• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

*Sigh*

Tried Cree, it was okay, until America sent five Warriors right at my second city on a shared continent. Of course, I pick the (Canadian) Native Americans, and the United States tries to eradicate me, Civ bein' historical for once.

Tried Georgia for a Diplomatic Victory instead, I think I can get it done, but I pulled out of it early with some saves should I seek to try it again. Managing religion to maximize my City State suzerainty sounds complicated, since I don't want to eradicate other Religions to win that way. Holy Site construction slows me down too, even with Choral Music-Missionary Zeal-Mosques as my beliefs. I did land Mahabodhi Tempel and Hagia Sophia, with Potala Palace and Kilwa Kisiwani in the pipeline, rush to the Orszaghaz and Statue of Liberty afterwards and all the Diplomatic Wonders would be mine. I've only got 5 cities up at this point, and I coming to dislike deep ocean water, it's a chore and I need to expand, ideally I should make cities near the City States to keep them Eastern Orthodox- but Akkad is stuck between Poland (who I'm thinking is going to attack me eventually) and Egypt, two religion players I won't have it easy against. I'm feeling I've wasted my Renaissance Heroic Age, I've only about 30 Science and Culture at this point, and not even 100 Faith per turn either. 

Afterwards I swapped to China for a Cultural Victory based on early Wonder construction on a Terra Map. Roosevelt started maybe ten hexes from me. Is the Open Door Policy gonna be the prying the gates of my capital open? To avoid a repeat of the Cree attempt, I bulked up an army even as American troops gathered near, and I bribed Teddy into friendship instead of the big stick. I got a bunch of the early Wonders up to. Yet, I canceled this run entirely, because my starting location in the northeast corner of the continent permitted me to make only two good cities, and that isn't enough for an empire.

Next play will be either China on a new and hopefully much better map, a return to Georgia, Kupe on an Archipelago map for an easy Culture play (I'll jump to Emperor even b/c the AI won't be able to handle a sea map so well), or America or Canada for a simpler try at a Diplomatic Victory.

...This all makes me appreciate, simpler and faster genres of games, like RPG. But the slow and peaceful logistics of Civ is fun as an alternative.

Dipped my toes into Ys VIII for a bit after lectures this morning (uni lectures over livestream is so freaking weird, by the way).
So apparently, your goal is to make a settlement and in order to do that, you have to recruit various people scattered around the island.
I thought I was playing Ys, not Digimon World, lol.
Also apparently, ship wrecks aren't lethal in this universe. Good to know.

Combat will take time getting used to. First impression is that it's not entirely my cup of tea.

7 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Altina be like ''Bastard didn't even call once in the last few months. Couch penalty for the next 3 Months.''

XD

7 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Atleast Atlina seems fun

Altina good.
I had her in the lead whenever possible.

Edited by DragonFlames

35 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

uni lectures over livestream is so freaking weird, by the way

Yesterday my brother was suppossed to attend one...

VL-Skript was uploaded instead lmao. A 5 year old one.

If they were, Ys 1 wouldn't have happened xD.

XD

Expect more jokes like that whenever possible xD

Especially since it seems she's what Rean always needed...

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nah, seriously, even from the prologue i can already see she kinda makes him shine. She plays off him well, kinda like the co-protagonists of older arcs did. I hope that actually gets expanded over the game, and that she actually plays a co-protag like role.

Speaking about CS3...

I got a difficulty mode yesterday. Finally battles feel tense xD

Might even lower difficulty to Hard because SC prologue Nightmare difficulty for whole game sounds a bit oof xD. Will see how Chapter 1 on Nightmare in this mod goes.

Edited by Shrimperor

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Yesterday my brother was suppossed to attend one...

VL-Skript was uploaded instead lmao. A 5 year old one.

Oops
We had a few lags and hiccups, too. Seems the software isn't up to snuff yet. The lecture was cut short by it, too.
Though it was only introduction and stuff, so it wasn't all that bad.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

If they were, Ys 1 wouldn't have happened xD.

Too true.

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Expect more jokes like that whenever possible xD

Especially since it seems she's what Rean always needed...

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I mean...
I mean.

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Nah, seriously, even from the prologue i can already see she kinda makes him shine. She plays off him well, kinda like the co-protagonists of older arcs did. I hope that actually gets expanded over the game, and that she actually plays a co-protag like role.

Yup. The relationship between Rean and Altina is a definite highlight in this story.
It's in part why I feel like Rean is at his best in this game (though that isn't exactly a big hurdle, considering... you know).

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Speaking about CS3...

I got a difficulty mode yesterday. Finally battles feel tense xD

Might even lower difficulty to Hard because SC prologue Nightmare difficulty for whole game sounds a bit oof xD. Will see how Chapter 1 on Nightmare in this mod goes.

Good luck!

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Oops
We had a few lags and hiccups, too. Seems the software isn't up to snuff yet. The lecture was cut short by it, too.

Digitization and Germany.....

5 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Oops

XD

Yup. The relationship between Rean and Altina is a definite highlight in this story.
It's in part why I feel like Rean is at his best in this game (though that isn't exactly a big hurdle, considering... you know).

I think it confirms something i always thought: Rean needed a co-protag all along.

I don't think i would've liked the MCs of older games as much if they were sole protags. They always played each other off so well in older games.

Even in non-Trails Falcom games dual Protags are 👌

8 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Good luck!

Thanks^^

It's really good the fanbase is doing what Falcom doesn't

Just now, Shrimperor said:

Digitization and Germany.....

It's almost comedy at this point. XD

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Even in non-Trails Falcom games dual Protags are 👌

I believe that, since it works well in other games, too (see Megadimension Neptunia, where Neptune has to share with Uzume, Nepgear and the older Neptune, or Dragon Star Varnir, where you can make the argument that everybody in the playable roster is the protagonist).
I'm trying to incorporate a similar thing into my own stories, too, because I just like having two protagonists instead of a single one.

It's almost comedy at this point. XD

More like a tragedy XD

I believe that, since it works well in other games, too (see Megadimension Neptunia, where Neptune has to share with Uzume, Nepgear and the older Neptune, or Dragon Star Varnir, where you can make the argument that everybody in the playable roster is the protagonist).

Yup. I guess having more of a split focus is usually much more fun than whole focus on one dude/dudette.

atleast for me.

I'm trying to incorporate a similar thing into my own stories, too, because I just like having two protagonists instead of a single one.

Good luck^^

More like a tragedy XD

A tragicomedy. XD

Yup. I guess having more of a split focus is usually much more fun than whole focus on one dude/dudette.

atleast for me.

I think this has something to do with variety. You won't get tired of the protagonist as easily if there's another character with equal focus as them.
Though if the protagonist is really, really awesome, then I at least won't get tired of them, even if the focus is mostly on that character.
I wanted to stop shilling Nights of Azure but Arnice is one such example. As is Nights of Azure 2's Aluche.

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Good luck^^

Thank you!

Though if the protagonist is really, really awesome, then I at least won't get tired of them, even if the focus is mostly on that character.

True, but even then i would like for the side cast to be developed and not completely forgotten

EWIJqsZUEAMkjja?format=jpg&name=large

I've always found it humorous that you can target enemies and technically initiate battle even when you aren't in range. As long as they are within sight, you can do this.

Actually, having an Ether Cannon Blade with range-extending Aux Cores might allow me to fight enemies like this. But none of the Blades the story gives you are Ether Cannons so if i wanted to do that, i'd have to boot up my main save.

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Adol gets shipwrecked like in pretty much every game. Ys 7 is one of the few times his boat trips end safely. One day i'll return to it.

3 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

I think it confirms something i always thought: Rean needed a co-protag all along.

I don't think i would've liked the MCs of older games as much if they were sole protags. They always played each other off so well in older games.

Would that mean Lloyd's co-protag is just the entire SSS then? Estelle has Joshua, Keivn has Ries, but Lloyd doesn't have a singular co-protag. 

Hell, at least in Zero, you could argue the entire SSS is the protag.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

EWIJqsZUEAMkjja?format=jpg&name=large

I've always found it humorous that you can target enemies and technically initiate battle even when you aren't in range. As long as they are within sight, you can do this.

Actually, having an Ether Cannon Blade with range-extending Aux Cores might allow me to fight enemies like this. But none of the Blades the story gives you are Ether Cannons so if i wanted to do that, i'd have to boot up my main save.

Do it, this needs to happen! Also, you don't like sword bash as an arte either?

Finally best Crossbell girl joined.

Spoiler

Rixia

Also the final dungeon theme of Zero has a remake in Azure which is not less amazing.

Unfortunately it was played only for a very short moment.

Anyways calling it a day.

Final chapter will keep me busy for some more days...

Edited by Falcom Knight

Feel like sharing some brainstormed notes and ideas with y'all.

So, 20 years before the story proper begins, there is war going on between two nations, one smaller island nation, one bigger empire from the mainland. After five years of endless ocean warfare, the empire has the island kingdom on the ropes.
In a last ditch effort, the king of the islands orders the activation of an incomplete prototype of a super weapon that uses pure life energy as its power source and ammunition to wipe out the imperial forces that have landed on the shores of his territory and make the empire surrender in the face of so many losses.
Needless to say, the effort fails, the weapon malfunctions, and the entire island gets poofed off the face of the map, ending the war in favor of the empire.
But things only get worse from there: Only a few weeks later, the entire world is beset by powerful monsters and demons, because the barrier between the human and demon realms broke down due to the explosion. Way to go, island king.

Also, one of the two main villain's daughter got caught up in the explosion, which set him on the path to villainy, and he in turn caused the start of darkness for the second (and main main) villain as well.

13 minutes ago, Benice said:

Jack is getting busy, I see.

Well...

lm59Hjm.jpg

Though the actual context of Rapunzel's line in your quote is the following (spoilers in order to avoid ruining the joke):

Jack has a weird feeling in his stomach and Rapunzel asks him that in response. Though from the way that screenshot is framed, you might instead think she's talking to Alice (the black-haired girl) instead.

Edited by DragonFlames

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

Well...

Hide contents

lm59Hjm.jpg

Benice's sanity has been reduced by three.

So, 20 years before the story proper begins, there is war going on between two nations, one smaller island nation, one bigger empire from the mainland. After five years of endless ocean warfare, the empire has the island kingdom on the ropes.
In a last ditch effort, the king of the islands orders the activation of an incomplete prototype of a super weapon that uses pure life energy as its power source and ammunition to wipe out the imperial forces that have landed on the shores of his territory and make the empire surrender in the face of so many losses.
Needless to say, the effort fails, the weapon malfunctions, and the entire island gets poofed off the face of the map, ending the war in favor of the empire.
But things only get worse from there: Only a few weeks later, the entire world is beset by powerful monsters and demons, because the barrier between the human and demon realms broke down due to the explosion. Way to go, island king.

Also, one of the two main villain's daughter got caught up in the explosion, which set him on the path to villainy, and he in turn caused the start of darkness for the second (and main main) villain as well.

That's pretty good! Are you planning to have the barrier breaking thing be explicit or learned later on in the story?

6 minutes ago, Benice said:

Benice's sanity has been reduced by three.

Oh god, please don't go Blood Skelter on me.
Don't worry, nothing's actually happened between them. It was just used as an offhand joke to make Jack's life miserable (a common theme in this game, that) and to start Rapunzel's character arc of a feral child that's just starting to learn about the world and to overcome the fear of being alone and forgotten about. It's actually kind of sweet.
Has your sanity been restored now?

11 minutes ago, Benice said:

That's pretty good! Are you planning to have the barrier breaking thing be explicit or learned later on in the story?

That I am not sure about yet, actually. With the way things are right now, I could go both ways.

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

god, please don't go Blood Skelter on me.
Don't worry, nothing's actually happened between them. It was just used as an offhand joke to make Jack's life miserable (a common theme in this game, that) and to start Rapunzel's character arc of a feral child that's just starting to learn about the world and to overcome the fear of being alone and forgotten about. It's actually kind of sweet.
Has your sanity been restored now

That ruins my fanfic

Benice's sanity has been restored by 6.

#Japunzel?

3 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Do it, this needs to happen!

Did some shenanigans with Gladiator Orion

EWJUUuCUEAAB7co?format=jpg&name=large

EWJUUt_U8AAXtUs?format=jpg&name=large

EWJUUuFU0AAcuIZ?format=jpg&name=large

EWJUUuGU0AA5YkU?format=jpg&name=large

I had to do this one a little bit differently. I initiated the fight like normal but then jumped down to where Orion couldn't hit me. It was going pretty good but i think there's something in the game's coding that says "if an enemy cannot hit the player for x amount of time, the fight ends" because after i got in one Blade Combo, the fight ended unceremoniously.

3 hours ago, Falcom Knight said:

Also I didn't know this term exists irl.

Yep. Gnosis' defeniton is that of the Greek noun for knowledge. It's also where Gnosticism comes from.

I've known about the term since Gnosis is the name of the hostile alien force in the Xenosaga trilogy. 

Nice nice. 

I take it you're retooling the story you had previously? Or is this part of the same story?