Rate the Unit 18: Asvel

Silvercrow

I guess I'll take over this since it's one of the few things that keeps me posting

Dat Rules (stolen/borrowed from Integrity, which where then copied from the FE10 ratings)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Normal Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get home from school, between 1500 and 1600 EST.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a warp staff" or any other justification as an argument.

- Rating a unit too low because you think its overrated will make me throw away your vote without mercy.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

- Scrolls do have impact on a unit's rating. Though they are counted as a seperate point, but no more than +/-1. So that means one point for bias and one for scrolls!

- Warp skipping has an impact on scores in so far as "Safy has an high base staff rank". Nanna would score lower than Safy because of her lower rank, but no chapter is explicitly said to be skipped. You can't get Warp and then suddenly say every character after doesn't exist or requires turns to recruit. Something could be said of Xavier, or Conomore/Amalda who are in an escape chapter where Leaf starts next to the escape point.

Ronan: 2.42

Marty: 2.89

Tanya: 3.82

Dalsin: 4.38

Evayl: 5.02

Brighton: 6.90

Machua: 7.03

Halvan: 7.35

Dagda: 7.54

Rifis: 7.70

Leaf: 8.18

Karin: 8.50

Felgus: 8.79

Othin: 8.86

Lara: 8.92

Fin: 9.06

Safy: 9.48

One of the best units in the game, Graphcalibur has monstrous utility and dealing magic damage is a huge boon in Thracia

9/10

Edited by Silvercrow

Asvel is excellent. Even at level 1, Graphcalibur is light enough to let him double enemies with 0 AS and, with a 75% speed growth that can be boosted to 105% with the Sety scroll (also boosting his magic by 10%!), he'll be able to double with all the Fire and Thunder tomes Rivis can steal for him. His PCC of 3 goes well with Graphcalibur's massive critical, which allows him to do one every Pursuit attack. Even with more generic weapons, Thunder tomes have an innate critical of 5 and Asvel recieves support from Leaf. If it wasn't enough, he even has Continue. Defensively he's not very good with 22 HP/0 Def bases, but he comes with a Shield ring nearby, while he can use the Life ring when he gets out of Manster. Because he's a level 1 unit, he grows at an amazing rate, especially with chapter 5's promoted enemies. By chapter 6, you can, and should, promote him. His promotion bonuses are so high that he'll likely cap Speed right away, while still having Magic and Skill in the teens as well as decent stats elsewhere. He also gains D staves to act as a frontline healer, a bonus rank in both Fire and Thunder, and even C Light. If he has any uses of Graphcalibur left, consider those for boss killing, since he'll be melting most mooks with generic tomes.

While he initially has a higher rank in Wind, it's not uncommon to see Asvel specialize in Thunder or Fire further into the game. Both have their perks and negatives. Opting for Fire gives you a unit that will make a good use out of all the Meteor tomes you acquire, while Elfire is much easier to use than Thoron thanks to a lower rank. Few mages in this game specialize in fire magic as well. On the other hand, Thoron is generally very common and extremely powerful and Thunder is easier to build up since Freege mages often carry Thunder tomes, which on top of that have 30 uses. In the end, I'd probably consider Thunder a better choice.

I'd also like to point out that he makes an excellent Ambush scroll user, moreso if he uses thunder magic. With a M Up boost and a few Thoron books, he can have up to 45 might, which is more than enough for Asvel to zap his enemies into ashes. Because he's often used to kill bosses, he wouldn't mind the Awareness scroll to make things easier either.

With Asvel, you have a magical powerhouse that doubles as a frontline healer. He takes a bit of ressources, but his output with them is greater than most.

9.5/10.

Ah, Asvel. He has Magic issues but you can just slap a Pure Water on him and let him buttsecks everything. If you're playing for ranks he's a good candidate for an early promotion as well, turning him into some monstrosity of a sage. Bosskills stuff if no one else is doing it very well, has high enough avoid during Manster to hide in the trees and shoot at cavaliers. Oh yeah, he has Manster utility. Beastly then, too. Even without Grafcalibur he's amazing. Also the only mage you'll have until you get Olwen. Always ends up being an MVP during Manster for me. I love him. So much. 10/10 A++++ seller will do business again

Edited by Agro

Thanks for taken over. You don't know how much of a necessity this is. ^^

Anyways, Asvel is awesome! He has Graphcalibur, with is better then Holsety. The only real downside for him that he'll take forever to learn other magic tomes, like fire and thunder.

9.7/10

Bosskilling, and can get staff rank up too!.

10/1 out of Manster with the first KProof.

Despite no mount, he makes up for it with strong 1-2 Range, bosskilling, h4xcalibur, and staff use.

10/10, I wish he had HolSety in ch 4x.

Graphicalibur is hax

Sages have great promotion bonuses

Sages have the best indoor move tied with Swordmasters

Even gets staff usage on promo (unlikely to ever get to warp but physic is doable I think?)

Only drawback is durability but fuck the guy bombs the fuck out of bosses and kills them before they can hit back fucking pro man

10/10

Has doubling issues very early on, but gets out of that rut very quickly. Hits 20 in magic, skill, speed and luck briefly after promoting - and is very deserving of the first hero crest. He requires very little babying, and he becomes one your most reliable boss killers. Even with a Fire tome, those stats allow him to deal about 23 magical damage, a 60% chance of a crit upon his second hit and 60 base avoid. Weapon accuracy stinks in this game, so sitting him on a forest will result in him dodging everything.

You can also do fun stuff like get him to A-rank in Thunder. Thoron Asvel is fun. His HP's decent too, so don't worry about him getting that tired.

9.75/10 - I can only fault him for his fragile start.

Oh man, with Asvel, killing bosses on thrones are very easy, especially if they have no 1-2 range weapon. His personal tome, Grafcalibur, has already an innate critical, and coupled with his moderate PCC (3) he would most likely crit after a second attack. He starts at level 1 and has a lot of time to grow. If i were to give him a downside it would be his lack of a physical defense, but with his growths, eh would rather dodge than get his. Amazing unit, one of the best!

9.5/10

10/10. I was going to give him 9/10 due to his vulnerability to physical attacks. Then I realized that with his speed, he'll hardly ever get hit. He just capped speed upon promotion in my game. Plus, he's an absolute necessity in chapter 8x.

Early promotion is recommended. As his staff weapon rank levels up more slowly. As well as getting him to use the Sety scroll till Marty joins, so he can start doubling more quickly and getting some better dodge in a shorter amount of time. If you can get his Thunder tome rank to A, he can then be a good candidate to use to try to recruit Xavier in Chapter 18 by having him off the Freeji's with Bolting getting them out of the way while you try to put the Lenster Armors to sleep. Gets you out of tight spots in Manster with Aircalibur and becomes a good boss killer later in the game! Especially with armors. Alot more useful if you can get his staff rank to C by having another Restore user. Can be done by promoting him at 10/13.

9.9/10

Edited by アイネ

One of the games best boss killers (try killing Gomez without him!), ridiculously broken personal weapon, nice PCC, can promote early and get amazing promotion gains, can use Fire and Thunder off the bat, Staffs on promotion, has Continue... what MORE could you ask for?

10/10

One of the games best boss killers (try killing Gomez without him!), ridiculously broken personal weapon, nice PCC, can promote early and get amazing promotion gains, can use Fire and Thunder off the bat, Staffs on promotion, has Continue... what MORE could you ask for?

10/10

I used my RNG Blessed Rifis to steal his weapons, then had Marty capture him.

This obviously won't apply for every playthrough.

Anyways, Asvel is awesome! He has Graphcalibur, with is better then Holsety.

It's more useful than Holsety, not necessarily better.

I usually don't like using Shota characters but Asvel is the exception. He makes a great bosskiller. Has 3 PCC and the Continue skill.

His personal weapon Graphcalibur is Win. He promotes to Sage, which gives him a nice promotion bonuses.

9.5/10

Many "shotas" in FE for not to pick one xD

Asvel is that shota... really helpful and a pretty good unit... pretty fast, with good growths

Score 9/10