"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

11 hours ago, Zeo said:

But anyways, how do I take him to the next level, skill wise? The extra HP, ATK and SPD from the seal is fantastic, but perhaps a breath seal, mystic boost or something of that nature would be better? What about his A and C skills as well? And who's a good support for him because Lute is his support partner but she's a bit outdated now.

Distant A/S Solo is currently the best Distant Counter skill available for offensive units, though the Solo condition on the stat boost doesn't play nice with Oath 4 or Pledge.

If you're running Oath 4 or Pledge, you're better off running Distant Ferocity if the unit is only being used on enemy phase or Distant Storm if the unit is being used on both phases. Ross has passive HP regeneration on his weapon that can fully offset the recoil from Distant Storm, but it also means he has less sustain due to the reduced regeneration.

If you can reliably maintain the Distant Counter effect from the new Prime skill series, Atk/Spd Prime 4 is also an option for Distant Counter.

If you're not running Distant Counter, the Finish skills are easily still the best A skills for most melee infantry. Windfire Boost 3 and Earthfire Boost 3 aren't released yet, but they're also good options for Ross, as they grant additional HP and the Guard effect. Fireflood Boost 3 already exists and is also a decent choice if you're looking for more Res. Atk/Spd Hexblade is a more niche option, but can be useful if you need to break a physical tank that has low Res.

The Oath 4 skills and the new Pledge skills are the best C skills for melee infantry unless they need a specific skill (like Time's Pulse 4) to function. Oath gives more mobility, whereas Pledge grants +1 Special charge rate, which can be helpful for Gambit builds.

For Sacred Seals, go with whichever skill has the stats you're looking for and a condition that is usable with the rest of the build.

Ideal doesn't yet have the Atk/Spd variant released as a Sacred Seal, but it has the easiest condition to activate, especially if you're running Oath 4 or Pledge.

Solo works best for player phase and is a given if you're running Distant A/S Solo, but it doesn't play nicely on enemy phase with Oath 4 or Pledge.

Blade Session grants the highest stats on player phase, but has no effect on enemy phase, and you have to play around the finicky Session condition.

Form grants the highest stats on enemy phase, but isn't as useful on player phase.

Breath is also an option on enemy phase if you aren't running Pledge. The only downsides are that it only grants one stat and that it has no effect on player phase.

Bonus Doubler works well with Oath 4 and Pledge and is active on both phases, but has its effect nullified by Dull effects.

Quick Riposte is Quick Riposte. Use it if you need it.

As far as supports go, any unit that you use often is typically fine as long as their roles don't overlap too much. If you want a good thematic choice, consider Ewan (if you have him).

Edited by Ice Dragon

• Replies 23k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is B!Eirika's best kit now, post-refine? Right now mine just has her default kit + Ruptured Sky.

P.S. When do you all expect the next Fates banner to be? I'm hoping Trample gets added as a DR-piercing special for mounted units sometime soon now that plan A of it being in said refine didn't pan out.

Thanks as always, everyone!

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

What is B!Eirika's best kit now, post-refine? Right now mine just has her default kit + Ruptured Sky.

P.S. When do you all expect the next Fates banner to be? I'm hoping Trample gets added as a DR-piercing special for mounted units sometime soon now that plan A of it being in said refine didn't pan out.

Thanks as always, everyone!

honestly her kit has aged fairly well. You obviously want to keep her Prf B, and her having canto 2 in said prf B means that she doesn't really need Alarm, which is the natural upgrade to AS Menace. You could obviously do something like Panic Smoke or D/R Smoke as a sidegrade/more supportive option. Since her DR is now dual-phase and she has full NFU, you can flex into mixed phase by replacing her A with something like AS Clash and giving her Spd Smoke on C, but it's tough to say how relevant that is. Her A is probably the most replacable slot in general, and I think AS Clash is a good choice even if you intend to keep her player-phase only.

Edit: I forgot about Flared Sparrow lmao. If you're running player phase BEirika, that's the skill you want. Clash is runner-up/Mixed phase option.

Edited by Ether

1 hour ago, Ether said:

honestly her kit has aged fairly well. You obviously want to keep her Prf B, and her having canto 2 in said prf B means that she doesn't really need Alarm, which is the natural upgrade to AS Menace. You could obviously do something like Panic Smoke or D/R Smoke as a sidegrade/more supportive option. Since her DR is now dual-phase and she has full NFU, you can flex into mixed phase by replacing her A with something like AS Clash and giving her Spd Smoke on C, but it's tough to say how relevant that is. Her A is probably the most replacable slot in general, and I think AS Clash is a good choice even if you intend to keep her player-phase only.

Thanks for the advice! You're not the first to suggest Clash either, so it's fortunate I have a Rearmed Chrom in my barracks if people think that's a good use of him? Do melee units use Flared Sparrow well, or is it better on ranged units who can burn stuff from a distance?

4 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Thanks for the advice! You're not the first to suggest Clash either, so it's fortunate I have a Rearmed Chrom in my barracks if people think that's a good use of him? Do melee units use Flared Sparrow well, or is it better on ranged units who can burn stuff from a distance?

It's rough, because Devourer is a very strong weapon to bring up another unit with. If you can snag a BSeliph I'd use him instead, but ultimately if BEirika is your fave, that's the most important thing. Ranged units do use Flared sparrow better just by virtue of being easier to position and having higher reach, but melee cavalry still have good reach and it's easily the best A for player phased... anything that can inherit it honestly. It's a nuts skill.

4 hours ago, Ether said:

It's rough, because Devourer is a very strong weapon to bring up another unit with. If you can snag a BSeliph I'd use him instead, but ultimately if BEirika is your fave, that's the most important thing. Ranged units do use Flared sparrow better just by virtue of being easier to position and having higher reach, but melee cavalry still have good reach and it's easily the best A for player phased... anything that can inherit it honestly. It's a nuts skill.

Unfortunately I only have the one Seliph, but I have a second Chrom. I did consider using him to clone Flared Sparrow or some other restricted skill if the need arose though, considering how hard it is to get Clash 4 from just him right now. Thanks for the glowing review for Flared Sparrow by the way, it's really nice to know!

Edited by DefyingFates

@Ice Dragon Distant A/S Solo is a no brainer, but it's extremely rare fodder that I'm unlikely to have any time soon and even if it were to appear on a banner, I'd have to summon two of F!F!Byleth so it's unlikely. I have to try to be realistic.

I feel the same way about Finish Skills for this build I did before the stat buffs are great and really easy, but I don't feel like it's that worth it for such a high CD special that you'll basically never have ready and/or only proc a single time. You could actually do some really nonsense stuff with Ross like a Finish 4 Skill, Miracle, ATK/SPD Pledge and the Mystic Boost seal to just make him a cockroach. It sounds extremely fun but it's not realistic or practical. 

Earthfire or Windfire boost are good choices but who knows when they will exist. I'll try for a Finish skill like you said regardless. The statbuffs are significant. Otherwise I'll shoot for Distant Storm if I can.

ATK/SPD Pledge probably won't be an easily accessable skill for a long time. It's exactly what he wants but I doubt I'll be able to get it. I'll try for either an Oath skill or wait for ATK/DEF Pledge. For a seal, the Breath Seal seems good but of all the ones you listed only that one really resonates with me.

On the other hand, the seal he's got right now gives him +3 ATK and SPD for securing kills and taking down slower units without followup negation, and the +5 HP gives him one additional point of damage. I don't know if a bit more viability on EP is a better tradeoff. But Fierce Breath seems like the way to go otherwise.

For support, I don't know how much better Ewan is than Lute, honestly. At least Lute has color advantage over opponents that Ross is weak against. But now that I think about it. My arena core is probably going to be Ross/Erk/Ilyana (Yes I know I'm not going to be scoring well.) and I could always give Ilyana Infantry breath which would free up Ross' seal.

Ilyana is my +10 Blue Mage of choice and she's just as much of a favorite as Lute (If not maybe I like Lute just a bit more) so I could always just give her the Arcane Blue tome when it shows up, and Infantry Breath and there's a bit of synergy there.

10 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Surge Sparrow is still the best A skill for sustain due to the healing effect. If you want a more offensive option, you're definitely looking at Flared Sparrow.

Her refine makes all of her weapon effects apply to both phases, so she can viably run dual-phase builds now if you want to. Atk/Spd Catch 4 and Atk/Spd Clash 4 are her best option for dual phase, with Catch granting consistent stats and Clash granting stat penalty nullification (noting that Clash doesn't play nice with Grand Strategy because of this).

She can also run Distant A/S Solo or the new Atk/Spd Prime 4 if you want a Distant Counter option, though Prime obviously requires support to grant the Distant Counter effect.

Moonlight Bangle is still her best-in-slot B skill.

Alarm Atk/Spd is technically her best C skill right now due to it granting an in-combat stat boost, even if she can't use the Canto effect.

If you can supply the initial stat bonuses with a teammate, Spd Smoke 4, Def/Res Smoke 3, and Panic Smoke 4 are all viable options. Spd Smoke 4 works well for a dual-phase build, and Def/Res Smoke 3 and Panic Smoke 4 help her allies clean up.

Luna is still her hardest-hitting Special. Ruptured Sky is the best Special against opponents that can't counterattack, but are still bulky enough to require a Special to kill.

1 hour ago, Zeo said:

I feel the same way about Finish Skills for this build I did before the stat buffs are great and really easy, but I don't feel like it's that worth it for such a high CD special that you'll basically never have ready and/or only proc a single time. You could actually do some really nonsense stuff with Ross like a Finish 4 Skill, Miracle, ATK/SPD Pledge and the Mystic Boost seal to just make him a cockroach. It sounds extremely fun but it's not realistic or practical. 

The thing about Finish is that as long as you activate the Special once every two attacks, the additional damage will have already paid itself off compared to Ideal. In general, Finish is the default non-Distant-Counter option for sword, lance, and axe infantry if they don't need to offload a specific skill effect into the A skill.

The only situations where you should instead be running Ideal are when the unit can reliably remain at max HP or if you absolutely need the extra +2 Spd on the first round of combat.

The only other dual-phase non-Distant-Counter skill that is viable for the A slot is Atk/Spd Hexblade (at least until Windfire Boost 3 is released), which is used specifically for breaking asymmetric walls.

8 hours ago, Zeo said:

Ilyana is my +10 Blue Mage of choice and she's just as much of a favorite as Lute (If not maybe I like Lute just a bit more) so I could always just give her the Arcane Blue tome when it shows up, and Infantry Breath and there's a bit of synergy there.

Now that I can mention it without spoilers, the current Tempest Trials boss has revealed Arcane Euphoria as the next Arcane weapon, and it's a blue tome. It has the Slaying effect, +5 to all stats, a guaranteed follow-up, 30% damage reduction on the opponent's first attack, and deals additional damage equal to 15% of the unit's Atk. Basically Arcane Nastrond as a blue tome.

Lute and Ilyana both have the same Atk stat with maximum Dragonflowers. Lute requires more Dragonflowers to max out, but she has higher Spd, whereas Ilyana has higher Res. If you want a more recent unit, Desert Soren is in the Grail shop and is basically Ilyana with more Atk and Res in exchange for less HP.

The other top-tier options for Arcane Euphoria are Summer Tharja and Desert Byleth, who are both 4-star Special Heroes.

16 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Now that I can mention it without spoilers, the current Tempest Trials boss has revealed Arcane Euphoria as the next Arcane weapon, and it's a blue tome. It has the Slaying effect, +5 to all stats, a guaranteed follow-up, 30% damage reduction on the opponent's first attack, and deals additional damage equal to 15% of the unit's Atk. Basically Arcane Nastrond as a blue tome.

Lute and Ilyana both have the same Atk stat with maximum Dragonflowers. Lute requires more Dragonflowers to max out, but she has higher Spd, whereas Ilyana has higher Res. If you want a more recent unit, Desert Soren is in the Grail shop and is basically Ilyana with more Atk and Res in exchange for less HP.

The other top-tier options for Arcane Euphoria are Summer Tharja and Desert Byleth, who are both 4-star Special Heroes.

Efficiency comes 2nd to favorites when it comes to unit choices. Desert Soren is essentially a no brainer as I like him as well. But only after giving the first Arcane weapon to Ilyana (or Lute, but she's +3 so that's unlikely.). Desert Byleth and Summer Tharja are amazing choices. But the amount of orbs you'd need to pull for them, even as a *4 special unit is too much for a F2P if they aren't favorites. And for me, if I'm putting such premium fodder on a unit, they either have to be a favorite or a unit I plan to max invest. And for merges it's just tough to do that with rarer units.

Speaking more to efficiency. The guaranteed followup and nature of this tome seems to lean more towards hard hitting tome users who aren't necessarily all that fast. Of which Ilyana fits the role fine. Desert Soren is objectively the best choice, but the grail and feather cost to build him up when Ilyana already has things like ATK/RES Finish 4 (She was a forma) is simply not worth it.

5 hours ago, Zeo said:

The guaranteed followup and nature of this tome seems to lean more towards hard hitting tome users who aren't necessarily all that fast.

It's at least worth noting that a guaranteed follow-up is roughly equivalent to the offensive Null Follow-Up effect for fast units.

Fast units that have a guaranteed follow-up instead of Null Follow-Up lose out on a follow-up against slow units that have both follow-up prevention and the defensive Null Follow-Up effect (basically just Hardy Fighter units that have follow-up prevention on their weapon), but gain a follow-up against fast units that don't have the defensive Null Follow-Up effect (which is somewhat less common than the offensive Null Follow-Up effect on weapons).

11 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

She can also run Distant A/S Solo or the new Atk/Spd Prime 4 if you want a Distant Counter option, though Prime obviously requires support to grant the Distant Counter effect.

I don't have LM!Robin so the penalty nullification isn't an issue for me, but I'm curious about Distant A/S Solo. Is it a good choice for her?

5 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

I don't have LM!Robin so the penalty nullification isn't an issue for me, but I'm curious about Distant A/S Solo. Is it a good choice for her?

+10+15 Brave Eirika [+Spd] has 49/78/68/50/46 with just her weapon and exclusive B skill equipped.

+10+20 Freyja [+Spd] has 51/79/72/49/47 when transformed with just her weapon and exclusive B skill equipped.

Both have full Null Follow-Up and offensive Tempo.

Eirika gets +1 to all stats for each non-stat Bonus on the opponent (up to a maximum of +4), nullifies the opponent's stat bonuses, has 40% damage reduction against the opponent's first attack, and has a free Moonbow or Luna on every attack. Also effective damage.

Freyja gets +1 Atk/Def/Res for each space the attacker moves (up to a maximum of +3), steals the opponent's stat bonuses, has up to 40% damage reduction, and has an additional 30% damage reduction against the opponent's first attack if the attacker moved at least 2 spaces.

Running Distant A/S Solo also costs Eirika a few more points of Atk/Spd compared to a different A skill, but I think it's still a viable pick. She won't be quite as bulky as Freyja, but she'll hit back harder. You'll probably want to run Spd Smoke 4 for the additional stack of Dodge with this build.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Running Distant A/S Solo also costs Eirika a few more points of Atk/Spd compared to a different A skill, but I think it's still a viable pick. She won't be quite as bulky as Freyja, but she'll hit back harder. You'll probably want to run Spd Smoke 4 for the additional stack of Dodge with this build.

Gotcha, thank you! That's what I expected. Is Clash or Catch better for her, by the way, given the current meta? As I said before, I don't have LM!Robin or use her with Duo!Chrom so I'm not worried about messing with penalties.

Edited by DefyingFates

3 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Gotcha, thank you! That's what I expected. Is Clash or Catch better for her, by the way, given the current meta? As I said before, I don't have LM!Robin or use her with Duo!Chrom so I'm not worried about messing with penalties.

Clash wins anywhere stat penalties are common, which is most competitive game modes and challenge maps. Catch wins everywhere else, but the difference in stats is small enough that the benefit of nullifying stat penalties with Clash generally outweighs the reliable +9 stats with Catch.

As long as you don't forget to move at least 1 space on player phase and position the unit so that enemies will have to move at least 1 space on enemy phase so that the skill activates at all, Clash is going to be the generally more useful skill.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Clash wins anywhere stat penalties are common, which is most competitive game modes and challenge maps. Catch wins everywhere else, but the difference in stats is small enough that the benefit of nullifying stat penalties with Clash generally outweighs the reliable +9 stats with Catch.

As long as you don't forget to move at least 1 space on player phase and position the unit so that enemies will have to move at least 1 space on enemy phase so that the skill activates at all, Clash is going to be the generally more useful skill.

Thanks! Clash 4 it is then... now to hope for a random B!Seliph to spook me!

In the meantime, I just found out Khadein Soren earns as much in Arena as B!Eirika does (unless she has B Duel Cav but that only bumps her up one bin/ 2 points). I know I'm just late to the punch but knowing BST has crept so far is still... something, alright! People still use B!Eirika in Arena, right?

Greetings!

I have had the fortune of acquiring Ascended Eir and I wish to fodder her off for Mystic Boost 4. The problem being, is that I have difficulty figuring out what unit would best benefit from the skill.

For example: Would it benefit a "counterattack regardless of range" unit like Murdock?

8 hours ago, Valolaire said:

Greetings!

I have had the fortune of acquiring Ascended Eir and I wish to fodder her off for Mystic Boost 4. The problem being, is that I have difficulty figuring out what unit would best benefit from the skill.

For example: Would it benefit a "counterattack regardless of range" unit like Murdock?

I don't know how practical it would be in the long run, but Mystic Boost might be a good choice for B!Seliph to combo with his weapon's miracle effect. og!Seliph may be a good choice if you have his default Tyrfing's refine too.

Edited by DefyingFates

9 hours ago, Valolaire said:

Greetings!

Mystic Boost 4 is a relatively niche skill. Its primary use is on units with Miracle-like effects to recover enough HP to activate the effect multiple times, and even then, it's difficult to justify running it over a different B skill and simply putting Mystic Boost 3 in the Sacred Seal slot. (And it's worth noting that infantry also have access to the Finish and Bulwark skills for healing.)

If you're considering running it for its anti-staff effects, infantry have Null C-Disrupt 4, which is useful in more situations. While armors and fliers don't have access to Null C-Disrupt, they have other defensive skills that are also useful in more situations and are generally considered to be better than Mystic Boost.

1 hour ago, Lemmy said:

Regarding Claude’s Prime skill

I was thinking of using it as a distant counter replacement. But I’m still not clear on what counts as a bonus. Like does Atk/Spd Oath grant bonuses, and if so, how many?

Because Prime only counts non-stat effects, Oath's visible Atk and Spd don't count, however, it's Orders buff(the warping) does count, so for the purposes of Prime, AS Oath grants one bonus. In general, if a skill or weapon applies an effect that gets a tooltip(ex, Wind Claude gets [Null Followup] as a Bonus from his weapon, rather than his weapon just having the Null followup effects, then it counts.

2 hours ago, Lemmy said:

Regarding Claude’s Prime skill

I was thinking of using it as a distant counter replacement. But I’m still not clear on what counts as a bonus. Like does Atk/Spd Oath grant bonuses, and if so, how many?

Every icon that appears in the corner of the unit's map sprite that corresponds to a positive status effect except for the green up arrow for direct stat boosts counts as 1 Bonus towards Prime's Close/Distant Counter effect.

Examples:

• Atk/Spd Menace adds 0 to Prime's counter.
  • Atk/Spd Oath adds 1 to Prime's counter. The Formation status effect counts as 1.
  • Opened Domain adds 2 to Prime's counter. Resonance: Blades and Resonance: Shields count as 1 each.
  • Playful Pinwheel adds 2 to Prime's counter. Null Follow-Up and Null Panic count as 1 each.

So the FE8 and FEH HoFs are in the rerun poll. Obviously Three Houses is going to win because it's Three Houses, but on the off-chance that FE8 gets botted to victory or something, I wanted to know what Myrrh's best build would be. Apparently the CYL skills will be in the pool at that point? If so, Counter Roar is on the table and I figured I should opt for pretty much B!Corrin's build, i.e. Spirit Breath +Eff, Counter Roar 4, Armored Beacon and a Def-based Far Save to go along with it, but I'm not sure what I should go for beyond that.

P.S. If FEH wins instead, would Laegjarn's best build be Flared Sparrow, S/R Far Trace and a Hold Skill with Ruptured Sky as a Special?

Thanks as always everyone!

7 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

So the FE8 and FEH HoFs are in the rerun poll. Obviously Three Houses is going to win because it's Three Houses, but on the off-chance that FE8 gets botted to victory or something, I wanted to know what Myrrh's best build would be. Apparently the CYL skills will be in the pool at that point? If so, Counter Roar is on the table and I figured I should opt for pretty much B!Corrin's build, i.e. Spirit Breath +Eff, Counter Roar 4, Armored Beacon and a Def-based Far Save to go along with it, but I'm not sure what I should go for beyond that.

Halloween Myrrh's optimal set with skills through the CYL banner would look something like this.

Near Save:

Halloween Myrrh [+Res / +Def]
Spirit Breath [unique]
[Assist]
Bonfire / Ignis
Atk/Res Scowl 4 / Close Def 4
Counter Roar 4 / Special Fighter 4
D/R Near Save 3 / A/D Near Save 3
Def/Res Form 3

Far Save:

Halloween Myrrh [+Res]
Spirit Breath [unique]
[Assist]
Armored Beacon
Atk/Res Scowl 4 / Distant Def 4 / Fireflood Boost 3
Counter Roar 4 / Special Fighter 4
D/R Far Save 3
Distant Counter (D)

For the Near Save build, Bonfire should be used with Counter Roar, and Ignis should be used with Special Fighter. D/R Near Save should be run with Scowl. A/D Near Save should be run with Close Def.

Fireflood Boost can be used with Special Fighter even though the Guard effect overlaps because you still get the additional 5 HP.

Arcane Grima [Def / Res] can be used instead of Spirit Breath for the Slaying effect and passive healing in exchange for some bulk. This also give her access to a standard Hardy Fighter build.

8 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

P.S. If FEH wins instead, would Laegjarn's best build be Flared Sparrow, S/R Far Trace and a Hold Skill with Ruptured Sky as a Special?

Summer Laegjarn would probably run something like this:

Summer Laegjarn [+Spd]
Worldsea Wave [unique]
[Assist]
Ruptured Sky / Luna
Flared Sparrow / Atk/Spd Catch 4
S/R Far Trace 3 / Seal Spd 4 / Escape Route 4
Atk/Spd Oath 4 / Spd/Res Hold
[any Sacred Seal that boosts Atk/Spd]

Flared Sparrow deals more damage, but Atk/Spd Catch 4 gives her 2 additional points of Spd for the purposes of creeping Spd.

Escape Route 4 should only be used if you have a reliable means of getting damage on her, as she is unlikely to take damage in combat due to her weapon's Desperation effect. As with the passive A skill, S/R Far Trace deals more damage, but Seal Spd 4 grants a higher boost to Spd.

Atk/Spd Oath 4 is her overall best C skill for combat performance, especially because her weapon relies on having stat bonuses to gain additional Atk/Spd. Spd/Res Hold should really only be used if you already have support effects to grant her Atk/Spd bonuses.

If you can afford to give up combat performance from her C slot, she can also run Guidance 4, Soaring Guidance, or Def/Res Smoke 3.