• Replies 178.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

As the resident Edelgard fanatic, I choose not to engage in the Edelgardian discourse.

...For now

12 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You trying to piece together how to roleplay sounds both difficult to think out, yet fun.😄 -At least writing it out. Who knows how it'll go putting it into practice?😆

Yeah I have no idea how I'm gonna do it but I'll bloody well will try.

20 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

If Adrestia is the US, does that make Brigid like... what, Puerto Rico? Probably more the Philippines I guess.

The real question is...

What is Almyra?

16 minutes ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

…It was in the a time before alcohol, a time before the nectar of the gods soothed my dead soul…

You were made before the invention of alcohol? Damn. What was it like back then'

11 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

As the resident Edelgard fanatic, I choose not to engage in the Edelgardian discourse.

...For now

Quetzal suffering trying to cope with the fact that his waifu would be the flag-saluting, gun-toting, P A T R I O T I C type

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The real question is...

What is Almyra?

My gut answer is Iraq and the various wars between the Alliance and Almyra being like the gulf wars.

Though that's Leicester not Adrestia.

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Quetzal suffering trying to cope with the fact that his waifu would be the flag-saluting, gun-toting, P A T R I O T I C type

It's hilarious really, it started off as a joke but Edelgard has really grown on me, she's definitely my favorite antagonist of the series so far in that she's like only antagonist who isn't just a generically evil forgettable bad guy.

Lyon is close but his whole thing gets overshadowed by the fact that he's possessed by the real big bad.

But you know what, fuck it, I'm diving straight in.

Is Edelgard really American? She always came across to me like one of those dipshit tankies who calls themselves a Stalinist and unironically thinks there needs to be a violent revolution right now to install a vanguard dictatorship.

Personally I feel like the American comparison fits more with the Leicester Alliance, as it's the only country with an elective monarchy and they like to butt heads and be really racist towards their mid-eastern neighbors.

5 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

It's hilarious really, it started off as a joke but Edelgard has really grown on me, she's definitely my favorite antagonist of the series so far in that she's like only antagonist who isn't just a generically evil forgettable bad guy.

I wouldn't say the only one. Arvis is also up there. Heck, Arvis is more or less the inspiration behind Edelgard.

6 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

My gut answer is Iraq and the various wars between the Alliance and Almyra being like the gulf wars.

Though that's Leicester not Adrestia.

My first thought was Cuba, because island, but Iraq does fit them better, probably.

6 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Lyon is close but his whole thing gets overshadowed by the fact that he's possessed by the real big bad.

When I say Lyon is my favorite villain in the series, I mean Ephraim route Lyon. You never did play Ephraim route, did you?

7 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

But you know what, fuck it, I'm diving straight in.

Is Edelgard really American? She always came across to me like one of those dipshit tankies who calls themselves a Stalinist and unironically thinks there needs to be a violent revolution right now to install a vanguard dictatorship.

Personally I feel like the American comparison fits more with the Leicester Alliance, as it's the only country with an elective monarchy and they like to butt heads and be really racist towards their mid-eastern neighbors.

That's a very good point. The Alliance is even a conglomerate of states.

...Though that brings up a vital question: Who does that make Acheron?

54 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You were made before the invention of alcohol? Damn. What was it like back then'

…it was like a dream, so vague yet something I could also grasp in my very hands. But so long as the eidolon named Night wills it I can not hold it, and it fades as if I myself was a shadow living among shadows…

12 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I wouldn't say the only one. Arvis is also up there. Heck, Arvis is more or less the inspiration behind Edelgard.

I have no idea who that is but I'll take your word for it

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

When I say Lyon is my favorite villain in the series, I mean Ephraim route Lyon. You never did play Ephraim route, did you?

I did but I don't remember it as much as Eirika's route.

Lyon does do the do on his own free will which is nice but I don't remember everything about it, I don't even recall his motivations for doing it exactly beyond wanting to save his dad.

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's a very good point. The Alliance is even a conglomerate of states.

And the comparisons don't end there. For example the characters.

Hilda is definitely the stereotypical white Scal girl. She's lazy, is casually racist without knowing it, and has a very narrow view of the world.

Raphael being the big beefy guy who eats at American chain restaurants and works out at the gym makes too much sense.

Leonie is like your typical goddess fearing country gal. She likes to hunt for sport and is up to her neck in student loan dept, which is very American.

Marianne is depressed and living in this country sure is fucking depressing.

Lorenz is totally one of those "Trickle down economics is totally real guys" rich people.

Claude is a second generation immigrant gay theater kid. Wants to end racial discrimination and everyone thinks he's Latino for some reason

Lysithea is one of those poor kids who thinks all they need to do to make it in this country is work hard and be honest but soon finds out the country never accommodated for her autism.

Idk what Ignatz is. He's like a femboy or something, the twink to Raphael's twonk.

50 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Well, there's certainly groups in the political spectrum of the US that are fantasising about a new civil war to purge all those darn woke liberal SJWs.

So what I'm saying, Edelgard is basically Trump.

Spoiler

Obligatory reminder that I really don't know 3H's plot and only know Edelgard's appearance at the very start of the game, when everybody is still buddies, more or less.

Spoiler

Didn't Edelgard take the tile or pseudonym "Flame Emperor"? Or am I confusing her with somebody else? Because naming himself "Emperor" is totally a Trump move, if he believed he could get away with it.

17 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Lorenz is totally one of those "Trickle down economics is totally real guys" rich people.

I think Lorenz is more the naive-ish idealist guy who believes the phrase "All Men are Created Equal" is what it is, while everybody else is flaunting their slaves because "All Men" only referred to their kind of men.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

was going to comment on that, but didn't, the round hat looked Chinese.

Yeah and they kept the design mostly the same in the expanded universe. He called himself the Mandarin in this one

The_Nightmare_Fair_Big_Finish_Story_Art.

The Nightmare Fair. An audio drama based on the cancelled Sixth Doctor episode in which the Toymaker was supposed to come back. Financial troubles led to the BBC instead running a Doctor Who legal drama arc called The Trial of a Time-Lord, in which the Time-Lords accuse the Doctor of several crimes (this is all a plot by The Master and an amalgamation of The Doctor's darkest sides called The Valeyard).

They also kept the design in one of the Twelfth Doctor comics

Toymaker_wins.JPG.jpg

I can't tell but they might've tried to make him actually Asian instead of just a Brit dressing like one. There wasn't really any other design for the guy at the time so that's why the redesign didn't happen until now. Tbf, the character is like a reality god, he can look however he likes.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Basically everyone?

Yes but American eagles are the best eagles. So good we adopted their cry as our own (what is a red-tailed hawk?) /s

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

If Adrestia is the US, does that make Brigid like... what, Puerto Rico? Probably more the Philippines I guess.

The one Brigidian character we ever seen has indigenous vibes (at least that's what they were going for I think). Either works, a lot of Puerto Ricans don't know English so it fits with Petra not knowing the continental language.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The real question is...

What is Almyra

Canada. Just like Almyrans hyperventilate at the Fodlan border, Canadians hyperventilate at the American border.

1 hour ago, GuardianSing said:

Lyon is close but his whole thing gets overshadowed by the fact that he's possessed by the real big bad

In one route.

39 minutes ago, gnip said:

Well, there's certainly groups in the political spectrum of the US that are fantasising about a new civil war to purge all those darn woke liberal SJWs.

So what I'm saying, Edelgard is basically Trump.

Reveal hidden contents

Obligatory reminder that I really don't know 3H's plot and only know Edelgard's appearance at the very start of the game, when everybody is still buddies, more or less.

Reveal hidden contents

Didn't Edelgard take the tile or pseudonym "Flame Emperor"? Or am I confusing her with somebody else? Because naming himself "Emperor" is totally a Trump move, if he believed he could get away with it.

That's a funny comparison but not entirely accurate.

Edelgard's whole deal is that she's chasing after the church and conservative members of society who want to keep the status quo. Trump is a God fearing American, Edelgard's route ends with her killing god...or at least god's child.

And while declaring herself Emperor is a very trump thing to do I'd argue it's also a very authoritarian communist thing to do, like she's their glorious leader and everything.

And to discuss stuff that requires some story spoilers, well...

Spoiler

I don't fully trust the fascist comparison either, she's an authoritarian absolute monarch sure, but so is the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus, and even if the Alliance is an elective monarchy it's still a monarchy, she's not that much more authoritarian than the baby girls Dimitri and Claude. Claude himself become king of Almyra at the end of his route.

The major difference is that Edelgard seeks to be the sole authority of the entire continent, not just her nation. That could definitely be seen as Fascist but nothing in Edelgard's motivations or attitude tells me she really harbors a national or racial superiority over the others, quite the opposite really as various text of hers says that she believes in the acceptance of different cultures and an end to Fodlan's isolation.

In fact, Adrestia feels like the only country out of the three that doesn't have a huge racism problem like the other two. The HKF has beef with people from Duscur and through Dudue we can see how much of the kingdom hates his people and culture. Similarly, the Leicester Alliance is famously bigoted towards Almyrans with Claude's whole deal being that he wants to end that racial discrimination.

You'd think Adrestia would be the same with Brigid and Dagda but I haven't seen much material that says Adrestians are bigoted towards those people. There isn't any supports that I know of that talk about hating characters like Petra or Shamir for their cultural heritage, just their political influence. Petra is a hostage in the Empire to keep Brigid from rebelling though that's a politically motivated decision that doesn't seem to have anything to do with ideas of race superiority. Though Edelgard seems somewhat indifferent to the colonization of Brigid, by the end of her route she does give independence to the country with Petra as the leader, so she clearly doesn't care that much if Adrestians are in control of that place. Shamir talks about how she hates the government of Adrestia but not the people.

There is one moment I can think of that could outline Edelgard as a fascist. At the very beginning if you say that your loyalty lies with Adrestia, Edelgard will casually remark that "The rest of the kingdoms are just offshoots of the Empire, but sadly it has fallen from glory in recent years" which is a very nationalistic and fascist thing to say but considering literally everything else she does and says, it honestly feels out of character.

So I wouldn't call Edelgard a fascist. I would just call her a pragmatic authoritarian. She still believes in hierarchy but she believes in putting people in higher positions of power on the basis of merit as opposed to race and class, the "right" people being in power essentially.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

In one route.

Doesn't he still get possessed and thrown away at the end anyways? Correct me if I'm wrong.

2 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Doesn't he still get possessed and thrown away at the end anyways? Correct me if I'm wrong.

He's definitely possessed in both routes. But iirc, on Ephraim's route he's still doing things willingly up until the end, while on Eirika's route, most of the "Lyon" we see outside of flashbacks is Fomortiis tricking Eirika. Of course, the routes then fully converge with Lyon being killed in battle, which brings out the real Fomortiis.

--

Can't really make a non-meme contribution to the Edelgardiscourse, of course, but I appreciate the write-up. I should see if there's a good LP on youtube some day - it seems unlikely that Deltre is going to make another comeback after three years. :(: (It's a shame about his Lunatic Awakening LP, too, I really liked that one)

3 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Trump is a God fearing American, Edelgard's route ends with her killing god...or at least god's child.

Edelgard only had a problem with how Rhea ran things, not so much the Seiros Church itself. She herself simply reforms the Church in Crimson Flower, not disband it. In Three Hopes she even resurrects the defunct Southern Church, but now following an Empire-approved doctrine than Rhea's.

Re-Boot Green Skies and Seas:

Spoiler

2023092320424500-s-1.jpg

The Green Earth liberation campaign begins with pitting the Eagle against the Hawke.

2023092320425400-s-1.jpg2023092320425700-s-1.jpg2023092320432100-s-1.jpg2023092320432600-s-1.jpg

Not much to comment on here.🥱

2023092320435600-s-1.jpg2023092320440200-s-1.jpg2023092320440600-s-1.jpg2023092320441600-s-2.jpg2023092320442100-s-1.jpg2023092320442500-s-1.jpg2023092320442700-s-1.jpg2023092320443200-s-1.jpg2023092320443800-s-1.jpg2023092320444100-s-1.jpg2023092320444400-s-1.jpg2023092320444800-s-1.jpg2023092320445000-s-1.jpg

Neat hearing the Green grunts speak their minds. It's what Eagle would want to hear, not like they're begging him not to do this. But still, it's a dash of the common man (and woman- the generic with a little blonde hair showing is female-voiced), and that's nice.

2023092320450500-s-1.jpg2023092320451300-s-1.jpg

It’s all air units for Eagle here, nothing else. Protect the Bombers, so they can destroy the 8 Mini Cannons to win. Be mindful of the largely immobile enemy AA and Missile units, and the Mini Cannons. Use your Fighters to destroy Hawke’s handful of unintelligent Fighters. Your own B Copters and the enemy's alike are of secondary relevance.

2023092320453400-s-1.jpg

Eagle’s day-to-day abilities are the same as AW1. +15 Firepower, +10 Defense, -2 Fuel cost per turn for all air units. His naval Firepower malus has actually increased, to -30 from -20, but when would someone use Eagle on a naval-heavy no-air map?

Unlike everyone else, Eagle’s AW1 CO Power became his AW2 Super CO Power. Lightning Strike is extremely expensive, but a second turn for everything not a foot soldier -and no longer with a Firepower & Defense penalty as in AW1- is wicked!

2023092320455400-s-1.jpg2023092320460200-s-1.jpg

Hawke, Sturm’s second-in-command. He is the least fought non-Sturm CO in Black Hole Rising. Showing up in the Green Earth section of the campaign, and only Drake fights him in both of his exclusive missions.

Design-wise, I think Hawke has been drawn among the least well by WayForward, I think he simply leans too much toward grittiness to be portrayed too cartoony.

Hawke's personality in BHR is quiet, serious, extremely self-confident, none of Lash’s or Adder’s vocalized exaggeration. Hawke is kinda boring.😴 Although at least Hawke in AW2 hasn’t committed the crime he will in Dual Strike- letting angst into Advance Wars.

Gameplay? +10 Firepower to all units, small, yet universal and without drawbacks, a befitting sign of his natural superiority. His CO Powers are overpriced, but damage and a little healing aren’t bad. A solid CO.

2023092320490600-s-1.jpg2023092320540000-s-1.jpg

Days 2 and 3.

2023092320514800-s-1.jpg

???🤔

Hawke had a full CO Power meter, yet didn’t use it? Was it because none of his units were injured? My gain. When he did use it, it was too late to make a difference.

Day 4 dawns...

2023092321010700-s-1.jpg2023092321040600-s-1.jpg

The time is now!

2023092321041400-s-1.jpg2023092321042000-s-1.jpg

Second actions for everyone!

2023092321073700-s-1.jpg

Beautiful.

2023092321082100-s-1.jpg

The mosquito bites.

2023092321094200-s-1.jpg

Victory.

2023092321100700-s-1.jpg2023092321100200-s-1.jpg2023092321101000-s-1.jpg2023092321101400-s-1.jpg2023092321102000-s-1.jpg2023092321102500-s-1.jpg

While an easy map really, Sea Fortress isn’t too shabby. I like it conceptually, it’s basically an old-fashioned air raid like WWII had (minus the sometimes-issue of a civilian population getting bombed).

2023092321112000-s-1.jpg

Heading south, it's time for Drake to lose the initiative.

2023092321113800-s-1.jpg2023092321114200-s-1.jpg2023092321115100-s-1.jpg2023092321122300-s-1.jpg2023092321125500-s-1.jpg2023092321125800-s-1.jpg2023092321130600-s-1.jpg2023092321134200-s-1.jpg2023092321214400-s-1.jpg

I trimmed out a lot, nothing of note.

2023092321134700-s-1.jpg2023092321141200-s-1.jpg2023092321175900-s-1.jpg

Drake’s Dilemma is a rather weak mission. Rather than a grand naval battle, Drake gets stuck roleplaying as a beached whale.🤨

Those Cruisers, worthless, as the enemy has no air units and the sole airport unclaimed sits is on the island Drake is stuck on. The Submarines are useful solely for vision purposes, as the enemy has no ports (it might eventually get one at the bottom of the map) and no naval units. Drake is surrounded on all sides by Rockets and Artilleries ready to strike from the darkness.

To win, all you need to do is destroy the two Black Cannons. And to do that, all you need to is sail two Battleships down the inlet to the open waters at the bottom of the map to shoot them, sticking to the reefs and blind spots in the stationary indirects’ ranges.

Drake and Kanbei can mess around with Hawke’s land army in the meanwhile. Hawke has almost no access to deployment facilities and a rather small mobile force. By the time you’ve finished this mission, you probably won’t have left the southeast corner of this map. The rest of this huge battlefield is utterly superfluous. Wasteful design.😑

2023092321341300-s-1.jpg

Drat! I got one of the two battleships I was sending south sunk. That greatly delays my inevitable victory, which happens on Day 12. That felt like a while, probably because I wasn't enjoying this.

2023092322071200-s-1.jpg

Nothing to comment on. Hawke leaves quietly, Drake and Kanbei joyously celebrate together.

2023092322075900-s-1.jpg

That Power score.😡 The cause for my only B rank so far. Blame it on a lot of enemies and Drake simply struggling to get kills. Now I realize I should’ve let most of the Subs and Cruisers get dinged up, so I could join them with the other ones, converting excess HP into funds for more land units to help Kanbei and build up the Power rating. Nonsensical perhaps, but this mission gives me no other use for them. I'll redo this later.

The concept of being surrounded on an island isn’t a inherently a bad one. -This just wasn’t how it should be done. Drake is encircled, but not under a more active, entertaining siege, enemies don't come at him at all. And slipping out Battleships to win is too easy, it doesn’t feel like a real, daring break of the enemy’s vicious encirclement.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

Tbf, the character is like a reality god, he can look however he likes.

And I kinda like that in deities/pseudo-deities.😀 Lucifer in SMT has been over the decades a young man, an old man, a little boy, female forms too; and I've liked that mutability of form.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Estoy arto de la gente hoy. 

3 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

The major difference is that Edelgard seeks to be the sole authority of the entire continent, not just her nation

Tbf this happens to all of them regardless. Faregus and Leicester do exist at the end of Azure Moon but, well, the Adrestrian royal bloodline is extinct (unless Edelgard fucked off screen or something) so Dimitri rules two thirds of the continent. Same thing in Golden Wind, Claude becomes leader of the continent cause everyone else is dead. In Silver Snow, it's Byleth (Claude is still around tho).

Three Houses, for all it's "political nuance" people like to talk about, really ends with one guy in charge of everything regardless of outcome (on the continent).

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Tbf this happens to all of them regardless. Faregus and Leicester do exist at the end of Azure Moon but, well, the Adrestrian royal bloodline is extinct (unless Edelgard fucked off screen or something) so Dimitri rules two thirds of the continent. Same thing in Golden Wind, Claude becomes leader of the continent cause everyone else is dead. In Silver Snow, it's Byleth (Claude is still around tho).

Three Houses, for all it's "political nuance" people like to talk about, really ends with one guy in charge of everything regardless of outcome (on the continent).

Just for clarification, Leicester actually stopped existing in AM as well. Claude disbands the Alliance and gives it back to Faerghus (as Leicester was originally Kingdom territory to begin with).

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

Just for clarification, Leicester actually stopped existing in AM as well. Claude disbands the Alliance and gives it back to Faerghus (as Leicester was originally Kingdom territory to begin with).

Ok so Three Houses really is the Manifest Destiny game huh.

Just now, Armagon said:

Ok so Three Houses really is the Manifest Destiny game huh.

It's the Unified Kingdom of Archanea all over again, pretty much.

Well, it plays to how much homages TH does to the Warring States period of China. Adrestia used to rule the entire continent before the Kingdom split off, and then the Alliance split-off from the Kingdom. Then it gets reunified in TH. Perhaps some time down the road the continent splits up again, then reunifies, splits up, reunifies... and so on, before falling to Communist revolt while a Republic of Fodlan survives in Brigid. Then they fight over who is the legitimate Fodlan government.