Underrated units

Chiki

Lowen, his defence combined with mobility makes for great bait for enemies, but overall he's just a really good tank. I barely ever hear people compliment him so...

Edward, for reasons previously stated.

Also Eliwood.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea what the overall general opinion of Lowen is, since he seems to be a popular pick in both this topic and the overrated units topic.

I use Lowen if I skip Lyn Mode, otherwise he gets replaced with Kentadin/Sainadin when they rejoin.

I'd say Edward, because he tends to be often overshadowed by Zihark's earth affinity and second tier bases.

He has better growths than Zihark and he's trainable in part 3 in HM with wrath + range swords.

They're both good, only different to use.

I tried using him in a casual run in FE10 HM, and he's hit above his averages yet could still barely hit Level 13 or 14. You must be feeding hella kills to him, because his bases aren't too great and he needs a ton of kills fed to him.

Rolf is also underrated because of Shinon's much higher base level. His growths are as great as Shinon's.

Same issue as above. The HM EXP is slow and you need to go way out of your way to what amounts to replicating Shinon's output.

I tried using him in a casual run in FE10 HM, and he's hit above his averages yet could still barely hit Level 13 or 14. You must be feeding hella kills to him, because his bases aren't too great and he needs a ton of kills fed to him.

Same issue as above. The HM EXP is slow and you need to go way out of your way to what amounts to replicating Shinon's output.

I must be an exp allocation god or something then. Last time I played Casual HM FE10, I trained Jill Edward S Strike Volug and Micaiah hit Level 20 before tier 2. Jill and Edward were both Tier 3 by 3-13 and rekt shit. This was also without boss abuse and on the wii.

EDIT: basically, there's a ton of exp still in HM.

Edited by PKL

I never really have a problem to use him, if he has the speed. In 1-5 he can kill all the enemy mages including boss on the ledge with the wind edge. At the latest in 1-6-2 he'll reach level 14. In my HM runs he always is the second unit after Jill, who's promoted via masterseal.

With an A-support with Leo he can even take two steel lances in his face.

His earlygame is his only problem. If he doesn't get the strength and speed early on (in his first level up), he'll be problem case.

Tbh I've much more effort to use Nolan especially in early game, if his strength and speed stuck. Same goes for Aran's speed.

Maybe I was embellishing and I was speed screwed somewhat, because I recall him only being able to take 2 hits in 1-7 at Level 14 or 15. Too many kills to Nolan may be the culprit.

I dunno how Ilyana's AS is "good"- she doubles the Steel Axe guy in 1-3 and that's pretty much it forever...maybe some untransformed laguz in 1-4? Perhaps you're talking about transfer Ilyana.

I thought Ilyana without transfers had good AS, but I guess not?

ilyana (N) can't really double anything, but she's still somewhat underrated because she can instantly promote and her HP/def is low enough that basically anything will immediately put her into resolve or wrath range.

Carrion is not an amazing unit. His start is incredibly terrible for marginal to no benefits over Fin/Felgus (his PCC is better than Fin's, at least).

He has 4 PCC, a movement star, can use both Swords and Lances, has good growth rates and is not hard to train at all. You really just need him to get some level ups [@scrolls ofc] in Ch.8 and he'll serve you well for the whole rest of the game. He's a really good and underrated unit.

I thought Ilyana without transfers had good AS, but I guess not?

I think she can double exactly two fighters with a steel axe in 1-3.

If she has reached 14 speed, she can double a few of the tigers in 1-4.

In general I think she's a good user of Edward's wrath skill unlike she won't be oneshotted.

Edited by Miss Xiaomu

I must be an exp allocation god or something then. Last time I played Casual HM FE10, I trained Jill Edward S Strike Volug and Micaiah hit Level 20 before tier 2. Jill and Edward were both Tier 3 by 3-13 and rekt shit. This was also without boss abuse and on the wii.

EDIT: basically, there's a ton of exp still in HM.

Pace? This sounds unlikely when you go for faster clears and use the temp part 1 units. I'm not even an LTC player and lv 20 Miccy sounds sketchier than those internet lottery ads.

If Ed fails to proc Str/Spd in the Prologue, he falls off for the rest of part 1. It's that bad.

Pace? This sounds unlikely when you go for faster clears and use the temp part 1 units. I'm not even an LTC player and lv 20 Miccy sounds sketchier than those internet lottery ads.

If Ed fails to proc Str/Spd in the Prologue, he falls off for the rest of part 1. It's that bad.

I did say Casual HM...it's a little foggy since it was a while ago, I think the pace was still in the bonus exp threshold and I remember that there was no boss abuse or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xNhB0YvZIw

It was a transfers run though, so that might have helped Jill. Good Paragon usage in casual play with Tier 2 units goes a long way. Nolan got benched soon after though, because he got stat screwed everywhere :(.

Level 20 Micaiah is possible in LTC play. In LTC, Micaiah gets a bunch of bexp to shave 4 turns from 1-9.

I did say Casual HM...it's a little foggy since it was a while ago, I think the pace was still in the bonus exp threshold and I remember that there was no boss abuse or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xNhB0YvZIw

It was a transfers run though, so that might have helped Jill. Good Paragon usage in casual play with Tier 2 units goes a long way. Nolan got benched soon after though, because he got stat screwed everywhere :(.

I'll take your word for it.

Level 20 Micaiah is possible in LTC play. In LTC, Micaiah gets a bunch of bexp to shave 4 turns from 1-9.

Is it for her to help the BK rout the map?

I'm pretty sure Chiki always plays with transfers, given his opinion of Boyd.

Boyd's only issue is his speed. Give him a speedwing or two and he'll wreck the game.

I just prefer Nolan over him, because he pretty much carries the DB, so I might as well just use him instead.

I prefer Nolan because he looks like Sean Bean. <3

Underrated Units...let me see...

FE7: Rath is definitely underrated. I see why people overlook him cuz he rejoins so late, but man...Rath with the Brave Bow levels quickly and hes the best bow user because horsie.

I feel like Bartre needs more love. His base speed is terribad, so again, i see why he gets passed up. But if he gets that one proc in speed....

FE8: Hmmm....Not a lot of underrated units here tbh. All the good units are recognized as bomb. And all the bad ones are known to be bad. ....yeah i got nothin.

FE9: M A K A L O V

FE10: Sigrun tbh. But i think this is more my bias than her legit being underrated. lol Fiona

FE13: Hmmm...this is a game where everyone ever can be good. But i feel Gangrel is hella underrated as a character and as a unit. /shrug

Boyd's only issue is his speed. Give him a speedwing or two and he'll wreck the game.

I just prefer Nolan over him, because he pretty much carries the DB, so I might as well just use him instead.

Boyd has 18 Speed. 20 with a Speedwings. That doesn't even consistently double Sages and Paladins in 3-2. Not even Haar gets 2 speedwings, so Boyd can forget about taking another. It's pretty bad.

there's not too many here i can think of, but Makalov does get underrated abit more then he should.

Bartre's the biggest one that comes to mind tho, cause he's just about the best axe user in the game thats not hector, and most likely hawkeye, i dunno but i don't wanna debate that cause i don't know how that match up goes.

Bartre's the biggest one that comes to mind tho, cause he's just about the best axe user in the game thats not hector, and most likely hawkeye, i dunno but i don't wanna debate that cause i don't know how that match up goes.

I think just about any Paladin bar Isadora uses axes better than Bartre can.

So in the end, Bartre is pretty mediocre after all (although perfectly useable, I'm sure). I guess he's better than the guy whose mutton got poisoned!

Well there's also Geitz.

Bartre at least has joining times and growths that'll make some of his stats better, but he'll never be as good at using bows then Geitz

I think just about any Paladin bar Isadora uses axes better than Bartre can.

i was talking about primary axe users, paladin have control over the whole triangle and you can say they are the best units in the game, other then isadora and her pathetic 6 con.

Don't forget Hero!Raven and Harken, they're better than Bartre as well.

raven isn't getting axes until atleast chapter 23 if i recall correctly, sides he doesn't have the con for anything other then an iron. even that slows him down i think, and Bartre has joining times on Harken. (not to mention harken might not exist in a player's run, but he should if they know what they are doing because Harken is hilariously good), neither one of these are primary axe users either.

So in the end, Bartre is pretty mediocre after all (although perfectly useable, I'm sure). I guess he's better than the guy whose mutton got poisoned!

pretty much, i say he's mid tier at best, but he certainlly isn't dorcas who doesn't even have good growths to back him up in comparison to Bartre

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai