Mafia Question of the Whenever - LYLO

Prims

re rvs (mostly @marf): go make people accountable for their actions in rvs. question them. force information out. that's how you get out of rvs and a bad mentality toward it does you no favors.

I disagree with this though, it's why I tend to avoid RVS since as town it's difficult to find legit scumtells early on and as scum you don't want people to latch onto you for some silly fluff you posted early on. You should push suspicious stuff but also recognize if you're just overanalysing a joke post.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

recognize if you're just overanalysing a joke post.

And therein lies the problem with RVS. Too many people throw out Jokevotes/Jokeposts, and it muddles the ability for people to begin building links and enter a phase of attempting to hunt scum. I see why you feel the way you do, but the principle of what should be done is still there. By avoiding RVS, you present yourself as lurking, which doesn't make you look any better, and doesn't help others develop reads.

go back and read that link i posted. you're getting into recursive logic that does no one any favors when playing a game (in terms of progressing the game)

Edited by Curly Brace

By avoiding RVS, you present yourself as lurking, which doesn't make you look any better, and doesn't help others develop reads.

I fully agree, RVS is my weakest point so it's easier to just not deal with it, but I have to face it sometime.

RVS has to start with jokevotes though, you never have legit reasons for the first few votes.

@Manix

I've read that before, but just because a few players on SF knows how to RVS properly it doesn't mean a lot of people don't post randomly in RVS, especially newbies. While RVS isn't supposed to be random a lot of people don't put much thought in their RVS posts, and you have to evaluate that possibility when you decide how far you're pushing a RVS case

tl;dr just because RVS can be played optimally it's wrong to assume it happens, especially when so many say they have issues with RVS

that seems like a very self-conscious line of reasoning, which doesn't particularly help playing as town? imo townies shouldn't worry as much about their appearance, and just get down to finding scum. if you get called out on overanalyzing a jokepost (provided it isn't obvious that it is one), then just explain and move on.

yeah I probably am very self-conscious due to the skewed ratio of scum/town games I've played

in general I was talking about stuff like Shin's self-vote, it's pointless but it doesn't mean keeping him accountable for that vote is productive in the long run, calling them out and tell them to be useful, rather than forcing them to defend themselves over things like that.

I dunno about you but if I'm being called out and then I get a wagon on me for grasping that's kinda dumb when I'm doing things to end RVS.

Like sure I was able to look townie in Yume Nikki after getting a wagon on me but I feel like ending RVS almost always means the one who ends it is put on the defence fsr.

How I handle RVS is basically I hope someone else tries to end it and gets a wagon on them so I can see who's making shit votes. Or else if I'm bored I'll probably try ending it and risk it.

I get RVS wagoned all of the time and yet noone ever seems to find me townier for it...

There seems to be a perception that you need to do something extraordinarily special and unusual to leave RVS, but you really don't. All you really need to do is build wagons and temporarily lower your standards for what you cast votes for.

Of course, if you go into RVS expecting it to be shit, it's gonna be shit.

oh shit i totally spaced on this last night

Day 11 we skipped a day - Ultimately, what do you think are your strongest and weakest points as scum?

Edited by Prims

Strongest: Not getting lynched even when people think I'm sketchy

Weakest: My scum play style, if it exists, isn't really sustainable. It's a matter of time before people start seeing patterns in it and read me accordingly.

D10: Not much to say here since it's pretty much what I said as town weakpoint.

D11: I think that my fakeclaims and more mechanical aspects are pretty good, but everything is pretty bad.

Strong point: Dodging kills often enough... Playing in a way that results in me not being targeted by investigative roles?

Weak point: Dodging lynches not enough... Probably because I talk too much and can't argue well out of PoE situations

Strongest: being bad enough as town that my cases don't change in quality or how much they're forced

Weakest: probably need to work on interacting with my scumbuddies better

This is some great data collected from a very large sample size of all of one scumgame.

Strongest: At my best, I'm able to pretty much perfectly replicate my town play. I also tend to do better with more active scumbuddies (I know I listed Paper as one of my ideal scum team and he's not actually active in game, but scum QT totally counts)

Weakest: After a while as scum, I tend to forget how to play as town to begin with. Also I can get unmotivated which is something that never happens to me as ITP/town.

Yeah, I have CONFIDENCE in my scum skills. :3

Edited by Refa

Strongest Point: I actually play such that you can never get good associative reads from me. I actively play with the thought that people shouldn't attempt trying to get associative reads from my flip. I also don't bus at expected times. Choral mafia 5 is a good example of this: I bussed Eli in my first post in the game, and then I pushed hi a bit while I bussed another buddy of mine when it was lynch time. Said buddy ended up living until the phase before MYLO because the entire scumteam ended up bussing him.

Weakest Point: I rarely roll scum so I'm very inexperienced playing as scum. Also if I feel like we're given sucky fakeclaims(Bodyguard, REALLY now) then my play gets even worse thanks to thinking of the eventual claimtime.

Edited by Bluedoom

Oh yeah, my weakest point as scum is claiming. I was never any good at it, although I just want to say my claim in SF3 was the best fakeclaim EVUR.

Weak watcher survivor

GET ON MY LEVEL

that was ITP tho

Oh also there's another weakness (that also exists as town). I'm kinda sorta ~super unconfident~

Strength: Wearing sunglasses.

Weakness: Not wearing sunglasses.

In my in-person mafia games.

Edited by Makaze

Elie: When you claimed that, did you say you'd seen an incriminating result on a mafioso before they flipped but hadn't felt like sharing it?

Elie: When you claimed that, did you say you'd seen an incriminating result on a mafioso before they flipped but hadn't felt like sharing it?

pretty sure he claimed it after getting investigated as third...

...and then he later claimed OH YEAH I KINDA HAD THESE TWO VIGSHOTS I DIDN'T TELL ANYONE ABOUT

I don't have any more I promise

weak watcher survivor was a fakeclaim as mafia from CMV

go read, etc

edit: my answer to the question should be fairly standard and obvious by now

Edited by Curly Brace