Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

That is an interesting idea, tbh.
But I can also see this go south rather quickly, I think it's an okay way to incentivize players to not rely on lucky dodges.

---

And speaking of dodge-tanking, my favorite dodge-tank strategy is this: in Radiant Dawn, have Ike support with Mia, give either one the Daunt skill, keep 'em close on the battlefield (not hard to do since they have the same Mov stat), and they will be nearly unkillable for the rest of the game.

To be fair, SRW doesn't employ permadeath, since every character is more or less plot important due to SRW stories being the merge of a lot of preexisting ones. The penalty of having units reach 0HP is instead a money loss, justified as repair costs.

Also, one of the best dodgetanks ever:

Edited by Acacia Sgt

• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Happy birthday! 🎂🦐

Thanks^^

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

HAL Laboratories actually did an April's Fools joke last year similar to this:

kirbyqbby1_thumb.jpg

The signs were always there xD

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

That is an interesting idea, tbh.
But I can also see this go south rather quickly, I think it's an okay way to incentivize players to not rely on lucky dodges.

I believe some of the dodgetank stuff in EO had decay, although I'll say dodgetanks have never been truly good in that franchise. I'm found the Phantom Duelist to be alright and not as good as I hoped in V (though I didn't finish that run, I got tired of running low on Nectars in the 3rd Stratum).

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

To be fair, SRW doesn't employ permadeath, since every character is more or less plot important due to SRW stories being the merge of a lot of preexisting ones. The penalty of having units reach 0HP is instead a money loss, justified as repair costs.

Interesting!
That leaves the question of what happens when you run out of money. XD

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

I believe some of the dodgetank stuff in EO had decay, although I'll say dodgetanks have never been truly good in that franchise. I'm found the Phantom Duelist to be alright and not as good as I hoped in V (though I didn't finish that run, I got tired of running low on Nectars in the 3rd Stratum).

I actually never used any dodge-tank strategy in Etrian Odyssey, since I didn't see much use for it when I played V. Nice to know I wasn't wrong in that assessment!
Come to think of it, inflicting ailments and binds also has a decay in some games (or all of them?), so it makes sense that dodgetanking would be the same way.

Edited by DragonFlames

Just now, DragonFlames said:

Interesting!
That leaves the question of what happens when you run out of money. XD

Nothing. They still get repaired, so you never loose a unit. Unless dictated by the plot.

Of course, as money is needed to upgrade the mechas' stats and their weapons' power, you still don't want to loose money on repairing lost units.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Nothing. They still get repaired, so you never loose a unit. Unless dictated by the plot.

Of course, as money is needed to upgrade the mechas' stats and their weapons' power, you still don't want to loose money on repairing lost units.

Ah, okay! Makes sense, makes sense!

Happy birthday, Shrimpy!

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

If it exists, it can and will eventually happen. I learned that the hard way.

R.I.P. Trechidna.

19 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I actually never used any dodge-tank strategy in Etrian Odyssey, since I didn't see much use for it when I played V. Nice to know I wasn't wrong in that assessment!

The fact they can't do anything about row or party attacks in any game is a real problem, I'd say they demand a certain level of durability on the part of the rest of your team. Unlike say an EOU2 Beast who could let you viably run a front-row Alchemist (for Palms).

This said, pairing a Phantom Duelist with the Sylphid skill is good for a Chain Duelist companion, since each Sylphid stab is a chance for another Chain proc. However, the other fault of the Phantom Duelist, if you want to maximize their evasion, is that you have to run them naked. Lightweight provides a powerful evasion buff for every empty equipment slot, so they die in 1-2 hits if they do get hit. No weapon will kill their offense outside of Lure (which is dependent on having two strong front-row allies), though the Urumi buyable in the 3rd Stratum will at least let you use sword-requiring skills and you'll get some evasion-increasing Agility out of it. Though you also have to be careful about enemy no-damage Leg Bind infliction skills, you can't dodge those with no damage the way you can other ones.

-What? I looked into this stuff before trying it myself. It's not totally worthless, but my Phantom Duelist-Shield Bearer-Blade Dancer-Spirit Broker-Divine Herald team feels like the weakest of my three V teams. I should eventually finish that run and then at last use the five last Legendary Names I hadn't picked: Impact Brawler-Deathguard-Flying Falcon-Omnimancer-Graced Poisoner. Sounds like an inferior version of my first run, but I'm sure it'd be fun.

-Though I have a lot of EO unfinished stuff I want to do but haven't!😆

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The fact they can't do anything about row or party attacks in any game is a real problem, I'd say they demand a certain level of durability on the part of the rest of your team. Unlike say an EOU2 Beast who could let you viably run a front-row Alchemist (for Palms).

I confess that I have only played EOU2 in story mode so far, so I don't have much experience with using Beasts.
That is probably something I should do at some point, though.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

This said, pairing a Phantom Duelist with the Sylphid skill is good for a Chain Duelist companion, since each Sylphid stab is a chance for another Chain proc.

That means you'll need to run two Fencers though, right?
I think those both come from Fencers, at the very least.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

However, the other fault of the Phantom Duelist, if you want to maximize their evasion, is that you have to run them naked. Lightweight provides a powerful evasion buff for every empty equipment slot, so they die in 1-2 hits if they do get hit. No weapon will kill their offense outside of Lure (which is dependent on having two strong front-row allies), though the Urumi buyable in the 3rd Stratum will at least let you use sword-requiring skills and you'll get some evasion-increasing Agility out of it.

So it's basically "go big or go home", I see.
Seems like it really is better not to use this, because I barely made it through EOV as it was, and I upgraded my equipment AND did grinding sessions after reaching each new stratum (and I still got killed by those mole things on the... I think it was the second stratum? more times than I would like to admit. XP).

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Though you also have to be careful about enemy no-damage Leg Bind infliction skills, you can't dodge those with no damage the way you can other ones.

And this most likely kills the viability of it completely for me. Too risky!

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-Though I have a lot of EO unfinished stuff I want to do but haven't!😆

Same here! I still want to try different team combinations in V and Nexus, and I eventually want to do a classic mode run of both Untold games.

Just now, DragonFlames said:

That means you'll need to run two Fencers though, right?
I think those both come from Fencers, at the very least.

Yes it does, which might be a turnoff for some people because they don't like the idea of two of the same class, I'm one of them.

However, some classes do have a bit of synergy with additional versions of themself or their alternative Legendary Name. For another case, Divine Punishers do well with more Divine Punishers or Heralds, because it means you can use Mana Oracle or Invoke Gods more frequently. The latter deals an incredible 1500% damage (use a Therian b/c it's a physical skill) and reduces all damage taken by 80% for 1 turn, but costs 45 TP and requires three buffs applied beforehand to the user, all of which are dispelled when Invoke Gods is used. Since Shamans are the buff class, having four Shamans would let you Invoke Gods every turn (or every other turn, depending on when in the turn order the Invoke Gods user acts relative to the Prayer-applying Shamans).

7 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I confess that I have only played EOU2 in story mode so far, so I don't have much experience with using Beasts.
That is probably something I should do at some point, though.

That the Beast takes all the damage (reduced somewhat of course) unto themselves means the durability of your other characters doesn't matter. But it means your Beast better survive whatever it is it taking, if it doesn't and the rest of your team is too squishy, goodbye! The Protector allows the damage (reduced of course), be spread out, so it's less likely a single character will take a fatal amount. But everyone may end up to taking some damage, so nobody better be so fragile that even a Guard skill can't keep them alive.

I think it's a fair tradeoff, all damage for one, or some damage for all? Team composition may favor one or the other.

18 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

(and I still got killed by those mole things on the... I think it was the second stratum? more times than I would like to admit. XP).

My sympathies, the moles were evil!

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Yes it does, which might be a turnoff for some people because they don't like the idea of two of the same class, I'm one of them.

Same here, because I feel like it limits strategy, which is not preferable if you run into something that can ruin said strategy utterly.

However, some classes do have a bit of synergy with additional versions of themself or their alternative Legendary Name. For another case, Divine Punishers do well with more Divine Punishers or Heralds, because it means you can use Mana Oracle or Invoke Gods more frequently. The latter deals an incredible 1500% damage (use a Therian b/c it's a physical skill) and reduces all damage taken by 80% for 1 turn, but costs 45 TP and requires three buffs applied beforehand to the user, all of which are dispelled when Invoke Gods is used. Since Shamans are the buff class, having four Shamans would let you Invoke Gods every turn (or every other turn, depending on when in the turn order the Invoke Gods user acts relative to the Prayer-applying Shamans).

... On the other hand, this sounds really, really strong.
Confession once again: I never used a Shaman in EOV. I used a Fencer, Dragoon, Harbinger, Botanist, and Warlock on my playthrough, iirc.
I am not a very good player.

That the Beast takes all the damage (reduced somewhat of course) unto themselves means the durability of your other characters doesn't matter. But it means your Beast better survive whatever it is it taking, if it doesn't and the rest of your team is too squishy, goodbye! The Protector allows the damage (reduced of course), be spread out, so it's less likely a single character will take a fatal amount. But everyone may end up to taking some damage, so nobody better be so fragile that even a Guard skill can't keep them alive.

Ah, okay. So they basically fill the "provoke tank" role. I see!
Can it equip heavy armor to support potentially taking multiple hits?

I think it's a fair tradeoff, all damage for one, or some damage for all? Team composition may favor one or the other.

Agreed. The tradeoff seems fair. Especially since the reduce damage to the entire group skill of the Protector is quite costly in the MP department.
Makes me wonder what would happen if you were to use both. Though I imagine that could be a little counterintuitive/-productive.

My sympathies, the moles were evil!

That one quest where you have to kill multiple groups of them (I think you had to kill 25 or something in total) and practically every encounter was just them was my nightmares come to life.

Edited by DragonFlames

Happy birthday @Shrimperor!

----

I seen Steve's moveset for smash and I gotta say... while his attacks look alright, I think his mobility is going to drag him down a lot.

Speed is just too vital in Smash Ultimate overall. Sure there are few exceptions (I'm looking at you, Snake) but like Hero, I think it'll be a deciding factor for him. That's my guess, anyways.

HIjXY8A.png

6 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Happy birthday @Shrimperor!

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I seen Steve's moveset for smash and I gotta say... while his attacks look alright, I think his mobility is going to drag him down a lot.

Speed is just too vital in Smash Ultimate overall. Sure there are few exceptions (I'm looking at you, Snake) but like Hero, I think it'll be a deciding factor for him. That's my guess, anyways.

The Blocks will help him alot though

Especially in edge guarding

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

The Blocks will help him alot though

Especially in edge guarding

Maybe, but what about in rushdown situations? Characters like Roy/Pika/Zss etc, are gonna fuck him up... hard.

Well, Pika fucks everyone up, so i suppose that's irrelevant though. XD

Edited by lightcosmo

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

in 10 days we shall see xD

Consider this: The entire game is based around having speed.

No landing lag? Speed.

Fast opening Frames? Speed.

High air speed/walk run speed? Speed.

Lower endlag? Speed. 

The things that are important to a character are almost always geared towards speed. Sure, there are some things like range or combo potential, but these are integral to a character standing out.

Don't forget that running away and simply being harder to pin down are based around speed as well.

Edited by lightcosmo

6 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Man, hearing about Smash makes me wish I still had my copy.

But then I remember the lag.

And I contentedly go back to playing Project M and Melee.

PM has speed designed with an actual weakness, which is what Ultimate desperately needs right now.

Fast characters in PM are generally going to be combo food. That's a real weakness, not they die a teeny bit earlier, only for that negative to be negated by high speed making killing blows seriously hard to land. They also tend to have pretty poor recoveries.

For example, Marth has an air speed of 0.2, that's next to nothing. Once he's off stage, he isn't coming back. That's how it should be. Now in Smash U, he has

1.071. The difference is huge. This makes his recovery sooo much better, off air speed alone. They should lower this to make recovery more difficult again, so they aren't free/safe.

And, for Marths absurd offence, his recovery is rightfully crap in Melee/PM/

Edited by lightcosmo