Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

So, I feel incredibly stuck. Over many months, I've tried to come up with better strategies and teams on my own for harder maps like LHBs and such. I can clear most infernal BHBs and GHBs just fine. Even a few infernal LHBs and abyssal GHBs. But most of the time with the latter as well as stuff like SA, CC, Arena Assault, Aether Raids, etc., I have a lot of trouble. And it seems like other players have little trouble at all...

I don't believe I suck at the game, since I CAN clear some difficult content. And I've come quite a ways since the game launched. Back then I was pretty bad, probably mostly due in part to this game working a little differently than normal FE (and even normal FE I'm no expert at, though I also wouldn't say I suck there either), but also kind of because I went without any 5 stars for a long time.

But anyway, now it seems I've hit a ceiling the last several months. I can give units good builds, I know plenty on doing that. My +10 super tank Frederick and my super tank Silas say enough about that. But I can never seem to understand how to make excellent teams (aside from like one horse team) with these units or use them effectively in the more difficult battles. I keep wondering how players like Phoenixmaster do it. Does he spend a lot of time doing it? If so, I wish I had the patience and time for that... I normally have pretty decent patience with stuff, but not so much when I just keep failing at something... Rarely have I ever persisted at a challenge for an extremely long time. Even though I admit that when I did, the satisfaction from finally completing it was awesome.

I've tried following advice though, getting more ideas from videos, all that stuff. But I still can't seem to glue in my mind better strategizing and unit placement and team building and all that. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to find some kind of different way to learn this stuff better? Could I even do that? I just don't know what to do anymore to learn to clear more hard content on my own.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

1 hour ago, Icelerate said:

Considering you're willing to use Roy, I'm guessing the BB play through improved your opinion on him. Especially since there are probably more lords you aren't willing to use. 

I wasn't very fond of FE6's plot. 

The locations look nice, but the game's choice to show you the entire world in a single game, passing through seven countries in the process (well only six on a given route b/c Ilia vs. Sacae), means that outside of maybe Lycia, there is no weight to any of them. It takes but one battle to cripple Sacae's powerful Djute Clan, with its remnants scattered through the subsequent three Sacae battles. The resistance in the Western Isles didn't really exist with only Elffin, Larum, and Echidna to account for. The Lycian Alliance felt like one weak coalition.

For someone who likes world building, this was a letdown. And Etruria was the worst in terms of how little we got to see of it. Even though there was not single fight in Goldoa in Tellius, the pretty CGs gave us a nice vignette of what it looks like, all we get in Etruria is a few generic indoors for battles and some stuff skirting the country's borders. It's "revolutionaries"- more like counterrevolutionaries in terms of their political views- dragged down the story as well.

In the context of all of this, Roy was bland, but inoffensive. I can't name a single high point for him, nor a single low. He is Marth-esque as was intended, Binding being inspired by Archanea, but a little too mild and perfect. 

If I got him, I guess I'd use him, but I wouldn't rush to try him out either. Right now, basic Sword Infantry Roy, like Seliph, is just sitting there clogging a few spaces in my Barracks (I really should upgrade it from the 300 minimum sooner or later), neither pressed, nor in use.

1 hour ago, Kaden said:

CYL Lyn is a colorless bow cavalry while Sue is green, so there is that. Granted, both of them could probably wreck stuff and annoy people regardless, but Lyn and Sue are different enough.

My issue with Lyn isn't her against Sue in terms of being Bow Cavs in gameplay. My longtime problem was she hogged the category to herself with only LARoy (who being Seasonal makes me sneeze) as a fellow Bow Cav. I've considered it favoritism towards her, although it could have also been between her and Direhardt being so good that IS decided to cancel any future Bow Cavs to avoid further poisoning this metagame thingamabob, even though they could have made one without being as incredible for a long time as BraLyn was. IS is the one with the power to make units broken, balanced, or underwhelming, as they do with everything else in this game, should they ever forget it.

Sue being in gives us a canonical Bow Cav, and the color and stats matter not to me. This thus diminishes or abolishes this perceived "favoritism" BraLyn has had. Whether it has diminished enough, I'm not sure. But I think I'm being petty by continuing to hold this semi-grudge after Sue has come, so I'll open myself to a freebie of Sami the Tutorial Girl in a Recon were I to get one.

I don't actually dislike Lyn as a character, she matters not in FE7's main story, and her own is very rudimentary. Nonetheless, she's nice enough, and Eliwood's best ship (although whether it is her best ship is another question- it could be Rath instead).

2 hours ago, XRay said:

Yeah, I wish they let us exchange Tickets for Orbs. I rather just save for a Focus I want instead of being forced to spend.

If they could let you convert, I'd think it'd have to be at a relative loss, like 3 or 2 Orbs per Ticket, or even 5 Orbs for a full set of tickets. A full 1:5 conversion would make Tickets obsolete.

Do these "AB / AA" quests have multiple levels (i.e. Hard and Lunatic) after you clear the first set? Don't want to be caught out and have to do all the levels at the same time on the final day.

Mordecia got demoted? Huh, I remember hearing that he was a really tanky boy and probably wasn't going to get demoted because of his link skill.

Nice to see him demoted. It does make IS not demoting any of the Fates beasts even weirder since Reyson and Mordecia got demoted. Those two are really good units after all.

Just finished giving my OG +Spd Eirika her final merge. Now I only need to max out Nailah's HM and give her DC + NC-D and she'll be complete. 

27 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Do these "AB / AA" quests have multiple levels (i.e. Hard and Lunatic) after you clear the first set? Don't want to be caught out and have to do all the levels at the same time on the final day.

I'm pretty sure it does not. The AB / AA quests are just a replacement for the daily Arena Assault quests that most people, myself included, probably never regularly did anyways, except they're weekly instead.

Just added the original Leo to my collection from a free pull. So my chance of adding the missing launch day 5 stars to my collection has not dropped to zero as some have suggested. How about that.

Allegiance battles don't have some kind of stamina system? ...Did they just forget, or something? This is a mobile game, everything should have a recharging stamina system. Equipping skills should cost stamina. Tapping on units to hear their quotes should have stamina. Collecting log in bonuses should take up stamina.

2 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Just added the original Leo to my collection from a free pull. So my chance of adding the missing launch day 5 stars to my collection has not dropped to zero as some have suggested. How about that.

Allegiance battles don't have some kind of stamina system? ...Did they just forget, or something? This is a mobile game, everything should have a recharging stamina system. Equipping skills should cost stamina. Tapping on units to hear their quotes should have stamina. Collecting log in bonuses should take up stamina.

There's a more abstract limit: you can only use each friend's unit once per day.

Screw me upside the head with a wash towel drenched in a swamp of turtle poop. I'm at 600/600 units and not really much I can do about getting rid of units. Other than the F2P backup units and actual 5* to 4* units I want to use or are my only copies of them, the other goons are units with ideal or considered assets and flaws or are GHB/TT copies. The latter is the worst when you can only get them through GHB reruns or through grails and if I ever want to be a dumbass running a defense team of black knights, edgy swordsmen, possessed Takumi, or whatever, then it's going to be a pain in the ass if I ended up booking too many of them.

Maybe I should get my barracks size to 1000...

Edited by Kaden

4 hours ago, Humanoid said:

If there isn't a "Normal" tag somewhere near the top of the quest set, then it won't have multiple levels.

My OCD kicked in again so I was foddering off units to complete skill trees and I realized that Blazing Light is still a 5* exclusive skill outside of Oliver and Xander. Damn, Leo is like the perfect demote material.

Edited by Flying Shogi

7 hours ago, Anacybele said:

...My +10 super tank Frederick and my super tank Silas say enough about that...

I dont know your Team composition but if those 2 are running in the same Team then your Team is flawed from the get go. both are physical tanks and none of them can tank magical hits well.

Not saying its not doable because every Abyssal map is clearable by the Askrtrio & Veronica, but the difference is that they have so balanced statlines (aside from Alfonse he is just garbage against anything not green lol) that you can turn Anna or Sharena into magical tank (mostly Sharena because her weapon nullifies all buffs).

Usual team composition of mine:
Physical Tank
Magical/Mixed Tank
Sweeper/some supportish cappabilitys
Support/magical Attack

4 minutes ago, Hilda said:

I dont know your Team composition but if those 2 are running in the same Team then your Team is flawed from the get go. both are physical tanks and none of them can tank magical hits well.

Not saying its not doable because every Abyssal map is clearable by the Askrtrio & Veronica, but the difference is that they have so balanced statlines (aside from Alfonse he is just garbage against anything not green lol) that you can turn Anna or Sharena into magical tank (mostly Sharena because her weapon nullifies all buffs).

Usual team composition of mine:
Physical Tank
Magical/Mixed Tank
Sweeper/some supportish cappabilitys
Support/magical Attack

Well yeah, almost never run them together for exactly what you just said. They're both physical tanks.  But I see, that does sound like a pretty balanced composition.

7 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

I'm pretty sure it does not. The AB / AA quests are just a replacement for the daily Arena Assault quests that most people, myself included, probably never regularly did anyways, except they're weekly instead.

Not having to do Arena Assault everyday would definitely be a nice change.  If memory serves, it was 100 feathers per day, so it looks like if we count the Allegiance quest, that's a net 100 feather gain, so at least we aren't losing feathers.

11 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Not having to do Arena Assault everyday would definitely be a nice change.  If memory serves, it was 100 feathers per day, so it looks like if we count the Allegiance quest, that's a net 100 feather gain, so at least we aren't losing feathers.

We aren't losing out on other rewards either, if anyone cares about them.

Personally I stopped bothering with the daily Arena/AA quests a long time ago, beyond what I'd get for my weekly runs, so this is a nice little boost.

15 hours ago, silverserpent said:

I...don't think anything is going to scratch him. L!Alm will probably do a fair bit of damage, but otherwise? Lukas is physically impenetrable.

Screenshot_20190427-230959_Fire Emblem Heroes.jpg

That's an awesome build, 50 Def whew!

Nice that Mordecai got demoted, so we know they can demote Link Skills now outside of giving them on GHB/TT units~

1 hour ago, Landmaster said:

That's an awesome build, 50 Def whew!

Nice that Mordecai got demoted, so we know they can demote Link Skills now outside of giving them on GHB/TT units~

IF I ever pull Mordecai, Lukas is getting that skill. Especially if I choose to keep Pivot on him. That Def will go even higher...

On 4/27/2019 at 12:29 PM, Anacybele said:

So, I feel incredibly stuck. Over many months, I've tried to come up with better strategies and teams on my own for harder maps like LHBs and such. I can clear most infernal BHBs and GHBs just fine. Even a few infernal LHBs and abyssal GHBs. But most of the time with the latter as well as stuff like SA, CC, Arena Assault, Aether Raids, etc., I have a lot of trouble. And it seems like other players have little trouble at all...

I don't believe I suck at the game, since I CAN clear some difficult content. And I've come quite a ways since the game launched. Back then I was pretty bad, probably mostly due in part to this game working a little differently than normal FE (and even normal FE I'm no expert at, though I also wouldn't say I suck there either), but also kind of because I went without any 5 stars for a long time.

But anyway, now it seems I've hit a ceiling the last several months. I can give units good builds, I know plenty on doing that. My +10 super tank Frederick and my super tank Silas say enough about that. But I can never seem to understand how to make excellent teams (aside from like one horse team) with these units or use them effectively in the more difficult battles. I keep wondering how players like Phoenixmaster do it. Does he spend a lot of time doing it? If so, I wish I had the patience and time for that... I normally have pretty decent patience with stuff, but not so much when I just keep failing at something... Rarely have I ever persisted at a challenge for an extremely long time. Even though I admit that when I did, the satisfaction from finally completing it was awesome.

I've tried following advice though, getting more ideas from videos, all that stuff. But I still can't seem to glue in my mind better strategizing and unit placement and team building and all that. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to find some kind of different way to learn this stuff better? Could I even do that? I just don't know what to do anymore to learn to clear more hard content on my own.

I'm really sorry that you feel stuck - i know that feeling. I know for me, even though i started playing roughly around the Love Abound's Banner (proof, because i have Roy LOL), i really ony started playing in September. So I feel so incredibly stuck and behind on a lot of things. It also doesn't help that i have a math learning disorder so a lot of aspects of this game is knowing who moves first/priority, damage output etc. a lot of the times (at first) - it was "throw ____" at the problem and hope everyone lives. 

I went from unable to do hard anything. the first few months - like i was so happy when i did like "Level 10" because i was like Okay! I can do this." to being stomped hard on Hard. I remember when i did my first blessings map, and it was a struggle (my units were Ryoma, Linde, Brave Lyn and someon a level 31 4* Camilla), because i had no idea about IVs, and anything of that) and I was like how are people getting these things. 

So i just. practiced. I talked to people here (I know Tree and Johann were a LOT of help), and i really listened to what they said. i used guides, and my friend would help me modify it so i could use units that i DID have - and when they adapted - that's how i learned. because they weren't following the guide, so i would have to figure out, okay how to move, where to move, when to atk - if it safer to let them to take a hit. who can take a hit). and I am still being surprised every day. (for example, my Fae - took a rally atk/spd Brave Lyn, draconic aura to the face. twice. and survived) I was fully expecting death to occur. 

Now I can do some abyssals on my own. how? by just continuing to practice them. trying to figure out what skills i need. 
I started doing some CC's and SAs and stuff - what I do is watch the guide first, and see WHO to prepare for. what skills do they have, what can they do is there anything that would catch me off guard. if there are armours - i know i can run maybe some singers and mages. if there are bows - that's where i'd want my tanks., brave bows - someone with DC (or a dagger unit with def.) stufff like that. play around with seals. 

and. guess what ;) sometimes (most of the time) I forget too. my friends always tease me that they told me this. but  we will always help. 

I just think having an open mind, and knowing you have to be patient to crack the codes sometimes - is how you progress. and also embracing that some of these things are going to just be hard as poop. (and they are supposed to be). and some maps are just weird. Hector's Abyssal - really easy for me. Alm's HARD?! HARD for me. it comes and goes. 

I don't think you suck, you'll figure it out. but just know it takes time. if i can get relatively decent in a short amount of time - i'm confident you can figure it out too. 

14 minutes ago, silverserpent said:

That does sound fun, he might actually be able to double something not armored.

Said armored then proceeds to run Wary Fighter or has some skill that prevents follow-ups.

+Spd Reinhardt has 21 speed after Dire Thunder. Darting Blow 4 would bring him up to 30 speed on initiation, Darting Blow 3 seal to 36, and a Hone Cavalry to 42 speed. If you get him to +10 merged, then he'd have 46 speed after all of that.

Edited by Kaden

2 hours ago, daisy jane said:

I'm really sorry that you feel stuck - i know that feeling. I know for me, even though i started playing roughly around the Love Abound's Banner (proof, because i have Roy LOL), i really ony started playing in September. So I feel so incredibly stuck and behind on a lot of things. It also doesn't help that i have a math learning disorder so a lot of aspects of this game is knowing who moves first/priority, damage output etc. a lot of the times (at first) - it was "throw ____" at the problem and hope everyone lives. 

I went from unable to do hard anything. the first few months - like i was so happy when i did like "Level 10" because i was like Okay! I can do this." to being stomped hard on Hard. I remember when i did my first blessings map, and it was a struggle (my units were Ryoma, Linde, Brave Lyn and someon a level 31 4* Camilla), because i had no idea about IVs, and anything of that) and I was like how are people getting these things. 

So i just. practiced. I talked to people here (I know Tree and Johann were a LOT of help), and i really listened to what they said. i used guides, and my friend would help me modify it so i could use units that i DID have - and when they adapted - that's how i learned. because they weren't following the guide, so i would have to figure out, okay how to move, where to move, when to atk - if it safer to let them to take a hit. who can take a hit). and I am still being surprised every day. (for example, my Fae - took a rally atk/spd Brave Lyn, draconic aura to the face. twice. and survived) I was fully expecting death to occur. 

Now I can do some abyssals on my own. how? by just continuing to practice them. trying to figure out what skills i need. 
I started doing some CC's and SAs and stuff - what I do is watch the guide first, and see WHO to prepare for. what skills do they have, what can they do is there anything that would catch me off guard. if there are armours - i know i can run maybe some singers and mages. if there are bows - that's where i'd want my tanks., brave bows - someone with DC (or a dagger unit with def.) stufff like that. play around with seals. 

and. guess what ;) sometimes (most of the time) I forget too. my friends always tease me that they told me this. but  we will always help. 

I just think having an open mind, and knowing you have to be patient to crack the codes sometimes - is how you progress. and also embracing that some of these things are going to just be hard as poop. (and they are supposed to be). and some maps are just weird. Hector's Abyssal - really easy for me. Alm's HARD?! HARD for me. it comes and goes. 

I don't think you suck, you'll figure it out. but just know it takes time. if i can get relatively decent in a short amount of time - i'm confident you can figure it out too. 

Thing is, I've been trying to figure more of it out for many months. Maybe even a year now. That feels like too long... But I guess all I can do is either keep trying or give up. Hector was the only LHB abyssal I completed on my own too. lol Frederick tanked the crap out of it. XD

So on another note, I don't really like Heroic Ordeals. It forces you to use a certain unit in each one, and that unit will always seem to be at some big disadvantage, and you're only allowed to use two units while each map has four enemies. This is just dumb. At least I can clear enough of them, it seems.

And speaking of Dragon Flowers, how come only certain units can use them ten times while others can only get five?

Edited by Anacybele