Mechanics that you want

Galenforcer

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[spoiler=Off-topic FE8]

That's no mistake, but rather a demonstration of the two stories that FE8 has rolled into its one. Not the two twins' stories, but the two versions of Lyon's story.

There's much more to explore with this that Banzai and I intended to show in our FE8 story analysis, and this really isn't the place to discuss it; perhaps we should make a thread in the FE8 board if you or anyone else wants to discuss it more. The gist of our conclusion is that FE8's story splits with the routes before FE8 even begins and first becomes apparent in Ch14; the real split is which of the "two roads" Lyon took when possessed by the Demon King. It's fascinating how well and how purposefully the evidence is distributed between the two routes; it's honestly the best example of storytelling I've seen in an FE game.

Of course, it would become far less meaningful in another game if the idea was simply repeated there. And yeah, having the same characters somehow appear in different places at the same time depending on the route was definitely a poor choice.

I know it's two versions of the same story, but the interaction with third parties (like Morva) should be exactly the same (maybe meeting a different manakete in one of the stories for a different, but similar boss, would actually make sense to me). What I wanted would be a third playthrough where I could use both routes, having some fillers for Ephraim (or even have some backstory for Ephraim's route before seizing Renvall, with all the extras being tired before 5x to keep the 4 people map).

About the characters, I think that it could be somewhat possible for some chars to appear where they do, like Cormag, who, if you don't recruit or kill him during Eph's story, could know of his brother's death and go to Eir's route.

About what YayMarsha said about wound-fatigue system is something I'd actually like to see. I think that the chars should have a stat where all the damage dealt to them was accumulated (call it pain), but it wouldn't go down when healed (or not at the same pace). If the character has an ammount of pain higher than a number of times his health (this would depend on class and/or skills), his battle performance goes down. It gets reduced at the end of every battle, but not necesarily to 0. This way, the player would avoid taking useless damage just to buy some levels to the healers (it would encourage to cure poisons to continously heal little damage everyturn).

^^^ Have you ever tried Super Robot Wars or Advance Wars?

Yeah, I've played some of both of those. Advance Wars is pretty bleh, but Super Robot Wars seems like a very promising series (judging from F/Final).

That, and it allows for enemy archers like this guy to exist.

Heh, I thought you were going to talk about the guy on the left in 6-2. He's such a jerk.

About what YayMarsha said about wound-fatigue system is something I'd actually like to see. I think that the chars should have a stat where all the damage dealt to them was accumulated (call it pain), but it wouldn't go down when healed (or not at the same pace). If the character has an ammount of pain higher than a number of times his health (this would depend on class and/or skills), his battle performance goes down. It gets reduced at the end of every battle, but not necesarily to 0. This way, the player would avoid taking useless damage just to buy some levels to the healers (it would encourage to cure poisons to continously heal little damage everyturn).

That's a really good idea. I checked the old Notepad document and it turns out that I was going somewhere else with the fatigue/wound system. I'll just paste the document (from 2008!) and spoiler it out, in case anybody wants some giggles. (I edited out some potential skill names, because they were stupid.)

[spoiler=Random dumb ideas]-----

(Skill) The idea is that when a unit reaches 0 HP, the option to use the skill comes up. When used, the unit will permanently lose 10? maximum HP, but revive with half HP (after the reduction). Haven't decided on any stat penalties per use, but maybe -1 each would work?

The reasoning is that it would be for Warrior type units, since they have HP to spare. This way, it could turn out that a unit will eventually just become too wounded (hence the HP reduction each time) to continue on effectively. Obviously, the skill would also prove useful for people who make mistakes and put the unit in a place which would usually mean death.

-----

-----

(Unit type) Wagon/Covered Wagon: I'm thinking a rather flimsy unit that can carry two units at a time and therefore Rescue/Take/Give/Drop twice per turn. In addition to this, units can fire out of the wagon. Perhaps to fix this potentially broken idea, only one unit can fire out of it in any battle (instead of both). In the case of a double, I think 1 attack from each unit in the battle would be an interesting fix (I'm thinking of the animation).

Now, on the defensive side, the Wagon is (as stated earlier) meant to be weak. Destruction of the Wagon should cause the typical Rescue death unit spit out, but add Stun status to any units that were on the Wagon (seems logical in a Wagon crash to me). Also, perhaps when attacked, all 3 units should take damage? Wouldn't make logical sense, but this unit needs a downside to balance it out.

-----

-----

(Unit type) Vampire/Bat: Too much Langrisser, but since the Laguz were used in two games, hear me out. Basically, the idea is similar to the Laguz, except that in Vampire form, the unit is obviously on foot. The idea is to make the Bat a REALLY weak form to be in (perhaps not in speed), but to gain a large amount of movement (say 6 Vampire and 10 Bat?). Obviously, Bat form would be used to get in behind people or catch up, since it would be borderline incapable of using Rescue.

As for combat in either form, I'm thinking a permanent fang weapon (much like Laguz) for both, with the Bat version being a lot weaker. Both would have HP restoring effects (obviously), but perhaps it could be damage/2 or damage/4 instead. As for stats, the Vampire would either be something like a Swordmaster (high speed/skill, fairly low for everything else), or a high strength/speed unit with poor stats elsewhere. The latter would help nerf the HP restore, because he would have to HIT the unit in the first place. Finally, both would have very high night vision range (again, obviously).

Also to take into consideration is the day/night factor. Initially, I was thinking a stat reduction for using a Vampire/Bat in the day, but right now, I'm leaning towards making said unit types only available for a few chapters (pre-promote or like the Black Knight, for example)...which would all take place at night. I also thought of having them be enemy only, so that you can get slapped with a lot of them in some night chapters. Would be easy to write a plot for, if you ask me.

-----

-----

(Field object) Guard Tower: This is something that should've been used in some shape or form by now. The idea is simply to give the unit added vision range and say +2 range/+3 damage for ranged units firing from one. I'd have the tower itself be attackable, so that it can be brought down from under your unit if you don't bail out quick enough. If this happens, I'd give the unit Stun status and around 5 damage.

-----

-----

(Other) Some sort of fire weapon: The idea would not only be to cause added damage to stuff like Guard Towers and walls, but to burn the grass (Bahamut Lagoon style). The fire would obviously spread around, making for good defense chapter potential (used against you). Any unit who is on a tile the fire spreads to would either die or lose a decent chunk of HP (stop, drop, and roll means nothing to them). Flying units would still feel the effects, but not as badly (small damage and severe loss of vision range from the smoke).

Important to note is that this sort of feature must never become player controlled, or else it would instantly become broken. People would just scorch a patch of grass and end turns until all the enemies die, making for a very stupid chapter.

On the other hand, if a player character does such a thing in a scene, I think that will work well. The idea being that a bad dude is hiding and you flush him out to your group.

-----

-----

(Unit type/Field object) Horse: Take the horses from Megami and make them mountable by any foot unit for that chapter only (could be cool in a large Thracian escape chapter). Perhaps since the horse could be wild, the foot unit takes a small stat reduction and only gets 7? movement while mounted. Obviously, re-move would be available.

-----

-----

(Unit type) Ninja? (or similar): Unit with high skill/speed that uses knives. The class would get 1 or 2 unique abilities (I prefer 2). The first would likely be an ability that ensures a double regardless of speed and the second would be a command skill. I'm thinking the command would split the double between two targets (one of them has to be at 2 space range). For example, the Ninja has an enemy 1 left of him and another enemy 1 up, 1 left of him. How the battle goes down would be a huge plus to the flashiness of Fire Emblem animations.

The idea would be to make both attacks land at the same time, regardless of which enemy you chose to attack first. Either way, the Ninja would throw a dagger and then run really fast to hit the other guy (since I can't think of any good options for melee then ranged coming out at the same time, other than a one-handed knife stab).

Of course, to accomplish this, both enemies would need to be present in the same area during the battle animation. The dude you chose for the ranged attack wouldn't counter unless he/she has a weapon capable of ranged attacks. If the enemy does have a ranged weapon and survives the attack, they can counter AFTER both attacks land. The hard part then is deciding which enemy gets first dibs on countering, in which case I think the melee enemy makes more sense.

Also, if one enemy dies and the other lives, the dead enemy would either fade away as usual, or stay in a kneeling pose until the battle ends (where they fade away and you gain experience). Now, if all 3 units somehow die in that battle (Counter/Aurora type skill?), uh...I have no idea.

To nerf/balance this command out, I think it's best to keep the experience cap at 100 per battle, regardless of whether he/she killed both at the same time. I'd also prefer to have it negate your own skills (meaning those initial attacks are all you get that battle) AND neither of the hits can critical.

-----

-----

(Other) Hand Axe animation change: Quite simply, the standard Hand Axe toss is silly. Not that it's entirely bad, but a simple two-handed overhead HEAVE would look much better. Now, I'd love to see it stick in an enemy's wooden shield, but that might be asking for a bit much.

-----

-----

(Skill) The concept here is one I think strays quite far from Fire Emblem's mostly simple mechanics, but it's still fun to think about. The idea is to have this be a skill that can be activated/de-activated on the map, and only usable by units' with large shields (mainly Armors).

When activated, the unit will assume a defensive stance in the direction they are currently facing and receive a defense (not resistance, so bring your can opener) stat bonus of perhaps 3 or more. The main concept for this would be on defense maps, and I would highly encourage the programmers to add in a working "Wall" command for NPCs.

Now, I know what you're thinking: "How is this not broken if you can leave it on all the time?" Allow me to explain the "cons" of such a skill being used:

1. The unit cannot move while the skill is in use.

2. The unit cannot attack on the Player Phase while the skill is in use. Counters work normally when an enemy attacks from the front.

3. The defense bonus DOES NOT apply if an enemy attacks said unit from the sides or behind. The unit will not turn to face them on the map, and will also receive a damage reduction for any counters.

The whole point of the skill is to use at as the ultimate meatshield option, thus restoring Armors to their original purpose. This also works effectively for training weaker units such as Archers, but make sure you plug the holes.

-----

(Skill) Spear Wall: Similar idea as the one above, but with Lancers and more focus on hurting the enemy. Basically, they would form a wall in front of them and any enemy who attacks the unit from the front will receive a certain amount of added damage. To make things fair/useful, I'd say to make this a fixed number (ignores defense). Added damage should be based on the weapon equipped, with effective bonus factored in (Knight Killers may actually become useful now!).

-----

-----

(Other) Enviroment effects, wounds/scars, and fatigue (yes, I said that dirty word): Let me tackle this one at a time:

Enviroment effects would simply be something in the battle area accumulating on your character. For example, when fighting in a desert for a long time, your shiny outfit will have become covered in sand. I can already predict the pervert response to this, and yes, rain counts too.

Wounds/scars are the same idea, only with damage instead of the climate. The character gets smacked with a big freaking axe, and they will develop a cut (of varying size, depending on remaining HP percentage) or gash to go with it (face or body, but clothing makes the latter an issue). I think this would go very well with the already added slouching for low HP units.

[Edit]: For wounds on the body, just have blood soak through the clothing. Staves aren't sewing machines, so clothes can't be ripped (though it would add realism).

Worth noting is that by healing, you remove some of these wounds (again, HP percentage). Would work quite well for staff usage effects, if you ask me.

Fatigue (DIRTY WORD AGAIN!) is just like it sounds, but with some of that low HP slouch added in. If said unit is on the verge of becoming fatigued, they will begin to look tired. I would go so far as to say they should incur some form of stat reduction for extreme fatigue, but I can just see the wimps rolling over in pain right now. Seems logical to me.

-----

-----

(Skill) Since I just gave myself this idea while writing the fatigue part, I shall explain this one. Simply put, this would double the unit's fatigue range. For example, if they have 40 HP at maximum, they must exceed 81 HP to become fatigued. This would be specifcally placed based on character personality (preferably locked to battle maniacs, like Warriors), to avoid abuse.

On further thought though, I'm thinking said skill should only be activated on the chapter after they exceed their standard HP limit. Basically, if you have 40 HP and 41 fatigue, the skill kicks in next chapter and allows the unit to participate. This would mean you could use that unit in any two consecutive chapters, but with one drawback: fatigue stacks and kicks in for the third chapter (given you exceed your maximum HP).

Either method seems fine and/or logical to me, so take your pick. If you take those two names for the skill and split them, you could just have two different skills with appropriate names.

-----

-----

(Other) Assassin enemies: Just like it sounds. The series needs more Assassin enemies roaming around, WITH Lethality available. Might make you think twice before sending one person in to slaughter an army, if they can be attacked at close range by one of those guys. Difficulty hike at the very least, which the series has needed for the past 4 games now.

-----

- Hide skill.

Not quite sure where I was going with that last one. :P

The conversations with Morva were different because in Ephraim's route, it was Lyon talking with Morva, whereas in Eirika's route, it was Fomortiis talking with Morva. That's my point. In Eirika's route, Fomortiis is controlling Lyon, while in Ephraim's route, Lyon is (to an unclear extent) controlling Fomortiis, so it only makes sense that any conversation involving either one could be different; that's how the distinction is shown.

Interesting thoughts about fatigue. I've thought about a fatigue system more like FE5's but where every time a character built up a certain number of fatigue points, their AS would go down slightly, and that could combine with that and the skills idea; I hadn't even thought about factoring in skills.

Interesting thoughts about fatigue. I've thought about a fatigue system more like FE5's but where every time a character built up a certain number of fatigue points, their AS would go down slightly, and that could combine with that and the skills idea; I hadn't even thought about factoring in skills.

A skill I thought that could be either a blessing or a curse would be "Mount Bond". This skill would involve mounting and dismounting, and having the mounts roam somewhat freely on the map (instead of puting your horse/pegasus/dragon in your pocket when dismounting), so mounting and dismounting would be somewhat similar to rescuing, but with two units "merging" into a new one. Well, the "Mount Bond" would give a character major bonuses to damage/hit/evade when mount and rider are close in the map (max when both are together as an only unit), but being reduced and becoming big penalties when they're too far away. Also, it would give the player complete control over the mount, just like any other character (so that it can be kept close to the rider). Other mounts would move somewhat random (with some movement dependent on the player and some would be random, but most of the times the mount would stay its ground). In these cases, the player movement part would be based on a rider-mount support (auto with no convs, it'd be weird, but funny at times gee_wiz_emoticon.gif). The support bonuses for the rider would be small but would fix their usually lower caps.

I've opened a topic about FE8 plot: http://serenesforest...showtopic=28585

[spoiler=Random dumb ideas]-----

(Skill) The idea is that when a unit reaches 0 HP, the option to use the skill comes up. When used, the unit will permanently lose 10? maximum HP, but revive with half HP (after the reduction). Haven't decided on any stat penalties per use, but maybe -1 each would work?

The reasoning is that it would be for Warrior type units, since they have HP to spare. This way, it could turn out that a unit will eventually just become too wounded (hence the HP reduction each time) to continue on effectively. Obviously, the skill would also prove useful for people who make mistakes and put the unit in a place which would usually mean death.

This actually sounds incredibly cool. Call it Unstoppable.

(Unit type) Wagon/Covered Wagon: I'm thinking a rather flimsy unit that can carry two units at a time and therefore Rescue/Take/Give/Drop twice per turn. In addition to this, units can fire out of the wagon. Perhaps to fix this potentially broken idea, only one unit can fire out of it in any battle (instead of both). In the case of a double, I think 1 attack from each unit in the battle would be an interesting fix (I'm thinking of the animation).

Now, on the defensive side, the Wagon is (as stated earlier) meant to be weak. Destruction of the Wagon should cause the typical Rescue death unit spit out, but add Stun status to any units that were on the Wagon (seems logical in a Wagon crash to me). Also, perhaps when attacked, all 3 units should take damage? Wouldn't make logical sense, but this unit needs a downside to balance it out.

Seems silly under the pretense that we have an entire unit based on this. How about we take some extra ideas on this, and we think of this. Units for Hire. We got gold, and not much to spend it on...

(Unit type) Vampire/Bat: Too much Langrisser, but since the Laguz were used in two games, hear me out. Basically, the idea is similar to the Laguz, except that in Vampire form, the unit is obviously on foot. The idea is to make the Bat a REALLY weak form to be in (perhaps not in speed), but to gain a large amount of movement (say 6 Vampire and 10 Bat?). Obviously, Bat form would be used to get in behind people or catch up, since it would be borderline incapable of using Rescue.

As for combat in either form, I'm thinking a permanent fang weapon (much like Laguz) for both, with the Bat version being a lot weaker. Both would have HP restoring effects (obviously), but perhaps it could be damage/2 or damage/4 instead. As for stats, the Vampire would either be something like a Swordmaster (high speed/skill, fairly low for everything else), or a high strength/speed unit with poor stats elsewhere. The latter would help nerf the HP restore, because he would have to HIT the unit in the first place. Finally, both would have very high night vision range (again, obviously).

Also to take into consideration is the day/night factor. Initially, I was thinking a stat reduction for using a Vampire/Bat in the day, but right now, I'm leaning towards making said unit types only available for a few chapters (pre-promote or like the Black Knight, for example)...which would all take place at night. I also thought of having them be enemy only, so that you can get slapped with a lot of them in some night chapters. Would be easy to write a plot for, if you ask me.

No offense, but it also seems silly. "Sillier than laguz" perhaps not, but why add fuel to the fire with what just seems like a swordmaster with a weird gimmick?

(Field object) Guard Tower: This is something that should've been used in some shape or form by now. The idea is simply to give the unit added vision range and say +2 range/+3 damage for ranged units firing from one. I'd have the tower itself be attackable, so that it can be brought down from under your unit if you don't bail out quick enough. If this happens, I'd give the unit Stun status and around 5 damage.

Well, FE10 was basically a step forward on this thought. Might happen.

(Other) Some sort of fire weapon: The idea would not only be to cause added damage to stuff like Guard Towers and walls, but to burn the grass (Bahamut Lagoon style). The fire would obviously spread around, making for good defense chapter potential (used against you). Any unit who is on a tile the fire spreads to would either die or lose a decent chunk of HP (stop, drop, and roll means nothing to them). Flying units would still feel the effects, but not as badly (small damage and severe loss of vision range from the smoke).

Important to note is that this sort of feature must never become player controlled, or else it would instantly become broken. People would just scorch a patch of grass and end turns until all the enemies die, making for a very stupid chapter.

On the other hand, if a player character does such a thing in a scene, I think that will work well. The idea being that a bad dude is hiding and you flush him out to your group.

Oh you silly. You know IS won't make magic useful...

(Unit type/Field object) Horse: Take the horses from Megami and make them mountable by any foot unit for that chapter only (could be cool in a large Thracian escape chapter). Perhaps since the horse could be wild, the foot unit takes a small stat reduction and only gets 7? movement while mounted. Obviously, re-move would be available.

This seems like a very lazy way to deal with Fire Emblem's "Mounted Units: The Game Syndrome". Make horse/pegasi/wyvern riding a skill. Hypothetical situation. You have an earlygame cav, and he sucks early but has a fantastic lategame finish, but you have no other mount. By midgame, you get 2 other cavs, and a few units who have Horseriding. You can dismount the original cav and have one of the new untis mount, dismount the other 2 cavs and have the new untis mount in their stead, etc etc. Could help greatly with variance in cast at least).

(Unit type) Ninja? (or similar): Unit with high skill/speed that uses knives. The class would get 1 or 2 unique abilities (I prefer 2). The first would likely be an ability that ensures a double regardless of speed and the second would be a command skill. I'm thinking the command would split the double between two targets (one of them has to be at 2 space range). For example, the Ninja has an enemy 1 left of him and another enemy 1 up, 1 left of him. How the battle goes down would be a huge plus to the flashiness of Fire Emblem animations.

The first skill sounds useless if he has high speed anyways. Secondly if you want a ninja, I would prefer it in the actual use of what a ninja actually does: Assassinates high priority targets. High foot mobility, innate Pass, and unique weapons for their class. Low Str, but specific weapons and skills let him take out some of the meaner targets with ease (let's say a skill that adds the difference of target and enemy defense into Str or something), and the things they aren't able to kill quickly they can still use things like few uses poisoned ranged weapons just to do some residual damage while he runs towards his actual targets (Perhaps even a skill that lets them attack at range and avoid counters form units that could counter back in that situation).

I just don't like the..."Super Secret Ninjutsu" types of ninjas. Not unless they're Bang Shishigami.

(Other) Hand Axe animation change: Quite simply, the standard Hand Axe toss is silly. Not that it's entirely bad, but a simple two-handed overhead HEAVE would look much better. Now, I'd love to see it stick in an enemy's wooden shield, but that might be asking for a bit much.

The DS games are at least taking a step forward with that.

(Skill) The concept here is one I think strays quite far from Fire Emblem's mostly simple mechanics, but it's still fun to think about. The idea is to have this be a skill that can be activated/de-activated on the map, and only usable by units' with large shields (mainly Armors).

When activated, the unit will assume a defensive stance in the direction they are currently facing and receive a defense (not resistance, so bring your can opener) stat bonus of perhaps 3 or more. The main concept for this would be on defense maps, and I would highly encourage the programmers to add in a working "Wall" command for NPCs.

Now, I know what you're thinking: "How is this not broken if you can leave it on all the time?" Allow me to explain the "cons" of such a skill being used:

1. The unit cannot move while the skill is in use.

2. The unit cannot attack on the Player Phase while the skill is in use. Counters work normally when an enemy attacks from the front.

3. The defense bonus DOES NOT apply if an enemy attacks said unit from the sides or behind. The unit will not turn to face them on the map, and will also receive a damage reduction for any counters.

The whole point of the skill is to use at as the ultimate meatshield option, thus restoring Armors to their original purpose. This also works effectively for training weaker units such as Archers, but make sure you plug the holes.

I advocate armors, but this sounds like a rather useless idea. Not unless you make defensive maps like Tahra of FE5, and crank the enemies all the way to 11 (cause I stand by that Tahra isn't that big a deal).

(Skill) Spear Wall: Similar idea as the one above, but with Lancers and more focus on hurting the enemy. Basically, they would form a wall in front of them and any enemy who attacks the unit from the front will receive a certain amount of added damage. To make things fair/useful, I'd say to make this a fixed number (ignores defense). Added damage should be based on the weapon equipped, with effective bonus factored in (Knight Killers may actually become useful now!).

Knight killers aren't useful...what...I don't even...Don't get me wrong I like the idea, but...Err...

(Other) Enviroment effects, wounds/scars, and fatigue (yes, I said that dirty word): Let me tackle this one at a time:

Enviroment effects would simply be something in the battle area accumulating on your character. For example, when fighting in a desert for a long time, your shiny outfit will have become covered in sand. I can already predict the pervert response to this, and yes, rain counts too.

...Relevance outside of aesthetics? If you really wanna take this into something that has a point, how about this? We combine this with Fatigue (in a different way), and let's say after accumulating some amount of...Whatever in such an environment, in combinement, you could still field the unit BUT they would be under the status of Diseased. Stat penalties, acts like poison on top, and units too close can catch it.

Wounds/scars are the same idea, only with damage instead of the climate. The character gets smacked with a big freaking axe, and they will develop a cut (of varying size, depending on remaining HP percentage) or gash to go with it (face or body, but clothing makes the latter an issue). I think this would go very well with the already added slouching for low HP units.

[Edit]: For wounds on the body, just have blood soak through the clothing. Staves aren't sewing machines, so clothes can't be ripped (though it would add realism).

How about kneecapping a horse with a big freaking axe, eh? Paladins won't be so high and mighty then.

Fatigue (DIRTY WORD AGAIN!) is just like it sounds, but with some of that low HP slouch added in. If said unit is on the verge of becoming fatigued, they will begin to look tired. I would go so far as to say they should incur some form of stat reduction for extreme fatigue, but I can just see the wimps rolling over in pain right now. Seems logical to me.

Now to ask this. Why? To force the use of other units? In a normal FE game, all this does is serve to make growth units even more useless. It only worked in FE5 because most units had great HP to begin with/their uses were very specific. In fact, in FE5, Fatigue was useless anwyays because the maps themselves demanded variance constantly (ignoring warpskipping and the fact that staff use was the entire lategame, probably my only complaint with FE5).

Fatigue is useless as it is. If we want it in, we want a revamp. Let's take FE6 Marcus just as an example. Extremely well experienced knight, knows what the hell he's doing and kicks ass in the name of Pharae. But that dude is old. He's not in the shape he used to be. He shouldn't quite have the stamina he used to. Make it a meter, seperate it entirely from HP. In a seperate sense, let's use a dude like Guy from FE7. Meh HP and Def, but that man is driven. He's got a goal, he's got the youthful energy, he's got that fire. He would push through some bodily woes for sure to probe he's the best.

An alternative could be that some characters suffer worse from fatigue than others. Sort of make this the replacement for the shitty Biorythmn system. THAT I might get behind.

(Skill) Since I just gave myself this idea while writing the fatigue part, I shall explain this one. Simply put, this would double the unit's fatigue range. For example, if they have 40 HP at maximum, they must exceed 81 HP to become fatigued. This would be specifcally placed based on character personality (preferably locked to battle maniacs, like Warriors), to avoid abuse.

On further thought though, I'm thinking said skill should only be activated on the chapter after they exceed their standard HP limit. Basically, if you have 40 HP and 41 fatigue, the skill kicks in next chapter and allows the unit to participate. This would mean you could use that unit in any two consecutive chapters, but with one drawback: fatigue stacks and kicks in for the third chapter (given you exceed your maximum HP).

Either method seems fine and/or logical to me, so take your pick. If you take those two names for the skill and split them, you could just have two different skills with appropriate names.

Let's add to the intrigue. This skill could reduce stats, but boost some. Like, gives a huge boost to crit, Str, what have you, but reduces stuff like speed and defense. Idea: Basically under this state your heightened crit could mean you more often could prove more cost effective with a weapon, but you are doing it with a steeper risk.

Call it Fury.

(Other) Assassin enemies: Just like it sounds. The series needs more Assassin enemies roaming around, WITH Lethality available. Might make you think twice before sending one person in to slaughter an army, if they can be attacked at close range by one of those guys. Difficulty hike at the very least, which the series has needed for the past 4 games now.

This is part of the reason I like Gorgons so much, as they are basically a unique kind of "assassin" in that they can put you in a very debilitating state that could easily result in your death for being careless. Would be cool if they did this sort of thing more often. Another factor on this was basically Berserk staffers, though they're about a billion times more bullshit because they can be a million miles away when they do it.

Now for some ideas I would like to see.

Skills with Charges: Bring some DnD shit in the mix. Have characters have a skillset that they can use, but certain moves can only be used so many times. Whether this goes up or not during level ups I dunno, but the idea is there.

Unique Classes: Some inspiration from Shining Force. Though on top of it, basically seperate skillsets form the usual, make them very unique in themselves. Spread the diversity a bit more.

Skillbuilding: More Shining Force inspiration, though more from SF3. Take this for example. FE10 you can reassign skills to whoever you want. What if the more they had it in battle, the better use they could put to it/more often it would activate? Some examples.

Cancel: Level 1-Activation=Skill. Level 2-Activation=(Skillx1.5), Level 3-Actvation=(Skillx2)

Wrath: Level 1-Activation occurs at 35%, gives 50 crit. Level 2-Activation occurs at 50% HP and gives 60 crit. Level 3-Activation occurs at 60% HP, gives 70 crit.

etc etc. The Wrath one is a bit WHOA, but I only do it for example's sake. Chanes of this actually happening are slim to none.

Edited by Grandkitty

No offense, but it also seems silly. "Sillier than laguz" perhaps not, but why add fuel to the fire with what just seems like a swordmaster with a weird gimmick?

Yeah, like I said, I just fanboy'd (as in, lots of stupidity involved) up some stuff years back. A type of flying Swordmaster would be something I'd find fun, even if the concept is ridiculous. I like silly stuff, what can I say? Just be glad I didn't say they should all carry around Meteor spells for area-of-effect damage. :P

The first skill sounds useless if he has high speed anyways.

But what if he was fighting another (perhaps boss-like) Ninja or some crazy speed-capped enemy? That's probably all I was getting at.

I advocate armors, but this sounds like a rather useless idea. Not unless you make defensive maps like Tahra of FE5, and crank the enemies all the way to 11 (cause I stand by that Tahra isn't that big a deal).

Being a huge fan of defense maps, you can probably see why this idea came to mind. Unless they did what you mentioned here, the skill would be useless for most players. Still, I'm one of the (seemingly) few people who likes to play extremely slowly (30+ turns per map is not a stretch) and maximize the use of chokepoints. So that might explain why this idea is appealing to me.

Knight killers aren't useful...what...I don't even...Don't get me wrong I like the idea, but...Err...

I assume they are much more useful for efficiency players. I never found them very useful when playing slowly and since this document was just me talking to myself...

...Relevance outside of aesthetics?

None. I'm just suggesting a little more effort in the graphics department (and realism), since 10 was the latest game at the time and it looked pretty bleh.

An alternative could be that some characters suffer worse from fatigue than others.

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. All I was aiming for with the fatigue part was a step toward realism, since I just don't see how an almost fatigued dude should fight as well as a fully-rested guy.

Skills with Charges: Bring some DnD shit in the mix. Have characters have a skillset that they can use, but certain moves can only be used so many times. Whether this goes up or not during level ups I dunno, but the idea is there.

Heck yes. This idea is great. Though I guess it sounds a little like SP in Super Robot Wars, which isn't a bad thing at all. Don't want to imagine the complaining from "wah, they break the game" types though.

I'd like promotions to not be tied to items like master seals or knightproofs that's always annoyed me a promotion system like the one in path of radiance or radiant dawn would be appreciated . I would really hate if they had a bunch of items for each class' promotion like in FE7 it's really annoying to keep track of them.

I'm thinking basically a 1-2 range crossbow with the type of shot determining the might, but the 1-range attack would be a melee attack. Probably strength/2 or something else totally wimpy, so that you're still expected to use them as ranged attackers.
people glossed over my idea ;-; i took it one step further by making it a Rapier. Although it should be a lower durability rapier if it's used... I don't believe it should be Str/2 but something like having a Mt of 3 (so you're better off using a Silver Sword or even a Steel Sword [depending on effectiveness bonus] if you're up against an Armor or Cav anyway).

The interesting thing about this game so far is that some of the enemies were undead enemies according to various descriptions- I wonder what they will do with that.

Good find. I don't know what it means for those enemies specifically, but it seems we're looking at another game with monsters, which means it'll most likely also have a navigable world map and all the stuff that goes along with that, as some people have been predicting. It'll be interesting to see what they decide to do with that this time, since that in particular gives them room for new ideas.

Edited by Othin

I'd like promotions to not be tied to items like master seals or knightproofs that's always annoyed me a promotion system like the one in path of radiance or radiant dawn would be appreciated.

The really annoying thing about the Tellius promotion mechanics is that the player is extremely limited in his choice of promoting a character below level 20. This is mitigated somewhat by the existence of BEXP that can essentially serve the function of a Master Seal (with the added bonus of a few levels of stat gains), but in a game without BEXP, I would not like to see the Tellius promotion mechanic return unless the game also gives the player ample Master Seals.

The really annoying thing about the Tellius promotion mechanics is that the player is extremely limited in his choice of promoting a character below level 20. This is mitigated somewhat by the existence of BEXP that can essentially serve the function of a Master Seal (with the added bonus of a few levels of stat gains), but in a game without BEXP, I would not like to see the Tellius promotion mechanic return unless the game also gives the player ample Master Seals.

I think that FE10 was pretty generous with Master Crowns, you get them at a pretty decent rate. It's fast enough that you do get promotions, but it's slow enough that you need to think about how you use them. I guess that the low caps kind of mess it up in that it's almost always preferable to promote early to get around the low tier 2 caps, but that's a seperate complaint.

I would want:

Rescue

Shove

Limitless reclass

3 promotions

FE10 formulas

FE10 style skills

FE10 syle supports, but with certain pairs getting full conversations

Trial Maps

Some sort of creature campaign

And now for some longshot ideas

Two generations

FE4 castle system

Shove definitely needs to come back. That was amazingly helpful, along with Canto, probably the best things FE9/10 brought to the series. Not sure what FE10 style supports would be like with actual supports though, think that may be a bit much. Would be nice if they could pull it off, FE7 except everyone with everyone, means that they'd get a lot of time to flesh out every character. No more Ilyana's, hopefully. I still don't know her backstory, unless I missed it. She just... seems to be really hungry, and that's about it.

Since this game seems to have a world map with skirmishes I'd especially like to see the Fatigue system from FE5 implemented. It would cut back on abuse, if anything. I'd of course also like capturing like in FE5 because I want to have a game where I can kill nobody.

Ultimately though it's the story I'm looking for and I'm hoping for superb writing which doesn't seem like too much to ask for with IS.

Also, holy crap is that YayMarsha, THE YayMarsha who laid the foundations for Othin's Excellent Berwick Saga Information Scrounge?

With fatigue building up over the skirmishes and not disappearing until the next actual chapter? That could work really well to keep it balanced, as long as it gets disabled for the postgame.

Could you imagine how long a game would be with 4 tiers and 2 generations? :blink:

I'd like 3rd tiers more if they cut the level cap to compensate. Maybe 15 levels per tier? That seems a lot more reasonable. 45 levels isn't so much more than the 40 levels in GBA FE.

Oh, and one more thing: bring back Casual Mode.

Edited by Anouleth

Eh, I didn't mind it too much in FE10. It felt like EXP was easier to gain to compensate for the three tiers. Maybe it was just me though, but I think three tiers of 20 levels each is fine. 15 each isn't a big deal to me either, since what I like most about third tier isn't really based on stats/level, just not sure why 60 levels is a lot.

With fatigue building up over the skirmishes and not disappearing until the next actual chapter? That could work really well to keep it balanced, as long as it gets disabled for the postgame.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. The problem is you could troll yourself and just get everyone fatigued by skirmishes so when you go into the actual chapter all you have is your Lord. Of course, that would be your own damn fault so I guess it's okay.

Man I'd love a postgame. One of my favorite aspects of FESS. I do hope they have that, complete with a challenge gauntlet (like Lagdou) and unlockable characters.

I still wish there was a trial mode which had unlockable characters from throughout the series... but characters from the story are cool too.

Also, something of interest to remember, is that one of the Fire Emblem interviews mentioned that there was a desire to make an overlapping, all-encompassing Fire Emblem one day, that sort of had an all-star ring to it. It'd be cool if this FE13 was a bit like that--if only in shaking things up.

I still wish there was a trial mode which had unlockable characters from throughout the series... but characters from the story are cool too.

Also, something of interest to remember, is that one of the Fire Emblem interviews mentioned that there was a desire to make an overlapping, all-encompassing Fire Emblem one day, that sort of had an all-star ring to it. It'd be cool if this FE13 was a bit like that--if only in shaking things up.

Well from what we've seen so far it seems to be all-original, although admittedly we've seen very little so far.

The problem with an all-star thing is that you couldn't really overlap everything due to constraints of canon. I may be wrong on my lore, but don't the Jugdral games take place long after the Archanea Saga? So that'd be troublesome if you wanted, say, Marth and Sigurd in the same game. Not to mention the overdose of blue-haired pretty-boys waving their giant swords around

Hm... Galle traveled to Archanea and gained his powers to form the Lopt Sect back on Yggdrasil while the dark dragons (or whoever it was) were still in power, which was at least a hundred years before the events of FE1/2/3. But FE4/5 then happened a few hundred years after that, so based on this, depending on when it all happened, the two groups could happen in either order or even at the same time. That said, I believe I remember reading some interview that said that there was a difference of a hundred years or more between the two groups; I think it was the Yggdrasil games that came first according to it, but I'm not certain.

Edit: http://serenesforest.net/general/designer4_2.html

Seems that's mostly correct - FE4/5 came earlier, but it's not clear how much. Probably at least a few hundred years, though.

Edited by Othin