Not sure what skill to inherit or who to inherit it from? Read this! (Please read before posting)

MrSmokestack

@MaskedAmpharos Idk... my Ephraim usually one shot Lyn/Lucina etc etc. (idk about Chrom/Roy). Ephraim is pretty much built like a Lance Hector with movement. My Ephraim almost always struggle against a RED DRAGON (Tiki). Even Ephraim mostly win in defence... but not worth it. He needs WyvmSlayer or something ... to fight her off.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Ryuke said:

@MaskedAmpharos Idk... my Ephraim usually one shot Lyn/Lucina etc etc. (idk about Chrom/Roy). Ephraim is pretty much built like a Lance Hector with movement. My Ephraim almost always struggle against a RED DRAGON (Tiki). Even Ephraim mostly win in defence... but not worth it. He needs WyvmSlayer or something ... to fight her off.

Maybe give him Triangle Adept then? That would do a lot to neutralize Tiki's damage. 

The thing about TAdept is.. it comes with a cost. Against Green unit. But .. in Ephraim case.. you might benefit. Since most green unit only manage to do one hit on Ephraim (unless Brave or Nino -- which is instant death).

Like Tadept on Roy is bad ... since Roy can easily nullify any green unit w/o Tadept (unless -atk)

54 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

Like @MrSmokestack ... Nowi to me ... is just there. (She doesnt have good B/B) but that doesnt matter. She usually just sit around doing nothing or... tank on Takumi hit and cannot finish (lovely vantage) .... I dont plan to give her any skill... we'lll see how it plays out. Maybe enough for Vantage 2 at best.

Seems like if that's what you use her for, Quick Riposte would be optimal.  Would kill Takumi right then and there.

22 minutes ago, GinRei said:

Seems like if that's what you use her for, Quick Riposte would be optimal.  Would kill Takumi right then and there.

Sounds about right... (Does double Vantage cancels out?)

Quick Riposte just hard to get.. (well rare)

46 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

Sounds about right... (Does double Vantage cancels out?)

Quick Riposte just hard to get.. (well rare)

Vantage can only activate on your opponent's turn, so it can't activate for both combatants in the same round of combat.

Yay more comments

2 hours ago, r4v1sh said:

Any kind of Nowi you're particularly having trouble lately? :rolleyes: She's kind of my MVP right now, and I really can't decide between swordbreaker, risposte and vantage for her. I'm also looking for a suitable finisher, but with the slow trigger due to lightning breath, I don't think that's as important as a B skill.

Swordbreaker Nowi is the meta right now because you can simply bait and one-round Falchions, aka the stuff that's supposed to counter her. On a pure dragon team, this is a godsend. Consider replacing her A Skill with Triangle Adept over Defense Plus. On Defense, Quick Riposte is definitely better because of her bulk and attack power, giving her Effie-levels of offense while remaining much more versatile. Vantage is fine though. Writing this really makes me want to pull her now...

2 hours ago, Ryuke said:

Also.. MrSmokestack : TAdept on a flier doesnt seem that good. Maybe.. maybe not. Maybe if you have a second TAdept to make up the mess..in case an opposite Color is at range. (TAdept on a Cav). Yeah definitely planning to save one Iote Shield (And I am pretty sure... Vaida or Galle or Valter) will have more Iote in the future. Hopefully some learns it naturally. I know Death Blow is also a strong one.

I mentioned Triangle Adept because Cordelia gets it, and it makes up the bulk of her offense. Triangle Adept in general isn't a bad skill because pitting a unit versus an enemy they have a weapon disadvantage against is never going to be optimal, and with skillful play they are never getting hit in the first place. It's generally at its best if you combine it with a -raven tome, like Robin and Sanaki (albeit via inheritance from Henry) can. OHKO'ing some units is sometimes necessary to avoid lethal counterattack damage, and this makes ranged nukes a pretty safe option to build a team around.

A Galle and Milady focus would be pretty great, I liked them a lot in FE6.

2 hours ago, Sophie said:

Hey, looking for some advice.
Want to keep Lyn on my team, but -speed hurts her a bit.
She is +Atk - speed.

Thinking of brash assault, since it would probably still fit on her, even with -speed.
But is there anything else that might work on her?

Also want to run a healer sometimes, who will most likely be Serra, I'm not sure what would be nice on her.

Ouch, -Speed. 34 isn't a bad speed tier, but then again 37 isn't very good to begin with. Brash Assault is the meta for Lyn, because right now she is the only unit that can run it alongside innate Desperation on her Sol Katti. Fortunately, Brash doesn't rely on her speed stat, so all you need to do is get her down to half and she can put in some work with the +7 from Defiant Attack. Since her bulk is mediocre, you want a way to get her HP low without risking putting her in the line of fire, so your best options here are to take Reciprocal Aid or Ardent Sacrifice as your Assist. Aid might be better, as Lyn needs to use Ardent Sacrifice twice in one game in order to get below the 50% threshold for Sol Katti to proc. Pair her with a tank unit like Ephraim who would appreciate the extra healing while setting up her offense at the same time.

Choice of healer doesn't matter, but having a mount is greatly preferred, which narrows your choices down to Priscilla, Elise, and Clarine. I know, I know, two of those are 5*, and the one I use, Sakura, isn't mounted anyway. Most of the weapon skills aside from Panic / Assault / Absorb are pretty decent, with Slow and Fear offering stat manipulation and Gravity and Pain offering utility, whether in limiting movement or setting up kills. Your choice of Assist comes down to either Rehabilitate or Recover; the former provides burst healing--and is the only staff that can heal a teammate up to full health if they are at 7HP or less--while the latter provides a flat but consistent bonus. The special should be either Kindled-Fire / Swift-Winds Balm or Heavenly Light. The offensive balms keep your healer from being too passive while Heavenly Light lets you heal your entire team, which addresses their common weakness of being able to not attend to multiple wounded allies. Someone asked about using a Staffer earlier, and I recommend looking at the response in case I missed anything here.

Hope this helped!

Edited by MrSmokestack

31 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

Damn... Raven + TAdept (seems brutal)

Not sure if -Atk Nowi can even sword break most Lord. (Yeah.. worse of the worse)

-Atk Nowi is fine for the top tier sword lords. Generally speaking, the high ones sacrificed hp AND res to get their good offenses and respectable physical bulk.

Lucina, for example, has 19 base res. -Atk 5* Nowi with Lightning Breath+ deals [50 (31+11)*1.2 - 19]*2 = 62 damage. (Even +Res , Fury 3 variants are 1RKOd)

Ryoma fares 'better' with 21 base res, so -Atk 5* Nowi with Lightning Breath+ deals [50 (31+11)*1.2 - 21]*2 = 58 damage. (+Res, Fury 3 variants take 46 damage, and are 1RKOd as well.)

+Res Marth (lol) with Fury 3, the one with the highest Res of all Falchion wielders, takes 42 damage, and gets 1RKOd.

Yeah....

Now, damage wise, +Atk Deathblow Chrom clocks in at a respectable (40 + 6 + 16)*.8*1.5 - 30 = 45. Meaning he one shots Neutral Nowi. (Chrom is a scary dad, do not attempt to tank.)

Edit: Fortunately Chrom is the strongest sword by a wide Margin, and Fury 3, +Def nature, or TAdept would allow Nowi to survive regardless. Just, uh, don't put anything vitally important next to that guy and his sword arm.

Edited by DehNutCase

1 hour ago, Ryuke said:

Not sure if -Atk Nowi can even sword break most Lord. (Yeah.. worse of the worse)

-Atk Nowi with Triangle Adept 3 and Swordbreaker will still one-round kill every single unboosted Fury 3 sword-user in the game, with +Res Roy and +Res Caeda taking exactly enough damage to die.

Assuming Nowi is neutral defenses and excluding Falchion-users, the most damage a Fury 3 sword-user can deal to her is 5 damage, which is +Atk Fury 3 Eliwood and only when he initiates combat (for Durandal's innate Death Blow 2).

+Atk Fury 3 Chrom deals 23 damage and is the only Fury 3 sword-user capable of bringing Nowi below half health.

Edited by Ice Dragon

3 minutes ago, Aera said:

Could anyone clarify the difference between Hone and Spur skills? I am trying to find viable skills for healers. Thanks!

Hone attack boost one trait at the start of the turn and then the buffed ally can move and still benefit from it.

Spur buffes too but only as long as the unit is next to the buffer unit. If you move you don't benefit from it.

Hawkeye 

With Quick Riposte / Distant Counter (Yeah.. the same duo)

He will Riposte at least twice? (Because of his higher def/res) ... Well mine is +res... he technically can survive magic hit. Or maybe not if they hit twice.

Anyone managed to make a Hawkeye viable? (just for fun?)

@Sire (shoulda post it on your thread)

Edited by Ryuke

18 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

Swordbreaker Nowi is the meta right now because you can simply bait and one-round Falchions, aka the stuff that's supposed to counter her. On a pure dragon team, this is a godsend. Consider replacing her A Skill with Triangle Adept over Defense Plus. On Defense, Quick Riposte is definitely better because of her bulk and attack power, giving her Effie-levels of offense while remaining much more versatile. Vantage is fine though. Writing this really makes me want to pull her now...

Wow, I have a 4* one waiting for feathers, this makes me think she has a lot of potential. The thing is that I already have a blue in the team (-spd + res Catria) and I was thinking in building up my Julia before anything else. My core is Catria-Eirika-MRobin (MVP); choices for the 4th are Julia/Raven (both 5*s) or any 4* I may upgrade, being Nowi one of the possible choices, along with Nino (I already have Julia), Tharja (good sinergy with Eirika),Lilina...

In case I decide for Nowi, I'll give her TA (A), Moonbow (Special) and Quick Riposte if possible (I only have access to the 2 version atm, via Subaki). Would Vantage 3 be better than QR 2?

10 minutes ago, Pimalai said:

Wow, I have a 4* one waiting for feathers, this makes me think she has a lot of potential. The thing is that I already have a blue in the team (-spd + res Catria) and I was thinking in building up my Julia before anything else. My core is Catria-Eirika-MRobin (MVP); choices for the 4th are Julia/Raven (both 5*s) or any 4* I may upgrade, being Nowi one of the possible choices, along with Nino (I already have Julia), Tharja (good sinergy with Eirika),Lilina...

In case I decide for Nowi, I'll give her TA (A), Moonbow (Special) and Quick Riposte if possible (I only have access to the 2 version atm, via Subaki). Would Vantage 3 be better than QR 2?

I think overall Nowi is going to be a good replacement for Catria or Robin eventually, I agree that building up Julia should be your priority.

Julia is an absolute monster, able to completely check popular threats like Linde or Robin while taking little to no damage, ORKOs all Ephraims and comes close with Effie, one-shots blue dragons by a huge margin (you'll be hitting like 78x2 on Nowi or something ridiculous like that), and can even 2HKO (I have Darting Blow on a +Spd Julia so it's a ORKO :P) Y!Tiki despite WTD. Julia is such an amazing unit that you has carried me through many a match, and you won't regret using her. 

18 minutes ago, Tuvy said:

can we expect the teir list to change due to this?

The tier list in the wiki is specifically mentioned to only account for vanilla skills. The wording of the April update implies that after the update, it will be less likely for players who use skill inheritance to be matched against players who don't ("less likely", not "impossible"), so there will likely be two separate tier lists once the skill inheritance meta stabilizes.

41 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

I think overall Nowi is going to be a good replacement for Catria or Robin eventually, I agree that building up Julia should be your priority.

Julia is an absolute monster, able to completely check popular threats like Linde or Robin while taking little to no damage, ORKOs all Ephraims and comes close with Effie, one-shots blue dragons by a huge margin (you'll be hitting like 78x2 on Nowi or something ridiculous like that), and can even 2HKO (I have Darting Blow on a +Spd Julia so it's a ORKO :P) Y!Tiki despite WTD. Julia is such an amazing unit that you has carried me through many a match, and you won't regret using her. 

Yep, I really need a counter for those blues out there. I was thinking Life & Death for A, but I'd need to sacrifice my only 4* Hana (and settle for L&D 2); or Death Blow from Hawkeye (also 2). Fury + Vantage is viable atm for me too. Ardent Sacrifice from Florina is tempting too, to proc Vantage. For the special, Moonbow is an easy option, but Glacies could work too (it can be too slow though).

I want to decide beforehand to not waste SPs! I think I'll keep Naga and Breath of Life, so it ends:

• W: Naga
  • Assist: Ardent Sacrifice
  • Special: Glacies?
  • A: Death Blow 2
  • B: Vantage 3
  • C: Breath of Life 3

How do you see this?

Edited by Pimalai

17 minutes ago, Pimalai said:

Yep, I really need a counter for those blues out there. I was thinking Life & Death for A, but I'd need to sacrifice my only 4* Hana (and settle for L&D 2); or Death Blow from Hawkeye (also 2). Fury + Vantage is viable atm for me too. Ardent Sacrifice from Florina is tempting too, to proc Vantage. For the special, Moonbow is an easy option, but Glacies could work too (it can be too slow though).

Death Blow (A) + Vantage (B) + Ardent Sacrifice (assist) is my choice right now... I want to decide beforehand to not waste SPs! I think I'll keep Naga and Breath of Life.

How do you see this?

What nature is your Julia? Because that'll affect what she should inherit. For example, +Spd Julia has 30 spd, and LoD 3 gives 5 spd. Since neutral Y!Tiki has 30 spd, you'd need LoD 3 to double and ORKO neutral Y!Tiki (LoD 2 wouldn't cut it). If I were you, I'd run some other calculations to see how she does in important matchups. In my personal opinion, I'd go with Fury over LoD (you can get Fury 3 from 4* Hinata, I believe) as long as you don't miss any important cutoffs taking Fury 3 over LoD 2 both because it adds to your bulk and also is an easy way to get you into Vantage range, if that's what you wanted to run. 

The additional bulk of Fury also helps in a lot more than you'd think. From personal experience, my Julia is -HP, so neutral Hector would do exactly 35 damage to me (and I have 34 HP). If I had Fury in this instance, the extra 3 def would be enough to keep me alive to hit Hector a second time and finish him off.

For the special, I'd actually recommend sticking with Dragon Fang. Dragon Fang is better than Moonbow in terms of damage unless the enemy has high res, but most units in this game have low res (and -res is one of the most common banes as well). Also, running Dragon Fang lets you do stuff like one-shot Effie from full, which Moonbow would not be able to achieve if you had neutral Julia vs neutral Effie. 

EDIT: Also Ardent Sacrifice is fine as an assist.

Double EDIT: I just ran some calcs, and even +Atk Julia would barely fail to OHKO -Res Effie from full if using Moonbow over Dragon Fang. So yeah, I'd just stick with Dragon Fang. 

Edited by MaskedAmpharos

19 minutes ago, Pimalai said:

I want to decide beforehand to not waste SPs! I think I'll keep Naga and Breath of Life, so it ends:

• W: Naga
  • Assist: Ardent Sacrifice
  • Special: Glacies?
  • A: Death Blow 2
  • B: Vantage 3
  • C: Breath of Life 3

How do you see this?

Life and Death / Death Blow work much better on units carrying Brave weapons, as it turns the +5 / +6 attack into an effective 10 or 12 extra damage. What stat spread is your Julia? In general Fury helps compensate for her low rating but @MaskedAmpharos mentioned Darting Blow is pretty great for slow blues too. Consider Bowbreaker for your B Skill, because Takumi doubles and ORKO's her, while having Bowbreaker completely inverts the result of that matchup. Beware enemy Kleins and Gordins though.

C Skill is fine, and the default special, Dragon Fang, doesn't need changing either. Iceberg is pretty good for the lower CD and 16 extra damage, though. As for the Assist, it depends on what the rest of your team needs. Julia isn't particularly bulky on the physical side and has no means of self-healing, so Ardent Sacrifice might not be a good idea. Consider a positioning skill like Pivot or Draw Back instead.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Ninja'd

Edited by MrSmokestack

4 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Life and Death / Death Blow work much better on units carrying Brave weapons, as it turns the +5 / +6 attack into an effective 10 or 12 extra damage. What stat spread is your Julia? In general Fury helps compensate for her low rating but @MaskedAmpharos mentioned Darting Blow is pretty great for slow blues too. Consider Bowbreaker for your B Skill, because Takumi doubles and ORKO's her, while having Bowbreaker completely inverts the result of that matchup. Beware enemy Kleins and Gordins though.

C Skill is fine, and the default special, Dragon Fang, doesn't need changing either. Iceberg is pretty good for the lower CD and 16 extra damage, though. As for the Assist, it depends on what the rest of your team needs. Julia isn't particularly bulky on the physical side and has no means of self-healing, so Ardent Sacrifice might not be a good idea. Consider a positioning skill like Pivot or Draw Back instead.

Hope this helps!

Oh yeah, good mention. I actually run Bowbreaker for my Julia's B-skill for precisely this reason, so I do think it's a solid option. Vantage only works at 2 range with Julia, so it would only be effective against mages and archers (and thieves, but those are rare aside from Kagero, who just one-shots Julia anyways). Julia has incredibly high res, so she doesn't really fear mages, and Bowbreaker takes care of, well, archers. If you don't have Bowbreaker, Vantage is still a decent option, but BB is another thing to consider.

Edited by MaskedAmpharos

Interesting...

The thing is that I already have a Triangle Adept Robin that gets rid of archers so easily, so he's my primary option to bait everything colourless. That's why I didn't consider bowbreaker at first (and I would have to spen 2k feathers on my only Setsuna).

Vantage only working at 2 range is an interesting argument against it for B slot.

For A, I can have Darting Blow 3 from Tharja or Florina.

I'll keep Dragon Fang for sure.

PD: sadly, I don't even know Julia's boon/bane, as I did't check when I pulled her and started levelling up right away. I don't think there's a way to know before she makes it to level 40 (she's still 30).

Edited by Pimalai

4 minutes ago, Pimalai said:

Interesting...

The thing is that I already have a Triangle Adept Robin that gets rid of archers so easily, so he's my primary option to bait everything colourless. That's why I didn't consider bowbreaker at first (and I would have to spen 2k feathers on my only Setsuna).

Vantage only working at 2 range is an interesting argument against it for B slot.

For A, I can have Darting Blow 3 from Tharja or Florina.

I'll keep Dragon Fang for sure.

What nature is your Julia? I only took Darting bc it's exactly what I needed with my +Spd nature to double specific threats, but otherwise I think you're better off running Fury. And if you already have bows covered, then you should honestly be fine with using Vantage. Alternatively, you could run Quick Riposte to deal with Linde on the counterattack. Another option, if you have a fast Julia (probably +Spd with Darting Blow) is to give her Desperation for her B-slot.

EDIT: Of these options, I personally favor Quick Riposte, but I think you'll be fine going with another skill, like Vantage, if that's what you wanted. 

Edited by MaskedAmpharos

6 hours ago, Ryuke said:

Hawkeye with Quick Riposte / Distant Counter. (Yeah.. the same duo)

He will Riposte at least twice? (Because of his higher def/res) ... Well mine is +res... he technically can survive magic hit. Or maybe not if they hit twice.

Anyone managed to make a Hawkeye viable? (just for fun?)

@Sire (shoulda post it on your thread)

He should be able to counter twice with Quick Riposte, even against ranged attacks because Distant Counter is present. The Quick Riposte also helps Hawkeye charge up his special faster too.

As for skills, just let him keep the Threaten Atk so it helps with his survivability. I would give him Reciprocal Aid to try and keep his HP high for Quick Riposte, but it is probably better to just run a healer when using Hawkeye and give him an assist skill of your choice.

So, Hawkeye with a Killer Axe+, Growing Light, (Assist Skill*), Distant Counter*, Quick Riposte*, and Threaten Atk should be viable, especially against Blue units. I don't know if he will be as viable in the Arena due to the number of Reds, but he should be fine for casual play elsewhere. I would also recommend running a healer when using Hawkeye, while he has good DEF & RES, his low SPD has Hawkeye being doubled easily and he will take lots of damage.