SF Mafia Info Dump & Resources

Kaoz

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... high school?

That was 2 years earlier so no.

Also I said "personal". High school is the least personal thing there is.

Edited by Aleph

gonna post something Super Helpful that i stole politely took from some guy on another forum i've lurked on-and-off

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&cType=topic&
cId={TOPIC_ID}&search_author={USERNAME}

if you replace {TOPIC_ID} with the topic you want and {USERNAME} with the current username of the person you want, you can ISO other players (ISO = read their post in isolation)

so if you wanted to, say, view all of rein's posts from naglfar's game that he still hasn't made postgame for, you'd take the topic ID (29726) and rein's current username (apocalypseArisen) and put them into the url, like so:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&cType=topic&
cId=29726&search_author=apocalypseArisen

then if you paste that into your address bar, you can see everything he did in isolation, with his newest post first and his first post in the thread last. this would be hella convenient if that game was still ongoing and you wanted to have easy access to his posts so that you could get a better handle on his alignment

of course, if rein changes his name to include some ridiculously untypeable symbol again that link will become outdated.

this is mainly useful for NOC but I suppose it could have some slight OC application as well!

Edited by Prims

of course, if rein changes his name to include some ridiculously untypeable symbol again that link will become outdated.

this is still total horseshit because copy and paste exists but wtfever

• 3 weeks later...

Is saying someone's using an argumentum ad hominem because they answered agressively towards a player an argumentum ad hominem itself? I'm getting this weird feeling...

Is saying someone's using an argumentum ad hominem because they answered agressively towards a player an argumentum ad hominem itself? I'm getting this weird feeling...

:facepalm: You can post this in the thread you know. It wasn't that you argued aggressively, it was that your argument was about her playing style.

Itemafia is not a fair game to point out my mistakes because I gave up caring about it after a single phase due to personal reasons. If I recall correctly, it was a combination of work and sex that did it (Summer '11).

Anyway, another lesson for the former king of SF Mafia (now retired). Once again, directed at OC.

Talk.

No seriously. This is directed at anyone who has a "shit" role or no role. Talk to people in private. Find out how they feel about the game, set-up, suspicions... all of the good stuff. This is not a role-centered idea. The most useful person for his team is the one who digs up proper info on others, not the BG or Inspector.

I can point to thousands of examples where this worked. Pokemon Tactical Game let me grab info on the town easily. Train Mafia 2 put me in contact with both mafias as a townie as a Rogue (the ultimate throw-away role). Fallout 3 Mafia on Smogon (this was a LONG time ago) almost salvaged the village simply because we created a secret village net.

The ultimate weapon in your arsenal is your brain. Not your role. Start using it.

Itemafia is not a fair game to point out my mistakes because I gave up caring about it after a single phase due to personal reasons. If I recall correctly, it was a combination of work and sex that did it (Summer '11).

Anyway, another lesson for the former king of SF Mafia (now retired). Once again, directed at OC.

Talk.

No seriously. This is directed at anyone who has a "shit" role or no role. Talk to people in private. Find out how they feel about the game, set-up, suspicions... all of the good stuff. This is not a role-centered idea. The most useful person for his team is the one who digs up proper info on others, not the BG or Inspector.

I can point to thousands of examples where this worked. Pokemon Tactical Game let me grab info on the town easily. Train Mafia 2 put me in contact with both mafias as a townie as a Rogue (the ultimate throw-away role). Fallout 3 Mafia on Smogon (this was a LONG time ago) almost salvaged the village simply because we created a secret village net.

The ultimate weapon in your arsenal is your brain. Not your role. Start using it.

You forgot its cousin.

Read your past conversations

Pokemon TCG Mafia should've been over the minute Proto claimed nurse.

a request for future NOC hosts:

can we have more games with nighttalk turned off

I see people talking about how SF is bad at discussion, but the rulesets used here pretty much accommodate that

nighttalk is dumb, people have less reason to talk about their votes, plan ahead and get shit done during the day because "there's always the night phase". sometimes there's even an activity burst at night where people contribute more to the game than they did during the previous day phase which is complete bullshit and shouldn't happen. people should be talking when there's a lynch to be decided on, not when there are scum night actions to be decided on

if you have rulesets that give people leeway for bad play they don't have much reason to improve

this obviously doesn't apply to OC games, just NOC

I'd push for NOC games requiring majority to lynch too but I don't think anybody would support me on that

Edited by Prims

turning off nighttalk sounds okay

I think majority lynches are a bit too far too fast, though, but maybe in the future I think that'd be a good idea

I'd push for NOC games requiring majority to lynch too but I don't think anybody would support me on that

I really support you on this actually because I'm tired of lazy lynches where people with like two or three votes get lynched and it doesn't do a lot for information and doesn't encourage people to participate in active voting very much

Turn off night talk if we shorten night phases to 24 hours and people actually send their actions in

mods should be doing this too though.

if people are online but not sending in their actions, ask them directly

wait, I wanna talk at night during OC (unlike Shinori here)

but I am fine with both the suggestions of Blade and Prims for NOC, however, people have to accept early actions from me in case I fail to make it.

I do that.

I suppose a better reason to not have 24 hour night phases is that sometimes shit happens and people can't get at the computer (emergency or what have you) or are Blitz/Proto and have terrible internet