Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

8 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

why not just say unit die, since Perma death and all

Because some people can't fall there and must make their retreat! (Well, because some people don't die. L'Arachel, Seth, etc.)

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

but even they aren't ko'd, they retreat

Maybe they hire someone else to say their death quotes.

Clearly they sleepwalk away after being knocked out.

---

I'd say, if there's on aspect of Unsung War I'm not too fond of is the plane management. Since if I want the entire squadron to fly the same plane, I have to buy one for each! Thankfully AC in general (at least definitely for the PS2 games) operates on a 1:1 buy/sell cost, so there is never money lost. Still...

I should probably switch my lead plane for my next go at Mission 18. Considering M18+ and all...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

That's what I thought at first, too, when I played the game, but I quickly discovered how fun it is to draw your own map.
And especially in more labyrinth-like dungeons, it really helps remembering where you have to go and what squares to avoid, so repeat treks through dungeon floors will become a lot easier depending on how thorough you are your first time through.
And since you can draw your own map, you can personalize it to your heart's content. I already spoke of different floor colors, but you can mark down pretty much anything you think is worth noting or anything you think might come in handy later on.
Not to mention it just adds to the immersion. I know that line is a meme by now, but it really feels like you're actually exploring literally uncharted territory.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I have to second everything said here, it's part of the essential EO experience. I find a weird joy in jotting down a note for every scripted event I come across, which I rewrite when the event is done if need be to remember what the outcome/best outcome is.

I see.  I can understand the appeal. And i imagine for some, it invokes the nostalgic feeling of playing a game in the 80s and 90s and jotting down notes because the Internet didn't exist so you had to make the guides yourself.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

My hopes shift to August for now. The month is almost entirely empty according to this.

I can see that. We still don't know much about what's coming this second half of the year. I believe the only major releases at the moment are

• Paper Mario: The Origami King
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Crash Bandicoot 4
  • Cyberpunk 2077

And that's really it. Games like Bravely Default 2 only have a tentative 2020 release. And after Paper Mario, Nintendo has no other (that we know of) major releases for the year (BotW 2 doesn't even have a release year yet)

Edited by Armagon

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I can see that. We still don't know much about what's coming this second half of the year. I believe the only major releases at the moment are

• Paper Mario: The Origami King
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Crash Bandicoot 4
  • Cyberpunk 2077

Even Western gaming is having it empty great time to say "I can work on my backlog"? The PS5 & XBS1 should be releasing by year's end, but it's striking to know that the other half of the market is having empty days too.

And after Paper Mario, Nintendo has no other (that we know of) major releases for the year (BotW 2 doesn't even have a release year yet)

If BotW2 was at all interrupted by COVID, I would think I would be delayed even if it didn't strictly need it, as a precaution. It's very likely be an "evergreen title" as Nintendo has coined it- a big name hit intended to generate sales throughout its release system's lifespan. A title like that deserves all the care it can get before its out the door.

I don't think people will complain about a 2021 release, but when? Fall/holidays seems too late, spring too early, maybe it'd be the rare summer smash hit?

49 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I liked TTYD but i think it's Holy Grail status is overblown.

Thats pretty inevitable maybe if Nintendo gave us more PMs in the original/TTYD style, people wouldn't worship it as much.

For me, it's yet more "childhood". Though in retrospect I concede:

• Too much backtracking- Chapter 4 is Hell, and General White is Satan.
  • The Glitz Pit looses its coolness after a first playthrough.
  • The Poshley Express is too peaceful (but I liked its change of pace).
  • Chapters 1 and 5 are thematic rehashes of the first PM.
  • The characters and world are charming, but not deep, as is to be expected from Mario.
  • Boggly Woods is drab and kinda mediocre overall.
  • And even as a child I saw some of the TEC-Peach moments were bizarre.

And as a bonus, I admit to never finishing the Pit of 100 Trials.

I'll say love the original as much or almost as much as TTYD too. And SPM isn't bad, if a tad weak in gameplay in its somewhat awkward straddling of action RPG and platformer, and the Flopside Pit of 100 Trials is awful.

As for Origami King, first, reviews, second, get it ideally on sale. I'm still open to Sticker Star-styled if it's made improvements, despite me in the end not getting Color Splash (why no Switch port of this?). I just have to change my outlook going into it.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

26 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The PS5 & XBS1 should be releasing by year's end, but it's striking to know that the other half of the market is having empty days too.

Even the PS5 only seems to be having two launch titles at most right now. It's got Spider-Man: Miles Morales in the Winter and NBA 2021 (lmaooooo) in the Fall. Covid could potentially cause the PS5 to have the worst launch lineup in a long time.

26 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm still open to Sticker Star-styled if it's made improvements, despite me in the end not getting Color Splash (why no Switch port of this?). I just have to change my outlook going into it.

It actually seems to be leaning more towards the 64/TTYD style of gameplay than the Sticker Star/Color Splash one. Kinda like how Super Mario Party was a return to form, even if not exactly.

Edited by Armagon

But i also thought Sticker Star wasn't actually that bad so 🤷‍♂️.

Ah, I see, you are actually my mortal enemy, I understand now, it's time to go to war.

I liked TTYD but i think it's Holy Grail status is overblown. But i also thought Sticker Star wasn't actually that bad so 🤷‍♂️.

I didn't mean to imply that I thought it was perfect or anything, I just like the battle system and such much more, personally. I liked Super Paper Mario, to be fair as well. But your right, it is a bit high on its pillar, but plenty of games have that, to be fair.

18 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This about to be us

Screenshot_2447.png?width=1025&height=427

Disgraceful.

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I didn't mean to imply that I thought it was perfect or anything, I just like the battle system and such much more, personally. I liked Super Paper Mario, to be fair as well. But your right, it is a bit high on its pillar, but plenty of games have that, to be fair.

I don't think it's perfect either, I just prefer the first two gameplay-wise. Super Paper Mario is good as well but I do also think it has some glaring issues, but that's okay.
I just really can't stand the Sticker Star formula. Especially when your gameplay formula makes fighting battles literally worthless because of how the game is designed.

8 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

I say as I killed her in my first playthrough, because I didn't recruit anyone and didn't start with Golden Deer...

You're forgiven once more.

You can't really know about her, if you play this game for the first game and play not the group she belongs to.

I played GD first, so yeah, I was aware about her awesomeness instantly.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

I see.  I can understand the appeal. And i imagine for some, it invokes the nostalgic feeling of playing a game in the 80s and 90s and jotting down notes because the Internet didn't exist so you had to make the guides yourself.

That reminds me that I read somewhere that the creator of Etrian Odyssey deliberately designed the games to invoke the feeling of classic adventure games from those times you mentioned.

6 hours ago, Caster said:

Ah, I see, you are actually my mortal enemy, I understand now, it's time to go to war.

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

This about to be us

Screenshot_2447.png?width=1025&height=427

Right now, I feel like the protagonist of SMTIV watching his two friends slowly becoming mortal enemies over their different ideals and viewpoints...

5 hours ago, Falcom Knight said:

You're forgiven once more.

You can't really know about her, if you play this game for the first game and play not the group she belongs to.

I played GD first, so yeah, I was aware about her awesomeness instantly.

Funny thing is, before the game came out and we didn't know anything about the characters, I initially wanted to join the Golden Deer house because of Lysithea's outstanding character design.
But then Dimitri and Annette as well as the color blue (which happens to be my favorite color along with purple) drew me towards the Blue Lions instead.

And speaking of Three Houses, my Blue Lions run is going pretty well so far.
Dimitri got past his Speed-screwage and has been gaining Speed rather consistently lately, Mercedes wants to be the second coming of Lysithea (her growths have been insanely good), Ashe has been getting some very good level-ups, as did Ingrid, finally. The only ones that are falling off a little right now are actually Sylvain, who for some reason refuses to level Strength, and Dedue, whose Speed could use some work. But I'm used to that from him, so I'm not too mad about it. You can tell Dedue is tailor made to be an Armor Knight.
Annette's growths have been weird. She's been gaining a lot of Strength, almost as if she wants to be a physical unit, to the point where she has equal Strength to Sylvain, who is a Cavalier, while she is a Mage... which gives me flashbacks to @Shrimperor's insanely buff Soren.

I'm also not using any New Game+ benefits like the ability to get previously unlocked support levels, so recruiting other characters has been rather slow (as in, I haven't gotten anyone yet). I want to recruit Caspar to unlock Mercedes' paralogue, as well as Lysithea, because not recruiting her feels wrong. Which will probably also "force" me to S-support her once again, because not doing so also feels wrong.
Haven't really thought about getting anyone else, though. Maybe Catherine, because she has a paralogue with Ashe and some dialogue post-time skip.

Edited by DragonFlames

8 hours ago, Caster said:

I don't think it's perfect either, I just prefer the first two gameplay-wise. Super Paper Mario is good as well but I do also think it has some glaring issues, but that's okay.
I just really can't stand the Sticker Star formula. Especially when your gameplay formula makes fighting battles literally worthless because of how the game is designed.

If anything I hate from sticker star, its where magikoopa changes all of your stickers into all the same thing, so you have no idea if your wasting valuable stickers or not. That was just dumb.

Personally, I just want them to bring stuff like badges back, and make the game more interesting again.

Edited by lightcosmo

3 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Annette's growths have been weird. She's been gaining a lot of Strength, almost as if she wants to be a physical unit, to the point where she has equal Strength to Sylvain, who is a Cavalier, while she is a Mage... which gives me flashbacks to @Shrimperor's insanely buff Soren.

Atleast in 3H you can do something with that

like turning Annette into a Wyvern or something (and then into a Dark Flier if you still want access to magic)

Well, i say atleast, while in RD 27 STR allowed Soren to double with Siege tomes XD

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Atleast in 3H you can do something with that

like turning Annette into a Wyvern or something (and then into a Dark Flier if you still want access to magic)

Well, i say atleast, while in RD 27 STR allowed Soren to double with Siege tomes XD

I was thinking that this is the most useful part of a high Strength Annette, too. She isn't weighed down as much by her heavier Wind magic, so she can double more or get doubled less.
I've tried Wyvern Annette once, and it was kind of fun killing things with Bolt Axes and the Crusher, but overall I prefer her as a magic user.
I would turn her into a Dark Flier if I had the DLC for it.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

If she get's enough speed xd

And that's an If with a capital "I", because her Speed growth isn't the highest. Though I have gotten lucky with her more often than not, so we'll see!

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Pay for it, now!

Not worth the money, tbh.