Rate the unit day 20: Nowi

Randa

Vaike:

His strength is great, his speed isn't much of a problem, his skill is pretty high which is nice for an axe user, and his hp is enormous.

His main flaws are his defense (slightly worse than Sully's do to class selection) and his resistance but no physical unit has good resistance (except maybe the avatar).

His class set is pretty amazing. Fighter gives him Hero for Sol and Warrior for not much, Barbarian gives him Berserker for dat speed and Axefaire (lets 1-round Generals with hand axes!), Thief is actually okay because Move +1 is pretty great he's not going to use the Thief class much though.

Overall I'll give him an 8/10 because I like 1-rounding Generals with hand axes.

+1 bias because "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" is one of the game's best lines.

He'll get good amounts of Strength and Defense, but boy does his Speed suffer. Being doubled mid-late game isn't good. He can go Myrmidon and get Vantage to offset this a little, but if he can't kill things before they double him, he's still dead. He's got an early game, good movement, and can take a couple of hits, which is more than what the others who come with him can say.

7.5/10 (no bias)

He isn't doubled mid-late game though. His speed growth is only 10% less than Sully's who everyone says is doubling everything. Please explain.

Also Randa could you please update the averages.

Edited by bearclaw13

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vaike... Vaike, Vaike, Vaike.

Pros

Stenght and Skill above the roof.

Insane pair up bonuses

Sol! With high skill!

Pretty decent class set

A monster with bows

Strenght. It's so high it has to be mentioned twice

Usual MHP madness

Cons

Bad defence

Speed takes a while to kick off.

He needs a bit of baby-sitting at the start and to be fed with speedwings and dracoshields, but after that he's absolutely BEAST. He OHKOs a lot of things, as a warrior is the perfect flier killer, and counter and sol help him immensely. Once reached at least Lv15 warrior I think he defeats everone on close range during enemy phase, Wrath and Sol are pretty good too, he can even become a point holder with those three skills.

8.5, no Bias points because I don't wanna really use them, no 9 because he needs some stats boosters to really kick in.

So..... Vaike

In a sense, Vaike is like Stahl if he replace monstrous defenses with offense and no mounts. He started kinda weak(6 SPD) although he can take(and build up a rank mind you) Lon'Qu for some doubling capability, although looking back he might be better off with Sully. Note that the first speedwings comes in like chapter 11 and Dracoshield, during around 9 IIRC

Its worth noting that while offense are.... well almost useless in this game, Vaike gets Sol later on to fix up his durability, and during the time where offense actually become useful(namely, Valm Arc), It helped(on that note, Vaike's Axe Lock is a blessing). It should be noted that his promotion bonus, whether as Hero or as a Warrior is pretty insane(+5-ish spd from Hero being the notable one).

So, the way I see it, Vaike basically goes from "Can't double shit" into "DAT OFFENSE + Sol". Kind of like a Magikarp, if you ask me. He might want to reclass Barbarian should you want some speed. Worthy of note, Vaike's base speed as a Barbarian is equivalent to level 3 Sully on average.

Oh, by the way, No flying or mounts. Thats pretty sad

- Min Max: Solid dominance over Sully. Perhaps, the best father for Nah, the only father who can challenge Frederick for Severa for Pavise acess, and a solid choice for Tharja. Also make a nice Brady. As I said before, this guy is good

7/10

Bias to 7.5 for several reason.

Edited by JSND

8.5/10.

A couple people overlook Vaike, but I think he's great. He's very strong and has a lot of HP to take some hits. Vaike does run into a speed rut in the beginning, but it's easy to fix with Barbarian reclass and Lon'qu or Cordelia support, both of which love to have his Strength bonus. Eventually, he can get Sol and his durability will be good enough to take on a lot of enemies.

Once he gets his speed up, he can pretty much 1-round a ton of enemies.

Vaike... Vaike, Vaike, Vaike.

Pros

Stenght and Skill above the roof.

Insane pair up bonuses

Sol! With high skill!

Pretty decent class set

A monster with bows

Strenght. It's so high it has to be mentioned twice

Usual MHP madness

Cons

Bad defence

Speed takes a while to kick off.

He needs a bit of baby-sitting at the start and to be fed with speedwings and dracoshields, but after that he's absolutely BEAST. He OHKOs a lot of things, as a warrior is the perfect flier killer, and counter and sol help him immensely. Once reached at least Lv15 warrior I think he defeats everone on close range during enemy phase, Wrath and Sol are pretty good too, he can even become a point holder with those three skills.

8.5, no Bias points because I don't wanna really use them, no 9 because he needs some stats boosters to really kick in.

Laziness tells to quote this as sums up my thoughts on the Vaike

Vaike is pretty great.

He won't start doubling for a while, but when he does, he'll 1RKO just about anything. It's even better if his SPD growth cooperates (a few seem to have a 50% SPD growth which kinda hurts them: Vaike, Nowi, Stahl, Cherche, etc.), and his high STR and good SKILL means that he'll become a killing machine if he's fast enough. And man oh man, his Lon'qu support helps the two of them immensely.

He's a good Pair Up partner for his STR and DEF, and SPD Pair Ups and tonics help him out in turn. Definitely a good earlygame fighter, and one of the best foot units in FE13 by far.

GO GO GO TEACH. His start is pretty bad, but he gets better.

7/10

i'll use this, but 8/10 with bias because TEACH JUST GET TENURE

Edited by shadykid

Enter THE VAIKE

Vaike starts out as your typical fighter; great HP and strength, bad everything else. Thankfully Pair Ups exist in this game, so someone like Cordelia can give him the speed he needs as well as ferry him around when he's tired of running on the stubs he calls feet. The Vaike also gets access to Sol, which along with his solid defense growth can fix his survivability. By the time you get to Valm, he can be one of your better units thanks to WTA and one-rounding even bulky stuff. Even magic users aren't safe since he can OHKO some of them, although he's still scared of them during enemy phase.

Overall The Vaike is good, but he has way too many issues that hold him back.

Unbiased: 7/10

Biased: 8/10 because he has tenure

Vaike is pretty great.

He won't start doubling for a while, but when he does, he'll 1RKO just about anything. It's even better if his SPD growth cooperates (a few seem to have a 50% SPD growth which kinda hurts them: Vaike, Nowi, Stahl, Cherche, etc.), and his high STR and good SKILL means that he'll become a killing machine if he's fast enough. And man oh man, his Lon'qu support helps the two of them immensely.

He's a good Pair Up partner for his STR and DEF, and SPD Pair Ups and tonics help him out in turn. Definitely a good earlygame fighter, and one of the best foot units in FE13 by far.

GO GO GO TEACH. His start is pretty bad, but he gets better.

7/10

I'm too lazy to think of my own rating this time, so I'll just use this.

Lessee here...Vaike, aka "Teach".

Pros:

* High Strength.

* Good Reclasses which also make him a good father.

* One of the few characters that specialize in axes.

* Access to Sol.

Cons:

* Slow.

* Non-existent RES

* Low Defense.

Vaike is a damn hard hitter for sure and he mainly uses axes, which gives him a decent edge early-game since the only other character that can use axes early-game is Frederick. Shame his speed, defense and resistance really lag behind pretty quickly. Maybe he should put his teaching capabilities to use by writing a book titled "How to Get Owned by Mages" since magic-users are such large threats later in the game.

7/10 - 1 bias point for being douchey to make 6/10.

Edited by Frosty Fire Mage

Vaike

+ Good HP and strength and decent everywhere else...almost

+ Class options impressive

+ Quick Despoil for non-grinders

- Defense, resistance, speed not so great

7.5/10 he makes a good dada

Vaike is sort of a middle-of-the-road decent unit. Good Str, but his Spd and Def will take a while to grow in. However, he has the availability and support choices to make it happen, gives good support himself, and can get Sol.

7/10

Vaike is a pretty cool guy, and actually has better offence than most of your team for a while when everyone doesn't double. Then everyone else doubles, and he's a sad panda for a while, but when he returns to doubling, he's back on top again. Sol is a good skill, but come midgame or lategame 6 move just kind of... sucks

6.5+1 = 7.5/10

I hope I can still rate the other characters. Was away all weekend.

Virion 3/10

Sully 8/10

Stahl 9/10 +1 bias 10/10

Vaike 7/10

is what i'd give them.

Virion is a piece of trash, as much as I like him. He's just...bad. The most annoying character to train in the game due to most of his exp gain being from chips (which is inferior to kill exp). He can be redeemed if he makes it to bow knight early on though.

Vaike is pretty cool. Makes a good hero, with great hp str skl and def. His spd base blows, but its easily fixable with pair ups. Sol makes him a gr9 enemy phase tank.

Sure I haven't averaged any of them yet. Next time just send a PM that you'll be away.

Vaike is a subpar fighter who has great attack and reclass options

In the fighter class, he's good for straight up damage, but I find that he has doubling issues and defense problems (although that +5 HP helps out on that). With some time, he'll develop decently.

OR you can nab a second seal, turn him into a barbarian and watch him destroy with enhanced speed. Coupled with his high attack, and the nice Despoil early on, and you have a very strong unit in your hands.

Vaike is, overall, a decent unit who can be very powerful if you're willing to expend some supplies

7/10

6.75/10 with bias because his personality irks me a tiny bit

Teach just got Tenure!

An amazingly powerful unit who relies on his muscles to get by. Not a bad parent for any child, Vaike lives up to his namesake providing good reclass options and a pretty strength bonus to his child. The only con I'd see is that he doesn't have any of the offensive proc skills-- Luna and Astra remain mysteries to him. Sol, however, is pretty nifty irregardless of what setting you're playing on. All in all, Vaike is a decent unit to have on your team-- not the best by any stretch of the imagination, but good enough to not slow you down.

7/10

He isn't doubled mid-late game though. His speed growth is only 10% less than Sully's who everyone says is doubling everything. Please explain.

Sully starts with a two-point base Speed difference. Assuming perfect averages, Sully beats Stahl by three points of Speed at level 10, and the gap will not go away short of reclassing (if Stahl catches up, someone's either out of their averages, or he's in a class with massive base Speed). That's not trivial. 50% growths have the highest deviation, which means that anything from Super Speedy Vaike to "WTF Frederick how did you gain only two points of speed in 12 levels" is possible (and I'm dealing with the latter on my current file).

Ahem. . .

Vaike shows up right before a Hammer and some armors. He hits hard naturally, but takes quite a bit of flak in return. I have yet to get on the positive side of his Speed growth (and I've complained quite a bit about Stahl's one). He's got a surprising amount of Skill, which makes stuff like Sol hits fun. He can do something about being stuck as a foot-only unit, but I do not think it's worth reclassing to Thief/Trickster for it (he's still at seven move max). He can chunk things with a Hand Axe, but if he can't get out of range of the harder-hitting things, he's dead.

Bias would be for his support with Lissa (which show off a really nice side of his personality), but all the teacher jokes get on my nerves, so it cancels out.

6.5/10

I don't like RTUs, but I do like Vaike

8.5/10.

A couple people overlook Vaike, but I think he's great. He's very strong and has a lot of HP to take some hits. Vaike does run into a speed rut in the beginning, but it's easy to fix with Barbarian reclass and Lon'qu or Cordelia support, both of which love to have his Strength bonus. Eventually, he can get Sol and his durability will be good enough to take on a lot of enemies.

Once he gets his speed up, he can pretty much 1-round a ton of enemies.

This man has the right idea.

+1 bias, 9.5/10

Vaike's great.

+ Great class pool.

+ Sturdy enough early game, Sol access late game.

+ Beastly damage early game. That hammer enables him to oneshot a lot of mages, and wreck all the knights that come just after he joins.

+ Decent for pairing up, and great recipent of speed pair up boosts.

+ Fantastic parent.

+ Can make use of his excessive skill.

- Mediocre base speed

- Defenses peter out late game

- No mount

7.5/10. My only gripe with Vaike is his crippling lack of mobility, honestly. He's awesome up to and including Valm, but for the endgame everyone else is going to be rocking 8+ move.

+1 bias (8.5/10) for being a fighter.

Edited by LunaSaint

Sully starts with a two-point base Speed difference. Assuming perfect averages, Sully beats Stahl by three points of Speed at level 10, and the gap will not go away short of reclassing (if Stahl catches up, someone's either out of their averages, or he's in a class with massive base Speed). That's not trivial. 50% growths have the highest deviation, which means that anything from Super Speedy Vaike to "WTF Frederick how did you gain only two points of speed in 12 levels" is possible (and I'm dealing with the latter on my current file).

I wasn't saying his speed was close to Sully's I was saying that he doesn't get doubled. In fact I find he doubles most units.

I wasn't saying his speed was close to Sully's I was saying that he doesn't get doubled. In fact I find he doubles most units.

First, remember what you said. Second, this is the Vaike's time, not the time for you to bring up problems with someone's opinion. Keep it on topic, find another way to sort this out, or drop it.

Enter the Vaike.

Lets talk about Ol' Teach.

Pros:
Good strength base.

Decent bases

Good support pool.

Cons:

Speed base is ehh.

Reclasses arent fantastic.

Somewhat irritating personality.

Teach aint bad especially for the main game, but im not really a fan. Because Fighter class, speed and defense arent great at base. But he is a powerhouse with bringing the pain though. He makes for a decent strength support partner too which is nice. He can get with any first gen lady barring Sumia. So hes got some options.

Reclasses are kinda meh. Srsly, id like Vaike more if he could be a merc/hero. :(: Hes ok as Theif/Assassin as it fixes speed issues, but he may work better for most runs just sticking to his base class until a player is ready to bullshit around.

I dunno, this guy just doesnt get used a lot of my runs unless im trying to get all the kids and im pairing the spares.

6.5/10

First, remember what you said. Second, this is the Vaike's time, not the time for you to bring up problems with someone's opinion. Keep it on topic, find another way to sort this out, or drop it.

You must have understood me wrong. I was merely pointing out that when people say Sully is doubling everything and Stahl it's fairly strange... that's a 10+ speed point swing and requires Stahl to pretty speed cursed and not using tonics or a support. The difference isn't that large in my experience...

I phrased that badly the first time I was merely saying that when Sully's doubling everything and Stahl's getting doubled it seems kind of weird to me.

I like Vaike time I was really just wondering because it seemed off to me...

Vaike more if he could be a merc/hero.

He can be a Hero though...

Edited by bearclaw13