Super Underrated Units?

PKL

FE6: sue, noah, shin, klein, igrene

FE6 has a lot of overrated units, though. deke is pretty overrated, alance a bit less so. all of the magic users except niime and cecilia are hugely overrated.

Niime and Cecilia? I see them used in tons of runs

I definitely don't see enough Hugh

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, he's saying Niime and Cecilia aren't overrated, not that they're underrated.

And I disagree with Shin being underrated when he's already the best bowman in the game.

No, he's saying Niime and Cecilia aren't overrated, not that they're underrated.

I think Duck's trying to say "How can Niime and Cecilia be underrated if I see them used often?" Though I didn't see dondon mention either being underrated.

At any rate on my thoughts here...

FE6: I could definitely agree on Sue being underrated. Being a speedy bow user definitely helps in some respects. Plus, though the support bonuses stink, she does make an excellent support partner for Shin, though almost nobody considers supports nowadays. As noted by Soul, her strength could some work, but that's why there's energy rings.

FE7: I'm surprised Lyn hasn't been mentioned yet. Sure she's not as praised as she was about a decade ago. But she is solid. Sure people may complain that she gets Bows as a second weapon, but how is that a bad thing? I definitely would like instant Longbow access for when I'm facing those Valks and Sorcerers in Cog of Destiny at least. And as far as any complaints about her Def go, I say this: Keep in mind that this is the same series where most units don't get Def growths above 30% before FE10 and Awakening.

FE8: Garcia, as previously mentioned. Dozla too.

FE10: I'll just mention Zihark here because Jill's not the only one who could use that bonus EXP in Part 3.

FE11: I dunno. My gut wants to say Cord if only because he can become a solid replacement for Barst, and may even be deployed with the guy. Also Ogma (to a lesser extent) and Castor.

FE13: I can't think of anything, really.

Also: I thought Ryan was decently praised, last I checked.

Fe7 Bartre. Ppl rag on him for his low base speed, but that's it. He joins at an optimal time to cram a level down his throat and works well enough with a hand axe. Rigging one lvlup.of speed on him in the earlier chapters isn't that hard, and helps him with his bulk

marth is pretty underrated in all fe games not named fe11/fe12. it's like people don't realize just how great he is.

FE6: sue, noah, shin, klein, igrene

FE6 has a lot of overrated units, though. deke is pretty overrated, alance a bit less so. all of the magic users except niime and cecilia are hugely overrated.

fuck noah

marth is pretty underrated in all fe games not named fe11/fe12. it's like people don't realize just how great he is.

fuck noah

In 11 it's no doubt because he's 3hko'd at best in higher difficulties for a long time, doesn't promote, can't reclass, is stuck with swords, locked to one range Combat and surrounded by a plethora of easy-to-use mounts (srsly, 9 mounts by chapter 5, 11 if you reclass). They all do pretty well on their own.

Oh. Except biraku.

Edited by Elieson

Fe7 Bartre. Ppl rag on him for his low base speed, but that's it. He joins at an optimal time to cram a level down his throat and works well enough with a hand axe. Rigging one lvlup.of speed on him in the earlier chapters isn't that hard, and helps him with his bulk

I agree with this. I love me some Bartre.

Villuck was only ok in FE1 if you managed to promote him to give him an instant 11 Speed, among other things.

Promotions fixed a lot of really terrible units in that game. Otherwise absurdly powerful stat boosters existed.

Edited by Woodshooter

20/20 Lowen: 19 Spd (Con=10/12)

20/20 Oswin: 17 Spd (Con=14/16)

Lowen has +1 AS over Oswin with a Javelin or Axereaver. (unpromoted)

That's not even counting Heavy Spear, Brave Lance, Steel Lance, Horseslayer, (promoted), of which Oswin either ties or beats Lowen in AS with. I suppose Lowen has every sword but the Steel Blade and Silver Blade to toy around with, compared to Oswin who doesn't.

But I'm not really sure if we should even look at axes, since we're still seeing Oswin with higher AS if using any axe that isn't E-rank (except Iron/Hand).

So

Lowen can double more often

is a pretty mild statement, unless you're primarily looking at early game (because low-wt weapons) or lategame (because Javelin and Hand Axe don't weigh either down)

Edited by Elieson

Nobody likes Sacae though, meaning they have to also feed EXP to Thany and Tate if they want to go to Ilia and also use Shin. Or they have to wait until Ilia to really begin using Shin properly.

i feel like hawk is really underrated in FE4 gen 2 (admittedly getting him means you give up fee AND sety); he's definitely a solid unit and probably on par with some sety's (see: alec!sety, maybe even azel!sety)

in fe7 i've always had a soft spot for dorcas

The only unit I can think of as underrated off the top of my head is Erk. I don't see people talk about him much, and most of what I DO see is stuff along the lines of him being outclassed by X (X usually being Lucius or Pent, though I'd beg to differ in Lucius's case).

Edited by Levant Fortner

Nobody likes Sacae though, meaning they have to also feed EXP to Thany and Tate if they want to go to Ilia and also use Shin. Or they have to wait until Ilia to really begin using Shin properly.

I like Sacae better than Ilia

Fuck Ilia's terrain if I don't want to play warpskip

A number of the beast laguz in FE9 seemed to be underrated by some- their ability to shove/smite mounted units is quite useful and they have high Mov with good stats for many of the earlygame maps. They fall off later in the game, but there are so many powerful available units by then that their combat is less important.

I think Marth, regardless of what game he's in, is pretty damn underrated. Not here but pretty much everywhere else, I see people calling him the worst lord. As I understand, he's an unstoppable juggernaut in FE1. Don't know bout FE3 in detail but he's pretty decent in FE11 and really good in FE12.

Dorcas, Lott, Ward, and Garcia.

I kinda do like fe4 Hawk, he's as good as the normal kids!

Oh and I wish people would remember Brighton more from fe5. He's not great, but he can take one more hit than most in the manster gang and gets a horse outdoors and lolWrath.

that's fine, shanna and tate are both great units, too. postponing shin's use until ilia is dumb because then you've neglected him over the period of the game in which he does best.

I think Marth, regardless of what game he's in, is pretty damn underrated. Not here but pretty much everywhere else, I see people calling him the worst lord. As I understand, he's an unstoppable juggernaut in FE1. Don't know bout FE3 in detail but he's pretty decent in FE11 and really good in FE12.

I feel Marth kinda sucked in 11. And FE12 Marth is weird. Like, he's kind of good early game, has solid base stats, amazing growth, use swords, has prf etc. He would make a good unit if not for the fact that Marth does everything and did not promote

FE12!Ryan. I used to bash him because lolbows mentality, but FE12 Bows are amazing for casuals like me >_>

Edited by JSND

I feel Marth kinda sucked in 11. And FE12 Marth is weird. Like, he's kind of good early game, has solid base stats, amazing growth, use swords, has prf etc. He would make a good unit if not for the fact that Marth does everything and did not promote

Marth in FE12 is the only unit to seize villages and castles while spending the whole time traveling to get there. If Marth was a unit that did not have these auxiliary duties he would be fairly okay. Especially if he could get a promotion out of it as well.

Ah I forgot Dozla. I don't think Makalov is underrated. He's just the worst of the cavaliers due to his availability. Still a heck of a unit though~

Makalov in FE10 is pretty decent. Availability is his worst trait. Plus, the biggest issue I had with Kieran and Geoffery were their speed stats relative to other units in the game.

FE7: Lowen - his growths are pretty meh and people tend to prefer Sain and Kent over Lowen, but Lowen really helps earlygame and ends up as a speedy tank.

I also agree Fiora is underrated. People prefer Florina becuase omg she comes earlier and dat sp. Bue Fiora is pretty good and isn't a trouble at all to make an awesome boots flier.

FE10: Pkl, I don't think Marcia's underrated, I'd say Sigrun is much more underrated because she's in a far more worse position because terrible stats for a level to get to Third Tier.

Also, I still think Ilyana is underrated. People tend to prefer Soren because of a more comfortable statistic situation. Hey there are statboosters, BEXP and time. People is just lazy..

The complaint I thought about Lowen was the fact that Sain and Kent were just better than him. Better overall stats (other than defence), ability to get Lyn mode, and more useful supports with other mounted units. The only reason I saw to use Lowen was for drafts. Sain had enough speed to double things that mattered and enough strength to OHKO the stuff he typically couldn't double anyway.

I tend to see people disliking having to get Farina. She has completely usable stats upon join time and much bulkier and higher strength than either Fiora or Florina, but tends to lag in speed a bit. They could double myrmidon's and swordmasters while Farina has issues with that.

but honestly I think most people's underrated units end up being mediocre units that turn out better than average or are just like more by the people listing them, myself included

To be truly underrated I think means they get overshadowed by slightly better units than themselves. If you look at Ryan, he has better availability than Rody/Luke. Has virtually similar base stats and base growths as Rody/Luke, but only losing to the both of them by -20% speed growth. Ryan is perfectly usable as Luke and Rody, but does require at least some slightly above average speed or speed investment (rainbow potion/speedwings) to make up for his deficiency in speed compared to Luke/Rody.

Another example I think is with Lowen. Lowen is good since he comes early and is a cavalier in the GBA fire emblem world. Instant decent unit. But, gets overshadowed in the long run by the sain/kent combo.

FE7: I'm surprised Lyn hasn't been mentioned yet. Sure she's not as praised as she was about a decade ago. But she is solid. Sure people may complain that she gets Bows as a second weapon, but how is that a bad thing? I definitely would like instant Longbow access for when I'm facing those Valks and Sorcerers in Cog of Destiny at least. And as far as any complaints about her Def go, I say this: Keep in mind that this is the same series where most units don't get Def growths above 30% before FE10 and Awakening.

I do not see Lyn as underrated when looking at what Guy has to offer. If you included HHM stats he'll turn out better. Better availability and promotion time relative to enemies.

The only unit I can think of as underrated off the top of my head is Erk. I don't see people talk about him much, and most of what I DO see is stuff along the lines of him being outclassed by X (X usually being Lucius or Pent, though I'd beg to differ in Lucius's case).

Lucius has speed, resistance, and magic. Along with accurate light magic and C rank in staves after promotion. Canas is a bulky magic user with Luna usage. Erk hits people with low resistance twice.

I could sort of see Marth being underrated, but only since he spends so much time trying to loot villages and claiming castle gates for his own.