• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

With those noodly limbs? She's more likely to break them hitting me. I don't care what the game says her strength is, she has the build of a generic anime supermodel. Cowardly character designers, afraid of making her "unattractive" in the eyes of the moneymakers.

I am unimpressed. Give me something better

What about her mother

Monica.png?ex=651596f2&is=65144572&hm=1d

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Fighting, and there's the leek, haha.

fighting.jpg

This one's actually the hardest one they've done.

I still don't understand how Canada monumentally fucked up like that bruh. How do you not do a background check?

This has been making the air waves for a couple of days but for those who don't know, Canada's parliament or whatever gave a big round of applause to a Ukrainian WW2 vet who uh.....fought with the Nazis. Thus feeding into Putin's propaganda that all this is because Ukraine is a Nazi nation.

Now the Speaker of the House is resigning apparently.

27 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, I sass-tried.

We sassin'

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:

What about her mother

Monica.png?ex=651596f2&is=65144572&hm=1d

Same problem. They seem like they should be strong, they do things that imply strength, they carry heavy stuff, but then you look at their arms and their legs and their general build and they look like they haven't lifted a finger in their entire lives. I get that nobody likes hyper-realism, but I really would appreciate if these warrior women were allowed to at least look like they could possibly lift those things, dammit. #JusticeForBuffGirls.

...That being said, I do kinda like her design. It's fine, not super remarkable but I've always talked about how I like more grounded designs. In a game with 14 character teams or something like that, with no other factors taken into account, I could see myself using her, provided there aren't too many old ladies / actually strong ladies / bearded men / walking memes to knock her out. And her daughter, for the record, I love cool hairdos like the one she has. Just kind of a shame they make them lug around massive slabs of iron but their arms look like they'd shatter if I flicked them with my finger.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I still don't understand how Canada monumentally fucked up like that bruh. How do you not do a background check?

This has been making the air waves for a couple of days but for those who don't know, Canada's parliament or whatever gave a big round of applause to a Ukrainian WW2 vet who uh.....fought with the Nazis. Thus feeding into Putin's propaganda that all this is because Ukraine is a Nazi nation.

Now the Speaker of the House is resigning apparently.

Yeah, read about that.

Which just shows you how complicated and messy history can be. Fresh from the Holodomor, even the Nazis would look appealing to support... and some certainly did, even when it came to light the Ukrainians themselves were just more Slavs to remove for the Lebensraum.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

24 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

They seem like they should be strong, they do things that imply strength, they carry heavy stuff, but then you look at their arms and their legs and their general build and they look like they haven't lifted a finger in their entire lives

Honestly I think it's usually an art/stylization thing because outside from outright drawing muscle, identifying the thickness of the arms and legs isn't always as straightforward. Unless you were saying they should draw outright muscle.

24 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That being said, I do kinda like her design. It's fine, not super remarkable but I've always talked about how I like more grounded designs.

Xenoblade 3 designs for the most part are pretty grounded.

There's actually an interesting thing I noticed, most of the girls have short hair. Why? Cause almost every party member in this game is a soldier and long hair would get in the way. Anyone who does have long hair usually ties it up or is in a position where the hair wouldn't get in the way.

Noah and Matthew also have long hair and they tie it up too. Anyone who does have long hair and has it loose is done to show "age" I think. That's how I see it.

22 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Which just shows you how complicated and messy history can be. Fresh from the Holodomor, even the Nazis would look appealing to support... and some certainly did, even when it came to light the Ukrainians themselves were just more Slavs to remove for the Lebensraum.

It was either side with the Nazis or remain under Soviet oppression if what I was read was right. And I get that most Nazis were just random foot soliders. "I was just following orders" is not a valid defense at all but the Nuremberg trials did target mainly people who were in a position to give orders.

I also heard the account that Arnold Schwarzenegger's dad was in the SS and he talks about how when his dad came home from the war, he saw how the hate just destroyed him.

I don't want this to come out the wrong way so just to clarify, it's possible and likely many former Nazi soldiers repented and tried to make amends in the years after the war, especially ones who weren't Germans, hence the "messy and complicated history" I think. @Shrimpy -Limited Edition- @gnip since you guys are Germans maybe you can provide some more details. I know Germany really hammers down how bad the Nazis were but what does it say about the life of the average soldier and during and after?

Anyways point being, Canada absolutely should've still done a background check. If you wanted to praise a Ukrainian veteran, a more recent one would've probably been better because even if that 90 something year old man reformed, it's not a good look. Now you got Poland on your ass.

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Fighting, and there's the leek, haha.

fighting.jpg

Not what I was expecting for the Poke or the design, more weaponry and less fisticuffs than I would've imagined. But good for the for allium 'mon!

7 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And Max said the Blue Moon boys were dysfunctional.

Some would say jealousy is fine -if it contributes towards self-improvement. Only becomes a problem if ends up tearing down/sabotaging/killing others and or oneself.

And Drake is there so reason to worry not.😀

Okay no but really they made Lash way too awesome in the remake.

Indeed, she's good. I had to agree with her earlier critiques of Hawke.😄

Kind of feels like they just threw him here so he gets a bit more late screentime.

True. Though it is nice that he still gets screentime + is doing stuff -he isn't an FE bandit boss who dies after a few chapters- and contributes to intra-Black Hole banter. Flak might not be the smartest CO around, which he knows, but he actually might be the most ordinary, not even that evil really.

Cowardly character designers, afraid of making her "unattractive" in the eyes of the moneymakers.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much of a happy medium exists. I mean I've seen this:

781e00d688cd77c810f4008fadb1187e.jpg

...But it's obviously exaggerated outside of the realm of realism. To the point of fetishization, which isn't good either.

34 minutes ago, Armagon said:

On the positive side, Canada is lightly highlighting India's descent into illiberal democracy.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

On the positive side, Canada is lightly highlighting India's descent into illiberal democracy.

Yeah I'm still not entirely sure what's going on there? India assassinated a guy, Canada is like "you shouldn't have done that" and now both countries expelled their diplomats or some shit.

The US will remedy probably. Can't have our allies bicker amongst themselves. Same goes for Poland and Ukraine.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Unless you were saying they should draw outright muscle.

Yes. I am saying that.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

There's actually an interesting thing I noticed, most of the girls have short hair. Why? Cause almost every party member in this game is a soldier and long hair would get in the way. Anyone who does have long hair usually ties it up or is in a position where the hair wouldn't get in the way.

That is a neat detail. I will give 'em that much.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Some would say jealousy is fine -if it contributes towards self-improvement. Only becomes a problem if ends up tearing down/sabotaging/killing others and or oneself.

And Drake's there so reason to worry not.😀

All is well in the world, so long as Drake is there.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

True. Though it is nice that he still gets screentime + is doing stuff -he isn't an FE bandit boss who dies after a few chapters- and contributes to intra-Black Hole banter. Flak might not be the smartest CO around, which he knows, but he actually might be the most ordinary, not even that evil really.

Flak just wants to get shit done and get out. He's the kinda guy that leaves the office at the exact moment the shift ends, zero attempts at currying favor with the bosses, "I just want my pay" mentality. He'll raise a half-hearted objection if his superiors do something unbelievably dumb, but he can't muster the energy to really push against them. He's just a guy. Probably has a family back home he needs to provide for.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much of a happy medium exists.

Not enough, I can tell you that much!

I mean I've seen this:

781e00d688cd77c810f4008fadb1187e.jpg

...But it's obviously exaggerated outside of the realm of realism. To the point of fetishization, which isn't good either.

Okay, no, uh, yeah that's uh... no. This ain't it chief.

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yes. I am saying that.

I know there's cases of it in anime I can list. But in video games specifically, outside of the occasional abs, not too much tbh.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

I know there's cases of it in anime I can list. But in video games specifically, outside of the occasional abs, not too much tbh.

Obviously there are cases, I've seen cases too, but if they were more commonplace, the world would be a much better place. As it is, though, I take what I can and headcanon slightly toned girls into being buff.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

@Shrimpy -Limited Edition- @gnip since you guys are Germans maybe you can provide some more details. I know Germany really hammers down how bad the Nazis were but what does it say about the life of the average soldier and during and after?

Not as much of a focus, I don't think, but it does come up. I remember that our school invited a WW2 veteran (although he was stationed with anti-air in Germany, not in an invading army), but I think the biggest exposure I got to the topic at school was actually in Literature class: Draußen vor der Tür / The Man Outside is a theatrical play told from the perspective of a man coming home from war captivity. But generally speaking, the war itself isn't the biggest focus of the lessons, more how the Nazis were able to come to power (weaknesses of the Weimar republic, the power of propaganda - here's another piece of literature I remember, English class this time) and of course their crimes.

20 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah I'm still not entirely sure what's going on there? India assassinated a guy, Canada is like "you shouldn't have done that" and now both countries expelled their diplomats or some shit.

Honestly, I'm not quite sure myself if the man who expressed separatism beliefs regarding those northwestern Pakistan-China border provinces, presented any real threat. ...But I'm predisposed to distrust anything the BJP says, and this would be evidence of the party becoming more autocratic and emboldened to ignore the rule of law. ...And even if the man was a threat, why not ask the Canadian authorities to approve an arrest and then take the guy home to be charged in a court of law?🤨 

20 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The US will remedy probably. Can't have our allies bicker amongst themselves. Same goes for Poland and Ukraine.

It seems even the Polish, who would be next on Russia's list after a quick Baltic appetizer, are starting to get fatigued with the war. There's an election coming up Poland is still a democracy? and it seems like the government's announcement of dwindling support was a campaign move, to be reversed after the election ends, but the Polish people probably wouldn't want Ukraine aid to return to pre-election levels.

17 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

He's just a guy. Probably has a family back home he needs to provide for.

Flak does look like he could be someone's late-40s/early-50s-something uncle. One who enjoys cracking open few beers on the weekend and low-brow humor, he might not exactly get along with his cosmopolitan niece politically, but not necessarily a terrible person. Fairly ordinary, which none of the other four COs of BH are.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Flak does look like he could be someone's late-40s/early-50s-something uncle. One who enjoys cracking open few beers on the weekend and low-brow humor, he might not exactly get along with his cosmopolitan niece politically, but not necessarily a terrible person. Fairly ordinary, which none of the other four COs of BH are.

Dammit now you've got me thinking what the Black Moon's political stances would be. Flak kinda gives me the vibe of a dude that doesn't really care until it affects his salary / work conditions / promise of pension. So basically, he hates Current Government. Lash is probably an anarchist. Adder is Adder. Hawke is definitely a nazi.

30 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Not what I was expecting for the Poke or the design, more weaponry and less fisticuffs than I would've imagined. But good for the for allium 'mon!

Well, to a degree it makes sense. For long Miku has been associated with Farfetch'd, due to the leek. So if not used for Flying or Normal, then Galarian Farfetch'd being Fighting type gives a third option.

They're even hyping up the Sonic Screwdriver. I like how it gets more complex with each version.

7 minutes ago, gnip said:

Not as much of a focus, I don't think, but it does come up. I remember that our school invited a WW2 veteran (although he was stationed with anti-air in Germany, not in an invading army), but I think the biggest exposure I got to the topic at school was actually in Literature class: Draußen vor der Tür / The Man Outside is a theatrical play told from the perspective of a man coming home from war captivity. But generally speaking, the war itself isn't the biggest focus of the lessons, more how the Nazis were able to come to power (weaknesses of the Weimar republic, the power of propaganda - here's another piece of literature I remember, English class this time) and of course their crimes.

I see. I checked the summaries for both. I have heard when Hitler killed himself, the average German citizens was like "Hitler who?", exaggerating but the point is that there was a wave of indifference for the average person. So I can see how that contributed to the isolation of the actual soldiers who came home. They didn't come home to a defeated country (well physically they did), they came home to a completely different one. At least that's how I can see it.

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It seems even the Polish, who would be next on Russia's list after a quick Baltic appetizer, are starting to get fatigued with the war

It's a bit interesting cause I read recently that Poland is trying to become the strongest military power in Europe. Makes sense, given Russia's aggression but they're probably tired of just helping someone else. 

I did also read that the longer the war goes, the better chance Russia has. A longer war means Russia has more time to actually organize. Ukraine can only hold on for so long. 

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I did also read that the longer the war goes, the better chance Russia has. A longer war means Russia has more time to actually organize. Ukraine can only hold on for so long. 

I mean, signs point Russia is the one who can't hold out for long, hence why they're desperate to ensure Trump or at least the GOP wins in 2024. Sanctions and superior arms used by Ukraine are leaving their mark. While I no doubt Russia still has much left before actually collapsing, it's not as some are trying to paint it as.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Dammit now you've got me thinking what the Black Moon's political stances would be. Flak kinda gives me the vibe of a dude that doesn't really care until it affects his salary / work conditions / promise of pension. So basically, he hates Current Government. Lash is probably an anarchist. Adder is Adder. Hawke is definitely a nazi.

Sorry!😆

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

For long Miku has been associated with Farfetch'd, due to the leek.

???🤔 Is there something lost in translation I'm missing?

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Also- the West has real elections. While democratic governments can sustain unpopular policies abroad for some time, autocracies have a much freer policy hand in the long-term. Russia can wait for the Western coalition to break.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

the average German citizens was like "Hitler who?", exaggerating but the point is that there was a wave of indifference for the average person.

Reminds me what I read in college about Japanese views towards the Emperor after WWII. General Douglas MacArthur put in charge of the occupation was convinced the Emperor had to be spared for the Japanese people. What I read suggested that Japanese citizens just couldn't really be brought to care while they were trying to make ends meet on a daily basis in a postwar Japan.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

I mean, signs point Russia is the one who can't hold out for long, hence why they're desperate to ensure Trump or at least the GOP wins in 2024. Sanctions and superior arms used by Ukraine are leaving their mark. While I no doubt Russia still has much left before actually collapsing, it's not as some are trying to paint it as.

That's true. They also turned to North Korea of all people. Putin must be really desperate if he wants Kim's help.

GOP victory in 2024 would definitely doom Ukraine tho. One of the worst things Trump did is one not many talk about: the complete shift in foreign policy. Before, both Democrats and Republicans were generally on the same page on foreign policy. It was the one thing they seemed to agree on. Now our allies have to worry every few years about who's in charge.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

???🤔 Is there something lost in translation I'm missing?

Well, I think it's actually a green onion, but Miku tends to be portrayed holding one. Hence Farfetch'd, who also holds one.

What I read suggested that Japanese citizens just couldn't really be brought to care while they were trying to make ends meet on a daily basis in a postwar Japan.

The emperor was always more of a figurehead. When was the last time he had any real power? Japan's had emperors since the dawn of time apparently but that didn't stop the various warlords fighting each other. Japan wasn't a unified nation until relatively recently. Relative meaning a few centuries ago.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That's true. They also turned to North Korea of all people. Putin must be really desperate if he wants Kim's help.

GOP victory in 2024 would definitely doom Ukraine tho. One of the worst things Trump did is one not many talk about: the complete shift in foreign policy. Before, both Democrats and Republicans were generally on the same page on foreign policy. It was the one thing they seemed to agree on. Now our allies have to worry every few years about who's in charge.

Well, hope then the Military Industry make their opinion known about cutting off such a source of profit.

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, hope then the Military Industry make their opinion known about cutting off such a source of profit.

They're about to raise hell over the looming shutdown anyways.

They've been raising hell over Tuberville fucking with military promotions.