Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

Idk, bringing up balance issues as a reason to desire that Mega Evos are removed is kinda extreme. I find them really fun and cool, and while some dominate the competitive scene I think they can fix it with restrictions or just making more Mega forms that compete or neutralize the existing ones.

Particularly my biggest issue with pokemon is the tremendous effort one has to invest to build competitive pokemon. I'm not willing to spend days, weeks, months and years rigging ivs, natures, farming pokemon just to have one pokemon or a team, and that's about it. That's lame. why can't they make an in-game lab like showdown and one can build their pokemon instantly yay, but at least make it easy for one to do so. I think the bottles are a good way to start. Personally, I enjoy the process of training my pokemon, making them learn moves via levelling or TMs and then see them with their stats buffed due to evs and ivs, but man the time consumption is heavy that it kills me at once.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mega Evolution isn't going anywhere. At least, I highly doubt it. It's been around for, what, one or two games?

I don't want to say I would be upset if it was gone, but I would most definitely gnash my teeth in irritation when I've wasted away days of my life trading and breeding to obtain my annoying Sableye, my physical Charizard and my fatass Audino and they are rendered near useless because they are missing a very important element to their functioning.

That said, if it does leave... I mean, what am I going to do about it? I'll just have to start from scratch with breeding.

Sableye can do damn well on it's own. That thing does not need a Mega to be good.

I'll give you Charizard and Audino, since Char has never been good since Stealth Rock became a thing, and Audino has pretty awful stats. But to be fair, Mega Audino didn't make it that much better. Sure, it's a great wall with great setup, but assuming we're using Smogon tiers, it's stuck in NU with the extremely common Klinklang that can take it down and wall it out. I will say it's good for Doubles, but hyper-offensive teams and teams with only 1 or 2 gimmicks work so much better, especially in VGC.

You wouldn't have to start from scratch with breeding, we have Bottle Caps and Hyper Training, assuming they allow you to take down IVs as well.

Idk, bringing up balance issues as a reason to desire that Mega Evos are removed is kinda extreme. I find them really fun and cool, and while some dominate the competitive scene I think they can fix it with restrictions or just making more Mega forms that compete or neutralize the existing ones.

Particularly my biggest issue with pokemon is the tremendous effort one has to invest to build competitive pokemon. I'm not willing to spend days, weeks, months and years rigging ivs, natures, farming pokemon just to have one pokemon or a team, and that's about it. That's lame. why can't they make an in-game lab like showdown and one can build their pokemon instantly yay, but at least make it easy for one to do so. I think the bottles are a good way to start. Personally, I enjoy the process of training my pokemon, making them learn moves via levelling or TMs and then see them with their stats buffed due to evs and ivs, but man the time consumption is heavy that it kills me at once.

That's one of the biggest problems- they didn't do that. Megas run rampant in the competitive scene, sometimes with barely any counters or checks. Look at Mega Kangaskhan and Lucario. They were sweeping whole teams turn 1 back when XY first came out, and they still are to an extent.

I think Synchro Evolution, at the concept we have right now, would be a much better solution. They still get the stat boosts and look, but it's temporary so they don't just come in and destroy a whole team. Same with the Legendaries' phases.

Also, EV training is actually a piece of cake in ORAS. It takes like 5 minutes. I'll definitely agree with IV breeding, but they did already fix that issue.

Edited by TrueEm

Sableye can do damn well on it's own. That thing does not need a Mega to be good.

B-but, mah Mega Sableye! D:

I do see what you mean, though. Pokemon, in general, has several major issues with balancing and, honestly, Mega Evolution did not help much—if at all—in fixing the problem.

Like I said though, I am skeptical that it will be taken out completely but there is evidence that something is going to happen with it.

Shirodesuna

I haven't been keeping up with this thread... but man does that sound like "It's white, isn't it?" in Japanese.

That's probably the pun, whatever it is.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I do see what you mean, though. Pokemon, in general, has several major issues with balancing and, honestly, Mega Evolution did not help much—if at all—in fixing the problem.

Do you think it's easy to balance a game that has hundreds of creatures to use? Also, some Pokemon are meant to be worse than others. I do agree that a little more balance should be in place though, because I'm tired of seeing the same Pokemon used all the time in competitive battles.

Also, I would definitely be annoyed if I can no longer have a Mega Lopunny or Mega Gallade.

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah at least with Bottle Caps IV breeding will be easier. At least, I have a Ditto on Y with perfect Def/SpAtk/SpDef, so I can bottle it and have it with all perfect IVs and breed faster and in an easier way. Now I'll have just to worry about natures, and hopefully EV training gets better.

I haven't been keeping up with this thread... but man does that sound like "It's white, isn't it?" in Japanese.

I can't even remember their English names easily yet. They're still Sunabaa and Shirodesuna to me.

Do you think it's easy to balance a game that has hundreds of creatures to use? Also, some Pokemon are meant to be worse than others. I do agree that a little more balance should be in place though, because I'm tired of seeing the same Pokemon used all the time in competitive battles.

Also, I would definitely be annoyed if I can no longer have a Mega Lopunny or Mega Gallade.

Pokémon doesn't exists in a vacuum, as Competitive battle makes you think.

I know it's not really the point, but it's one of my pet peeves.

For example, Buterfree may be awfull competitively, but it's actually a pretty balanced Pokémon in game, since it serves as a Crutch.

I don't really care that much about competitive balance myself, as long as the Pokémons are fun to use.

Competitive Battles isn't the only way to play Pokémon. I think it's an important reminder (The fact there's so many different way to enjoy the game always have been the franchise's forte And it main issue as well...)

​Anyway, I think the incomming Nintendo Direct would be a good opportunity to reveal/confirm the Starter Evolutions. We know that Rockruff's secret will be revealed in next Cocoro, so I think it will be shown later that month to the whole world.

Edited by Tamanoir

Pokémon doesn't exists in a vacuum, as Competitive battle makes you think.

I know it's not really the point, but it's one of my pet peeves.

For example, Buterfree may be awfull competitively, but it's actually a pretty balanced Pokémon in game, since it serves as a Crutch.

I don't really care that much about competitive balance myself, as long as the Pokémons are fun to use.

AKA the "Iron Sword vs Excalibur" syndrome, in which Butterfree is like the Iron Sword to Dragonite Excalibur

Also the whole making megas to cancel each other really doesn't work. Primal Groudon is an extreme example, but it do gives an image of how disastrous such a thing could really be, although to be fair a lot of this is caused by Primal Groudon being a ridiculous pokemon. How the fuck is a pokemon is allowed to laugh at 3 best move in the game is anyone guess

Also fuck Mega Sableye. Its responsible for Weavile Stall

Edited by JSND

The only thing that saved competitive for me is that Kangaskhan, Salamence, etc all got moved up in the tiers to Ubers, where they belong. But outside Smogon tiers, for example the in-game Battle Spot, Megas that are put up with the legendaries that aren't allowed in Battle Spot are put in with everyone else. It makes it so unbalanced.

However, I will say this year's World Championships made me like Megas and Primals in that format. The teams used in the end were so well thought out and the players themselves were extremely good. This match is the first Semifinals round, and it was really good. Wolfe made some really good plays overall, and I think it's worth a watch.

Non Organized Pokemon games is lol in general really, which is kinda why i enjoyed playing in smog ladders and this board's small tour

Also gamefreak somehow manage to make the game worse is an acomplishment in and on itself 6v6 pokemon is flawed. 3v3 pokemon went way beyond the level of flawed and is more of a cancer than anything else

Edited by JSND

I remember not liking megas when they were introduced ("it's so digimon" was my main complaint if I remember right...)

I've gotten used to them though, and since I don't play Pokèmon competitively, it's not an issue for me. I do see how they make things even more inbalanced though.

"It's a castle, isn't it?" (it's sand castle)

Alolan Rattata hasn't shown up on the website yet, that bugs me for some reason...

Anyways, so is Synchro Evolution off the table now? We have Pokemon specific Z-Moves. I'd be fine either way I suppose.

Terribly underwhelming direct. No news regarding Sun/Moon. Just alola ratata and more Zmoves.

What were you expecting? Is wasn't a Pokemon Direct, it was a 3DS Direct. Besides, getting the Hyrule Warriors Legends DLC finally confirmed is good enough for me.

Unless you were being sarcastic.

Also; Alolan Rattata info on the main site:

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/dont-miss-out-on-munchlax-in-pokemon-sun-and-pokemon-moon/

Elm1ST9.jpg

Alolan Rattata

In Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, you'll discover Rattata that are different from the Rattata you've met before. Unlike ordinary Rattata, urban areas are Alolan Rattata's main habitat. They are nocturnal and live in nests of several dozen. Alolan Raticate serve as their bosses.

As a countermeasure to the exploding Rattata population in the Alola region, Yungoos were imported and released. To better avoid Yungoos, Rattata changed their preferred environments and circadian rhythms. These adaptations to their new environment led to their changed form.

Alolan Rattata have an excellent aptitude for sniffing out delicious fresh foods in Alola. They pay no attention to foods that aren't fresh.

Category: Mouse Pokémon

Type: Dark/Normal

Height: 1′0″

Weight: 8.4 lbs.

Ability: Gluttony/Hustle

"Alolan Raticate serve as their bosses."

ALOLAN RATICATE CONFIRMED

Edited by TrueEm

I wonder if Alola Raticate will have a splendid mustache as well.

I can already guess it's dex entry:

Dex Entry: "Alolan Raticate gained the Dark type and used it to beat up local Alakazam and steal their mustaches. This explains both the clean-shaven Alolan Alakazam, and the luxuriousness of Alolan Raticate's 'stache"

Edited by Water Mage