Japanese Fire Emblem Twitter posts

Crubat

so, just got around to watching the trailer and doing some analysis and.....Is it just me or does Blutgang look rather weak even for an effective weapon? In the portion where Etie is selecting her weapon, she only has 10 attack when using Blutgang, despite being level 19 in her current class. So either Blutgang has really low Mt, or her str stat is abysmal and the Steel Blade has an absurdly high Mt to compensate.

EDIT: It was brought to my attention magic damage weapons scaled with the magic stat in 3H. I genuinely forgot this due to not playing 3H much, so that could also explain the 10 attack. Still rather weak though.

Edited by Vexal

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Vexal said:

so, just got around to watching the trailer and doing some analysis and.....Is it just me or does Blutgang look rather weak even for an effective weapon? In the portion where Etie is selecting her weapon, she only has 10 attack when using Blutgang, despite being level 19 in her current class. So either Blutgang has really low Mt, or her str stat is abysmal and the Steel Blade has an absurdly high Mt to compensate.

EDIT: It was brought to my attention magic damage weapons scaled with the magic stat in 3H. I genuinely forgot this due to not playing 3H much, so that could also explain the 10 attack. Still rather weak though.

The Blutgang is a magic weapon. Considering who it was meant to be used by in 3H... yeah.

28 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

The Blutgang is a magic weapon. Considering who it was meant to be used by in 3H... yeah.

yeah, thats still best case scenario (for Etie) 10 Mt if at 0 magic, which feels rather weak for where the progression seems to be (37 hp, 6 mv class when we've seen horses with 5 mv, and level 19 in their current class). Like I'm sure Etie has some magic so its likely less than 10 Mt, which is weirdly low for both that point in the game, and considering the weapon is only available for a few turns at a time

Edited by Vexal

2 minutes ago, Vexal said:

yeah, thats still best case scenario (for Etie) 10 Mt if at 0 magic, which feels rather weak for where the progression seems to be (37 hp, 6 mv class when we've seen horses with 5 mv, and level 19 in their current class). Like I'm sure Etie has some magic so its likely less than 10 Mt, which is weirdly low for both that point in the game, and considering the weapon is only available for a few turns at a time

It might from the enemies' Res stat?

1 minute ago, Armchair General said:

It might from the enemies' Res stat?

This is before selecting a target to attack. Attack is just Str or Mag + Mt. In the actual fight we see Etie doing 19 damage per hit.....and thats with weapon effectiveness in mind as they're attacking a horse unit, which Blutgang has effectiveness on

11 hours ago, Ayra said:

Don't blade weapons seems really bad at first glance? Lose first strike on player phase, no double attacks, and on enemy phase, you open yourself to the opportunity to get attacked by more enemies since you open a spot.

My read of the description (both the English and the Japanese) is that the Smash effect is strictly player phase, and on enemy phase it's just a regular sword that can't double. That seems perfectly useful for positional strategies like lining up foes to finish them off with Sigurd's charge or moving one enemy closer to another so that Celica's Echoes can finish them both off.

On 11/30/2022 at 6:01 AM, Metal Flash said:

I wonder if Solm being a matriarcy will affect how the characters from there view men

Has Fire Emblem ever had a country that is a matriarchy? Because I don't know. The only matriarchies I know are in other games.

15 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Has Fire Emblem ever had a country that is a matriarchy? Because I don't know. The only matriarchies I know are in other games.

Not confirmed as one so it might not count, but when it comes to Begnion we only ever hear about their Empresses. I think the only male leader that mattered was Soan.

12 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Not confirmed as one so it might not count, but when it comes to Begnion we only ever hear about their Empresses. I think the only male leader that mattered was Soan.

If you include Heroes, there's the kingdom of the giants (which I refuse to spell). Otherwise, I'm pretty sure Begnion is the only country from previous games that is known for being ruled by women.

Begnion should come with the caveat though that it's because their empresses are also their apostles, and the game is explicit about how only the firstborn daughter of Altina and Sephiran's line can hear the goddess. So if it's matrilineal it's not "just 'cause".

5 hours ago, Vexal said:

It is merely a tier 1 engage weapon, and it has double effectiveness while targeting Res. While clearly that wasn't the best way to showcase it, the important part is that since Etie likely gained next to no magic throughout, it was already that good from the get-go, and just fell off over time. True to form, it doesn't seem very accurate, though.

Also, pretty sure those two are personnal skills we haven't seen yet.
259Yu6b.png
YynMTE4.png

And we're also starting to see a picture, as the third and fourth skill are clearly impersonal, and repeated throughout. The second ones I think could be class-based, but...

2 hours ago, Cysx said:

And we're also starting to see a picture, as the third and fourth skill are clearly impersonal, and repeated throughout. The second ones I think could be class-based, but...

I think you're onto something there! If the first skill is personal and the second is class-based, the remaining slots could be unlocked via spending SP or by having a promoted class (with the skills themselves being generic ones unlocked via more SP or class mastery a la 3H).

27 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Let's hope it doesn't kill said replay value with poor pacing like Houses did.

Does having a single route make something more or less replayable than one with four routes that are 75+% identical?

And while this may fly in the face of replayability, I hope there's a NG+ (or at least a renown system a la 3H) to let us experiment with Emblems and classes without worrying about having to get them to max levels first. Of course Maddening is guaranteed at this point too, either as free DLC or part of the Day 1 package. I don't know if I want them to do something like 3H's exclusive title screen for playing Merciless without importing a past playthrough though.

4 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Does having a single route make something more or less replayable than one with four routes that are 75+% identical?

Routes encourage a few replays, but everything beyond that has to stand on the quality of the game. My most replayed Fire Emblem is completely linear. Houses could have all the customization and routes in the world, but it's weighed down by too many cumbersome pace breakers. A 70 hour JRPG is less replayable than a 30 hour one, especially when much of that time comes from things that aren't fun - the monastery and auxiliary battles.

12 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Routes encourage a few replays, but everything beyond that has to stand on the quality of the game. My most replayed Fire Emblem is completely linear. Houses could have all the customization and routes in the world, but it's weighed down by too many cumbersome pace breakers. A 70 hour JRPG is less replayable than a 30 hour one, especially when much of that time comes from things that aren't fun - the monastery and auxiliary battles.

I wouldn't say the auxiliary battles kill it, as they're very much not that long, and are even shorter if you disable animations or skip enemy turns. Monastary's a huge pace breaker whenever it's required though due to how much running around back and forth is required....with loading times not helping, so I'm hoping the hub we get in FEE is more condense

Edited by Vexal

2 hours ago, Vexal said:

I wouldn't say the auxiliary battles kill it, as they're very much not that long, and are even shorter if you disable animations or skip enemy turns. Monastary's a huge pace breaker whenever it's required though due to how much running around back and forth is required....with loading times not helping, so I'm hoping the hub we get in FEE is more condense

The biggest issue with the Auxiliary battles is that the prevent you from doing anything else. Oh you can now class change to a new class? Either give up on doing more battles or just give up on the new class for a bit. 

1 hour ago, ciphertul said:

The biggest issue with the Auxiliary battles is that the prevent you from doing anything else. Oh you can now class change to a new class? Either give up on doing more battles or just give up on the new class for a bit. 

You can still class change, you just can't unlock more classes, which is more of an issue with how 3H handles class unlocking rather than a fault of auxiliary battles

19 minutes ago, Vexal said:

You can still class change, you just can't unlock more classes, which is more of an issue with how 3H handles class unlocking rather than a fault of auxiliary battles

That is why I said new class. Regardless the point still stands that you use those battles to progress and yet you can’t progress during those battles. 

Yeah, having multiple routes does not make a game replayable IMO. Hell with the FE games that do have multiple routes, I 9 times out of 10 end up just replaying one (Conquest, Blue Lions) anyways so I don't think routes add much to replayability outside of encouraging you to try each of them at least once until you end up dropping it once completed or just repeatedly play your favourite route and maybe playing the other every now and again if you get bored. Three Houses was bogged down by the monastery mainly and its calendar system and how integral they are to gameplay. I'm hoping Somniel is more akin to My Castle than the monastery cause otherwise I do think it will hamper replayability a lot (I say that as if I don't nearly have 1000 hours put into Three Houses but semantics lol). Also I hope the calander system is gone and we can just pick between doing auxiliary battles, paralogues or just proceeding with the story as we please as was done in Fates.

9 hours ago, ciphertul said:

That is why I said new class. Regardless the point still stands that you use those battles to progress and yet you can’t progress during those battles. 

Yeah, this never made sense to me, either as a mechanic or in universe, so as @Azz said, I really hope we can just enter and leave Somniel as we please. They can even bring back the mentor system from Part 2 if they wanted, I actually liked that part! It was just the calendar system that slowed things down.

14 hours ago, Vexal said:

Here's the thing. In New Game+ when you're working with potentially 3 battles per free day, which is the fastest way to progress outside of the once per month monastery visit, they're actually far more boring and far more of a pace killer than the monastery is.

Though just like the monastery, the calendar system's "use it or lose it" effect on everything in the game is a big part of that and needs to go away forever.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Here's the thing. In New Game+ when you're working with potentially 3 battles per free day, which is the fastest way to progress outside of the once per month monastery visit, they're actually far more boring and far more of a pace killer than the monastery is.

Though just like the monastery, the calendar system's "use it or lose it" effect on everything in the game is a big part of that and needs to go away forever.

If and hopefully not, but if the calendar system returns it need to be either like Persona where you can play nearly everyday or like Trails of Cold Steel where the days only progress when completing a specific mission. However thankfully Engage doesn't seem to have one.

As one who always enjoys new characters in FE (and has a pet project involving FE going on), this season with the introduction of new Engage characters and a new Book in Heroes starting soon is incredibly exciting. Just one of these is enough to make me giddy, but both together makes me hype.

That's all. 

Honestly, routes - or the absence of such - doesn't really matter for replayability imho. The least replayable FE games imho commit far worse sins. Like whoring out big maps. And just being slow to the point where a speed up function is mandatory just to not get bored to sleep before player phase rolls around again. Also, I hope this game doesn't go the way of SD, New Mystery and Awakening in terms of its hardest difficulty.