This should've been a new 3DS game

Espinosa

Instead of letting us relive Gaiden's atrocious gameplay again with pretty graphics this April, they should've made this game a proper 3DS title instead of a a phone gacha title. I've spent plenty of time on it recently, and there's definitely a lot of potential here that's being wasted. Most importantly, for a game that does one long-awaited thing right (removing the luck-based aspect of FE in the unreliability of hit, crit and skill proc rates) for a change, there's too much reliance on luck (or cashing out) to get a competent team. 

- Storyline extended

- Remove stamina entirely

- Farm desired heroes (possibly - with the right IVs) by reloading save over and over without wasting 20 orbs each time

- Permit actual PvP not experienced in the series since Shadow Dragon

- Expand the game to include more characters from other FE titles

- More heroes obtained via quests and performing tasks than for trying your luck with the pulls

apparently not everyone thought that gaiden had atrocious gameplay

also you're kind of asking for something awakening did lowkey, as well as a pretty big expansion on Heroes entirely. and you REALLY want reloading for better rolls? really?

While I'm enjoying Heroes a lot, personally I'd be all for a 3DS adaptation.

Heroes is nice for the quick play nature of mobile games, but a 3DS adaptation could allow for more depth with gameplay and story. Obviously the summoning mechanic would have to be reworked but I think it could work.

And hey, it's not like there's no precedent for mobile games becoming console/handheld games. Kingdom Hearts coded was a mobile game before being remade for the 3DS.

literally everything about the game is designed in a way that works for mobile gameplay, there is no way they would've come up with any of these ideas while making a 3ds game

gaiden is also pretty fun

^ Pretty much this. The closest I can see it being reworked for the 3DS if it was an eShop title and not an entire game on it's own. It just seems weird that you pay x amount of dollars for a game where you have to pay an additional x amount of dollars for orbs in order to do summons.

Gatcha games are designed to be small but enjoyable experiences to play every now and then. This doesn't even have to apply to just gatcha games but for mobile games that involve 'stamina' in general. If a game has a limit to how much you can play, that should say something about how it was designed. Yes, in the beginning they can be extremely addicting that you don't want to stop, but as you can see, lots of people were able to fly through the 9 chapters by playing non-stop and then they don't have much to do afterwards. Stamina is pretty much there to prolong the experience in moderation.

Edited by carefreejules

3 minutes ago, fuccboi said:

how is this a better decision

it doesn't cost money!

i mean, it's not a good decision, but it could (or i guess is) be worse.

33 minutes ago, unique said:

literally everything about the game is designed in a way that works for mobile gameplay, there is no way they would've come up with any of these ideas while making a 3ds game

gaiden is also pretty fun

This.

The idea of a one-off purchase version isn't one I'd be against, but it would very much be a different game. Also, while it works for this game, I don't think removing hit and crit is some "long-awaited" thing.

Heroes is a great game for the system it's designed for, and every indication is that the Gaiden remake will be as well. IS has really figured out how to make FE gameplay work lately: it's like they finally started figuring out how FE combat should work in Awakening and then perfected those ideas in Fates and Heroes. They're not going to suddenly slip back into mistakes from 25 years ago.

Making Fire Emblem Heroes a free to play mobile game was a great marketing move.  It does a good job at compacting the experience.  Fire Emblem Gaiden is being completely reworked for a 3DS re-release so don't judge it to early.  Lastly, Fire Emblem Fates has a few pvp battle modes in it.

No, theres plenty of 3DS fire emblem games that have come out and plenty more to come.  I don't think they needed another one at all.  Additionally, I don't think them making this game has had much impact on the release dates of future fire emblem games.  This game is extremely oversimplified and I think if this was a 3ds game, I'd be very dissapointed.  This game is also dependent on Nintendo continuing to update the game which is an unrealistic expectation for anything other than a 3ds game. 

I don't think this game is meant to rival full fire emblem games at all, but rather, compliments the games quite well.  

I disagree. It's a fun game, but pretty much something to pass time. The gameplay mechanics are very simple, the storyline is very simple, the skills are very simple, the maps are very simple, there isn't much to do in the game already and it only becomes worse because of the stamina system (which is understandable, but still a limitation).

I really liked Heroes, I loved seeing my favorite characters get pretty artworks and some voiceovers were good, but it has far too many flaws to be a proper game. It's good enough for a gacha phone game, though.

Personally I wouldn't object to a 3DS version of FE Heroes, like how there is a Mobile and 3DS version of Pokemon Shuffle.

But you do realise Fire Emblem Heroes was created as part of Nintendo's big move into the mobile market. If Heroes was created for 3DS instead, there would've been another Fire Emblem for mobile instead, so in that case, it's better that Heroes be the mobile one.

Besides, there's also Fire Emblem for Switch in the works, which is expected to be the big new (as in not-a-sequel) Fire Emblem. So honestly we're getting the best of all worlds (F2P, remake, new game and spin-off in the space of two years).

Hmmm, asides the more obvious gacha elements, I think there's a number of things that would need to be reworked for a 3DS title:

• Price (okay this is an obvious gacha element)
  • A good (or respectable) plot/story
  • 8x6 battlefield is too small
  • Battles are too quick
  • Tactical/Strategy elements would need expanding to be on par with other FE games.
  • Too much character cross-over (the different 'worlds')

Initially, Heroes didn't appeal to me when I watched it's uncovering on Nintendo Direct, due to sacrifices/changes made for mobile (included those I've listed).  When I gave it a shot I found that the changes actually work but have produced in a way, a very different game that's fit for it's intended platform.  In terms of it's adaptation/execution I think Nintendo/Intelligent Systems have done a good job!  Yet IMO, adapting Heroes to the 3DS wouldn't work without undoing such changes (and doing away with the gacha), by which point Heroes for 3DS becomes a separate title that has little to do with Heroes...

The thing I like about Heroes as it is now, is I can play it everywhere.  I take my phone everywhere already.  I could theoretically take my 3DS everywhere, but if I'm in scrubs, I can only carry so much in my pockets and you can't take a purse everywhere.

3 hours ago, Espinosa said:

removing the luck-based aspect of FE in the unreliability of hit, crit and skill proc rates

- Farm desired heroes (possibly - with the right IVs) by reloading save over and over without wasting 20 orbs each time

- Permit actual PvP not experienced in the series since Shadow Dragon

- Expand the game to include more characters from other FE titles

- More heroes obtained via quests and performing tasks than for trying your luck with the pulls

1. Random hit rates and procs imply that the tactician does not and should not have omniscient knowledge of how a battle will unfold. Part of the strategy on any given turn is to account for damage that could result from a miss and if the risk is worth using that unit there. In games prior to Awakening, the high damage proc skills were usually reserved for player units or very tough bosses/minibosses. I can't recall any complaints about proc skills until Lunatic +.
  2. Farming is farming. And not very "Fire Emblem". This mechanic is central to the gacha gameplay that Heroes is based on and should not be adapted to a console strategy game.  
  3. Actual PVP will result in either a) everyone using the same selection of OP units/frowned upon but effective tactics or b) hackers always find a way
  4. Expansion of the roster will happen over time in Heroes and if given a full selection, most will just jump to their favorites with no consideration for not-top-tier other units
  5. At this point the game could just be story driven with various units recruited every chapter

As someone else has stated, the game with this point seems to just be Awakening's Spotpass combined with Shadow Dragon's PVP which has the problems of any PVP mode.

In short, no. I disagree that this should have been a 3DS game.

I'm in the crowd that wants to see Heroes be ported to the old 3DS as a non-F2P title (maybe with DLC). However, it may take over a year before it can happen though (look at Pokemon Rumble World).

Edited by Roflolxp54

25 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

I'm in the crowd that wants to see Heroes be ported to the old 3DS as a non-F2P title (maybe with DLC). However, it may take over a year before it can happen though (look at Pokemon Rumble World).

I wouldn't mind some sort of subscription service, like with MMOs.  But Orbs are so expensive, that even $15 a month, like WoW wouldn't get you far.

46 minutes ago, Nym said:

That game would be average at best on a 3DS

Yeah, if it was on 3DS, it would have to be a free-to-play like that Pokemon Candy Crush game.  I don't see this being FE15 or whatnot.

5 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Yeah, if it was on 3DS, it would have to be a free-to-play like that Pokemon Candy Crush game.  I don't see this being FE15 or whatnot.

Especially if you compare it to the amount of contents that either Awakening or Fates have and the amount of time that you have to put in both of those games.