• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Okay @Saint Rubenio, now that I have seen every Octopath story again, I would rank them Olberic > Alfyn > Cyrus > Tressa > Therion > Primrose > Ophelia > H’aanit.

Interesting ranking. May I ask for some short justifications?

10 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Okay @Saint Rubenio, now that I have seen every Octopath story again, I would rank them Olberic > Alfyn > Cyrus > Tressa > Therion > Primrose > Ophelia > H’aanit.

I like Olberic's story right up until the end of Chapter 3, then it became lame and bad. Same with Alfyn's, actually.

I think Ophilia's was my favorite just because it's one of the few that wasn't kinda basic that also stuck the landing at the end. H'aanit's and Tressa's were also okay to me for being pretty consistent throughout, though they were admittedly a bit plain.

I don't really remember exactly what I thought of Cyrus or Therion's. Primrose's stopped being interesting after chapter 2.

@Father Shrimpas Hopefully it's not what it sounds like. In any case, I hope you'll get better soon! Take care of yourself! ^^

---

So, Atelier Ryza 2 won't release on PS4, but on PS5 instead.
Looks like I'm getting the Switch version!

Today on "Draggy did a thing":

Spoiler

Ubf2qwE.jpgZ2le6UY.jpgCaf3Cl8.jpg

Not exactly satisfied with how Claude turned out (it was the closest I could get him), but I'm pretty proud of Edelgard and Dimitri.
This is the only reason to play Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires over regular Dynasty Warriors 8 (or XL, even). The character creation stuff is great!

With that said: Have a good one, peeps!

Edited by DragonFlames

10 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

My personal favourite JRPG is the one where you get stronger as the game progresses.

My personal favorite JRPGs are the ones where you follow Kane, Elric or the Black Company. The ones with Fafhrd and The Grey Mouser are also pretty good. I am looking forward to the series where the main character is a torturer.

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Hide contents

There's an extra kind of irony to Edelgard's "way of life", seeing as she is neither ordinary, nor a man. That joke out of the way,  I imagine quite a bit went into getting these right.
Though that Dimitri' shoulder pad is crying to me "get this and make Jagen"

4 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

There's an extra kind of irony to Edelgard's "way of life", seeing as she is neither ordinary, nor a man. That joke out of the way,  I imagine quite a bit went into getting these right.

XD

Admittedly, it didn't take me too long to make these. The character creation tool is pretty easy to use.
As for the way of life thing, this is a new save (my old one got... Thanos'd at some point), so I don't have any of the other ones you could give to your created characters.
Ordinary Man is the one every created character starts out with by default, but if you have unlocked other ones through gameplay, you could give those to your characters and they will have them when they appear in the game.

4 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Though that Dimitri' shoulder pad is crying to me "get this and make Jagen"

It should theoretically be possible to make a Jagen lookalike, at the very least.
I could try that, now that I think about it.

Edited by DragonFlames

12 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

So, Atelier Ryza 2 won't release on PS4, but on PS5 instead.
Looks like I'm getting the Switch version!

Yeah, I can agree with this, Switch version it is for me as well.

27 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Interesting ranking. May I ask for some short justifications?

I thought it over some more and Ophelia deserves to be higher than Tressa and all those who come after. So that would make it Olberic > Alfyn > Cyrus > Ophelia > Tressa > Therion > Primrose > H’aanit

If I were to give some justifications, well Olberic’s has a nice mystery to keep me entertained for the first two/three chapters, the first one did a great job at setting up his character and motivations, the second one was great at developing said mystery and the tournament fights were cool. As far as chapter 3, Erhardt is cool, I like how the story doesn’t kill him off and instead has him learn, and also didn’t make him a cartoon villain. In chapter 4, Riverford is a very interesting setting considering what’s happened, and the resistance was a cool story.

Wait that wasn’t short at all... I’ll try to go shorter. Alfyn: explores apothecary ideals in a deeper way than I was expecting. Cyrus: The true mystery story, with the mystery also being developed pretty greatly, and then sort of falling flat on the end when (spoilers) did everything because........? Knowledge is power or something? Vague, but everything else was well done, so overall it’s good. Ophelia: Chapter 2 is filler. Other than that the evil cult is actually pretty interesting, because unlike in most games, they don’t show up and get immediately explained away the exact one second they’re relevant to the plot. Tressa: Nice adventure story and I liked the ending, her second chapter was pretty random and weak but Leon Bastralle is a great character in chapter 3, and I like how Tressa grows at the end. The villain at the end isn’t explained in the chapter though (as in her motivations). That’s not cool. Therion: I liked the subplot with Darius and think he was a well done character, I like that that conflict takes center stage at the end. The chapters without him are okay, fairly basic. Primrose: Her first chapter is fantastic. One of the best in the game. The others are unendingly boring, especially chapter 2. Basically nothing happens there, 3 develops her life with the same barebones structure of her just killing the guy she wants to and that’s all that happens, we have almost no reason to care about the twist at the end (we know almost nothing about him or his relationship with Primrose!), and four is the same but instead of developing her life, spends the whole time acting like we cared about what we learned last time, and since it’s all highly irrelevant, we don’t. Or at least, I don’t. H’aanit: Her first chapter was alright, a nice introduction and then... what actually happens in 2 and 3? She goes to a town in 2, hears of where her master might be, goes there and fights an angry monster, and then sets out again knowing Redeye can petrify... we didn’t need a whole chapter for that. Chapter 3 exists solely so we can learn there is a cure and a way H’aanit can fight Redeye without being petrified... and that’s it. Chapter 4 she goes and gets the help of the people in the town nearest the monster and then fights it. This story feels really dragged out to fit the 4 chapter quota. 2 and 3 should have been the same chapter without the angry monster fight of 2, and 4 should have something else going on and then it would be entertaining.

Oops that wasn’t short at all... Anyway, I forgot your rankings other than Cyrus at the top and Tressa and Therion at the bottom. Care to remind me?

18 minutes ago, Robert Stewart said:

I like Olberic's story right up until the end of Chapter 3, then it became lame and bad. Same with Alfyn's, actually.

Chapter 4 Alfyn was one of my favorites :’)

18 minutes ago, Robert Stewart said:

I don't really remember exactly what I thought of Cyrus or Therion's. Primrose's stopped being interesting after chapter 2.

Her story stopped being interesting after Chapter 1, imo. And that one was good too...

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Yeah, I can agree with this, Switch version it is for me as well.

I refuse to be an early adopter for consoles. I'll wait until the price drops and there are a lot more games on the system, or if my PS4 breaks for any reason. Whichever happens first.

Just now, Armagon said:

What?

*Looks it up* 

No seriously, what? I can't find news of this.

I looked at the release calendar for Playstation 4 on GameFAQs and Atelier Ryza 2 was nowhere to be found on there.
Now, they might be completely wrong, but... I may get the Switch version anyway. I need to expand my library anyhow!

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

Admittedly, it didn't take me too long to make these. The character creation tool is pretty easy to use.
As for the way of life thing, this is a new save (my old one got... Thanos'd at some point), so I don't have any of the other ones you could give to your created characters.
Ordinary Man is the one every created character starts out with.

That makes sense. Sort of sucks about the save file though, but with data that kind of thing's bound to happen now and then.

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

It should theoretically be possible to make a Jagen lookalike, at the very least.
I could try that, now that I think about it.

If you do, I'd love to see the result.

17 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Today on "Draggy did a thing":

Reveal hidden contents

Not exactly satisfied with how Claude turned out (it was the closest I could get him), but I'm pretty proud of Edelgard and Dimitri.

Wow this is cool. What does leadership do though?

This is the only reason to play Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires over regular Dynasty Warriors 8 (or XL, even). The character creation stuff is great!

Do you get to use these characters in the story?

With that said: Have a good one, peeps!

Nooo come back!

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Chapter 4 Alfyn was one of my favorites :’)

Spoiler

I didn't like his Chapter 4 because it felt to me like it kind of sidestepped giving an actual answer to the moral quandary Chapter 3 posed. But maybe I'd think differently if I played it again.

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Her story stopped being interesting after Chapter 1, imo. And that one was good too...

I like her Chapter 2 well enough. But it's been a while since I played it, so maybe a revisit would change things.

Spoiler

My main issue with her Ch3 was that it suddenly introduced a bunch of characters that were supposed to feel like big betrayals, when they hadn't been built up at all.

Simeon in particular was disappointing. The moment he appeared I could tell he was either going to be evil or die. And then he just wasn't a terribly interesting villain afterwards.

Edited by Robert Stewart

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I looked at the release calendar for Playstation 4 on GameFAQs and Atelier Ryza 2 was nowhere to be found on there.

It's definitely coming to PS4.

When in doubt, look at official sources.

Anyways FYI, there are save transfer bonuses for this game so I personally recommend sticking to the PS4 version in your case. But it's your call in the end.

5 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I refuse to be an early adopter for consoles. 

Same, although the Switch was an exception. Good launch year.

Other than that, buying consoles at launch is a mistake.

13 minutes ago, Robert Stewart said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I didn't like his Chapter 4 because it felt to me like it kind of sidestepped giving an actual answer to the moral quandary Chapter 3 posed. But maybe I'd think differently if I played it again.

Spoiler

“So you’re a stinkin’ murderer. A sinner, huh? Great! Like I give a damn! It ain’t my job to choose who lives and who dies! I ain’t no god! If it’s in my power to help a body, I’ll be damned if that ain’t what I’m gonna do! That’s why I became an apothecary! That’s what I believe in!” -Alfyn, chapter 4

I like her Chapter 2 well enough. But it's been a while since I played it, so maybe a revisit would change things.

You know what happens in her chapter 3? It’s basically that and nothing else, but instead of the character being important, they’re just a lore dump.

Reveal hidden contents

My main issue with her Ch3 was that it suddenly introduced a bunch of characters that were supposed to feel like big betrayals, when they hadn't been built up at all.

Simeon in particular was disappointing. The moment he appeared I could tell he was either going to be evil or die. And then he just wasn't a terribly interesting villain afterwards.

My thoughts exactly, I couldn’t have said it better. And her first chapter was so great.

Edit: I don’t know why I spoiler tagged that.

Edited by Sooks

Just now, The Roger The Paladin said:

That makes sense. Sort of sucks about the save file though, but with data that kind of thing's bound to happen now and then.

It wouldn't be as bad if some of the more elusive Ways of Life weren't dependent on RNG-related things, in particular the Strategist-related ones are quite the hassle to get.

2 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

If you do, I'd love to see the result.

Of course! ^^

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Wow this is cool. What does leadership do though?

There is an interesting system in play here:
Troops act as something of an "extra life". If you get defeated in a battle, you come back at the cost of troop strength. Every 1,000 troops gives you an extra life, basically. And Leadership deremines how many troops a character can have with them (multiplied by 100, so if you have 275 Leadership, you can bring a maximum 2,750 soldiers with you, which equals two retries).

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Do you get to use these characters in the story?

The thing about the Empires games is that they don't really have a story to speak of, except one you make up on your own, perhaps.
It's basically a sandbox that plops you into the Three Kingdoms era of China (the setting Dynasty Warriors takes place in), and says "here's your map, here are your kingdoms, now go ham!". It's part-musou, part strategy game, where your goal is to lead a nation and eventually unify the land under your rule.
And you're free to play as anyone you want, whether it's a character already in the game or a character of your own creation.

7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Nooo come back!

I just wanted y'all to have a good day! I'm still here! xD

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

Worry not Sooks, none shall find Draggy wanting, for the Emperor walks with him.

I don't need no Emperor.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It's definitely coming to PS4.

When in doubt, look at official sources.

Oh! Neat! Thank you!

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Anyways FYI, there are save transfer bonuses for this game so I personally recommend sticking to the PS4 version in your case. But it's your call in the end.

Hmm, that does make me reconsider. Will probably have to look into what this bonus entails.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Other than that, buying consoles at launch is a mistake.

Yup!

The thing about the Empires games is that they don't really have a story to speak of, except one you make up on your own, perhaps.
It's basically a sandbox that plops you into the Three Kingdoms era of China (the setting Dynasty Warriors takes place in), and says "here's your map, here are your kingdoms, now go ham!". It's part-musou, part strategy game, where your goal is to lead a nation and eventually unify the land under your rule.
And you're free to play as anyone you want, whether it's a character already in the game or a character of your own creation.

Hmm what’s this game called?

It's called Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires.
It's on PS4 and PC, iirc.
A Switch version exists, too, but that one is Japan exclusive, as far as I'm aware.

I will probably pick it up someday!

18 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Oops that wasn’t short at all..

Hahahah... Well, that's all right. I can't say I agree with some of the things you said, but that's what opinions are all about, after all!

19 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I forgot your rankings other than Cyrus at the top and Tressa and Therion at the bottom. Care to remind me?

Cyrus > Ophelia > H'aanit > Primrose > Olberic > Alfyn > Therion > Tressa

Though I did enjoy them all. Even Tressa, since it has Captain Leon. Honestly, I think half the reason her chapter 4 feels as bad as it does is that it doesn't have Captain Leon. His character is resolved well, but too early, and Ali just can't pick up the slack.