Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

3 hours ago, Xenomata said:

How do people use Reinhardt without feeling dirty oh god.

What is there to be ashamed of?

If anything, feeling dirty about doing or using something only perpetuates the stigma surrounding it. By using Reinhardt, you admit that not only is he a good unit, but also that there isn’t anything inherently wrong with using him just because he is Reinhardt.

The Hardt, while still prevalent in arena and should still be accounted for, is much easier to deal with than in the past, with Magic Deflect seal being available for every unit and TA Greens stopping him in his tracks as usual. Whether or not you want to acknowledge using the Hardt or simply keep him private, people will end up using him or will inevitably run into him. Best to keep players aware rather than in the dark about what exactly the Hardt does and how he can be dealt with.

Surely @XRay knows where I’m coming from with this.

• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

22 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

If anything, feeling dirty about doing or using something only perpetuates the stigma surrounding it. By using Reinhardt, you admit that not only is he a good unit, but also that there isn’t anything inherently wrong with using him just because he is Reinhardt.

The Hardt, while still prevalent in arena and should still be accounted for, is much easier to deal with than in the past, with Magic Deflect seal being available for every unit and TA Greens stopping him in his tracks as usual. Whether or not you want to acknowledge using the Hardt or simply keep him private, people will end up using him or will inevitably run into him. Best to keep players aware rather than in the dark about what exactly the Hardt does and how he can be dealt with.

But it sucks all the more just because Reinhardt is so simple to build.

Rein needs Death Blow 3. That's about it, you could probably get away with using his default kit + Death Blow 3 in the Arena if you really wanted to, and his only real competition for ranged Brave user is Brave Lyn technically. Yeah you need a 4* Klein to get the skill, but that's a relatively simple order compared to what so many other units need just to be decent at worst, and that is including the units that counter Rein.

Besides all that, Reinhardt as a character feels bland and uninteresting. At least Hector or Bridelia, if comparing to other S+ tier characters, have quirks that make them alluring. I don't get anything interesting from Rein besides Dire Thunder. That doesn't sound important, but would be for someone who would rather try to build units he or she is invested in as characters.

Sucks for me being that person. I can't find anything interesting about this guy...

Edited by Xenomata

Using Reinhardt is like pooping.

Everyone does it.  You can try putting it off, but it's just going to make you more uncomfortable.

You don't speak about using Reinhardt in polite company.

After you've used Reinhardt yourself, you feel good, but if you see someone else's Reinhardt lying around, you grumble about having to deal with it.

No one thinks their own Reinhardt stinks.

17 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Rein needs Death Blow 3. That's about it, you could probably get away with using his default kit + Death Blow 3 in the Arena if you really wanted to, and his only real competition for ranged Brave user is Brave Lyn technically. Yeah you need a 4* Klein to get the skill, but that's a relatively simple order compared to what so many other units need just to be decent at worst, and that is including the units that counter Rein.

Besides all that, Reinhardt as a character feels bland and uninteresting. At least Hector or Bridelia, if comparing to other S+ tier characters, have quirks that make them alluring. I don't get anything interesting from Rein besides Dire Thunder. That doesn't sound important, but would be for someone who would rather try to build units he or she is invested in as characters.

Sucks for me being that person. I can't find anything interesting about this guy...

As long as he clears Infernal maps for me I don't care :D

15 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

a 4* Klein … a relatively simple order

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You do realise colourless hell got its name for good reasons?

There is more stuff about this guy than his tome. He is loyal, responsible, and stylish.

…and this leads me to how much I want Ishtar in this game. Come on, Gen 2 arrive soon with an Ishtar GHB! We got Arvis, we sure can get the goddess of thighs and thunder.

Reinhardt being easy to build works in his favor, not against him. Try telling Vax that Death Blow is easy to get

Reinhardt is one of the more interesting enemy-only characters from Thracia. When it comes to archetypes, he is best characterized as a Camus: friendly, loyal, and unfortunately fighting on the wrong side of the conflict.

If Reinhardt is lacking in character, then Hector and Cordelia by comparison don’t exactly have it in spades either.

6 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There is more stuff about this guy than his tome. He is loyal, responsible, and stylish.

…and this leads me to how much I want Ishtar in this game. Come on, Gen 2 arrive soon with an Ishtar GHB! We got Arvis, we sure can get the goddess of thighs and thunder.

I'm saving 20K feathers on the off-chance she pops up as part of the mid-November events.

1 minute ago, Xenomata said:

Besides all that, Reinhardt as a character feels bland and uninteresting. At least Hector or Inigo, if comparing to other S+ tier characters, have quirks that make them alluring. I don't get anything interesting from Rein besides Dire Thunder. That doesn't sound important, but would be for someone who would rather try to build units he or she is invested in as characters.

Sucks for me being that person.

Simple strong builds are always going to be popular for those who don't want to invest in the time for something different. Perhaps less optimal, perhaps more, but just not as easy to assemble.

Take for instance Xenoblade Chronicles X, a game without a true PvP metagame like Heroes.

The easiest build is the Longsword and Dual Guns, with Ghostwalker from the Dual Guns providing the defense in the form of hit tanking decoys,. And the Core Crusher skill  + Appendage Crusher and Potential Up/Boost Augments with an Ether attribute Longsword amping up the Blossom Dance Tension Art's power to astronomical levels. Likewise, the Ares 90 is the ultimate skell, with an innate set of powerful weapons and only in need of some augments to survive the offense and pierce the defenses of the 60+ level Tyrants.

Now, you can make a lot of different builds work. You can use any pair of the 6 melee and 6 ranged weapons (though some like Longsword and Sniper Rifle lack any synergy) work, you can emphasize Tension Arts and Potential, or you can build your offense around Melee Attack or Ranged Attack and the appropriate arts. Or, you can build around one of the six elemental attributes for your offense. For defense, you are admittedly more limited, with Barrier weak and healing arts few and not working if you opt to fight a very large Tyrant since you'll be OHKO'ed and thus can't heal off the damage. For the large Tyrants, you'll need Ghostwalker for decoys, Astral Protection for 100% Attribute Resistance, or a hyperoffensive build that is so absurd, you can OHKO the Tyrant. The Level 60 Skells are more flexible than the Ares 90 in terms of arsenal, but need more resources to make happen.

I never actually got into the XCX metagame, I found grinding two Arts TP Gain augments tedious enough. And by the time I finished the story, the metagame was pretty dead. But I did try to work towards a Gravity-based build using the suboptimal Photon Saber and Psycho Launchers (for Astral Protection) because I thought it sounded cool. I did admittedly turn to Dual Guns instead of Psycho Launchers in the short term, since Ghostwalker needs no Augments to function (it fails when you have multiple enemies or a multi-hitting enemy coming at you, since that'll chew through your decoys); Astral Protection offers nice resistances, but it isn't enough to mitigate enemy damage output without Attribute Augments- and they take time to make.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Simple strong builds are always going to be popular for those who don't want to invest in the time for something different. Perhaps less optimal, perhaps more, but just not as easy to assemble.

Blárblade + Close Counter + Vantage Reinhardt with max buffs is a build with a much higher ceiling compared to Dire Thunder, but people opt for the default since it’s not only unique to Reinhardt (and Olwen I guess? But Reinhardt is better than her) but also relatively strong at the outset already.

1 minute ago, Poimagic said:

With the amount of so common Rien builds going around, I want to get a +def Rein and use a Raven build with him, for uniqueness sake.

Didn’t @XRay try that one out already? You could ask him how well it worked.

21 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Loyal and responsible... huh, sounds familiar. Wonder where I heard that before...

Eh, probably nowhere.

Ishtar... I dunno, I wanna say she'll be back-burnered by Julius, but at the same time I wanna hope we stop getting so many Red units in the same one-month period.

16 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Reinhardt being easy to build works in his favor, not against him. Try telling Vax that Death Blow is easy to get

Reinhardt is one of the more interesting enemy-only characters from Thracia. When it comes to archetypes, he is best characterized as a Camus: friendly, loyal, and unfortunately fighting on the wrong side of the conflict.

If Reinhardt is lacking in character, then Hector and Cordelia by comparison don’t exactly have it in spades either.

Doesn't exactly sound like a hard task to accomplish to be honest. Wasn't Thracia in the earlier days of giving proper characterization to its cast when before you had... what, recruitment one-liners and battle-begin one-liners? Defeat quote maybe? I know he has more character than others, but it just doesn't feel interesting.

Also DB3 wasn't that hard for me to get copies of when I needed it most. I think I only have one or two units who need it now that don't have it, but I haven't even leveled said units yet, so whatever. Git gud, Vax's luk.

Edited by Xenomata

4 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Ishtar... I dunno, I wanna say she'll be back-burnered by Julius, but at the same time I wanna hope we stop getting so many Red units in the same one-month period.

Git gud, Vax's luk.

A good blue mage can go far. I want her to be a great blue mage. Arvis is very good, so I can expect Ishtar to do no less. Also, Mjölnir would get a kickass animation too, as did Valflame.

arghfgdsfdgsf stepping on my sore toes and rubbing it in

5 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

and Olwen I guess? But Reinhardt is better than her

I feel sorry for Olwen, she has two personal weapons, but I doubt she'll ever get the second one anytime soon. The Holy Sword could be interesting though, a Brave Sword with some form of Res boost and the anti-Cav property. Being that swords are Red though, would it still be possible for Olwen to destroy Rein with the Holy Sword like she can in Thracia?

24 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Given how good Rein is, wouldn't you be afraid she'd be crappy compared to him? I mean they'll make her good sure, but wouldn't it be disappointing if the girl with Major Tordo and Mjolnir turned out to be inferior to some common blood noble, even if the spoken of as the Seconding Coming of Tordo? Ishtar doesn't deserve to be reduced to the damsel of her bodyguard.

As long as he clears Infernal maps for me I don't care :D

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Given how good Rein is, wouldn't you be afraid she'd be crappy compared to him? I mean they'll make her good sure, but wouldn't it be disappointing if the girl with Major Tordo and Mjolnir turned out to be inferior to some common blood noble, even if the spoken of as the Seconding Coming of Tordo? Ishtar doesn't deserve to be reduced to the damsel of her bodyguard.

Mjolnir could easily provide both a Speed bonus and some cool Wrath effect to Ishtar, given the massive bonus to Skill and Speed she gets from it. Besides, she seems naturally fast and pretty strong, only thing I'd be worried about is if they give her Vantage as well... unless they were to do something neat and add another Close Counter unit, hint hint?

Edited by Xenomata

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

<Holy Sword>

<Ishtar and Reinhardt>

Seasonal sword cavalier Reinhardt with a master sword and Olwen with the holy sword when? Olwen is still cool, and Reinhardt is cool, and when both are cool, then everything is cool.

I wasn’t disappointed with Arvis (I expected him to come as a sage, for one thing), and I sure as hell won’t be disappointed with Ishtar. What if there’s Reinhardt? One can never have too many good blue mages, especially one with my luck.

Ishtar must have handpicked Reinhardt from the ranks of the Gelbenritter for him to serve as her retainer (is this the term we are using now, thanks to Fates?), so him meeting and maybe even exceeding her expectations can only be a positive thing for her, with how loyal and selfless he is to her.

1 hour ago, MrSmokestack said:

As a player blessed with three +Atk Reinhardts, it is my duty and responsibility to inform fellow players about the power of the almighty Reinhardt.

55 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

I replaced two of my Reinhardts' Death Blow with Close Counter and I still manage to teach at least ten players every week about how to deal with Reinhardt. I can give them all Fortify Cavalry to lower the difficulty even further, but I still do not think it will do much. In my opinion, Reinhardt himself is not the main problem; the main problem is dealing with ranged cavalry units. I used a triple blade pony defense team a few times and I still got a lot of players surrendering. Reinhardt just gets a lot of the blame because he has Dire Thunder on top of being ranged and cavalry.

22 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Didn’t @XRay try that one out already? You could ask him how well it worked.

20 minutes ago, Poimagic said:

That would make sense. @XRay, have you made a Raven Rienhardt? If so, how did it go?

I have not tried Raven Reinhardt yet. I may try it out next week. Sounds fun.

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

Ishtar must have handpicked Reinhardt from the ranks of the Gelbenritter for him to serve as her retainer (is this the term we are using now, thanks to Fates?), so him meeting and maybe even exceeding her expectations can only be a positive thing for her, with how loyal and selfless he is to her.

I'm more interested in figuring out what happened between Arvis and Aida. Saias has official age put at 27. If we do 776 -27 = 749, and deduct another year for the nine months of pregnancy, we have Saias conceived in 748 JC. That is 9 years before the events of Gen 1. If we put Arvis at the age of 22 at the beginning of Genealogy, which is erring on the higher side I think, Arvis did it with Aida at the age of 13, her age is unknown. 

Just what moved Arvis to fall into passion with Aida? How could he when he hated his philandering father? Did he try to let warmth into his cold heart? And what could have driven her, assuming her to be his age or even younger (perhaps she is older than him though, but only by a couple years at best I think), to accept Arvis's actions?

FE4 Remake or FE5 Remake better give Aida some soliloquy of her own, like a Memory Prism from SoV. Failing that, a few words from Saias about his mother and what she told him of his father and why she loved him.

@Interdimensional Observer: Yep, I’ve been wondering about Arvis×Aida for a while too. To think that Arvis, disgusted by his father fucking around, would sire a bastard himself, is rather ironic. Do the apples fall far from the tree?

Saias being 27 in Thracia doesn’t make much sense with these numbers. Someone must have screwed up when doing the math. Or they never bothered to do any math at all, that’s possible too.

Supports, conversations, memory prisms, there are so many ways to expand on the relationships between characters, to give insights into their behaviour. So much left unexplored. This is easily the thing that makes me the most excited for a possibility of remakes for the Jugdral dilogy (along with graphical updates and music remixes), and not the gameplay improvements.

I’m a weird one, I know.

I just got a friend into fire emblem heroes, and even fire emblem in general, and he got Brave Roy as his CYL summon and even a +atk/-spd Julia, and he is using a team of Shanna, Wrys, Brave Roy, and Julia, and I realized many things. A) Brave Roy is really broken, B) Julia as an +atk unit is very good, C) Shanna is very good. Give her brave lance, life and death, & desperation and she can rek a lot of things, and D) Wrys can be a pretty good healer.

1 hour ago, Xenomata said:

I'd take Reinhardt over Xander as a character all day any day. Sure, he's not very exciting as a character, but for certain characters less screen time actually works in their favor. Reinhardt happens to be one of them for me.

2 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

@Interdimensional Observer: Yep, I’ve been wondering about Arvis×Aida for a while too. To think that Arvis, disgusted by his father fucking around, would sire a bastard himself, is rather ironic. Do the apples fall far from the tree?

Saias being 27 in Thracia doesn’t make much sense with these numbers. Someone must have screwed up when doing the math. Or they never bothered to do any math at all, that’s possible too.

Supports, conversations, memory prisms, there are so many ways to expand on the relationships between characters, to give insights into their behaviour. So much left unexplored. This is easily the thing that makes me the most excited for a possibility of remakes for the Jugdral dilogy (along with graphical updates and music remixes), and not the gameplay improvements.

I’m a weird one, I know.

Jugdral's math makes no sense. At all.