Jedi's Thoughts on the FE Warriors news

Jedi

To be honest, I'm pretty disappointed by this news. I understand why they narrowed down the roster, but it kind of makes me question why they included the weapon triangle at all. Sure, it's a Fire Emblem game, but it doesn't need it. The main point of the game is fanservice, to let everyone play as their favorite characters all in one game. The most popular characters are the lords, so they could have just given them different weapons (like they do in Hyrule Warriors).

I'm trying to be excited still, but it's hard because I don't care about many of the side characters from Awakening and Fates. I think it could have been nice if there were 2-3 representatives for each game/series in the initial roster. For example, it could have been Marth and Caeda from Archanea, Ike and Micaiah from Tellius, Chrom and Lucina from Ylisse, and more of that idea. It could be argued that there are too many swords, but they could just have different weapon options to counter that. Non-lord fan favorites could have been added in as DLC, as well.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, WinterMidnight said:

To be honest, I'm pretty disappointed by this news. I understand why they narrowed down the roster, but it kind of makes me question why they included the weapon triangle at all. Sure, it's a Fire Emblem game, but it doesn't need it. The main point of the game is fanservice, to let everyone play as their favorite characters all in one game. The most popular characters are the lords, so they could have just given them different weapons (like they do in Hyrule Warriors).

In any Koei-Tecmo collaboration they try to be as true to the source game while incorporating their warriors style, I don't see why this is much of a surprise to you that they'd focus on the weapon triangle. 

Sure some of their wording is questionable, but I'd rather they tried to do a mixture of FE & Warriors than just make a straight up Warriors game with an FE skin.

I don't think DLC is ever a thing to look forward to, but them's the breaks I suppose.

Anyway, I've said it a number of times already, I'm simply waiting for gameplay plus the bells and whistles off the battlefield. It's another musou game, it's not any more or less special than the others to me, so I'm approaching it the exact same way as the others. (besides anyone actually familiar with KT is equally familiar with the expression 'talk is cheap')

Edited by Soledai

19 hours ago, Lord-Zero said:

The problem with those like Lyn is that we're getting Ryoma and most likely Navarre and/or Lon'qu to cover speedy, eastern style swordsmanship. Eliwood can actually be a mounted unit and ride into battle with the massive Durandal but then we got Xander. Lucina is in an even harder spot due to the fact that anything regarding sword fighting, Marth and Chrom can do better. Even Smash's Sakurai deemed her as a "Marth for novice players" (Unless they go and pull the Spring or Bride variants to balance the roster and still include her) for Smash 4. Sword-wielding characters are already taking a pretty big part of the roster with the 3 OC's,  Marth, Chrom, Ryoma, Xander and Corrin. That's 8 sword users already. 

Taking into account the 3 game focus, what are the chances of seeing Ballistician Jake in this game? 

I'd be heartbroken if Ryoma and Lon'qu or Navarre get in, but not Lyn.

Lyn as a Sword/Bow character could also give her a unique role. She's the only very prominent character that has that weapon combination. And given that she was the #1 most popular character in the Heroes poll... I don't think there's anyway they could exclude her. I'd still expect the FE7 lord trio, though they'll probably be the only FE7 reps.

3 out of 25-35 characters being from FE7 isn't a stretch at all.

Ryoma would have his Riajinto electricity powers, Lyn could have sword + bow, that would differentiate them.

What about Ike? #1 male in the Heroes voting contests. But his slow and brutal fighting style could be just as well done for Chrom. I'd still think he'd get in, being the a major character in 2 games.

This makes me worried for Eirika though, as Roy, Eliwood, or even Marth could be given a fencer style.

I'd think Ephraim has a decent shot as a spear fighter though. Maybe he'll be the sole FE8 rep then, if Eirika doesn't get it in?

Edited by Xaos Steel Wing

I disagree that fanservice is the whole point of collaboration Musous, at least in the sense that it should have characters from every game in the series. Hyrule Warriors was good because the end produce was able to blend Zelda and Musou conventions and gameplay into one cohesive whole and it didn't need to take from every game in order to get that kind of experience. That they are aiming to do that with Fire Emblem Warriors is something I very much like about this.

4 hours ago, WinterMidnight said:

Basically, to have something similar to HW's weak point gauge and elemental weapon relationships. As for fanservice, they have FE Heroes doing that. 

I can accept an Akaneia/Ylisse/Hoshido/Nohr roster, as I've already stated. But I still think we're getting characters from other universes as DLC later on, likely with their own side stories. 

If I can wish for one character, I still hope Micaiah makes it in. Normally I wouldn't get too much hope on this, but since they seem to be aiming for diversity, her chances may be quite better than we may think. 

44 minutes ago, Jave said:

I can accept an Akaneia/Ylisse/Hoshido/Nohr roster, as I've already stated. But I still think we're getting characters from other universes as DLC later on, likely with their own side stories. 

If I can wish for one character, I still hope Micaiah makes it in. Normally I wouldn't get too much hope on this, but since they seem to be aiming for diversity, her chances may be quite better than we may think. 

Micaiah would be great. I would kill for a Dawn Brigade pack including Micaiah, Nolan, Edward, Leo, and Sothe. That would be the shit, but I doubt that would happen.

I don't think DLC is ever a thing to look forward to, but them's the breaks I suppose.

@Soledai I have to disagree. As long as DLC is not cut from the main game, like Destiny does for example, DLC isnt a bad thing. Smash did a great job with DLC, and Borderlands 2 is another one that comes to mind for good DLC practice. DLC should serve the purpose of continuing the games life after release. Borderlands 2 lasted for nearly an extra 2 years after release because their DLC added legitamite new content to the game that was worth the price and clearly wasnt cut from the base game. Smash was similar, it added a lot to the game and made its lifespan longer, and all they did was add some characters from time.

"DLC" as its called has been around for a very long time. Everything from the old expansion packs to games like Warcraft II, Xcom, etc to even the old extra books for D&D like various modules and books like Unearthed Arcana or Complete Warrior. None of those are needed for the base game. None of their existence took away from the base game. All they did was add to it, at a later date. So DLC isnt something new, nor is it some evil work of Hell itself. And yes, it can be something to look forward to. Guessing what the new character for Smash was going to be brought people a lot of enjoyment. The DLC for Borderlands 2 added a lot to what was already a great game. How is that such a bad thing?

Edited by Tolvir

Hyrule Warriors also did a very good job with the DLC. (At least internationally, and Hyrule Warriors Legends would use the international model for both Japan and the west.) Alongside the characters, we were given a new Adventure Mode Map based on the game the new characters came from with each map packing scenarios that wasn't in the main game, so that you had new content to try out instead of just the character. You could also try to unlock a new battle scenario which would be a standalone story that would give the DLC characters some interactions with the main cast.

The one thing that gets under my skin a little bit is the statement as to why their not including the main characters. I call bull on that. Hector or Ephraim anybody? I mean these characters kind of have a preceding reputation, and use the axe and lance respectively. It almost sounds like they're not even trying to have a diverse cast and just making excuses. And quite frankly any unit that's not a mage, archer, or soldier can use swords so that really doesn't help their case much. Actually you could throw flying units into that list too but in the GBA games flying units when promoted did get to use swords so it depends on what game you're referring to for that one

11 minutes ago, SavageVolug said:

The one thing that gets under my skin a little bit is the statement as to why their not including the main characters. I call bull on that. Hector or Ephraim anybody? I mean these characters kind of have a preceding reputation, and use the axe and lance respectively. It almost sounds like they're not even trying to have a diverse cast and just making excuses. 

The problem with those two in particular is that you cannot just include them. For Hector, you need Eliwood due to main character status and Lyn. As for Ephraim, you cannot just bring one Renais twin and leave out the other one. They're very close.

Basically, this is Hyrule Warriors all over again. The 3 game focus allows them to make a story without it being too convoluted or having it fall apart due to the excessive amount of worlds being brought in. This isn't like FE Heroes where the story is rather episodic with the developers giving the story bit by bit. FE Warriors doesn't have that luxury. If this is anything like Hyrule Warriors then the DLC could expand things and bring in new story scenarios and characters from other FE games. 

@Tolvir Side tanget: nothing was really held back from Destiny. There was incomplete stuff on the disc because they actually couldn't finish it. Bungie's engine sucks and development was incredibly troubled (the lead writer was fired and the delay was to dismantle the OG campaign and throw together the bare-bones one that it shipped with, for instance). Square's major titles would be a much better example.

Anyways, considering HW's structure, anyone else think that after the opening section there'll be a "campaign split" of sorts going through each game? Maybe have the twins and Darios each lead their own branch to gather allies.

20 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

@Tolvir Side tanget: nothing was really held back from Destiny. There was incomplete stuff on the disc because they actually couldn't finish it. Bungie's engine sucks and development was incredibly troubled (the lead writer was fired and the delay was to dismantle the OG campaign and throw together the bare-bones one that it shipped with, for instance). Square's major titles would be a much better example.

Anyways, considering HW's structure, anyone else think that after the opening section there'll be a "campaign split" of sorts going through each game? Maybe have the twins and Darios each lead their own branch to gather allies.

Ok, good to know. I can correct that with a better example.

Im unfamiliar with how Hyrule Warriors worked, but I could see Darios and the Twins going seperate ways like that. It could be used as a way to introduce more characters on each "path" and let them have a piece of the story without taking from others. If it was all on one path then it could get a little crowded in terms of characters. Seperating would probably be the best route to go imo. Not sure if they will actually do that. Guess we will have to see in 2 weeks. Hopefully we get some big reveals on all of it.

24 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

It would make sense given how the games are split, but Marth was shown with both siblings. That doesn't rule it out as maybe Marth stumbled into their world, but it would seem to hurt it.

58 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

It would make sense given how the games are split, but Marth was shown with both siblings. That doesn't rule it out as maybe Marth stumbled into their world, but it would seem to hurt it.

Marth and Chrom seem to be the "starter lords", being shown off alongside the twins.

Maybe it could be two paths, with Hoshido and Nohr being split? Especially if Darios is actually an antagonist.

59 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Marth and Chrom seem to be the "starter lords", being shown off alongside the twins.

Maybe it could be two paths, with Hoshido and Nohr being split? Especially if Darios is actually an antagonist.

Hmm, can I choose just Ylisse/Archanea instead?

Just now, The DanMan said:

Maybe both? It's all speculation at this point.

It was more of a joke on how I don't care for fates. In all seriousness, I would love to see Awakening vs. Fates if Fates didn't have so many more characters.

Just now, Arthur97 said:

It was more of a joke on how I don't care for fates. In all seriousness, I would love to see Awakening vs. Fates if Fates didn't have so many more characters.

I meant "why not have one side be classic Archanea and Nohr and the other side be Awakening and Hoshido"? I'm just interested in what they'll do, really.

9 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

I meant "why not have one side be classic Archanea and Nohr and the other side be Awakening and Hoshido"? I'm just interested in what they'll do, really.

Could be. I honestly can't decide who would side with which Fates kingdom though. Honestly, none of them seem like they would approve of Nohr. Of course, it could all be about first impressions.

1 hour ago, Arthur97 said:

Could be. I honestly can't decide who would side with which Fates kingdom though. Honestly, none of them seem like they would approve of Nohr. Of course, it could all be about first impressions.

My logic is that Conquest has the harder, more classic slant going while Birthright pandered heavily towards Awakening's gameplay (believe the TCG has actually done something similar with its card sets).

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

My logic is that Conquest has the harder, more classic slant going while Birthright pandered heavily towards Awakening's gameplay (believe the TCG has actually done something similar with its card sets).

Pandered, huh? In any case, I still don't see Marth siding with a conquering nation, and I can't see Chrom siding against Marth. Maybe Archanea/Ylisse vs. Nohr/Hoshido would work better.

30 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Pandered, huh? In any case, I still don't see Marth siding with a conquering nation, and I can't see Chrom siding against Marth. Maybe Archanea/Ylisse vs. Nohr/Hoshido would work better.

No hero in FE likes conquering, and any war of conquest one participates in is either due to manipulation (early FE3, FE4 Gen 1 C2-3, FE6 Western Isles, Conquest), or a counterattack on foe who struck first (FE1-3, 6, 8, 9).

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

No hero in FE likes conquering, and any war of conquest one participates in is either due to manipulation (early FE3, FE4 Gen 1 C2-3, FE6 Western Isles, Conquest), or a counterattack on foe who struck first (FE1-3, 6, 8, 9).

Well, it would still be nice to see the Archanea universe vs. the Fates world.