Information topic (spoilers)

Never got the Silver Card myself, so whoo, no bother for me.

Ah, and the arena serves an awesome purpose. Killing units you don't want to use without sacrificing a unit slot for a chapter. And, units who die have their inventory sent to storage, it seems.

Edited by Celice

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was in Shadow Dragon as well. This is kind of a failsafe for losing things like Star Shards and Orbs.

This feature seems to exist for a while now. I know Radiant Dawn had it too.

hey I'm a dumb faggot with some questions

"Casual" mode? Is that like...units come back or something? If so, that would make lunatic mode bearable, because it's quite annoying for me due to gay reinforcements and bad luck. How would I select this mode?

US release date?

Can someone tell me what's up with the My Unit stuff? Like, what options affect what when you make him?

"Casual" mode? Is that like...units come back or something? If so, that would make lunatic mode bearable, because it's quite annoying for me due to gay reinforcements and bad luck. How would I select this mode?

Units come back in the beginning of the next chapter. It's on the right side of the selection after you select Lunatic.

US release date?

Unsure.

Can someone tell me what's up with the My Unit stuff? Like, what options affect what when you make him?

This topic has some info on it

This was in Shadow Dragon as well. This is kind of a failsafe for losing things like Star Shards and Orbs.

Oh that's boring. Fuck it, let it rot, their dead and the spoils to the victor.

Actually, that'd be pretty badass. Your unit is dead, an enemy gets your badass forged sword, and now you're fucked. Hm. I kinda like that idea.

Actually, that'd be pretty badass. Your unit is dead, an enemy gets your badass forged sword, and now you're fucked. Hm. I kinda like that idea.

Only if it works in reverse more often (that includes the crazy stuff in Lunatic).

Yeah, but then asshole reviewers like me would kill the game in their reviews.

We're beyond the days when gameplay mechanics like that work. The casual fan owns the market, and they are being catered to.

When did game mechanics like that ever exist?

Past Fire Emblems. It's been awhile since I've played, and I'm scratching for specific examples, but the holy weapons in the GBA games come to mind.

Yeah, but then asshole reviewers like me would kill the game in their reviews.

We're beyond the days when gameplay mechanics like that work. The casual fan owns the market, and they are being catered to.

I sure see how it caters to casual fans, the group that doesn't care about ranks and perfecting stuff and the harder difficulties where this would matter and would just keep playing on when stuff goes wrong, to impose a punishment that will never, ever be felt by anyone but the casual fans since the "hardcore" players will reset the instant anyone dies anyway because of ranks, seeing every bit of the ending, and all that kind of stuff.

Just checked one of the JP wikis.

It looks like nothing is unlocked for clearing Lunatic' mode.

Source: http://wiki.gamerp.jp/fe/data/276.html

I wonder if you mean Lunatic in reverse mode...

If no unlockables exist on lunatic: v. 1(non-reverse), then I wonder if that's rough proof that when and if this game comes to my native country(USA), lunatic: v. 1 won't be in the version I will be getting: the US version...

Why, oh why, Nintendo: We got FESD:H5, you gave people a chance to figure out ways to beat it, but if the no Lunatic unlockables is a sign, then you will be getting disappointed looks from those people that figured out H5 and want a further challenge via Lunatic, but don't understand Japanese to give them a lifeline should the US version does not have what they desire...

^ Although I'm not one of the "beat H5 without too much difficulty" crowd, I feel pity for those that are in that crowd...

Edited by shadowjam

The only mode that they have outright removed is Maniac Mode from FE9, and Maniac Mode was only removed because a lot of players complained about the difficulty. Yes, FE10's Hard Mode got hit pretty hard with the nerf bat (although I don't know if that was their intent) and FE7 saw a few slight nerfs.

I would be surprised if Lunatic Mode goes, as much as people like to say that it will be replaced with "Easy Mode."

Maniac wasn't hard. It was fun. It made you actually think before you threw your shit out there. Like the Prologue missions on this game on Maniac and Lunatic. It's not all about throwing a unit out on terrain at first.

Naturally though once the game gets rolling it's pretty easy for your characters to always beef their way through, after a few level ups and over all player-advantage stuff.

Maniac wasn't hard. It was fun. It made you actually think before you threw your shit out there. Like the Prologue missions on this game on Maniac and Lunatic. It's not all about throwing a unit out on terrain at first.

I'm just saying what I've heard. =/

Naturally though once the game gets rolling it's pretty easy for your characters to always beef their way through, after a few level ups and over all player-advantage stuff.

You are referring to FE9 Maniac here, not FEDS2 Lunatic, right? >_>

Both of them. Once you get through the game, you can't help it--player advantage with the ability to forge, abuse, and everything else always gives the upper hand, especially those who are patient. Fuck, you even have an Arena to abuse at all times and never lose. But, that's what makes the early chapters so much fun. You don't get that abuse. You're stuck with what you have, and that's relying on your chance and plans to go through.

That's the only problem with difficulty in Fire Emblem. At some point, no matter what, it's going to become doable. It just depends on how much the player has prepared and taken the time to do so.

Edited by Celice

Yeah, I gotta agree with A Boy Named Sal on that one. It's 2010; no game design should include the chance that if you don't do some things right, you have to reset your game and start again, wasting... what, 10, 15 hours? In a saturated market - look in your average Gamestop, the market is literally flooded with games, both quality and not quality - that's a great way to ensure that no one finishes your game.

On the contrary. I think that's what strategy games are for, especially the ones that are player vs. CPU and not player vs. player. If you're given a chapter that can be cleared in about 24 semi-unique ways with no deep level of precision, that is, by definition, an easy chapter. If you're given a chapter that can be cleared in about 4 semi-unique ways with utmost precision, then that chapter is considered to be difficult.

Both of them. Once you get through the game, you can't help it--player advantage with the ability to forge, abuse, and everything else always gives the upper hand, especially those who are patient. Fuck, you even have an Arena to abuse at all times and never lose. But, that's what makes the early chapters so much fun. You don't get that abuse. You're stuck with what you have, and that's relying on your chance and plans to go through.

A. Arena abusing is very difficult. If you lose 5 (?) times the game throws you out and won't let you do so again.

B. Making a forge that lets you go from 2HKOing (which already is +4-5 to might) to OHKOing is extraordinarily expensive (we're talking 60k+ gold for a 20 use weapon here).

C. Warp is gone. Silence is gone. Even the Silver Card is gone. They've been replaced by Fortify, Physic, and a Vulnerary respectively. Yes, a Vulnerary replaces the Silver Card. Their trolling is maximum.

D. You've got capped stats? Hi, I'm Generic Ch. 22/23 Sorceror #6. I have 160 hit and 40+ resistance ignoring attack and the combined HP/Def that you're going to need a Brave weapon to take no counter (and on Reverse Mode you have to take a counter anyway). Please ignore the half dozen Dragon reinforcements, half of which are immune to magic and the other half of which have 27 Speed (cannot be doubled) spawning behind you every turn, also with 40+ attack and 1-2 range.

E. This is the final boss. Only Falchion is super effective. I hope your Marth capped Speed.

Although I'm sure the game would be somewhat easier if you spent a month in a single chapter arena abusing so that your units capped Resistance so that the magic enemies without Glower are doing 40% of your HP rather than 70%, but since there's still about 60 Paladins in Chapter 19 that are still 2-3HKOing non-Generals.

And this isn't even the hardest difficulty. There's still Reverse Mode.

That's the only problem with difficulty in Fire Emblem. At some point, no matter what, it's going to become doable. It just depends on how much the player has prepared and taken the time to do so.

Yeah, I hate games that are beatable too. I also hate book series that have an ending, movie series that don't abruptly end, and kittens.

Especially kittens.

Edit: There's nothing wrong with Lunatic and Lunatic+ Mode's difficulty because they are entirely optional. Normal mode still exists for those that just want to play through the game, and H1 and H2 are also a bit more challenging but not as ballbusting as Lunatic. Classic and Casual Mode also exist. Having a sliding scale of difficulty like this is great for the consumer because it doesn't cause situations where one mode is too easy but the step to the next difficulty is wtfhuge. Want to play Hard Mode (perhaps for merged class sets) but you aren't that great of a strategist? You can play it on Casual. There's nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Paperblade

Are you forgetting the wifi features, paperblade? Being able to purchase multiple rescue staffs online, for example, does cut into the games difficulty significantly even on the final chapter. You yourself admitted you'd have an easier time of it if you didn't 'mismanage your rescue staves'. Oh and they are already offering maturity drops online for free to make the game easier as well. Don't pretend Lunatic mode has some kind of airtight, unmitigatable difficulty.. it's unfortunately a player defined challenge to stay away from the wifi store.

Or maybe you play on an emulator and really can't access the wi-fi store.

Or maybe your router is WPA encrypted instead of WEP encrypted. Or maybe you're traveling on a road trip and playing the DS from the backseat of your car.

Edited by dondon151