you don't expect it to if you didn't have the knowledge, or stormy periods that makes your fliers useless as you said (they could also alter projectile ranges, making them more effective going downwind and losing range if you shoot upwind). Rain could affect bow users because their strings are wet, forcing them to limit their shots or continually deal with cooldown and wait for a raincloud to pass. Harsh sun could make armours easier to knock out due to dehydration or give increased accuracy at further ranges as the field in the distance is clear (or if there's humidity lose that boost due to light mist). Not to mention anima magics could take advantage of all these to boost their power. Course, there's more fun with this if the battlefield is not uniformally affected by these things and you could have to get your units into particular areas to defend a gate or have to move from place to place for your armours to take shade in a sunny stage or avoid rain and heavy winds.

And all these weather effects can mess with morale! Which of course could be a new system- Wait, I'm not giving any submissions for that one thank you, I'd like to figure that one for me.

20220730_094259.jpg

TFW I cannot find a way to get to the other side despite going through this island numerous times. I know for a fact that's a Scenic Viewpoint and particularly special one at that.

No climbable walls, no ziplines, I am at this point convinced I need something completely different to get there.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Thank you for telling me I won't have to skip it!😀

You weren't gonna skip it cause naked Lanz was right there anyways haha.

But yeah, jokes aside, it's probably the best handled bathhouse scene. Even Ruben could watch it without going into cardiac arrest.

19 minutes ago, Awoken Dayni said:

What's your area of study?

Digital design.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Yeah some characters are better in certain classes than others.

After i max rank the current classes i will probably make peeps learn classes that fits their role.

Like Noah and Sena learning each other's class for example. Can imagine some sick fusion arts that way.

Although tank Sena and attacker Mio kinda work, and the healers switching classes just fits.

Evasion Noah is making everything harder tho since he can't evade and dies fast so he can't work as aggro bait lol

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

2 hours ago, Awoken Dayni said:

It could be some maps don't differ too much outside certain seasons or even specific periods within seasons, like an area that generally has a cold snap early in spring could have snow you don't expect it to if you didn't have the knowledge, or stormy periods that makes your fliers useless as you said (they could also alter projectile ranges, making them more effective going downwind and losing range if you shoot upwind). Rain could affect bow users because their strings are wet, forcing them to limit their shots or continually deal with cooldown and wait for a raincloud to pass. Harsh sun could make armours easier to knock out due to dehydration or give increased accuracy at further ranges as the field in the distance is clear (or if there's humidity lose that boost due to light mist). Not to mention anima magics could take advantage of all these to boost their power. Course, there's more fun with this if the battlefield is not uniformally affected by these things and you could have to get your units into particular areas to defend a gate or have to move from place to place for your armours to take shade in a sunny stage or avoid rain and heavy winds.

And all these weather effects can mess with morale! Which of course could be a new system- Wait, I'm not giving any submissions for that one thank you, I'd like to figure that one for me.

Maps changing with the seasons would certainly be a nifty idea.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Berserk is the best.
Have Barzelphen get berserked and have him inflict the rest of the party with Power of Love to make them immortal for 5 turns.
I suppose that's actually what you are meant to do if you want to snipe Baruke in chapter 9. Otherwise Critical Reprisal is just gonna ruin your day.

Would have liked going for it, but I felt like kiting a surviving Ironblood around would be too much of a hassle. Plus, it doesn't seem like there is a reward to be gained for the effort.

Edited by BrightBow