Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Just now, Shrimperor said:

Why is it odd though? Viewing some group convos from the pov from a different character could help quite a bit in characterization, i think

It can. In theory.

Messing with perspectives like that can become a bit of a mess, if we're talking about shifting from outside a particular character's perspective to suddenly viewing a conversation from one character's perspective (e.g. the mousy member of a band of trainees who are deciding how they approach the upcoming battle and their input changing how others perceive them or the disgruntled lord who could decide in the middle of a boring negotiation to throw the table away and ask why are they dancing around the facts of the war they're trying to end.) all the time.

Personally being not from a specific character's perspective is preferable (in that while it is certainly following that character's journey being that character can be a wrinkle too far. As FE has seen 4 times now)

• Replies 177.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

11 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Every statement that you disagree with is "bad faith."

points to the unpopular opinion thread

points to the "soooooo whatcha' playing?" thread

points to this thread

751539947273715823.png?v=1

Ah yes because expecting all stories to be the exact same is totally a good faith argument. Or that saying something is bad because you personally don’t like is totally worthy of further narrative discourse. Or saying that Sumia hitting Chrom is indicative of domestic abuse when it isn’t and all that does is down play actual domestic abuse victims and their trauma. But no because I called someone for saying something stupid. I’m the toxic one. I’m just saying before you give me shit for invalidating someone else’s opinions maybe you should look in a mirror first.

or you know what else is a bad faith argument. Intentionally cherry-picking and misrepreseing information. That is factually a bad faith argument. I don’t care what the hell your personal preference is. You do that and you’re arguing in bad faith.

Edited by Ottservia

6 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Every statement that you disagree with is "bad faith."

points to the unpopular opinion thread

points to the "soooooo whatcha' playing?" thread

points to this thread

Isn’t the watcha’ playing thread just about... what we’re playing?

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Isn’t the watcha’ playing thread just about... what we’re playing?

It should be, but that has not always been the case.

Just now, Kasumi Yoshizawa said:

Why do I see every day see this Renne picture?

Furthermore since it's a picture even from Cold Steel IV?

It's an emoji from the reddit FE discord server. I have it saved in my bookmarks to use whenever.

28 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Because RD is my favorite FE game and I want the next entries to be like it. That's reason enough.

Not to mention we live in a world where more is possible and we've become accustomed to wanting it. For most of human history, so I'm told, people read a few works intensively. Sure there were always more works of literature being produced (I think a Buddhist canon list complied in the medieval era comprised over 1000 texts), but not at such a rate in a given section of a disconnected world that it was unmanageable.

Besides being about all sorts of important things, scripture was so heavily commentated on and woven into everything else that gotten written and or made into visual art, because there wasn't much else to read. (And, no holy book is a pamphlet, there is no shortage of chapters on a variety of topics to read again and again.)

From what I once read, it was late 1600s into 1700s Europe where, with the printing press a century-old, the use of vernacular in serious writing ever growing, and the invention of the easily digestible novel, that literary output reached such fecundity that most humans made the shift. The shift from intensive reading of a few books, to a voracious appetite of shallower reading of more and yet unceasingly more stories. 

Like guys you can’t just say “In my opinion Ike doesn’t develop as a character at all through PoR and RD but that’s just my opinion so you can’t correct me for saying something wrong otherwise you’re saying I’m not allowed to have an opinion” like that’s not how that works

Just now, Ottservia said:

Like guys you can’t just say “In my opinion Ike doesn’t develop as a character at all through PoR and RD but that’s just my opinion so you can’t correct me for saying something wrong otherwise you’re saying I’m not allowed to have an opinion” like that’s not how that works

That's the very definition of an opinion. Aspects like nuance aren't something you can force into the mold of objectivity.

9 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Maybe, and this is just a thought, instead of "calling people out for saying 'stupid things'" (in the first place, who or what gave you the authority to decide what is and isn't stupid?), you should just leave people be?
Like, I like Celica, but I'm not going around "correcting" people that her actions are not an example of bad writing, but very much in-character for someone like her, whenever the subject comes up. It's the others' view that that plot point is stupid, and they are free to think so, just as I am free to think that it's not.

All I did was remind you that comparing stories is a tried and true technique of literary and story analysis.
That I went off on a tangent on my hatred of Fates is my fault, and I apologize for that. I know you like that game and its story and that's fine by me. More power to you, in fact.

Edited by DragonFlames

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

That's the very definition of an opinion. Aspects like nuance aren't something you can force into the mold of objectivity.

Here’s the thing about that. By the definition of what character development is Ike does develop as a character. He is shown to explicitly change throughout the course of the story. To say he doesn’t is outright misrepresenting direct information from the text simply to justify your ego. If that isn’t a bad faith argument I have no clue what is. At that point you’re cherry picking and spreading misinformation. You can’t do that in any form of discussion. You can’t just say it’s my opinion that he doesn’t because that’s just false. I can rephase the statement to be more absurd. Here’s another example:

”In my opinion Ike and Edelgard are racist but that’s just my opinion though so you can’t call me out for being wrong” 

you see the problem here?

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

Here’s the thing about that. By the definition of what character development is Ike does develop as a character. He is shown to explicitly change throughout the course of the story. To say he doesn’t is outright misrepresenting direct information from the text simply to justify your ego. If that isn’t a bad faith argument I have no clue what is. At that point you’re cherry picking and spreading misinformation. You can’t do that in any form of discussion. You can’t just say it’s my opinion that he doesn’t because that’s just false. I can rephase the statement to be more absurd.

Here's the thing about that. Whether or not a character is perceived as having developed throughout a story means different things to different people. To me, Ike doesn't develop much, if at all, in RD. Others may see it differently. Thinking that you can determine whether or not that is or isn't a valid way of thinking is absurdly presumptuous.

3 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

”In my opinion Ike and Edelgard are racist but that’s just my opinion though so you can’t call me out for being wrong” 

you see the problem here?

Yes, yes I can. You're using hyperbole to try to bolster your already illogical statements.

So i've been thinking on how to make the weapons unique without using the old good weapon triangle

Swords: Can counter attack 2 range attacks if fast enough (8+ AS difference). Basically they will have counter slice

Lances: A SRPG staple outside FE is giving them 2range/Pierce Damage, with attacks at 2 range dealing half damage, so maybe something like that?

Axes: Powerful and different effects (Luna, terrain effects, aoe, etc) but with recoil damage.

Bows: Loooooooooooooooooooong Range in general.

Maybe i should try implementing something like that in Map ™️

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

So i've been thinking on how to make the weapons unique without using the old good weapon triangle

Swords: Can counter attack 2 range attacks if fast enough (8+ AS difference). Basically they will have counter slice

Lances: A SRPG staple outside FE is giving them 2range/Pierce Damage, with attacks at 2 range dealing half damage, so maybe something like that?

Axes: Powerful and different effects (Luna, terrain effects, aoe, etc) but with recoil damage.

Bows: Loooooooooooooooooooong Range in general.

Maybe i should try implementing something like that in Map ™️

Sounds good to me!

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Yes, yes I can. You're using hyperbole to try to bolster your already illogical statements.

Hyperbolic in the case of Ike but I have actually seen people call Edelgard racist unironically and that’s just wrong. Like no she isn’t at that point if you even played the game.

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Here's the thing about that. Whether or not a character is perceived as having developed throughout a story means different things to different people.

Well if you’re going to have discussion on that sort of thing that it is your job to define what that means otherwise there’s no room for discussion or debate. You’re basically just shutting down any and all critical discourse on basis of “its all subjective so it doesn’t matter”. If there’s one thing that bothers me more than anything is spreading misinformation and from what I gather here. You’re saying it’s okay to spread misinformation and even disrespect creators simply because “it’s all subjective”. I’m sorry but I cannot agree with that. I personally don’t think it is okay to blatently lie about something simply on the basis of subjectivity. Again like you can’t just say “it’s my opinion that Edelgard is racist”(and before you call hyperbole I have seen people unironically say this) which just isn’t true and provably so. To make that claim is to spread misinformation and is blatently misrepresenting and cherry-picking the text to push an agenda. You know what they call that? A bad faith argument. 

17 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Maybe, and this is just a thought, instead of "calling people out for saying 'stupid things'" (in the first place, who or what gave you the authority to decide what is and isn't stupid?), you should just leave people be?
Like, I like Celica, but I'm not going around "correcting" people that her actions are not an example of bad writing, but very much in-character for someone like her, whenever the subject comes up. It's the others' view that that plot point is stupid, and they are free to think so, just as I am free to think that it's not.

All I did was remind you that comparing stories is a tried and true technique of literary and story analysis.
That I went off on a tangent on my hatred of Fates is my fault, and I apologize for that. I know you like that game and its story and that's fine by me. More power to you, in fact.

No point in that argument, you make any good points and he ignores you since he cant argue nuances against it he wont bother acknowledging you.

I agree with you, of course.

Comparisons are always going to be a thing, and it's perfectly understandable. I like RD's gameplay much more than PoR's. They arent 100% the same thing, but I still have that right to compare then to eachother.

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

No point in that argument, you make any good points and he ignores you since he cant argue nuances against it he wont bother acknowledging you.

You don’t gotta be an asshole Y’know. Maybe I didn’t respond because I agree and I had nothing more to add. Jesus, why do y’all gotta jump to conclusions so darned quickly

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

As demonstrated.

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Comparisons are always going to be a thing, and it's perfectly understandable. I like RD's gameplay much more than PoR's. They arent 100% the same thing, but I still have that right to compare then to eachother.

Yup, that you do!
And I'd say PoR and RD are very comparable, because, well, they're the same genre of game and in the same game series.
Though while this is probably harder to sell, I also think it's okay to compare different types of games to one another, at least from a gameplay perspective. For example, I find JRPGs to be more enjoyable than platformers or fighting games (which is also because I completely suck at both of them). Different games, but my saying so is a comparison, no?

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

As demonstrated

Or Y’know here’s another explanation for you and @lightcosmo maybe it’s also cause I have a little something called adhd and I forgot. And now if you argue the point any further, I can just say you’re being ableist.

10 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

You don’t gotta be an asshole Y’know. Maybe I didn’t respond because I agree and I had nothing more to add. Jesus, why do y’all gotta jump to conclusions so darned quickly

You, of anyone, saying that? Dont make me laugh, you act like a spoiled brat any time someone doesnt agree with you! Please theres a reason so many others have problems with you. And you know its rude not to acknowledge that he was talking to you. You arent agreeing at all, your passively ignoring, not the same thing. 

Any time someone makes a point, you never acknowledge it. Is it that hard for you to admit your wrong? Then you end up playing the victim card as a defence if all else fails. See the above post.

People dont like Fates. Get over it. Geez.

Edited by lightcosmo

13 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Well if you’re going to have discussion on that sort of thing that it is your job to define what that means otherwise there’s no room for discussion or debate. You’re basically just shutting down any and all critical discourse on basis of “its all subjective so it doesn’t matter”. If there’s one thing that bothers me more than anything is spreading misinformation and from what I gather here. You’re saying it’s okay to spread misinformation and even disrespect creators simply because “it’s all subjective”.

Did you even read a word I said?

You couldn't possibly have read anything I said if that's what you gathered from my statements.

13 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I’m sorry but I cannot agree with that. I personally don’t think it is okay to blatently lie about something simply on the basis of subjectivity. Again like you can’t just say “it’s my opinion that Edelgard is racist”(and before you call hyperbole I have seen people unironically say this) which just isn’t true and provably so. To make that claim is to spread misinformation and is blatently misrepresenting and cherry-picking the text to push an agenda. You know what they call that? A bad faith argument.

Perception is perception. You'll just have to accept that.

14 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Indeed.

9 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

You don’t gotta be an asshole Y’know...Jesus, why do y’all gotta jump to conclusions so darned quickly

I could say the same of you.

2 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Or Y’know here’s another explanation for you and @lightcosmo maybe it’s also cause I have a little something called adhd and I forgot. And now if you argue the point any further, I can just say you’re being ableist.

How was I supposed to know that?
Seriously.