Rate the unit day 20: Nowi

Randa

Sumia has a very nice earlygame. Her speed is good enough to double right out of the box, so she can focus on getting on a strength and/or defense Pair Up. Freddy is perfect for this if he's available, but if he isn't then Sumia's lack of supports can be an issue. Additionally, the earlier chapters have lots of nasty terrain in the way so flying utility is greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, once chapter 12 rolls around Sumia starts falling apart, because not only does the plot lose any creativity but the map designs do as well. It also doesn't help that the Valm arc chapters are littered with bow users, as well as high defense enemies she has trouble denting. Luckily Sumia has 2 different ways of redeeming herself for lategame:

1. Promote to Falcon Knight and then reclass to Great Knight as soon as she hits level 10. This fixes her strength and defense while retaining solid speed and movement.

2. Promote to Dark Flier and obtain the controversial Galeforce.

A great start, meh midgame, and solid lategame makes her a good unit, but not one without issues.

9/10

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pros

+ Earliest flier.

+ Overkill Speed base and Speed growth.

+ Relief can be quite decent.

+ Overkill Skill Growth allows her to proc Dual Strikes often as a supporting unit in a pair-up, especially if she builds up a Support with the paired unit.

+ The best Dark Flier of the "pure Pegasus Knights" (who isn't recruited through a Paralogue).

+ Her starting class set allows her to help slow units like Frederick or Henry (early on) get the speed they need to OHKO through doubling.

+ Can take Frederick early on for Support building and protection. Can move on to Chrom or Henry latter on when Frederick starts to peter out. (Dark Knight!Henry + Dark Flier!Sumia combo in particular is a fantastic combo for Valm.)

+ Has Cynthia, and her Paralogue Map has a Arms Scroll, an item that any unit would love to have.

+ Her extreme stat modifiers (particularly in the Speed stat) for a physical first-gen female unit, that can have a child, makes her one of the best options for Male Avatar, quite possibly getting the best children in the game.

+ Class set is good, giving a variety of classes and skills that she (and her child) wants.

+ One of the few units who can actually get Galeforce in a no-grind run.

+ Both promotions give rallies.

Cons

- Terrible Strength starts to show after Valm.

- Limited Support options.

- Being the best non-Paralogue Dark Flier still doesn't make it a better option than Falcon Knight, particularly as Sumia's Magic growth can be shaky. However, it will be decent throughout Valm with a Magic-boosting pair-up, where enemies have low Res, and where she will face competition for the Beastslayer lance.

- Male Avatar may want to go with one of the Galeforce-less women.

- She has to kill in order to benefit from Galeforce, which she may not be able to do at the point she gets it.

- One of the Rally skills that she can get is clearly better than the other.

Ah, Sumia. She is the first Peg. Knight that you get, and is pretty ridiculous as far as Peg. Knights go. Mages can't really do her in, unless they have a good Wind tome, and her Speed and Skill will be so high she could even double the quicker, frailer, physical units. And while her Support options are limited, she can take Frederick for most of the early-game, and Henry come the Valm arc (provided you level him up) which is when Frederick begins to peter off. Her early doubling, ridiculous Speed, and Frederick as a Support, also means she can get good avoid and enough experience to promote her before Valm if you want, and being the better Dark Flier out of her and Cordelia means she can go Chrom or Henry afterwards (depending on what you promoted her into) when Frederick starts to peter out. Later on, her Strength will peter out, and her Magic isn't that impressive either, but she can still pull her weight as a supporting combat unit, or as the occasional front-line unit, due to how good her Speed and Skill is.

Pairings-wise, she gets Cynthia and one of the better Paralogue Maps. Many units would love to have an Arms Scroll, and the map is relatively easy as far as Paralogues go. Her extreme modifiers and good class set for postgame also ensures that Cynthia will end up good, no matter who the father is, though the best ones will likely be either Chrom (Aether, access to Cav and Archer for Aegis/Pavise combo and Bowbreaker) or Henry (access to Dark Mage class tree, can pass down a male-exclusive skill as well as the Troubadour class tree, and can pass down the Thief line for Locktouch, Lucky Seven and Pass). Additionally, because of her modifiers, pairing her with Male Avatar is a good choice if you want two "Morgans" as Sumia's extreme Speed modifier allows her to marry a +Mag Avatar for some pretty ridiculous Magic and Speed modifiers on both kids. Either way, Cynthia is very hard to screw up in spite of Sumia's limited support options, and that is a good thing.

Character-wise, I like her. She can be pretty hilarious, and I actually do like her with Chrom.

Overall: 8/10, 9/10 with bias.

Sumia is a great unit, no doubt about it. She can fix her Strength problem thanks to Frederick early-game, and can pull her weight through other options once Frederick starts to peter out later on. The fact that she gets Cynthia and that her Paralogue map gives an Arms Scroll is just gravy. She is probably the most ridiculous unit after Avatar, but her lack of strength latter on can be problematic. Even so, she can function well in a pair-up with the right units, and she never really gets bad. And if everything else fails, you can always make her do rallies.

Galeforce 1000/10

I'll give her a 9.5/10

Joins in chapter 3 as a pegasus knight. Can ORKO right away with the correct partner. Flies. Can get Galeforce. Her str and def can be problematic from time to time depending on how they grow though. She never gets def for me and superflous speed.

So now we have Sumia, the clumsy yet determined Pegasus Knight who gives it her all despite lacking confidence in herself.

Pros:

* Great Speed which makes her a great combat unit and Pair-Up partner.

* One of the few characters that can S-support with Chrom.

* Nice reclass options.

* High Res makes her an ideal mage-killer.

* Pisses off shipping fanatics.

Cons:

* Fragile as all get-out.

* Low Strength and Magic kills her combat.

* Weak to bows and Wind Magic.

Sumia is your atypical Pegasus Knight, with low physical stats but high speed and resistance. In other Fire Emblem games she would probably be delegated to ferrying duty, but in Awakening, the Pair-Up mechanic makes her a great combat unit while greatly benefiting the stats of the unit she is paired with. Her high movement capabilities allow her and her pair-up partner to meet enemies head-on with ease while overwhelming them with her overkill speed. Her reclass options also greatly improve her combat, as she can nab Dual Guard+, Luna, Pavise and Tomefaire. Axe users and bows are her greatest weakness, while she can somewhat handle Wind Magic due to her high resistance.

9/10 with + 0.5 bias due to being endearing = 9.5/10. Easily one of the best characters in the game.

Edited by Frosty Fire Mage

Here is a summary of Super Smash Sumia's Hard Mode, starting from chapter 3

Sumia: I get 2HKOed by everyone and does joke damage
Frederick: pick a god and pray
Sumia: stabbed by Frederick Silver Lance

Loldiers: What is that flying horse going on our direction?

Sumia: *ORKO'es

Next chapter:
Enemies: pegasus knight? Lol
Sumia: strokes lance
Enemies: dead

Chrom: Where did you learn that sword technique?

Marth: My father!

Sumia: Your parents are DEAAAAADDDDD

*Tags in Frederick

Marth: Silver Lanced

Then chapter 7 rolls in

Chrom: there's a mass of Dracoknight and our new flier is arrives late. Help?
Sumia: I can rescue drop Frederick or milord and have any of you solo them all
Chrom: orly?
Dracoknights: lol behold my manly defenses. Oh, what is that pegasus knight trying to solo us?
Sumia: tags in Frederick/Chrom
Dracoknights: oh crap

Cordelia: I just arrived and why do my introduction scene got skipped?

Route A

Frederick: because you suck. Stabs Cordelia with his Silver Lance using his special lance technique

Route B:

Frederick: because you are fail. Clones himself*and stabs Cordelia with his Silver Lance anyways

*The clone's name is Stahl, sometime Vaike.

Chapter 8
Chrom: wait what do you mean the next chapters are desert?
Frederick: don't worry lord Chrom, just send that two Pegasus Knight that I just Stabbed with my Silver Lance(trademark) to solo the map. And Wyvern Sully, and for that one, I have also handled her with my Bronze Sword. With discipline.
Chrom: wait what
Frederick: don't worry, you can aim your falchion that way if you want to

Chap 8 boss: I have manly 10 spd. Gods fear my nosferatu!
Cordelia and Sumia: ROFL
The boss is dead

Par 3
Chrom: forest? It looks like a job for pegasus riding superhero!

Chapter 9
Chrom: oh, let me ride Sumia and recruit that monkwithaxe!

Libra: I am Alpha and Omega and why do I have manly base stats?

Campari: All goes according to Keikaku! I have Manry 49 HP and 20 Defense!

Sumia/Cordelia: http://www.Frederick.Hammer.com

Campari: FUUUUUU

Chapter 10
Mustafa: please don't kill my men. Especially the thieves. You can't cross the mountains anyway
Sumia and Cordelia: don't worry were just going to skip it because we flies. Also you lacks proper con to wield Axes other than Short Axe

Several chapters later
Cynthia: mommy, I have Galeforce!
Chrom: she is as Galeforce as her mother if that was even possible

Basically, Sumia's awesome

Not to mention mother of Cynthia, which means she is also the Grandmother of Ike, and having the triangle of Dual Guard+, Galeforce, AND Luna, and Sage Acess.

If you preffered playing the slow way, Knight Sumia is pretty cool too, so there

9.5/10

Sumia for next smash bros

9/10 bias because MAN do IS LOVED to ruin her good moments

Frederick C and Frederick A is a perfect example. The fact that her highest moment is pretty much story and Chrom's supports should tell you something

9.5/10.

Sumia is a very welcome unit to the Shepherds. Her speed is very high and helps in all difficulties, even Lunatic. Early flight is also very nice, since it allows her to skip over terrain that the others cannot. Sumia is also one of the few units with existent Resistance, making her a good candidate for mage slaying. The only flaw would be her frailness and lack of offense, but her contributions easily make up for it.

She also has a limited support pool, but honestly all of them except maybe Gaius all work just fine.

High speed that doubles most of what you're fighting is cool, pair her up with Fred/Kellam and watch her go. Very useful, and although low str/def is still an issue, it can be somewhat remedied. Flying is pretty great. Ultimately, none of this matters in the face of galeforce

Overall a solid galeforce/10, -1 bias for not being a cute pegasis/wyvern girl.

Edited by Constable Reggie

Pros:

+Can double right out of the box

+Pair-up with Freddy and you got a beast

+Can mitigate her offensive weakness by spending a few levels in General

+Good skills: Pavise, Luna, Renewal, Galefoerc, and with +2 skill to boot

+She's Estelle in Tales of Vesperia

+She makes a ridiculously fast Lucina

Cons:

-Limited marriage options. C'mon, Lon'qu!Cynthia would be an absolute monster

-Frail as all get-out

-...45% strength growths?

-Not very good class options unless you're going outside the box

-Her clumsiness is a ruse

Overall: 8.5/10

Sumia is pretty much an average pegasus knight to me

Her starting stats involve mediocre strength and stupidly high speed, meaning she'll be doubling everything, so pair her up with someone like Chrom or Kellam and for the first few chapters she'll be killing a lot of stuff. Being a pegasus knight also means that she can just fly around everywhere freely with no giant forests stopping her

Unfortunately her defense is butt weak and her strength is one of the most screwed-over stats that I've come across. Her attack will most likely fall off without an early reclass or two, and she doesn't have very notable magic for an early dark flier either. She's a good mage killer, but later on she's going to be outclassed by a ton of units who possess the defense, strength and speed to fight reliably.

So she's great utility early on, but she falls off rather early

6.5/10

7.5/10 with bias because she bitch slapped Chrom, has some really stupid support conversations (stupid enough for me to find hilarious) and Cynthia is a good child unit to have with the right father.

Edited by The Fush

your best non frederick unit in the earlygame until avatar switches to a better class. Midgame her strength suffers with all the knights and such in the valm arc, but going dark flier can help mitigate that. If she's stuck doing physical attacks lategame, her poor durability really shows, but again, with dark flier reclass, she doesn't have to worry about counters (if she has galeforce anyway)

9/10

Fantastic Unit. Don't get me wrong, she's horrible at first, and takes a bit of babying before she can stand on her own. She will die quite frequently unless paired up in the early game, but has overall good growths (besides Def) and her flying makes her a versatile Pair Up unit who also gives good supporting bonuses. She also has a fantastic speed modifier, but her Str/Def ones are pitiful.

Galeforce, Miracle, Renewal, Luna, Aegis Access - Good reclassing options.

Her support options are very limited, and I don't like her personality or her ridiculous support with Chrom. I find her boring. Thankfully she gives birth to Cynthia.

Overall, loathe as I am to admit it: 8/10

Fantastic Unit. Don't get me wrong, she's horrible at first, and takes a bit of babying before she can stand on her own. She will die quite frequently unless paired up in the early game, but has overall good growths (besides Def) and her flying makes her a versatile Pair Up unit who also gives good supporting bonuses. She also has a fantastic speed modifier, but her Str/Def ones are pitiful.

Galeforce, Miracle, Renewal, Luna, Aegis Access - Good reclassing options.

Her support options are very limited, and I don't like her personality or her ridiculous support with Chrom. I find her boring. Thankfully she gives birth to Cynthia.

Overall, loathe as I am to admit it: 8/10

This is possibly the least biased post in the entire RTU thread...

At least you're willing to admit that Sumia deserves a very score!

Lol at people who say Sumia is horrible when she comes. She can ORKO armor knights just like anyone with the right pair ups and forges.

Please use the discussion thread...

She's pretty good although 5 base defense is pretty ugh...

High speed that doubles most of what you're fighting is cool, pair her up with Fred/Kellam and watch her go. Very useful, and although low str/def is still an issue, it can be somewhat remedied. Flying is pretty great. Ultimately, none of this matters in the face of galeforce

Overall a solid galeforce/10, -1 bias for not being a cute pegasis/wyvern girl.

Really?

Edited by Randa

Sumía

+ Doubles easily

+ Good class set

+ Flying pony

+ High resistance very helpful against early mages

+ Fairly quick Galeforce

- Weak to both bows and wind and pretty easy to kill in two or three hits with anything else until she gets some stats

- Demands a pair up partner for her low low strength

- Like no one wants to support with her

8.5/10 she is always great and in my experience gets off the ground much faster than the other earlygame weaklings

Good doubling and availability, flight and Galeforce access, but crappy Defense, middling Strength, and a limited support pool. I often find it difficult to put her in range of multiple enemies.

8/10

Sumia has a flipping speed base of 11+2 at lvl 1 with a growth rate of 70% as a peg, so she will double extremely early if not immediately after joining and she will never stop. She will need the dodge from this high speed, since her defense is nothing to write home about. Same goes for her HP stat, which is as low as Miriel's and Maribelle's at base. Her str stat is a tad low, but, unlike the mages, she can pair up with kellam/sully/frederick to give her a much needed boost in str and def, and fred allows her to to ORKO guys for a bit while having good move. While she is good early because of pairing up, her low offensive growths mean that her lategame damage may be less than stellar.

Promoting into Dark Flier allows you to get Galeforce, so she can use her fantastic offense even better with a lower risk of dying and Falcoknight gives up some of that offensive power for more staff utility (lolflyingrescuestaffs) and eventually lancefaire. Her reclassing options are knight, which gives her a little better str and def at the cost of flying, something which isn't really worth it, and cleric, which sacrifices flying, among other things, for utility. In the end, she should mostly stick with flying classes until the end.

Also, she is your only flier until ch 7, though the maps don't really need them at that point of the game except for like ch 3 and 5 or something

8.5/10. Constant doubling and fantastic early/mid game with pair ups with flying

Pros

Great availability

That speed!

A Pegasus Knight (Galeforce!)

Great class choice

Awesome growth (in my gameplay, she's VERY RNG-blessed)

One of Chrom's marriage candidate

Cons

Limited marriage option

Her STR and MAG never be that good

OHKO from bow (at least before reclass/promotion)

8/10

bias 8.5/10 because I quite like her and don't mind her personality at all.

Edited by Fairlee