Good units you avoid using

FrostyFireMage

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marcus in FE7. Also Florina, but it's not me actively trying to avoid her, I just have never got around to using her.

Edited by Knight

Vanessa, her earlygame damage is kinda blegh and I just tend not to bother

In Awakening the kids, unless it's a really bad idea (depends on the run type)

In drafts everyone I didn't pick :Kappa:

Also Raven, I forgot.

Edited by Gradivus.

Ill list them by game.

FE4: Levin!Arthur

FE5: Mareeta, Asvel

FE6: Rutger

FE7: Sain, Lucius

FE8: I kinda like all the good units here. Duessel I guess even though I think he's not particulary good.

FE9: Marcia

FE11: Nobody really.

FE13: Sully

I just don't particularly like any of the above units, except Sain, except he always fucks me over and never grows speed.

Edited by General Horace

Uh... there are lots sooo

FE7:Marcus, Sain, Raven, Lowen, and Oswin

FE8:Vanessa, Franz, Gilliam, Myrrh, Ross, Lute and Saleh

FE10:Jill, Shinon, Gatrie, Soren, Edward, Zihark, Haar, Nephenee, Kieran, Titania, Ranulf, Reyson, and Caingheis

FE1/11: Wolf, Sedgar, Palla, Est, Draug, Barst, Jeigan, Tiki, and Navarre.

FE13: Vaike, Lon'qu, Maribelle, Tharja, Olivia, and all of the kids except Cynthia, Morgan, Owain, and Lucina

I haven't played FE 2, 3/12, 4, 5, 6, 9, and 14.

I used to avoid Jagens like the plague, but now not so much. Though I usually only use them until other units are up to par. These days I wouldn't say I ever actively avoid using any good units, though there will always be runs where I choose not to use them.

FE7 generally limits my use of "good" units a lot because there are simply not enough deployment slots on HHM to make long term use out of a lot of them without rotating, which I am loathe to do. As such, I really don't like using Kent, Florina or Fiora as combat units. Florina is very annoying to train in non Lyn Mode HHM when you can blitz pretty easily, and takes too long to reach promotion. In theory, units like Shanna in FE6 should struggle a lot more, but her much higher speed base combined with the fact that a very large amount of earlygame FE6 enemies are difficult to ORKO end up making it trivial to give her kills.

[spoiler=Rant about Shanna in FE6]There's also a huge abundance of low def, high hp enemy Soldiers for Shanna to fight in the first third of the game, where she's essentially just as good as Alan or Lance in 2RKO/3HKOing them, and her 6 base def ensures she's not OHKO'd. In casual play, Shanna can be realistically promoted right as the first Whip shows up, which is just in time for the Western Isles, where again she'll consistently 2RKO the enemy axe users with an Iron Sword after promotion (due to their high HP, again it's difficult for anyone bar Rutger, Dieck or possibly a promoted Cavalier with Steel Swords to get ORKOs on these guys anyway, so this isn't terrible, plus she's basically untouchable by them), along with having general flying utility all over the place.

You also kind of need to train her to go to Ilia.

Fiora's bases are pretty meh, but it's fairly easy to get her 2 levels then promote her so she can be 8 mov utility. I much prefer training Heath and Farina since they're much more consistent and tankier, and allow me to divert more early resources into units like Raven, Lucius and the Cavaliers. (and Bartre beacuse complete recruitment)

I don't like using Kent because Sain turns out better most of the time anyway as a long term Cav. I generally promote Lowen with the first Crest ASAP, since he appreciates the offensive parameter increases, and becomes basically invincible post promotion for most of the game. What he doesn't kill he sets up for the units I'm investing into for long term, so even if he inevitably becomes somewhat irrelevant, that doesnt really matter. Sain's higher strength is far more useful than Kent's mildly higher speed for lategame.

This may not count, but in the single playthrough of FE10 I've done, I was actually very liberal with Haar. It wasn't that I didn't use him, but rather I tried to avoid just letting him tank and kill everything, since I was training other units.

Annnd that about covers it. If I ever do another playthrough of FE12 H3 I'm doing it without Kris, but I don't have the balls to do that on my current H4 playthrough which is still sitting at Chapter 1.

Edited by Irysa

I don't use the blatant difficulty erasers like FE7!Marcus and Seth, and generally avoid late game prepromotes like Jaffar and Vaida because they're too powerful and erase a lot of the game's difficulty. I only use them when I want/need to get their supports.

Literally every prepromote ever. I'm actually not kidding. Especially Seth though. Literally my only exception to the prepromote thing is Gotohs and FE9!Stefan.

FE6: Alen, Clarine, all Knights

FE7: Sain, every Peg Knight, Erk, Wallace, Lowen, all Fighters/Warriors, Heath [:c]

FE8: Gilliam, Vanessa, Garcia, Neimi, Forde, Kyle, Tana, L'Arachel

FE9: Rhys, Shinon, every Laguz, all Peg Knights, Kieran, Brom, Nephenee, Jill, Makalov
FE10: Naesala, Skrimir, all Peg Knights, Zihark
FE11: Literally everyone but Merric, Beck, Lena, Marth, Radd, and Gotoh

FE13: Everyone but a small handful

FE7: Marcus, Lowen, Heath. Also, Raven.

FE8: Duessel. Though I don't think he's particularly good... Other than him, can't think of anyone else.

FE9: Stefan, big time. Also, Jill.

FE10: All laguz royals, except for Naesala. Jill too. Also, Ranulf. Though again, I don't think he's particularly good.

FE13: Panne.

Special mention to Jill, who pretty much always fucks me over. In both games..

I've never used Raven in any of my fe7 playthroughs, his personality bugs me too much.

I tend to stay away from Nephenee in the Tellius games.

And I'm not sure how good these guys actually are, but Forde and Kyle always end up awful for me.

How do we define good units again ?

In FE7/FE8, I have played them so many time I think I used most of everyone.
Generally, I don't use the Prepromote and Jagans (because no way I'm serving the Demon King.)

FE4 : the substitutes. Arden generally, sue to how much a pain he is to train. And I didn't traiend Alec and Noish on my first party.

I also avoided training Cuan.

FE5 : Prepromote again, excluding Sety and Galzus. I think Machua and brighton showed less and lessuses as time passed. Selfina, Trewd, Ronan otherwise. And Marty.

FE6 : Prepromotes, excluding Karel. I even used Sophia and Wendy. I ddn't used Borth, Bars and the Thieves other than Chad.

FE7 : I generally don't use Dorcas and Wallace, obviously. Erk, because he's inferior to Pent in every point. Most prepromotes excluding pent (He's the best Mage in the game, and I don't have the patience to train Nino anymore nowaday.) and Geitz.

Kent because no matter how good he is, he's still my most hated character. (he's an hypocrite who puts a Nice Guy facade yo succeed in life.). Marcus, because once I ended up training him too much, and made the game unwinnable (this may not be all of it, but that's how I saw it back then at least. )

I don't really train Will either, because Rebecca exists and is better

FE8 : Prepromotes, again. (no reason to use them, when you have Valnii training.) And Gilliam (because Amelia exists. )Forde and Kyle are also seldom used.

FE:Awakening. Most prepromotes, mainly Say'ri and Spot Pass (Anna is used because of utility.) and MU (because of Veteran.).

In my first playthrough Sully ended up RNG screwed, while Stahl was blessed, so she saw less use.

I think I made it clear what type of player I am...

Generally I just use the characters I like most as long as they at least have mediocre stats or better. That said, I generally ease up on Jagens until their stats fall more into step with the rest of the group - they're only used as panic buttons.

May I ask why? Just asking why would you not wanna use units like Lucina and OWAIN THE MIGHTY HAM???!!!!!!!!!

I didn't get quoted but since I avoid gen2 units too

I'm not really good at or interested in figuring out good pairings, I have to go out of my way to build up support bonuses in a timely manner and not using gen2 units makes lategame a bit more interesting since I don't have lots of juggernauts. I usually just avoid Lucina and Chrom's other kid too since I generally dislike the 2-gen system.

Edited by Gradivus.

Oifey. I'd rather raise a crappy gen 2 unit than use him.

Also Florina. If I didn't go to Lyn's mode, I don't even bother with her. I do use her if I went to Lyn's mode, though.

Frederick on awakening. Even on lunatic, I don't let him kill anything other than the first 2 myrmidons in the prologue.

Edited by Nobody

May I ask why? Just asking why would you not wanna use units like Lucina and OWAIN THE MIGHTY HAM???!!!!!!!!!

Simply put, they're way too much of a chore to invest time and money into, when I can do just as fine without babying them to catch up. Therefore, the only 2nd gen I'd generally use for my main team would be Lucy, thanks to Parallel Falchion making up for her beginning damage output. While they may be pretty good (or bad, depending on pairings), they're too much of an inconvenience when you add in that some of the 1st gen tend to, or seem to always do bad for me (Sully, Miriel), which only doubles the work. And don't even get me started on skills.

Granted, there are some even in the 1st gen that I either gradually stop with or are secondaries merely cause of favorites and/or situation (Stahl, Panne, Gaius, Henry, Kellam, Nowi, Virion, Gregor), but in my latest "canon" run, I made sure that every 1st gen served a purpose besides the bench, barring Flavia, Basilio, and the spotpass units. Every single one of them were capable and quite frankly, it was pretty damn awesome. But then came pairing them, which always leads to dilemma. Actually.... now that I think about it, that's pretty much the mains reason.

TLDR: Fuck pairings

Edited by Noburu

What's so hard about pairing people if you aren't going to use their children anyways?

How do we define good units again ?

FE4 : the substitutes. Arden generally, sue to how much a pain he is to train. And I didn't traiend Alec and Noish on my first party.

I also avoided training Cuan.

FE7 : I generally don't use Dorcas and Wallace, obviously. Erk, because he's inferior to Pent in every point. Most prepromotes excluding pent (He's the best Mage in the game, and I don't have the patience to train Nino anymore nowaday.) and Geitz.

I don't really train Will either, because Rebecca exists and is better

By not putting units which by your own definition are bad? Seriously, how hard is it to understand what good means.

Edited by Refa