FE6 HM 0% growths, with commentary (complete)

dondon151

The enemy constellation around Brunya can be cracked by Shin killing the Druid that stands in front of her, warping Roy onto the spot that becomes free, warping Percival in to kill Brunya and Roy seizing. And I know it's technically possible to clear Ch.23 in one turn but I don't know if it actually can be done with 0% growths. Given the amount of mobility Lalum, Niime, Percival and Shin [or even Roy] have it *could* be possible to set up a 1-turn clear like that but it's definitely not very realistic.

Afaik, a 1-turn clear requires 3 uses of Warp anyway [which I was under the impression you had left so go figure] so I'm guessing that you managed a 2-turn clear.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's kinda funny beacuse 2 turning 23 is actually in practice not that hard beause of the bizzare behaviour of the Sniper near Brunya, he just decides not to attack units on forest tiles or something. admittedly you do need an axe wielding (lancereaver would work too) unit with respectable defensive parameters and maxed mov which is pretty much limited to percival in 0% growths ltc, who needs to kill the boss, so that just complicates lots of things.

unless he's changed it from v3, dondon's 2 turn is way more elegant than what I came up with because of said limitation. orz

enemies have to be manipulated for positioning way more so that the throne can actually be reached wheras I just dumped lance on a forest and pulled the entire army over to save hassle.

I also recall he only ended up using 2 warps 1 rescue on that map but I could be wrong, I used 3 warp 1 rescue for 2 turning it which is inefficient as hell.

also i dont think you can 1 turn and still recruit karel so....

Edited by Irysa

It's kinda funny beacuse 2 turning 23 is actually in practice not that hard beause of the bizzare behaviour of the Sniper near Brunya, he just decides not to attack units on forest tiles or something. admittedly you do need an axe wielding (lancereaver would work too) unit with respectable defensive parameters and maxed mov which is pretty much limited to percival in 0% growths ltc, who needs to kill the boss, so that just complicates lots of things.

The north Snipers and the three Druids in a line near Brenya are set to only attack enemies if they could reach them using half their movement points (so, three). It's part of why they don't use their status staves the moment you enter their range.

unless he's changed it from v3, dondon's 2 turn is way more elegant than what I came up with because of said limitation. orz

it's a lot cooler, i won't hesitate to say that, but it still involves copious amounts of dump-unit-on-forest-and-pray-for-survival. i actually found a way to drastically improve survival rate but unfortunately it's relegated to the extra notes because i discovered it too late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyF37HK5VBE

Chapter 23 is completed in 2 turns.

Chapter information

[spoiler=]

New characters

CMnazhO.png
Karel (カレル) - Swordmaster L19

Karel's kind of old by now. How much do you think he can bench?

Important weapons

Durandal.gifDurandal (デュランダル)
S rank sword | 1 rng | 12 WT | 17 MT | 90 hit | 0 crit | +5 str to user when equipped

Durandal is the divine sword. Factoring in its 5 str bonus, Durandal is the strongest physical weapon in the game, and it’s also fairly accurate. Unfortunately, enemy manaketes are so bulky in FE6 HM that Perceval doesn’t even come close to OHKOing them even if he had maxed str.

Mechanics notes

Enemy AI with status staves, part 3

The third, and final, rule that that governs enemy staff targeting AI is much like the first rule that I introduced in chapter 16x.

Enemy Berserk and Sleep users do not target allies without usable weapons.

XfZtlC7.png
3 of these druids carry Sleep or Berserk. They don’t move, but their ranges still cover about half of the map.

Milady can venture into enemy staff range with impunity as long as she has no usable weapons. Her Killer Lance breaks in the middle of enemy phase, so the enemy druids ignore her. This is kind of like the no-staves-in-inventory rule for Silence AI.

Mekkah and I haven't yet recorded the final chapter + epilogue commentary. The entire video is 17 minutes long and there's no way that we can talk about Fire Emblem for that span of time, especially since the game would already be finished. The weekend is coming up and that's likely when we'll have time to record. We'll be covering unit records and maybe talking a bit about the series as a whole.

What would you like to hear us discuss?

Edited by dondon151

Mekkah and I haven't yet recorded the final chapter + epilogue commentary. The entire video is 17 minutes long and there's no way that we can talk about Fire Emblem for that span of time, especially since the game would already be finished. The weekend is coming up and that's likely when we'll have time to record. We'll be covering unit records and maybe talking a bit about the series as a whole.

douglas

How hot Karel is :P:

Ahem. . .is the Epilogue necessary, besides battles won and all that?

no, but final would be like a minute otherwise.

of course unit records are necessary, they're the best part

Edited by dondon151

Plans for a run which features unit death/skipping unit recruitment, rather than a 100% unit run, and potential turns saved

man dude, i'm just going to field this one right now. i'm pretty burnt out on GBAFEs and the amount of time that i have to record a playthrough, much less produce a series like this, is fast dwindling. a deaths run for FE6 is extremely difficult to plan out optimally because almost all units are capable of saving a turn if they die. furthermore, it's bound to be a lot less appealing to the average viewer.

Edited by dondon151

- Comparison to a playthrough with growths. The main differences, which units got significantily better/worse/replaceable, how much turns would be saved, which chapters are more reliable.

- Wishes and ideas about a FE6 Remake. What should be improved, what should be balanced (e.g. player units growth, weapon hit rates, throne bonus). Pointing out the strengths and the weaknesses of the game as a whole perhaps.

- Thoughts about the gameplay of Awakening and how it differs and changed from the classic FEs, thoughts about FE14.

man dude, i'm just going to field this one right now. i'm pretty burnt out on GBAFEs and the amount of time that i have to record a playthrough, much less produce a series like this, is fast dwindling. a deaths run for FE6 is extremely difficult to plan out optimally because almost all units are capable of saving a turn if they die. furthermore, it's bound to be a lot less appealing to the average viewer.

What about a skipping units run. I mean for instance, in a world without Cath, how different would the outcome be? Would you still need to burn turns for WEXP grinding and/or loot gathering?

1 warp 2 rescue, nice.

Talk about what makes FE6 particularly good for 0% growths compared to other games in the series, especially in the GBA games (extremely competant warpers, generous warp range calculation, warp comes in midgame). Only FE11 really compares in terms of the game handing you the tools to break open it freely regardless of whether you've got growths or not, and also compares in how seize is basically the only thing you ever have to do (less combat etc), but I think FE11's is considerably less interesting given its almost total full skip after you get access to two warpers.

Edited by Irysa

what chapter (in any game you've done) was the hardest to plan for and why?

what unit (again in any game) have you thought would be bad or even worthless but ended up contributing at least a decent amount?

Would you rather fight a Percival-sized duck or 100 duck-sized Percivals?

Serious question: When I watch your videos, I feel like your strategies are very optimal and there's very little way to improve things. I'm wondering if you feel like there was a place you think you could've saved turns and for what reason? On top of that, since I know you're doing other 0% growth playthroughs, how do you determine whether or not you can save a few turns with an alternate strategy? Is there anything in particular that tips you off to it?

FE games from favorite to least favorite and why.

When are you going to finish your Top 25 Best 0% Growths Units list?

Any other game series you particularly enjoy (not counting Pokemon)?