• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

The emperor was always more of a figurehead. When was the last time he had any real power? Japan's had emperors since the dawn of time apparently but that didn't stop the various warlords fighting each other. 

I'm not sure if the emperors from Meiji through WWII held any real power. The Taisho Emperor, Emperor Meiji's son, suffered from serious health complications (*checks* brain/spinal inflammation practically at birth, how sad), so I doubt he played much if any role in politics. The Meiji Emperor himself, also fairly doubtful, and the Showa Emperor before/during WWII...well I'm not familiar with that, at all.

Prior to that, maybe the Kenmu Restoration? Which is when Emperor Go-Daigo overthrew the Kamakura Bakufu/Shogunate. The Kenmu Restoration lasted only from 1333-1336, when the leader of the Ashikaga samurai clan betrayed and overthrew Go-Daigo and established the Ashikaga Shogunate.

Prior to Go-Daigo, perhaps the late Heian period (looks like this era of "Cloistered Rule" would be from 1073-1185). During which emperors would retire and then enter a monastery, yet exert influence over politics while retired with their chosen successor now on the throne. There actually instances where you had two retired emperors at once.

Now prior to that? 

As I said before, the Heian period came to be dominated by the Fujiwara noble clan serving as the chancellors/prime ministers so to speak. Before Heian was the Nara period, before that Asuka, which is where the King of the Yamato first became at least the symbolic ruler of all of Japan as Emperor. Although the Yamato kingship was first established seemingly around 200~250AD in the prior Kofun period. The Yamato kingship ruled the western two-thirds of Honshu, as well as Shikoku. (Kyushu would be added in the 700s. The north/easternmost of part of Honshu would naturally be added as well in the late 700s, conquered from a now-defunct non-ethnically-Yamato/Japanese people known as the "Emishi". Hokkaido... the Ashikaga Shogunate is when Japanese/Yamato people start settling there, though Japan didn't take control over the entire island until Meiji. Prior to that, some southern settlements and indirect rule over the native Ainu further north on the island was all Japan did.)

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Japan wasn't a unified nation until relatively recently. Relative meaning a few centuries ago.

The idea of "Japan"/Wa/Nippon is quite old. The Chinese used the term "Wa" apparently back in the 200s AD, and during the 7th century AD, the Japanese themselves swapped over to "Nippon".

Now, unity? During the Asuka and Nara periods, so (593-794), you had the Ritsuryo administration. Which attempted to import Chinese centralized government and enact it across Japan.

Corruption and failures to maintain the Ritsuryo system meant it that during the Heian period (794-1185), Japan became increasingly decentralized. Yet the provinces didn't adamantly defy the edicts from Heian-kyo (now known as "Kyoto"), the nobles in the capital knew their hand was weakened, and didn't try to exert authority they didn't have. So Japan remained in a relatively peaceful state of gradual decentralization, even as the samurai class started growing in power and killing each other.

The Genpei War (1180-1185) ends with the Kamakura Bakufu/Shogunate, the first military/samurai government in Japan's history. Did Kamakura reunite the country? Not exactly a centralized efficient regime, no. However, after the short-lived Kenmu Restoration, the Ashikaga Shogunate (1336-1573) made the Kamakura look strong by retrospective comparison. The Ashikaga was politically the weakest of the three bakufus. After the Onin War (1467-1477), the Ashikaga was crippled yet endured and Japan entered the famed Sengoku- "Warring States" period.

1024px-Map_Japan_Genki1-en.svg.png

This is apparently Japan in 1570. Japan during its era of greatest disunity -albeit one that was approaching its end at this particular moment in time.

A decade earlier, in 1560, Nobunaga of the Oda clan began his rise to greatness as the first of Japan's Three Unifiers. He was the one who overthrew the Ashikaga in 1573, and continued fighting to unify the country until his death in 1582, after which his commoner-turned-general Hideyoshi (Hashiba was his clan's name until the emperor gave him the name Toyotomi) took over, and finished unifying all of Japan. Hideyoshi dies in 1598, and two years later the old but patient & cunning Ieyasu wins a very unexpectedly short war where he defeats the supporters of Hideyoshi's young son, Hideyori. 

Ieyasu kills Hideyori at Osaka in 1815, and thereby firmly establishes the rule of his Tokugawa/Edo(now known as Tokyo) Bakufu/Shogunate, 1600-1868. Japan enters centuries of peace and stability, the samurai stop fighting each other outside of an occasional duel. Although not as strong as a modern state, the Tokugawa Bakufu was the strongest of the three Japanese military/samurai governments. In 1853, Commodore Perry from America! sails in, and Early Modern Japanese history gives way to the start of Modern Japanese history in the Bakumatsu end years of the Tokugawa, which then give way to the Meiji Restoration.

But, bigger point, Japan/Nippon has existed as a country for over 1000 years, regardless of how centralized/decentralized the country internally was. I wouldn't quite call this the same as India or Italy, where you had a defined territory and some shared culture, but de facto independent governments, with the entire geography not unified under one government until the 1800s. I feel like the presence of the nominal imperial government makes a difference.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Ieyasu kills Hideyori at Osaka in 1815

Did you mean 1615 because otherwise these men were biologically immortal lmao.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But, bigger point, Japan/Nippon has existed as a country for over 1000 years, regardless of how centralized/decentralized the country internally was.

I see. So, if this comparison I'm about to make is accurate, it's like America pre-Civil War? Back then you weren't really "American" internally but rather Texan or Ohioan or Vermontian, etc. So for the various states within Japan, you were Japanese but more importantly, you were Shimazuan for example.

....how far Falcom has fallen...

How did we go from one of the most hype inducing OPs ever, to whatever is up there?

The Ys X OP alone halved my hype lmao

Or as someone i know said: "maybe there's a reason the Switch emulator version has zero audio atm...to spare us all"

2 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

Read Tsukihime

>available on mobile

I can finally read far side

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Is it free now?

As if you could ever get it legally outside japan

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

Now our allies have to worry every few years about who's in charge.

Russia made sure to put us in your huggy arms again 😛

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Is it free now?

1633513203.jpeg

You can even get a warning before H-scenes

8 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I can finally read far side

Enjoy!

Opera_Snapshot_2023-09-27_175747_twitter

This fucking show man. Only Doctor Who can take something from like half a century ago and make a new plot point out of it.

55 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Russia made sure to put us in your huggy arms again 😛

Russia *invades to stop NATO from expanding*

NATO: *expands in response to Russia*

Russia:

671.png?ex=6515f80f&is=6514a68f&hm=94222

I'm curious to see the NATO statistics now. This is 2022

14636.jpg

Germany was in third place. However, the latest statistics put them in 2nd now  but it doesn't show how much of that contributes to the 2% of total GDP requirement. That's a fairly recent rule but why they agree on it when most weren't gonna meet it? I'd imagine by now more are meeting that requirement.

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Oh god

the Ys X soundtrack is a freaking disaster AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Want good music?

This was unironically me.

1 hour ago, twilit said:

RIP in unforturonii

He's back!

36 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

image.png?ex=651599b2&is=65144832&hm=437

Aqua...?

What he mean by that?

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

it doesn't show how much of that contributes to the 2% of total GDP requirement. That's a fairly recent rule but why they agree on it when most weren't gonna meet it? 

The 2% isn't as much a requirement as a guideline, no? And even then it was set for 2025 afaik - correct me if i am wrong

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Want good music?

Was a pretty cool boss fight tbh - even if easy

What he mean by that?

IMG_20230927_181409.jpg?ex=6515984a&is=6

Not beating the allegations

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Russia *invades to stop NATO from expanding*

NATO: *expands in response to Russia*

Russia:

671.png?ex=6515f80f&is=6514a68f&hm=94222

In the end, Finland joining NATO didn't cause that much furore there. The whole NATO expansion was only an excuse.

7 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

And even then it was set for 2025 afaik - correct me if i am wrong

Yeah it was set for by 2025. But even then, it looks like some member states aren't even trying.  Some nations like France and Romania are close to the edge, so it's fine, whereas Spain and Belgium aren't doing much. And then there's Luxemburg. And then there's Iceland.

17 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

It was easy but the spectacle and music made up for it.

There's rematches in the Depths btw.

I also have two nickels because it's the second Wind Temple with a -gera boss at the end

The Wind Temple is not associated with the Rito in this game.

19 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

The 2% isn't as much a requirement as a guideline, no? And even then it was set for 2025 afaik - correct me if i am wrong

IMG_20230927_181409.jpg?ex=6515984a&is=6

Not beating the allegations

fbi-meme-fbi-open-up-memes.gif

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

There's rematches in the Depths btw.

Oh? Good to know!

I still have to explore the depths. Got some stuff there but leaving the most until i am a bit stronger. Maybe after i finish the Goron or something. Atm just exploring and reached Kakariko and Hateno yesterday.

Won't probably be able to play before weekend 😞

Fuck that Glide/Dive mission at the Tower near Hateno btw

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

fbi-meme-fbi-open-up-memes.gif

x2HiaLU.png

She was right.

Well

Real talk: Little girl is either possessed by some mythological being (Amenouzume? Yatagarasu?) or is a reincarnator

Crvxhm0.png

I vote Chuuni reincarnator

Aqua wanted to bait her into his movie. She took the bait.

b4Bjp5F.png

But yh the chapter does make for some good memes. Especially since it's a "Wtf" chapter because no one expected this to happen lol

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I see no problem.

bottom text

Anime bad is an occasionally valid response, after all.

bottom text

37 minutes ago, Armagon said:

He's back!

Oh hey.

Been around here and there, just mostly in the ban thread.

Haven't had too much to say.

---

On a Yakuza binge at the moment.

Picked up Kiwami and Kiwami 2 on sale a lil bit ago, played the hell out of the first and beat it last week. Onto Kiwami 2 already and having a grand 'ol time.

Might take a break after K2 but for now, I don't see myself slowing down for a while.

3 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Oh? Good to know!

Yeah. All of the dungeon bosses have three rematches each, each of which will reward you with 100 Energy Crystals. They respawn with the Blood Moon too but not the reward (though all but one of them drops unique fuse materials).

8 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Got some stuff there but leaving the most until i am a bit stronger

Yeah it's pretty tough at first cause it's basically Dark Souls down there.

But you did do the thing i told you about, right?

6 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Fuck that Glide/Dive mission at the Tower near Hateno btw

I love those, those were neat.

eah. All of the dungeon bosses have three rematches each, each of which will reward you with 100 Energy Crystals.

Nyaruhodo

But you did do the thing i told you about, right?

i actually forgot 😅

But i could maybe have done it during my big exploration yesterday. Can you tell me what it was again?

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I love those, those were neat.

First one i did was neat. 2nd one has one hell of a timer that one frame wrong you run out of time lol

Just now, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

But i could maybe have done it during my big exploration yesterday. Can you tell me what it was again?

The Depths under the Temple of Time in the Great Plateau. Big point of interest there. Get it ASAP if you haven't cause it'd make things a lot smoother down the line.

There is a quest that leads to it, you can get it from Josha. But i did it before she told me to do it lmao.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

The Depths under the Temple of Time in the Great Plateau. Big point of interest there. Get it ASAP if you haven't cause it'd make things a lot smoother down the line.

There is a quest that leads to it, you can get it from Josha. But i did it before she told me to do it lmao.

Ok thanks for the info! (again)

I will probably go to Josh after i finish stuff at the villages. So maybe she will point me towards it?