Rate the Unit 28: Olwen

Silvercrow

Rules (adapted from Integrity's)

- Ratings are for Normal Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Votes are made out of 10. You cannot rate a unit above 10 or below 0.

- The rating topic will be updated whenever I feel like it, but I will try to allow at least 24 hours for each topic. They will generally be updated at around noon EST.

- A character being inferior relative to another character does not explicitly reduce their rating.

- Characters do not get credit for recruiting others or allowing access to side quests.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Characters do not get credit for bringing items.

- I reserve the right to ignore any votes which are not well-supported.

- You may allow a character to use scrolls (and adjust their rating appropriately) so long as it is reasonable (you may debate what constitutes "reasonable" if you feel people may disagree with you). You cannot arbitrarily increase a unit's score by arguing that they may exclusively use half a dozen scrolls for themself. In general, scrolls will probably not add more than +1 to a character's overall rating.

- Warp skipping has an impact on scores in so far as "Safy has an high base staff rank". Nanna would score lower than Safy because of her lower rank, but no chapter is explicitly said to be skipped. You can't get Warp and then suddenly say every character after doesn't exist or requires turns to recruit. Something could be said of Xavier, or Conomore/Amalda who are in an escape chapter where Leaf starts next to the escape point.

Robert: 2.33

Ronan: 2.42

Alva: 2.5

Marty: 2.89

Kein: 3.5

Tanya: 3.82

Dalsin: 4.38

Evayl: 5.02

Selphina: 5.37

Hicks: 5.89

Fred: 6.00

Brighton: 6.90

Machua: 7.03

Halvan: 7.35

Carrion: 7.54

Dagda: 7.54

Rifis: 7.70

Leaf: 8.18

Shiva: 8.26

Karin: 8.50

Felgus: 8.79

Othin: 8.86

Lara: 8.92

Fin: 9.06

Nanna: 9.13

Safy: 9.48

Asvel: 9.58

Her personal weapon is what makes her, Dime Thunder being one of the most powerful spells in the game because it hits so damn hard. Unfortunately, she needs Ambush to really use it effectively because it's so heavy and she's so fragile, but she has a pretty good claim to the scroll if she's going to be used. Her mount and her decent ability to fight indoors help her out a bit as well. Overall a pretty powerful unit, often overlooked because Eyrios is extremely good and you can only pick one. 7/10

It's sad you can't have both prepromoted Mage Knights because both are good and very fun to use. Much like Fred before her, she has interesting weapon levels and ok stats backup with good growths and a horse. In terms of weapon levels, C Swords is at least good enough for Rapiers and Killer Swords, B+30 is close to both Tron and Thunderstorm and she even has workable D's in Fire (D+40) and Wind (D+10) and, as a bonus, she can even use all of them when dismounted. She can fire most of those with a fairly good 10 Magic, and even her low 5 Strength is backed up by a good PCC of 4 and a Skill base of 8, which definitely helps her case in using light weapons with high critical rates and is further boosted by a support from Leaf. All of her offensive growths are 40% and above as well, so she can definitely keep up in terms of damage. Sadly, bases of 24 HP and 4 Defense with poor growths will definitely do her no good, making her a prime target for Ballistae, especially when using tomes that lower her attack speed and avoid. It also lowers the number of maps she can fight in since she fatigues rather quickly.

She also brings many ressources in her two personnal weapons, while also not taking a Knight Crest due to being promoted. Daim Thunder is often hyped to allow her to kill pretty much anything, but it's so heavy that it makes her a defensive liability on the field. With good offensive bases and growths and a wonderful PCC of 4, you could just spam Wind tomes, which you can even buy right after she joins, for an Olwen that trades a bit of damage (that was likely overkill anyway) for a good amount of accuracy and avoid. I will admit that 15 Mt twice hitting on Resistance makes her good at capturing at least. Then there's the Holy Sword at the end of the game. It is effective against the mounted units in chapter 23 she might not even face, but it does make her great at killing those annoying Dark Mages with +10 Magic, the Hero effect and massive might. It even gives her Prayer just in case she's hit by Hel and a burly Mercenary dares to finish her off.

So what could you give her to make her better? Ambush scroll is given to her by a lot of players, but I dare say Asvel with Tron or even Salem with Jormung can make a good case as well. In terms of scrolls, Hezul for some health and strength and Dain for defense are by far the most useful, though Sety, Heim and Blagi could be used to either give her a boost to her bases or cover up her lackluster base Luck faster.

Overkill offense with hyped personnal weapons, poor defense and good movement. Guilty of killing her for Eyrios.

7/10

Edited by Dio

Well...it's a fair choice between the two. Olwen, or Eyrios. Since you can't have both, time to explain their differences.

The only thing good about Eyrios is having instant access to powerful Thunder Tomes (both that need to be level A to be able to use, sun hit, and base starting stats. Also getting average stats that a Mage Knight should normally get. But his lack of supports (He can have no support bonuses. While Olwen can support with Fred and Leaf). Also, Sun Hit won't benefit much either, as not being able to crit much along with sun hit to make the skill more useful, and his Pursuit critical coefficient is at 0 while Olwen has 4 (Second highest availible while Eyrios has 0). This means he cannot ever counter with crits upon secondary attacks like Olwen can. He would have to have the Wrath Manual to remedy that.

But Leaf, Halvan, and or Marty would certainly benefit alot more from this skill than him. Eyrios will likely achieve better stats than Olwen. But Olwen has two personnel weapons Dime Thunder (Having 15 Mt and 10 crit); and Holy Sword (which makes her an absolute Mage slayer in the final four chapters. Both that only she can use). She also will get formidable with enough training. It's also easier to grow Olwen with the Crusader Scrolls due to more availability. Plus her personnel weapons both have a brave like 2x effect to them making her worthy to use. =] But the bad news about Olwen is that she will need Ambush to make her useable for the frontlines due to having poor durability especially in comparison to Eyrios.

Having no skills, but Ambush or Continue is all that she needs..really. Plus lower level and weapon level starts. She would have to gain a rank in Thunder (She starts at B level) to be able to use both the A rank tomes Bolting and Tron (Both which offers 20 crit). Otherwise she will have to stick to Dime Thunder, and she would need to have Continue to be able to double with Tron. As it will weigh her down by 4 form her starting BLD which is 5, and growing no more than 6.8 upon average with no scrolls. And Bolting can almost never double due to it weighing 20. So you'd have to choose between the two, as they both have their differences. I prefer Olwen due to more availability, her two personnel weapons makes her absolutely broken, and can get more time to grow her with the crusader scrolls. (Not BLD though, since only the Neir scroll can increase BLD, and that your thieves need that alot more. So she will need Continue to be able to double with Tron.)

So Olwen for me. =]

The crucial points of Eyrios' weaknesses is...he can't counter attack with crits without Wrath like Olwen can. And he doesn't average above 14.4 in Mag without scrolls upon which Olwen can average by 18.1. All Eyrios has going for him are his better base stats. But hardly doesn't get anything better in return (without scrolls) when you start growing him. =D

Consider this an explanation for both Eyrios and Olwen, specifically. When Eyrios' thread gets made, I'll just link it to this thread for his explanation. But overall...Olwen is better. =)

10011935m.jpg

7.5/10

Edited by アイネ

It's sad you can't have both prepromoted Mage Knights because both are good and very fun to use. Much like Fred before her, she has interesting weapon levels and ok stats backup with good growths and a horse. In terms of weapon levels, C Swords is at least good enough for Rapiers and Killer Swords, B+30 is close to both Tron and Thunderstorm and she even has workable D's in Fire (D+40) and Wind (D+10) and, as a bonus, she can even use all of them when dismounted. She can fire most of those with a fairly good 10 Magic, and even her low 5 Strength is backed up by a good PCC of 4 and a Skill base of 8, which definitely helps her case in using light weapons with high critical rates and is further boosted by a support from Leaf. All of her offensive growths are 40% and above as well, so she can definitely keep up in terms of damage. Sadly, bases of 24 HP and 4 Defense with poor growths will definitely do her no good, making her a prime target for Ballistae, especially when using tomes that lower her attack speed and avoid. It also lowers the number of maps she can fight in since she fatigues rather quickly.

She also brings many ressources in her two personnal weapons, while also not taking a Knight Crest due to being promoted. Daim Thunder is often hyped to allow her to kill pretty much anything, but it's so heavy that it makes her a defensive liability on the field. With good offensive bases and growths and a wonderful PCC of 4, you could just spam Wind tomes, which you can even buy right after she joins, for an Olwen that trades a bit of damage (that was likely overkill anyway) for a good amount of accuracy and avoid. I will admit that 15 Mt twice hitting on Resistance makes her good at capturing at least. Then there's the Holy Sword at the end of the game. It is effective against the mounted units in chapter 23 she might not even face, but it does make her great at killing those annoying Dark Mages with +10 Magic, the Hero effect and massive might. It even gives her Prayer just in case she's hit by Hel and a burly Mercenary dares to finish her off.

So what could you give her to make her better? Ambush scroll is given to her by a lot of players, but I dare say Asvel with Tron or even Salem with Jormung can make a good case as well. In terms of scrolls, Hezul for some health and strength and Dain for defense are by far the most useful, though Sety, Heim and Blagi could be used to either give her a boost to her bases or cover up her lackluster base Luck faster.

Overkill offense with hyped personnal weapons, poor defense and good movement. Guilty of killing her for Eyrios.

7/10

This though I'll lower the score I give to 6.5

Dio's rating minus the crossout and plus a half bias. I like Olwen's character enough over Eyrios to not kill her for him.

7.5/10

I'd never off her either. I can't bare to bring myself to do that. I would just either skip Chapter 11X, or if your playing for rank, then I wouldn't recruit her and making sure that she lives through the soldiers assault. Do this if you want him. =)

Edited by アイネ

Olwen's actually one of my favourite magi in terms of character, and I'm not much of a fan of Eyrios in that regard, though he does have nice shiny stats. I'll just deal with the lack of durability.

After all, I love it when she calls Kempf a "loser".

Edited by Fat Bunny

After all, I love it when she calls Kempf a "loser".

And having him revolt in Chapter 17A is simply the funniest convo in the game.

Edited by アイネ

Two personal weapons, one of which is pretty good, makes her a very good mounted mage despite her rather low bases for a prepromote. She's arguably the best candidate for the Ambush scroll.

Also, the fact that she's important story wise and so adorably cute make me prefer her over Eyrios.

7/10 + 1 bias = 8/10

She comes with her own weapon, which is not only powerful, but has a Brave effect. Give her an Ambush scroll, and suddenly her durability problems are almost gone since she can effectively OHKO most enemies. It's pretty hotly contested, even if nobody wants it as badly as she does, and even with it, she doesn't like ballistae or missing, so she will usually need backup in the form of Leaf/Charisma bots. She can also chip in with capturing (two shots at the kill) and is good, if not great with other tomes and swords (especially her personal sword). She has fantastic growths, not that there's much opportunity for them to kick in. All in all, a very unique unit.

8/10

Edited by Baldrick

ayanami why do you have to post a picture of the character in question looking like a retard with every post you make about them